Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
When does this go up on HBOGO and why is there more of a delay on this than freaking Game of Thrones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Tomorrow and nerds.

When tomorrow? Is it up a full 24hrs after it starts or will be up around noon. I seriously can't find this info anywhere. HBO is terrible about posting the schedule of how/when shows make it to HBOGO.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I dunno man, check tomorrow. Or do the thing you know can be done and live a life unburdened by desire.

Hahah I want to be legit because I love Jon Oliver and want to make sure his show gets all the views I can give it.

And its up on HBOGO now

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

That was great, and I'm incredibly tempted to download/print some of those food labels.

Man Comedy Central has to be kicking themselves. If they had offered John Oliver a show earlier he could've very nicely taken Colbert's block after a year of building an audience but instead they lost both Oliver and Colbert. This will definitely be a weekly watch for me.

Jagchosis posted:

I agree that was fantastic, and I hope the "Workplace of the Week" segment actually is a weekly thing, because that would make this show basically the only pro-labor outlet on TV... or in America for that matter.

This. I was so happy to see that bit and I hope they do it every week or at least every other week.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

I was skeptical, but I really do think that this is the best of both worlds. While I think Oliver could easily carry a full hour, the chance to only do one show a week gives them the chance to take a longer view on many issues. Whereas The Daily Show basically functions as a replacement for the nightly news, Last Week Tonight is the 60 minutes weekend breather.

Yea exactly, it's fantastic. This is much easier to keep up with than the Daily Show.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 1, 2014

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

emjayo posted:

He really, really likes Jon Stewart.

I would really like any employer who treats me the way John Stewart treats Oliver. It makes me love him more that he's so gracious and helpful about getting his people their own gigs. The Daily Show has produced some big names now and I have no doubt a lot of that is due to Stewart.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think the show is much, much stronger covering foreign affairs. Particularly given that there's huge overlap between "foreign events" and "things no one else in american news is covering"

Agreed and I think he knows that. It already feels a lot like The Bugle. I did love the Other Countries' Presidents of the United States bit. Add that to workplace of the week on a consistent cycle please.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Tokelau All Star posted:

How about that Sultan of Brunei, eh? What a card!

I couldn't stop laughing at the picture of him at the G20. He just came by because why the gently caress not.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I enjoyed the global warming poll comparison. Do owls exist? [ ] Yes [ ] No

zoux posted:

Dunno. I'm owlgnostic.

Hahah, fantastic.

Well that episode was amazing. The whole attack ad bit was the best thing he's done so far and it was utterly horrifying.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

John Oliver is just killing it. Also holy poo poo at the list of words GM banned. Kevorkianesque made me guffaw. I mean god drat. Loved the commercial they made with it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I love you. Those last two crack me up every time. Old Bowser/Old Donkey Kong is such a great gay couple.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Right Said Fred? God I love you Jon Oliver. Especially that eye chart.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

That whole episode was brilliant and I can't decide if I enjoyed the American Tail bit or the Hawking interview more. I love this show.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Who loving cares? It's comedy, they have artistic license to support or criticize the most horrific things in existence and you are free to find it boring or offensive or hilarious. The two aren't dependent on each other.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Glad he covered the Argentina story because good lord people need to get it beat into their heads that hedge funds are absurdly powerful in the modern world.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Hahah I love that they did actual investigative journalism because they found the Miss America numbers so absurd.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

God I love this show.

He, rightfully, ripped the loving poo poo out of the stupid bureaucracy for screwing those translators.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Oh my god, that dog court is the best thing they've done.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Hahah I love you Jon Oliver.

Started chuckling at the first joke about home improvement stores, laughed when I heard Offerman's voice and started rolling around when Jon Benjamin showed up. Superb.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

They're breaking for the holidays. They should be back in January.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

That was another fantastic episode but I'm sad it's going to be ages before it comes back.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Shadoer posted:

I doubt Oliver will tackle the anti-vaccine movement any time soon. A large portion of the charm of his show is that he covers issues that isn't being given much attention by the mainstream media, and anti-vaccine people have been in the news a lot.

It'd be interesting if he does anti-vaccine movements in other parts of the world. Or is it not a thing anywhere else?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

GutBomb posted:

It started in the UK and it's still a thing there

I wasn't sure if it had petered out over there or not. I was wondering if it was a thing in Australia. I know that's the birthplace of creationism so anything's possible. I would love if he did a thing on Australian creationists. His last visit where he described their racism as a comfortable slipper was amazing.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31424159

:lol: Apparently that Ecuadorian clown is some national childhood hero or something.

quote:

He focused on Correa's attempt to marshal an army of trolls against his social media critics - a story BBC Trending covered previously - but what really irritated Ecuadorians was the fact that he ridiculed one of his beloved childhood characters: Tiko Tiko the clown

I thought Australia was the birthplace of the modern creationism movement. Is that incorrect?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

xcore posted:

That parking fine stuff made me sad as hell. The USA is one broken as hell country.

Yea the long bit this week was incredibly depressing. I've heard about this sort of thing for the last few years but I hadn't realized how bad it's gotten. This has to be the worst first world country to be poor in. The entire system is built to gently caress them.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Jesus loving Christ. That is a trap designed to throw you in a debtor's prison. What the gently caress.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

That was absolutely fantastic. Good god. I still can't believe he actually played those clips to crush Snowden's spirit, but the ensuing discussion made it all the better.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Timett posted:

the Bolton song was great but whenever they do something like that, especially when you pair it with the kinda long 'unintentional silence' segment earlier in the show, it makes the episodes feel padded to me. Perhaps even more so after the longer episode we got last week. Like there should have been one more actual story discussed that we didn't get.

I think the only solution is to give LWT more time every week :colbert:

That unintentional silence bit was slaying me. God I love unintentionally captured awkwardness especially when it comes from people who are usually so fake on camera. You can just see the boredom and annoyance, it was glorious.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I have a family member who works for the IRS and they loving loved the whole bit. Apparently they've been talking about it non stop at work.

comes along bort posted:

The IRS has armed agents too, and holy gently caress does it freak out the usual idiots when they find out about it.

In some states they're all armed because everyone in the state seems to shoot at them when they pull up. Looking at you Texas.

They also have special agents for when someone is assigned to audit people suspected of organized crime. My family member actually had their tires slashed during one of those so they assigned this 6'6 jacked behemoth to go with for the next audit to the same location. Those guys are all enormous former Marine types.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Remember all those prices are Manhattan prices which are suspiciously cheap.

Anyway, I enjoyed that bit immensely and he had some great jokes this episode.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Laverna posted:

This is, what, the third time New Zealand's been mentioned? :3: I think he has a thing for us!

Although the PM hair thing is pretty hilarious, as soon as I heard about it I was hoping it'd get mentioned on here. They did not disappoint.

He just loves doing the New Zealand accent. Him saying "eminem" over and over killed me.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Another great episode. The continuing resistance in this country to treating workers with respect or any sort of dignity continues to amaze and depress. You'd think paid maternity leave would be the easiest workers protection to push through. Good luck ever increasing the average days of paid leave in this country if you can't even get paid maternity leave.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Don't worry, they have a solution for this. It's called abstinence only sex-education, or ideally, no sex-education at all.

This plus immigration has been semi effective at keep the US birth rate up but now that overall teen pregnancy rates are falling drastically the birthrate in this country is starting to dip below replacement rate. I wonder if the demographics start to look like Germany if we'll see a sudden surge for paid maternity leave.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Modern American society is the poster child for why too much individualism can be a bad thing. Suddenly, everyone in this country got to where they are through hard work, careful planning, and sacrifice with no help from a government or their community. At best their family and friends helped them and perhaps even their church but no larger human endeavor has ever contributed positively to their life or current state of well being. Being aware that the sweat of their brow is the only assistance on a long march to success they are understandably skeptical of people who have not reached the same lofty position. Surely they must be lazy and selfish to be living so low after so long. How could any fool possibly have a family or be stricken with an illness without delicately arranging their entire life to accommodate such a burden? Only the idiots and the shiftless could be so dull and irresponsible. Knowing the truth about the world how could I possibly condone giving such dregs assistance which will only encourage further poor decision making and will be paid with my own hard won gains.

This loving country. Clearly we need to start forcing Candide down every kids throat because the just world fallacy refuses to loving die.

Every single proposal to improve the lives of the poor and middle class in this country is met with resistance and that resistance always circles back around to the belief that people suffering are doing so because somehow they deserve it. How the gently caress is this so prevalent? How?

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 13, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

agatona posted:

I had no idea that some people have such strong feelings about having kids and paid maternity leave. Wow. It still surprises me that in the year 2015, there are still people who think like this.

Anyway, I enjoyed Oliver's last two episodes. Laughed a lot at the Venezuelan PM and his mangoes. I was hoping more from Oliver about the UK Elections. I thought that was going to be his main topic. Were the media talking about the UK election results a lot? Could be why he didn't focus on this much.

The entire Bugle podcast was about the elections if you want more Oliver on the UK elections. Honestly though it's a bit dense to follow other than they're quite upset about the results.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

In defense of that bit about Depp's dogs, Australia the continent/country has no rabies. It currently does not exist anywhere, so they are understandably crazy strict in order to keep it that way. Depp basically gave the government a massive middle finger. That Australian government dude was hilariously unprofessional but he was definitely right.

axeil posted:

Hey swickles your friend made a really good documentary about something I think most of America has no idea about, so good on him. Really shocked about how bad poo poo is for the farmers, it seems like they're in a no-win situation. Not a whole lot of industry in the Deep South apart from agriculture and when Big Ag fucks you like this, what are you supposed to do?

Is it just me or do all the issues over the last few weeks boil down to "large corporations need to be shackled because they're out of control." Because that seems like the overriding thesis to me. If only any politicians actually gave a poo poo...

That Ohio congresswoman effectively summed up the American labor market pretty succinctly. The businesses have all the power and the workers almost none. Giving some power back to the workers is the obvious and effective solution.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

I thought rabies was a non-factor in most of the developed world on the account of us having killed off most predators.

It still very much exists in the wild. That's what I'm saying. Random wild life does not have rabies in Australia.

JT Jag posted:

Pets owned by movie stars have no rabies either, they do not exist anywhere.

It's very easy for a dog to contract rabies in the US thanks to possums, raccoons, and other wildlife. Hopefully they've had their shots and everything but that's the entire reason the Australian gov't checks.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still remember people bitching and moaning about their pets being forcibly quarantined living on a foreign US military base both when they arrived and when they moved back.

Same. A lot of the older guys just left their pets with family in the states because they didn't want to deal with it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Gyges posted:

I've never once seen a wild python in all my years of life in America so I think the Everglades will be fine.

I like this. Also, I grew up in FL and I legit saw gigantic non-native pythons in my backyard growing up. They're a huge issue.

The best example for Australia is still rabbits. loving rabbits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Is there any shock jock radio personality that isn't a terrible human being?

• Locked thread