Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I could listen to John crush FIFA every episode. :allears:

Astro Nut posted:

A somewhat specific example within the west would be the treatment of Oliver Cromwell. A lot of people see him as a champion of early democracy, breaking the power of feudal monarchs, so forth. The Irish don't generally take kindly to that view.

Cromwell was also ~400 years ago, not 70ish. In 400 years it would be way less of an issue but gently caress at least give it a full 100 years before you start doing that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

A fair enough point.

Also, John may well do it.

Edit: And now the show twitter is getting in on it.

Hahaha yesssssssss

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

gently caress I love this show. John in those Hermes shoes chugging a Bud Light Lime was fantastic.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Solid episode and I loving loved the Carlos Danger callback. That will never get old.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Mind if I try an experiment?

I want you to try and find ten examples of John Oliver receving death or rape threats related to yesterday's episode.

If you can, I'll put up a new avatar, your choice.

You got me curious and so I dug around. First, I need a shower now. Second, it's hilarious how mild the criticism is towards Oliver specifically. It's a whole lot of "Oh no he's been convinced by those evil SJWs", or "I lost so much respect for John for making this episode."<- an actual quote.

So anyway, here's some choice bits:

some Reddit users posted:

Couldn't get through the video. The instant he brought up white male privilege I was like "gently caress it, I'm done, this is just as ignorant as his "gender wage gap" video" and turned it off.

Guys don't squander this opportunity. Rather than yelling at people in comments sections or on Twitter tell John why he is wrong and provide information as to the treachery of these people constructively. Imagine how this would bolster the community if John was to renounce Anita and wu on national television.

I knew he was as crooked as his british teeth

youtube commenters posted:

Becoming a SJW, eh ? Good for you, Oliver. Might score you some pussy.

Report this video. Issue reported: Hateful content; This video promotes hatred toward men. Timestamp selected: 3:38 Additional details: Sexist and hateful remarks.

I hope John sits down with their producers and writer after this episode to discuss the fact that they made him look like a complete retard on air and probably cost him a good number of his audience. All that by not researching properly the topic. Fire the low IQ SJW idiots you have in your staff John, you have potential, don't screw this poo poo up with nonsense like this.

There's almost no direct insults at Jon himself much less threats. It's all bemoaning another funny, well liked white man was taken in by these evil women and let down by his staff of SJWs. On the plus side, essentially no one defending the confederate flag.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

Nothing about Greece?

Almost certainly going to be something for next week. This is the week most of that goes down anyway.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

thefncrow posted:

No show next week. Next opportunity is the Sunday after, the 12th.

IRQ posted:

The vote to basically leave the EU takes places this Sunday, so even though the show is off the real meat of the story won't be until the week after this one.

Well I guess that works out then.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

I guess if there actually was still anyone not aware of that at this point they missed out on a pretty funny movie 20 years ago so go see The Road to Wellville.

Is that the one with Matthew Broderick? That was solid.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

That was loving great. I love the sports segments he does because he gets so loving fired up about it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

His FIFA segments are still my favorite segments in the show

Agreed, they're perfect.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Life is loving miserable and sports can often make it better through a variety of means. That's it, that's all it took to understand the fascination with sports. No one's surprised or cares when you don't enjoy sports but pretending it's unfathomable is loving dumb.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i actually thought the food waste segment was really well written.

Agreed. I enjoyed this one and he raised some points I wasn't entirely aware of beforehand.

IRQ posted:

It's dodging the accountability and responsibility that (is supposed to) comes with being a journalist.

At this point we should probably give up the ghost. There hasn't been any journalistic accountability or responsibility since at least the lead-up to the Iraq War if not longer. No point in pretending it's an integral component of journalism in America anymore.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Yea it's called satire. It has existed for ages before Stewart or Oliver began their shows. Satire is not journalism nor ever will be. It points out problems that are being ignored or denied in a humorous way. I've never understood the insistence on pretending they're something else. They are there to point out the absurdity of societal and political norms leaving us to decide whether or not to do something about it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

The crime rate has dropped in every major city, in every state, and in almost every country over the last 30 years. There is no policy that caused it to happen and it is the subject of a lot of debate as to how/why it fell off so consistently and quickly across the board. There's an interesting theory that it has to due with leaded gasoline being phased out causing significantly lower levels of lead in the atmosphere. Either way it doesn't have a god drat thing to do with mandatory minimums.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

That song was one of the best bits they've done thus far.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Plus half the show was about the House of Lords scandal. I genuinely thought it was the main feature because it lasted so long. It was great.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Most of this episode's issue was a repeat of the problems that America's various non-state entities face, but kind of weaker. At least the citizens of the District of Columbia get to vote for president and automatic US citizenship..

Weird that he didn't mention DC's crime rate or that one time DC's presidential elector refused to cast a vote in protest.

Well it's not the same or a repeat because it's the capital and has been a part of the US for the entirety of the country's history. It's preposterous that it has no representation while being the home of everyone else's elected officials.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Great episode.

Im definitely adding "Whole Foods: Gentrification in Edible Form" to my list of Whole Food insults.

I'm another reformed Floridian that misses Publix. That sweet tea was heavenly and I miss the sandwiches a lot too. It does everything well.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Great episode but I hadn't heard about that camerawoman. Who the gently caress kicks a child? What kind of loving supervillian are you? There are very few things that would genuinely lead me to violence but watching a woman kick migrant children running from their terrible oppressive countries is definitely near the top.

And of course people hate that segment. Anti-migrant feeling is almost always seated in racism.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

sweek0 posted:

It's an incredibly regional thing, by the way. It's interesting how the areas that have many UKIP voters, and a high number of potential Brexit voters, are also the least diverse areas. The diverse cities and areas are much more open to it.

Similar phenomenon in the US. Actually being consistently exposed to diverse groups of people helps most average humans realize everyone else is just going about their life as well and aren't some crazy bogeyman out to get them. This one of the many reasons large cities tend to be significantly more liberal than rural areas.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I strongly suspect tanning beds are one of those things where their popularity depends on where you live and what the climate is like. For instance, I live in northern Ontario, and as a result, tanning via natural sunlight has a pretty small window, time-wise. So my town of about 120,000 people has like 3 or 4 places that have tanning beds.

Hilariously enough they're incredibly popular in Florida so people can keep up the beach tan look even if the weather doesn't cooperate.

As long as the archetype of beauty for men and women remains tanned and athletic theyre going to remain popular. Alternatively someone could create a spray tan that doesn't look like orange paint

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I'm glad someone, somewhere is pushing back against the non-stop positive spin every politician gives charter schools. It's ludicrous and I wish the left would snap the gently caress out of it.

And that Trump segment was great.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Ain't that the truth.

But you can pry Last Week Tonight and Full Frontal from my cold, dead hands. Anyone who doesn't appreciate Sam needs to watch this bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usgOsNhkKVE

I've seen a decent amount of her show but somehow missed this. Thank you, it's incredible.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

sam b is funnier on her show than she ever was on the daily show

Agreed

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

axeil posted:

I just saw John Oliver's live standup show in DC.

Holy gently caress if you have the chance to go, drop whatever you are doing and go. It is incredible. I've never laughed so hard in my life.

gently caress you buddy. It's been sold out for awhile. I wanted to go :(

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Looking forward to one (hopefully) last Carlos Danger update soon.

Came here to say this. Carlos Danger rides again.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Someone doing a new thread for the new season starting tonight?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Anyone see which of the commercials aired today?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Hahaha, thank you

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

My only worry with focusing on Trump is that, even as prominent as he is, there are still plenty of bad or important things that he's not part of or not responsible for. I'm a little worried of people overlooking the whole deal with allowing ISPs to sell private information just because Trump wasn't at the center of it, and the memory of how the media fell into the trap of becoming a non-stop Trump publicity machine still makes me wary.

More importantly, one of the draws of this show has always been the fact that it goes in-depth into topics that often go overlooked. If the show's just going to be parroting whatever few stories the mainstream news got stuck on, it's going to be a lot less interesting. There's always a big load of important things that fall through the cracks. I never would've known about civil forfeiture if it wasn't for this show.

Part of this issue is that at the beginning of a new administration particularly if they have both legislative branches there are a bunch of huge laws that get pushed. It'd be ridiculous to have Oliver not discuss those which is why he's done a Main Story on ObamaCare, the Budget, and the now failed Trumpcare. When administrations stop pushing huge massive overhauls to entire sectors of the US it's a bit easier to dive into other topics.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

And Now This segments are amazing and I laugh every time. :colbert:

MiddleOne posted:

John had to stop because it was considered poor form to show recorded footage of purgatory.

Hahahah

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So it seems like net neutrality comes up every few years over and over (it's not like the first time Oliver talked about it was the first time it had ever been threatened). Is there anything an administration can do that can't just be immediately reversed by the next? Surely they shouldn't have to pass a constitutional amendment just to say "Do not bring this up again".

When or if Congress ever becomes functional again, yes this could be made into law. Even outside of partisan fuckery the reason this hasn't been pursued aggressively through Congress is because you straight up can not trust old white dudes to know poo poo about the internet. A not insignificant portion of them have their email printed out because they don't know how to access it. Basically once enough Boomers die we might actually stand a chance of politicians who know anything about modern society and not their view of how it worked based on Leave it to Beaver re-runs.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wizard on a water slide posted:

while he does some unapologetically terrible bits like the drumpf thing and has a grating manner sometimes, I'm convinced a lot of the leftists who hate the show have barely given it a chance and warped it into something it isn't in their minds

otoh he had the hamilton guy on to talk about something that had nothing to do with hamilton, so I guess he's worse than a neo-nazi and lamer than fallon

Wait are you upset that he asked a famous Puerto Rican to plead his case for bailing out Puerto Rico?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

Do you understand sarcasm?

Not this time, clearly. In my defense I was just arguing with some Trump supporters about recent events so I was in the mode of assuming the other person is deadly serious about the dumbest poo poo.

• Locked thread