Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Technogeek posted:

I can see it being a combination of CDN screwiness combined with the relatively short time between "filming concludes" and "episode airs". If nothing else, there's a lot less time between the two than there is with Game of Thrones.

When are Real Time episodes usually uploaded, for comparison purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Shakugan posted:

Ah, HBO doesn't have ads? Then it's even more ridiculous.

Yeah, premium cable is the one place where online and DVR viewings matter as much as live watches. HBO's goal is to maintain their subscriber base, and the cable companies get their cut either way, so no one cares.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The cutaway segments are there in place of the commercial breaks a broadcast/basic cable show would have. He has to say something or the cutaway would be sort of awkward.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Timett posted:

So you just have the cutaway video not say "and now..." and you get the best of both worlds, right?

I suppose. I suspect they produce the video segments so that they could be used as standalone clips on youtube or something if need be.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I don't see why it has to be one or the other. Yes, Oliver, Stewart, and Colbert are there to make people laugh. But let's not pretend for a second that Oliver and his staff didn't devote the majority of last night's episode to America's prison system because they want to start a bigger conversation about it. And they're absolutely right to, because what's going on is horrifying. At every level.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

That was both an excellent and horrifying segment and it didn't even cover one of the scariest nuke-related US fuckup allegations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515598/Launch-code-US-nuclear-weapons-easy-00000000.html

Edit: (To be fair I think there has been some dispute about the truth of this one.)

hcreight fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 28, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The claim was originally made in an article written by a Ph.D and former Air Force officer a decade ago but made rounds as a news story last December. Though from the look of it mostly on less than reputable sites (Daily Mail, Huff Post, Gizmodo).

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

One of the pictures in the intro is an Israeli flag with the fake Latin suggesting it's a complicated issue. I'm hoping it means they're giving themselves time to get it right before they do a full segment.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

rapeface posted:

I was also under the impression that even though U.S. politicians don't discuss it, the general consensus of most educated people (especially the left leaning) is that Israel is the aggressor. Is this not the case?

As the chart above kind of suggests, the breakdown correlates more to age than to education level. Young people are much more likely to believe that the literal children that make up a good portion of Gaza's population shouldn't have to suffer for the past misdeeds of the PLO and Hamas. Though it's important to point out that this is uniquely an American problem. Even in other countries where the politicians are afraid to touch Israel, like the UK and Germany, the majority of people are more sympathetic to Palestine.

I hope they roll the dice and tackle this subject, but I'll understand why if they don't. Suggesting Israel is even partially to blame will convince a lot of otherwise reasonable people that John is an anti-semite.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 30, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/503732701183348737

No new episode tonight. :(

But they are putting up a Youtube vid as a consolation. I wonder what happened.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Dang.

Well, that was an appropriate takedown in the web clip.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I love how this show is unafraid to dive into bullshit no one is talking about.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

hemophilia posted:

What the gently caress is going on with that Cuba ban? It's seemed unnecessary and unjustifiable for what seems like the majority of the time in which I've been alive.

It seems to still be in place for no other reason than Cuba is still a politically radioactive subject for some people. In theory Obama could tackle it next year once he's officially reached lame duck status but I'm not holding my breath.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

For me it looks like the Miss America foundation has people trying to get the scholarships from schools/boosters whoever, probably by telling them "hey having Miss XYZ study at your school might not look to bad, how about you let us provide them with a scholarship". I think there is so much worse stuff on TV (how about going after HBO for having nudity in all their shows for the sake of nudity, see sexposition on GoT) and in the Pageant world (6y olds doing pageants) that focusing on Miss America seems just lazy.

That was kind of the point though. Miss America is supposed to be the "good, socially responsible" pageant. If even Miss America is kind of a sham, aren't we at the point of wondering why the pageant industry should exist at all?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I love LWT's newest weekly segment: Irish Joe Trolls the Thread.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Circus Peanuts are loving disgusting and I'm glad John agrees. :allears:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Nick Offerman and Jon Benjamin. loving spectacular.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

This interview is amazing. Clever move advertising an extended episode even though they haven't touched the Indiana law yet.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

blue squares posted:

what the hell I thought we were off this week. great news!

The episode makes it pretty clear why they "took a week off." If you haven't spoiled yourself on this yet, I recommend watching the episode without reading anything else.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The Breaking Bad thread went apeshit over the Jonathan Banks sex ed tape being discovered a few years ago. The video at the end of tonight's ep was a nice coda.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Please tell me this scene is canon on Days of Our Lives.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I really liked the personal touch with tonight's episode. Bilal is a brave man, for all the wrong reasons. :smith:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Using a Michelle Fiore clip defending Voter ID laws is such a sweet gently caress you to slip in there. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

OK this Postal Service TV show has to be an elaborate troll by the show OH GOD I GOOGLED IT, THIS THING IS REAL AND IN SEASON 3.

• Locked thread