Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

At work today I set the new girl's password to moonitselfwasfaked.

Does anyone have the list of unlikely passwords from that episode a couple months ago? That was the only one I could remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

They didn't choose not to vote. They voted with a blank ballot. That's a significant difference.

What does it mean? They'd rather stick with the current system?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Some folks really, really hate Edward Snowden and that resulting lens leads to some really stupid things.

No, he definitely tore into Snowden for a while, a lot longer than I was expecting -- and more than Snowden was expecting too, I think. I was expecting the vast majority of time to be devoted to dangers of the surveillance state. The first few minutes of the interview really took Snowden to task for releasing a ton of classified data that could potentially threaten lives or allow terrorist organizations to evade surveillance. And I think, objectively speaking, he deserves to answer for that as well, even if the answer ends up being "It was outweighed by the public's need to see what kind of records the government was keeping."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

*Why should I want to pay for other people to have babies?* <- it's still the same question. Or you can just get back to making fun of John's Mascots. And Japanese people. Or both.

Because 86% of Americans have babies. Throw it in with the money you pay for fixing roads you'll never drive on, and so forth, and be happy in the knowledge that other people will have to pay for the social services you DO end up using.

Honestly, for all you scoff at the idea of "human nature", having children is much, much more fundamental than men loving anything that moves, or 1st-worlders logically deciding that they don't want to pass on their poor genetics. Reproduction is a cornerstone present in literally every species, because if you aren't able to replace your dead, then you cease to be a species eventually. And while some aspects of "human nature" are usually repressed, this is done so that we can live in a society that creates a richer life for everyone (and that society is driven in large part by the urge to provide a better life for our children). Each person, on average, NEEDS to create 1 more person if society is going to continue.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I'm at work, or right now I'd be posting that Ctrl-Alt-Del comic (you know which one) only with the last panel showing his girlfriend with a big grin and a triumphant fist pump.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

I missed the first segments, I turned it on during the Now This about the Queen's hats. Was there anything worth going back to see?

You don't have to watch the whole thing, you can turn it off after the bits you haven't seen. No one's going to make fun of you if you do.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Pillow Hat posted:

Right so the problem isn't actually white supremacy, it's white supremacy.

Don't wanna risk hiring one of those black actors I keep hearing about. Wouldn't be a "safe" investment.

But that's not exactly white supremacy, more the consequences of white supremacy. When your advisers tell you that audiences might not pay as much to see actor 1 as they will for actor 2, it makes a lot of sense to go with actor 2 regardless of your personal feelings. And when you're talking about millions of dollars and possibly a lot of people's jobs and livelihoods, it becomes a lot harder to take risks based on your principles, and its not just a personal decision anymore. Not that there isn't racism in Hollywood, but there's definitely an entrenched system there that makes it harder for other races to get roles that goes far beyond how any individual person feels about black people.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Like I said, there's certainly racism there, but the way the system works makes it difficult, regardless of your personal feelings.

You could be the most racially sensitive person in the world, but your money guy and all your advisors are showing you charts of how movies with black actors underperform. Choose a black actor anyway, and you now have to explain to your boss why you're going with a guy that won't make as much money as the whitebread actor that was next in line, according to all the projections from the brightest advisors he could find. I imagine this is going to be a difficult ask for most people, even the most tolerant among us, unless they were already invested in this issue. Sure, it might be the right thing to do, but I doubt the average person would be able to risk their career taking a stand like that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Basically, imagine if Trump became president and decided that the way to fix the US economy was to cut off all trade with Mexico and China.

Holy...holy poo poo. That just might work.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Xealot posted:

I wish it was as simplistic as "human being" in its implication. Because the more I think about the rationale behind it, the weirder it feels.

Liberal white men are "cucks," apparently, because they support feminist women and are comfortable with an inclusive multiethnic society. So basically, in the minds of alt-right trolls, your wife or girlfriend is 100% going to gently caress other men if she 1) feels sociopolitically powerful, and 2) lives in any reasonable proximity to black dudes. Like, unless you brutalize women into political submission and keep minorities away from her, she's naturally predisposed to gently caress them.

I think it's more that there are two competing schools of thought on what "the American way" constitutes. On one side, you have the more widely-known melting pot freedom of speech/religion give us your huddled masses inclusionism, which has been driving all the progressive reforms in the last few years. But the opposing school of thought, the one that doesn't get talked about very much, is that "the American way" is the American "white" culture that developed in a lot of the red states in the last two hundred years, which was very different from the English or European cultures that those settlers came from. I only have a TV watcher's understanding of what that culture entails, so I couldn't describe it to you much beyond guns and moonshine (and possibly segregationism), but I'm sure an actual red state voter could give you a more detailed and less-negative description that isn't just "keep the blacks and gays out of our town". At any rate, it's this culture that feels threatened by the other American way taking over and their way of life getting sidelined, and it's why you're a cuck if you just give up your way of life to the dirty liberals.

Like, I'm not a fan of the white supremacist agenda either, but it pays to try to actually understand where these people are coming from without purposefully misrepresenting them. There is apparently a very large percentage of the population that sincerely believes this stuff, and who don't think of themselves as wanting to "brutalize their women" into submission.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Grinning Goblin posted:

Samsung: When it isn't on fire and trying to murder you, it is spying on you. For paranoid people in your life that you want to validate.

What if the exploding phones and washing machines were supposed to be shipments headed out to ISIS leaders and Iraqi dissidents, and they just mixed up their FedEx tags?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I can't believe Bill O'Reilly actually wrote and published a romance novel. And that pales in comparison to my disbelief that he goddamn narrated the audio book for it, in what sounded like a more robotic version of his newscasting voice. Jesus gently caress, how did this not make Reddit or something before now?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It's just, I assume someone like that has an agent or something. I can't believe that no one surrounding him ever said "Hey, you're a rich, conservative Republican who's on TV every day, and you are so nonsexual that it seems like your suit and tie are just natural extensions of your body. You are the very last person who should be publishing a novel about pleasuring women."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Well no, that's the Trump image, all bluster, always knowing more than you do, always having the best in the business, always knowing all the right moves. I definitely wouldn't say he's more human than the other two, he's just completely bought into his public persona at this point in his life. And gently caress, it made him a ton of money and made him President of the United States, so who's gonna tell him to stop pretending he knows everything? It works! It's easy to change his mind because no, he hasn't really considered all the implications, but the Trump image isn't going to go out there and say "We're still trying to figure out what to do," he's going to go out there and say "We've got all the best ideas and we're gonna solve it, believe me!" That's his whole brand -- project confidence and tell them you know everything there is to know and hope that they're so impressed that they don't ask for any more specifics because the Great Men have it well in hand.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I think term limits are a part of it too. It's very hard for a politician to campaign on something that won't pay off until they're long retired. I think in general we're bad at planning for stuff far in the future anyway. If we spotted an asteroid that was going to hit earth and kill everyone in a hundred years, we'd probably start working on an evacuation plan in ninety-nine.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Being a human that lives a luxurious life simply isn't that expensive, truth be told. There is no reason to have more then, say, $250,000. That's being quite generous.

I had that idea a while ago - raise income tax up to literally 99% after you hit, say, 500k per year. You'd still have a reason to work hard because 500k+ is a really nice life, but you'd have a lot more money for social service programs. I don't know how you'd begin to implement that sort of thing outside armed revolution, though, and since I'm not an economist I'm sure there are a ton of reasons it wouldn't work regardless. Not the least of which is how you'd handle large businesses.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

The sad thing is how so much computing power got wasted instead of doing literally anything else. Blockchain has yet to generate a single legitimate productive use as far as I am aware.

A guy on the last page mentioned how that power could have gone into protein folding or SETI research -- that's because before bitcoin, that's exactly what people were doing with their spare processor cycles. Folding@Home and SETI@Home are research projects that distribute what is essentially mining software, except instead of just having your PC do worthless calculations, they're using it to simulate how biological proteins fold themselves, which can actually help find cures to real world diseases, or to analyse the enormous amount of interstellar transmissions that are picked up in search of intelligence. You can just download the software, fire it up, and calculate useful data in the background while your PC is under light load. I doubt people would have been building 5 GPU mining rigs for protein folding, but it's really depressing when you think about the amount of computing going into blockchains that could be put directly to actual real world use.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Propaniac posted:

I recommend reading the New Yorker article that likely prompted the piece on elderly guardianship abuse. The show really didn't have time to go deep enough on how astonishingly evil these people are. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-the-elderly-lose-their-rights

Holy poo poo. That is just incredibly scary.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

i want enhanced muscles so i can jump higher and run really fast

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

also i would inject myself with a crisper that gives me retractable claws from my hands

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

The way she emphasizes it to the camera is very much something a cringey old person would do to seem cool.

That's exactly what's happening, and why it's so compellingly awful. You can just see her looking at the word "democrats" and getting all excited. All you have to do is change one letter! Democrats is only one letter away from demonrats! It's hilarious, right? Such a sick burn. They're never gonna live this one down!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Atomizer posted:

I hadn't actually heard that word until the Kavanaugh thing, at least not counting how you'd transcribe words uttered in an urban patois, i.e. "boof=booth," "teef=teeth," "birfday=birthday," "earf=Earth," etc.

Why on earth did you feel the need to add that exception?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I just thought it was weird to feel the need to add "except when the urbans mispronounce words the way they do." You could have just said "I've never heard that word before" and it wouldn't have to sound vaguely racist.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I didn't mean to have this blow up, but the entire point I was trying to make was that it was an odd loving thing to throw in there. Why would you even be thinking "Oh right, I heard the urbans say boof but it's just them trying to pronounce 'booth', I'd better share that with everyone"? It is vaguely racist. Not explicitly racist in a way that I can enunciate, but it does make people think.

Also, not everyone catches your sick Rick n Morty reference when you italicize urban patois.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

That's a Slurpy Sergei. If you use tequila instead it becomes a Slurpy Miguel

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I myself can't explain exactly why that's racist, but I'm sure someone more educated than me could do it pretty easily. That's why I thought it sounded "vaguely racist". And that whole word salad suggests that you're a "fragile white guy" who hasn't figured out that we don't actually get to define all these things and tell people how they're allowed to feel about them.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Is it offensive to say "black people" in America?

depends on the tone of voice

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

"Well if his parents hadnt illegaled then this wouldntve happened now would it :smug::smug:"

The frustrating thing is that this is legitimately the reasoning for a lot of people who support it. It's like that crazy conservative lady who tweeted about how going to a Democratic rally made her actually entertain the notion that her children might actually deserve universal health care and schooling...and then she shook off that delusion, because it's her decisions that determine how her children turn out. A lot of these people just see these kids as invisible casualties of their parents' choices, not as living breathing children who deserve protection regardless of who their parents are.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

But like... what was the point? It's not jokes about Scientology, it's not actual promotion of Scientology, they just slipped a handful of Scientology symbols into the backgrounds. Was the whole thing just so that they could ask the CoS for money this episode?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

Encouraging people to make pro-net neutrality FCC submissions. Etc etc.

Yep, this sure had a tangible effect. :(

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Well, that was an amazing payoff.

Was it? I didn't like that end sequence at all, especially compared to some of the other movie previews they've done, which have been hilarious. ("Actually we rebranded. You work for CHORP.") A five-minute long montage of wax presidents awkwardly inserted into crime thriller situations just does nothing for me.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

When people ask me my political affiliations I tell them that I'd call myself a Libertarian if the Libertarians weren't such a mess. It means that I generally think the government's job is to protect its citizens and otherwise stay out of our lives. Except that means I'm in favor of guns being legal and a strong military to look out for our interests and also in favor of the EPA and stuff like that because protecting citizens means protecting our environment, and I think it should stop corporations from having too much power over us, and basically no one really fits into any category at all and it's just a fancy word that doesn't mean anything.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

What if protecting Citizens means taking guns away from the citizens so they stop shooting each other?

That's also a valid interpretation and maybe the right one. But maybe there's a way to have gun ownership and also less gun violence?

But holy poo poo :can:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Ah so you don't like society's problems but you like their causes

Well, I like the things I just said I liked. If those are the causes, then okay. I'm not convinced of that, but I'm open to discussion.

Except that I'm not really open to discussion because I don't care that much, but if you held a gun to my head and made me have this conversation then I'd be pretty open minded if you can show your work.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Man. This must be nice.

yeah being mostly white and male and non poverty is pretty sweet you don't have to care about much of anything unless you really want to

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sorry bud, turns out most of the "small government" crowd are actually stealth monarchists, but with corporations as the little feudal dominions of absolute power. Or at least the ones with money are. So that's what they make it into.

Also a big centerpiece of that kind of movement is "fiscal conservatism" which is really just a formulated way to percieve anyone getting anything as somehow you getting screwed, but also they'll piss a couple billion dollars into a hole while arguing about thousands because nobody really cares about making numbers work.

aw :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Is there a movement where you want your businesses to get to a point where they're fiscally solvent and have enough in the bank for research and development but after that making money isn't as important as improving the product?

• Locked thread