Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
If they focus on the stories that should get reported on but are being ignored I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Jesus poo poo....:gonk: Well Mitch has a new icon at least.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
That whole episode was brilliant. Using FRIENDS as Agit-prop was genius. Fortunately I hate Football so the World Cup doesn't confuse my feelings of loathing for FIFA. And Holy gently caress! Right Said Fred?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
LMFAO would have been funnier, but would have cost more.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I am not a dingo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
gently caress...anybody know a good zoologist?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
You must listen to Episode 99. Perhaps the funniest thing they've ever done.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Thurm posted:

It's Berlusconi being hit in the face with a miniature cathedral. Stupid buildings is 97.

Man, that has one of my favourite Oliver rants.

"The property prices on the palm-shaped islands are dropping far below what Dubai expected and some reports are coming out that the islands themselves are sinking. Oh, no poo poo! I'll tell you why that's happening. They're not loving islands you morons! You just dumped some sand in some water which shouldn't be there."

97 is great but The 'The surprising thing for me John, is that it's taken 73 years for someone to bash Silvio Berlusconi in the face with a plaster replica of the Milan Cathedral..." Andy's delivery of that line always kills me in its matter-of-factness.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
#BetterCIATweets has already got some great stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
On the nuclear situation

http://www.npr.org/2014/07/28/334501037/to-stop-cheating-nuclear-officers-ditch-the-grades?sc=tw

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
And then you had people like Lawrence who had a clue, but none of the higher ups listened to him

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I call Dingo!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
MRAPs (that beast in Saginaw) have no purpose with the Army anywhere but in Afghanistan and Iraq. The Army has thousands of them and absolutely no use for them they just want to get rid of them so they don't have to pay maintenance costs.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The outtakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H916EVndP_A

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Brian Williams is a goddamn national treasure.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
New Year's Eve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAFnby2184o

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The best part about Oliver, is that he thinks that his celebrity is one of the most patently ludicrous things imaginable.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
A great take on Homeopathy is from Martin Gardner's Fads and Fallacies

Martin Gardner posted:

Some idea of the worth of homeopathic medicines may be gath­ered from the fact that one of them (no longer used) was called lachryma filia, and consisted of tears from a weeping young girl. Other curious remedies are made from such substances as powdered starfish ( asterias rubens), skunk secretion ( mephitis), crushed live bedbugs (cimex lectularius), powdered anthracite coal, powdered oyster shells, and uric acid (acidum uricum) obtained from human urine or snake excrement. Most homeopathic medicines are obtained from plants, though in recent years there has been a trend toward proving metallic compounds. Any substance, organic or inorganic, is a potential homeopathic drug. A doctor announces that he has proved a new medicine, colleagues try it out, patients get well, and so a new remedy is added to the materia medica. Research by re­liable pharmacologists has shown that all these weird drugs, in the diluted form in which they are given, are entirely harmless..produc­ing neither symptoms nor cures (except, of course, psychosomatic ones).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Seconded. Florida Man is amazing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
And it's also kind of cool too...to be fair.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

muscles like this? posted:

I'm sure he'll do something on that loving stupid presentation that Netanyahu made this week.

Stewart knocked it out of the park last night.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
1) Place Joe on Ignore.
2) Notice that life is just a little bit better.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

hemophilia posted:

Honestly I've been in the situation covered on that segment and this isn't quite true. I had to get a title loan a few years back to pay for a ticket I got for driving with an expired license. I was mostly lucky that my family was coming into some small windfall of money shortly after and they were willing to cover the cost of the loan, which is the only reason I got it. I was fully prepared to do time served in lieu of income. Otherwise I would have lost my poo poo. I still get HBO more often than not because cable companies bundle things in such a way stateside that it's usually an affordable cost increase.

The schemes the courts and predatory loans have to keep you in a hosed up cycle are so loving expensive that the money you save not getting hbo or something frivolous like that is nowhere near enough to escape.

Point is, this show is still reaching people for whom this experience is immensely relateable. I'm more surprised that people don't know how easy it is for minor misdemeanors to gently caress your poo poo up completely. I know some people evidently better off just skipping out on tickets and doing time served when they go around serving warrants for them.

I ended up doing jail time for not returning a DVD to public library. I actually had returned it and the librarians found it on a shelf, but I was going to be hit with a 10$ fine and 1450$ worth of 'fees'. The look of sadness on the Town Manager when they realized they were about to be sued for their 'guaranteed moneymaking technique' was amazing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Public shaming is what this show does best. Calling people on their poo poo in the most bizarre and memorable fashion they can is wonderful.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

jojoinnit posted:

Can you elaborate on this a little…?

I was living in rural Wisconsin at the time and I was bored and checked out a movie from the local county library. I return it the next day. Six months later I 'm driving to work and I get pulled over for a taillight out. While the cop is running my license I'm waiting. In my rear view I see him step out of my car and unsnap his holster. I immediately put my hands on the wheel and wonder what the gently caress is going on. He tells me to step out and assume the position. I do and he starts cuffing me as he's telling me I have bench warrant out on me.

I'm really confused now. I get driven to the Sheriff's department and they start processing me. I keep asking what the warrant is for,. Finally after I'm processed they look it up and start laughing and tell me. I'm really pissed at that and ask how much I owe so I can pay it and get to work. They look it up and get very quiet. I call my lawyer (my brother in law) and ask him if he can stop by the library and see if the DVD is there and to make sure he takes one of the librarians with him as a witness. They find the disc and check the records to make sure it was the copy I had checked out.

My lawyer calls the Sheriff's Department (which is across the street) to send someone over and make sure all this is verified. They run a deputy over and he agrees all the paperwork matches and my lawyer gets a signed affidavit from the librarian. He then goes over to the sheriff's department and asks them since there is no crime if I can leave now. The deputies say sure but then the Sheriff walks in and says, 'Okay, but you have to pay all the surcharges on the $10 dollar fine' all $1450 worth. I say 'What!?" you want me to pay for a crime that never happened?

He says, 'You can pay now or talk to the judge Monday morning,' This was Saturday about three pm. My lawyer says if you pay you're never seeing that money again. So I spend the rest of Saturday and Sunday in jail. Monday morning the judge looks at this poo poo and throws the warrant out with all charges. The County Prosecutor is asked why this sort of thing happened and the circuit judge is told it is a new policy of the Town Manager to charge all expenses on prosecuting the warrant to the subject. Even if the warrant is dropped. The judge's mouth kind of dropped open and he asked under what grounds?

I sued the Town Manager and the Sheriff personally for the amount of one year of their salaries (160K total) as the manager unilaterally made this policy decision without bringing it up to the town board for review, and the Sheriff had told him it was all perfectly legal. It was found out by my lawyer that the majority of the funds were going to increase the Sheriff's seizure reports allowing them to look better on the state financial review.

I was lucky. I had an attorney that would work for free and knew everybody in the county government and where the bodies were buried.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Yes

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I'm a 6'1" blonde haired :sweden: - American. Never been arrested or even had a ticket. The library never sent me a notice, and the warrant copy was never sent out. When my lawyer brought that up and the Town Clerk stated that they had never processed through my copies, that was the case right there. The Manager and Sheriff never expected any one to fight it and they had done it before to about twenty or so others. They basically would sit on the paperwork until the fees racked up then get a bench warrant issued.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Soylentbits posted:

That's a super good story. Any way or interest in getting that out? I mean it's resolved which takes a lot of the punch out but that's a drat good story. Also you wonder what happened to the 20 people before you.

This was quite a few (over fifteen) years ago and the Sheriff is dead and the Town Manager moved out of the county and I have no idea where he is. Hell, I moved out of the county 13 years ago and out of the state four years ago.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Irish Joe posted:

Let me get the story straight:
1. Guy is arrested and it turns out he has an outstanding warrant over an unpaid fine.
2. He goes to court and shows that the fine was erroneous.
3. All the charges were dropped and he pays nothing.

I mean, not be a dick or anything, but it sounds like a perfect example of the system working as intended.

Why am I responding to Joe?

1. Yes that is true. However I never received a ticket or a notice of the fine until the day the warrant was served.
  2. The $10 was dropped at the station actually. However I was informed that I still had to pay the $1450 in fees and surcharges before I could be released. I spent the weekend in jail and lost two days pay because of it among other things. If I had paid the fees, I could have gone free instantly, but I would have lost any chance of getting that money back.
  3. Yes. Because I had a lawyer that was not a public defender and actually knew what the gently caress they were doing. If I didn't I would have been hosed and the Sheriff and Town Manager would have continued ripping people off. They both lost their jobs after my civil suit was settled and about six others started up accusing them of pretty much the same thing. Notice I said civil. There was no way a criminal case would have made it through the cronyism, because that would have set an enforcement precedent and all the other small town police departments would be liable to be gone after.

And Joe, you're always a pus filled dick. Always.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Squall posted:

Please Ignore Irish Joe

I've had him on ignore for years. I only saw that because of people quoting him and it gave me the opportunity to give me a informed reason to call him a pus filled dick.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It proves that contextualizing things in to something a guy or gal on the street can identify with is the way to get change. Conflating the head of the FCC as a babysitter that happens to be a dingo, creating an ad blitz with Jeff the diseased lung, and showing how unfettered surveillance means that the government is staring at your junk is necessary for that context.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Also as long as time is devoted to space gecko sex, salmon cannons, Jeff the Diseased Lung, and breakdancing Lincoln; it will stay funny.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

comes along bort posted:

The footage they showed looked like regular tape drives. Some of the carts might be old but that's kinda the point- they can store stuff for decades with minimal degradation and not have to worry about format compatibility 20 years in the future.

That and more often than not it's cheaper to pay a few people to maintain the older thing rather than try to migrate to a newer system.

See COBOL.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

TLG James posted:

No one commented that Wyatt cenac is still alive??

Just about to post this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Xoidanor posted:

Has anyone done a study on what the consequences of dropping all quarantine procedures, shipping a proverbial Noah's arc of animals, insects and plants into the country and let nature run its course for a decade or two?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Acclimatization_Society

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Holy poo poo that was great

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Delsaber posted:

:10bux: tolls on everything with a forum or comments section.

That :10bux: as a gateway does more to keep this place tolerable than almost anything else.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

SlothfulCobra posted:

Whole Foods is a business founded on the principal of charging more for essentially the same product. The customers get what they deserve.

And wow, words cannot describe how much I don't want to think about teenagers' boners.

John Oliver thinks about teen boners so you don't have to....

That sounds wrong somehow.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Berkeley Bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Bugle 178 I think (see below)

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 2, 2015

• Locked thread