Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You guys complaining about its fast pace must be REALLY a product of the twitter generation, jesus christ. Just pay attention for thirty minutes and learn a thing or two. God drat.

Quit being so lazy. Would you guys not be able to sit through an hour long comedy show anymore? Can you not watch Eddie Murphy's Delirious or anything?

haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pretty much exactly how I felt. It basically feels like a team of people who watched TDS over last summer and just thought 'yeah, we can just remake this'. I don't know how much talk behind the scenes there was with regards to Letterman moving and Stephen replacing him, but right now it seems like the alternative could've been Oliver taking over TCR and we'd have him doing the same thing 4 days a week. That, to me, is sadly better than what we have now.

Obviously just the first show, but I was expecting more than just a network change when you have the might of HBO behind you.

If it's The Daily Show with John Oliver but with a stronger world-wide slant I'd be extremely happy.

John had REALLY great energy during the TDS summer hosting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

It's difficult to improve people's lives with healthcare when the Oregon healthcare website, to this day, after spending untold riches, has yet to successfully sign a single person up for healthcare.

Oregon spent 303 million dollars in federal grants on a website that doesn't work at all, and then advertised that website on television over and over again. That is incredible, and people should be fired and perhaps even investigated.

They're going to be heading up some projects for the next iteration of the olympics.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You are embarrassing yourself. Just as a rule of thumb, rank the reports of people who actually do the thing higher than how you imagine the thing probably works.

Also torrenters are happy to work in the middle of the night for free, but employees of media companies require overtime pay for that kind of thing.

Yup, nobody works at all when the show is airing at night. It's all just crickets in the control rooms.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001000

http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

The death penalty is just SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. Good lord.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 7, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Haha. I wonder what animal we'll see being cute next time he wants to try to talk about something serious. Maybe he'll stick to similar and show a hamster being served a spaghetti meal.

Rape Victim Blaming

Republican Presidential Nominee Debates

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 7, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

How are all these rodents able to afford personal chefs when good honest Americans are barely keeping their handguns fed?

They keep their chefs on Federal land, and don't pay chef taxes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So it seems like the segment about Bill Nye was really showcasing how Bill's not only rather ineffectual in getting his point across to 'the other side' (it's a communication bridge that probably can't be crossed at this time) but how he's actually doing a disservice to the scientific community/crowd at large by willingly allowing himself to be this sort of easily disregardable figurehead of the idea of climate change by the owl deniers.

He may have significantly come back into the limelight as a result, but it feels like it's either for misguided or greed-based purposes.

The Climate Change deniers already exist in some sort of echo chamber of ideological comfort, but being able to have a specific figurehead to rally against seems like it helps to entrench ideas more successfully than having a constant steady exposure and pressure to alternate thoughts. It's harder to talk over a general social realization than a person.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 14, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is it just me or does high definition do no favors for John Oliver?
I'm not the only one who can't stop looking at his teeth am I?

John Oliver posted:

What did you just say?

Sure his teeth are a little non-normative but I think he looks totally fine. And his smoking hot wife does too, I'm sure.

Not everyone needs or cares to have the crazy straight white teeth that might require surgery and chemical treatment. Also, his teeth look more short than they look 'british'. I'm not sure braces could fix that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - It's not on trial because it's already lost. :colbert:

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't know how often you've seen scientists on the news but every single one of them gets bombarded with questions that range from completely irrelevant to downright aggressive.

Scientists should only be going on the Late-night talkshows, of course. Most news is for silly people who want to affirm their beliefs and confirm their fears.

Who wouldn't want to see a scientist play "smash an egg on my head" with Jimmy Fallon?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Throw in a few facts about global warming and they'd probably get something done. Lord knows they can't get a word in edgewise on Fox Business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5ka418oeE

This clip even starts out okay but then they bring in the attack dogs.

I love the silliness of the whole thing. One guy's all, "...but look at what this stuff has brought us, in spite of global warming. In the 1900s per capita income was $500 and now it's $8000..." like that's some sort of good thing. The relative value of that $1 back in 1850 is ~21 times the value of the current dollar. Using that guy's numbers, back then, now, per capita would've been around 10k. But this whole thing still an incredibly simplified representation of cost and value.

It's so frustrating that many people look at changes in things without understanding the context within that change. That applies to every thing, not just that silly money example.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 14, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
And that's why I think it's pointelss to have Bill or someone approach this in a form of a debate. The 'Bible is my science' cum Fox News crowd sees the world in a totally (wrongly) different way. There's no communication happening, they're just setting him up to be pilloried within their circle. But he still does it; it's utterly pointless.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Get (re)famous any way you can and then use your fame to promote positive change? I can see it, and I can to a point agree. Maybe sacrificing yourself in those 'debates' serves to promote discussion outside of those debates between people at home/work/recreation.

He's only goofy if you have watched his show in the past. If you're not aware of his history overly much he's just another man in a bowtie suit telling you your misunderstood Conservative dream is killing America.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 15, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Digging the show.

That whole GM thing was pretty upsetting with how little deterrence and punishment there is for companies (I mean, it's the same old story, so it's actually hard to remain upset these days), and I liked the interview with Zakaria - the India talk was interesting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Exclamation Marx posted:

I love Shep Smith

It's always incredible how goddamnededly stupid those people are.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

raditts posted:

TDS did a segment about that a few months back, basically the gist of it was that they hired their new CAR GIRL CEO to take the fall for all their hosed up defects.

Yeah, that's why I said it's hard to stay mad - this has been going on for so long and nothing is coming of it and it's all just show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think the show is fun but 30 minutes sure feels pretty limiting for a week.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I don't know, to me a full hour straight might get overwhelming. Imagine this episode, then him covering the same amount of topics with the same amount of detail after that.

That's what I'd like, yes. There's so much in the world/US going on I'd like to see more than "spelling bee", "Tony Abott's an rear end in a top hat (he really is, though)", and "internet providers are really pretty much the worst thing not currently giving us cancer or slavery".

I'm not ungrateful, but a once a week thing for this short a period makes me more want to check out a clip on youtube than sit through an episode. It's not an 'event'. But it's better than Maher, yes.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 2, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing I don't want more John Oliver, I loving love the dude. I just wonder if maybe a half hour twice a week would be preferable to an hour in one sitting.

I would accept two or three times a week, yes (as if I had the power to effect that in any shape or form).

An hour one night would be easiest, however. I really don't understand the mental fatigue you guys all mention. :shrug:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

IRQ posted:

It refers to the van the cops throw all the drunken Irish into so yeah.

Or more likely the Irish cops that drove them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cerepol posted:

People must like Jimmy as well. I've got a certain fondness in that pet sort of way. He's somewhat endearing even if he is too eager/excitable.

They should just have Justin Timberlake take over the show from Jimmy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

Am I a bad person for finding the whole Right Said Fred thing kind of awkward and embarrassing and not as good as they expected it to be?

No. I thought it was great on paper, and a good ,laudable idea, but RSF doesn't really have any presence and the song itself sounded pretty bad, so...

Also, I wonder what would happen if TDS STOPPED watching news channels and actually tried to do a news comedy show. A lot of the time I feel like with the Daily Show I'm watching one of those Youtube ' .* Reacts To ' videos.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 10, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Haha, The Stephen Hawking interview was AMAZING. :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kevyn posted:

My hometown paper, which unfortunately is also Scott Lively's hometown paper, had an article about Oliver's segment featuring some choice quotes from Lively

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/07/springfield_pastor_scott_livel.html

Yup, that christian guy's still a douchebag.

Does Pepe feel he is a man, or does she feel she's a woman? I kinda assumed Pepe was a she and all the he's in the article seemed rather rude.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
SO with that beer/FIFA story, did anything actually happen as a result of it? Were there riots or murders in Brazil beyond the norm? I don't remember hearing anything about it.

Seems like it went off and was okay. But I guess you gotta followup your jokes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

Also if you become poor you are still always upper class. Which the temporary-embarrassed American millionaires need to learn. It would improve America.

Snooty rich AND snooty poors? America couldn't stand it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ape Agitator posted:

Al Franken started as a general comedian, then an influential political comedian, and then a full on politician. He really can't be a comedian anymore because his responsibilities have changed. He wasn't exactly cavalier with facts and reality in his political comedy but if he were to engage in comedic exaggeration on the Senate floor it's not going to go over well even if it's funny because his audience has requirements for him that require a level of seriousness and accountability as their representative.

Well, see, there's your first mistake.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I swear to god I really don't understand the cheating thing because in the real world literally everyone has reference manuals on their desks or nearby or maybe an internal wiki or something so why does it have to be this weird thing?

Can you not use reference material at that job?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Timett posted:

It's always a boring 2 days because I know my poo poo but I don't think requiring people to know their job is all that strange otherwise you could just hire anybody and tell them to read the book.

Right? But I'm saying like, you're not learning NEW things taking care of a loving 40 year old missile silo or whatever. Are these people so loving worthless that over the course of drills throughout the weeks and months and years they still have to cheat on a drat test about things they have been theoretically doing every day of their working life?

If I know one thing about the military it's that they love their drills and practice procedures.

Bah. And yes, if you hire someone and tell them to read the books then after a while they're going to know what's in those books. That's the point of having reference and training material.

military jobs, man.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hemophilia posted:

In that event where the missiles are going to be launched, you can't have your loving officers farting around with up to 35 year old documentation with equally aged equipment. If something fails as you prep for launch, you have probably minutes before bombs start falling in your general area to fix it. You need to know what to do without consulting the manual. The missiles need to launch when told to, basically. I can get that. This isn't a case where almost any other job might show leniency, you're talking about not just ending your side of the planet, but the other guy's too, and you don't have any time at all with ICBM travel time to gently caress around referencing the manuals to your archaic equipment.

Ahh, the good ol' Israeli Hail Mary.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

You're right, if liberals were less smug and elitist and more cordial to Trump supporters it would totally make all the difference and change so many minds.

I'm being smugly sarcastic in case that wasn't clear. This weird sentiment of "stop talking down to the stupid racists who vote against their own interests and treat their insane conspiracy theories and ignorance like it's a totally reasonable platform" is how you will end up with CNN talking to a civil rights activist who marched with King and then checking in with a guy in a KKK hood for a balanced counterpoint.

People can have more than one grievance, even if some of them are retarded or bigoted. Some are relevant, and powerful motivators.

Nobody needs to be cordial, but completely disregarding empathy because "that group is a bunch of racists" simplifies and damages efforts to actually accomplish poo poo. You can't fix them all, because there are serious god's honest bigots and racists and evil people, but there are others who are just stuck in the same environment and suffering while being derided by the other side.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mulva posted:

No it didn't, it's effectively the same strategy Trump used. It worked perfectly for him. Actually doubling down and saying "These people are monsters and we will make a list and murder them in their sleep" might have fired up the Democratic base more by that logic. Certainly no more combative than "All Mexicans are rapists and thieves and I will build a wall to keep them out". Christ, that line got 30% of Latinos to back him.
It's not just white people who are classist as gently caress and dislike poor people/immigrants.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'd like to add I attempted to watch an episode of Full Frontal but I had to stop five minutes in. It is terrible and Samantha Bee is not funny and has non-insightful opinions.

I like to call this the Larry Wilmore effect.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

raditts posted:

Almost certainly, once all the people that claim they voted on his "economic platform" and not because of all the racism and xenophobia realize they've been duped.

With the naked corruption he's already displaying in choosing his transition team
and trying to game his pending trials, I think there is a very real possibility of him being successfully impeached.
Imagine, history before our very eyes.
Look
He's already explained that everybody in DC is a lobbyist. The whole things a giant lobby. There's nobody else there to help him. He'll change the system AFTER these guys help him acclimatize to the job.

I'd rather have Trump as President than Pence.

And look, either Trump will be SO bad the general populace will fight back, or he won't be as bad as all that, and we just have to live with him. Of course, the environment's hosed regardless. If that fucker and piece of poo poo congress push through all the deregs then we won't be hosed, but our kids sure as heck will be.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 14, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tarlibone posted:

Is that what you want? You want to see Americans stripped of their guns, put into camps run by the people who give you money to rebuild your flooded-out house, and said camps are shuttered big-box stores, and Jade Helm became a thing, and Martial Law were declared? Because that's not what I want.

Well, I do like to accessorize...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Veskit posted:

It's a lot easier to dismantle or obstruct than it is to build dorkus. Also the bank bailouts were an example of him addressing fundamne... you know what gently caress it I'm all out of teaching monetary/fiscal policy for all of 2016 it's pointless.

The Bailouts were what they were, but it was without consequence for the banks/auto industry. There aren't any measures in place to realistically control the rapacity and carelessness of the institutions, even after that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Obama had nothing to do with any of this. All of this happened under Bush, or his healthcare policies were butchered by others. Obama's original healthcare proposal would have made the U.S. the best country for healthcare.

???
Nothing to do with any of that?

I'll agree that for the most part Obama was railroaded by the most obstructionist Congress in modern American times, but I really think he had a hand in everything the other poster mentioned.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

Well, for instance Obama bailed out the Auto Industry, not the banks. Bush is the one who bailed out the Banks with TARP, which happened before Obama took office.

You're entirely right. 2008, I always assumed. That's on me. Jesus, our calamitous events just blend together for me. :ohdear:

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Just so you know, I completely understand the frustration of trying to explain why the bailouts were really really necessary to people who think they were just giving free money to greedy bankers.

Or why prosecuting the banks was probably untenable without the application of retroactive justice.

Or why stuff like Solvency 2 and Dodd Frank have done a lot of legwork in suring up the financial system against future shoc...

You know what never mind.

Start somewhere, at least. And the bailouts may have been necessary, but we were giving money to greedy bankers whose only lesson learned was that they did nothing wrong. Those aren't exactly exclusive.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 16, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I honestly can't imagine what's going to happen in the next four years, but I have such little faith in our government that I don't think much will come from Trump's illegal disregard of conflict of interest issues. The republicans have a balancing act ahead of them in certain areas because I can see trump supporters going batshit clive bundy crazy if they try to kick him out, or if Trump tweets to war because the Repubs have pissed him off somehow.

CrashCat posted:

It's a funny show I enjoyed watching this year

Anyone want to recommend their favorites for the dry spell?

It's not newscomedy, but You're the Worst is some of the funniest, dark comedy/drama on the air.

Also, check out Ash vs Evil Dead, as it is one of the best comedy/action.horror shows that has ever existed. Starring Bruce Campbell.

Both are half hour long episodes.

And The Exorcist (the series) is fantastic, surprisingly so. Straight up drama.horror. Not really many jump scares here, thankfully. Just some cool people acting their asses off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Nobody has the money to start a third party. Maybe if the facebook guy gets into things he could help pave the way for a third, but I doubt it.

• Locked thread