Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

MegaZeroX posted:

2) The entire "capitalism always turns into fascism" thing: This entire meme is really dumb. What actually happens is that harsh conditions generate radical movements.

What economic mode of production has created all these harsh conditions exactly? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

MegaZeroX posted:

Please, show me all of this academic evidence of this. My brief search on Google scholar has given me nothing on the rise of fascism in regards to capitalism. And I have yet to see academics use the term "liberal" to mean "someone that supports liberal democracy as a government type." If you can actually provide evidence otherwise, that would be fantastic as well.

If you want some great reading about how capitalism and enforced racial hierarchies are inextricably intertwined I have many suggestions starting with

quote:

I want to say to you as I move to my conclusion, as we talk about "Where do we go from here?" that we must honestly face the fact that the movement must address itself to the question of restructuring the whole of American society. (Yes) There are forty million poor people here, and one day we must ask the question, "Why are there forty million poor people in America?" And when you begin to ask that question, you are raising a question about the economic system, about a broader distribution of wealth. When you ask that question, you begin to question the capitalistic economy. (Yes) And I'm simply saying that more and more, we've got to begin to ask questions about the whole society. We are called upon to help the discouraged beggars in life's marketplace. (Yes) But one day we must come to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring. (All right) It means that questions must be raised. And you see, my friends, when you deal with this you begin to ask the question, "Who owns the oil?" (Yes) You begin to ask the question, "Who owns the iron ore?" (Yes) You begin to ask the question, "Why is it that people have to pay water bills in a world that's two-thirds water?" (All right) These are words that must be said. (All right)

In other words, "Your whole structure (Yes) must be changed." [applause] A nation that will keep people in slavery for 244 years will "thingify" them and make them things. (Speak) And therefore, they will exploit them and poor people generally economically. (Yes) And a nation that will exploit economically will have to have foreign investments and everything else, and it will have to use its military might to protect them. All of these problems are tied together. (Yes) [applause]

Let us be dissatisfied until America will no longer have a high blood pressure of creeds and an anemia of deeds. (All right)

Let us be dissatisfied (Yes) until the tragic walls that separate the outer city of wealth and comfort from the inner city of poverty and despair shall be crushed by the battering rams of the forces of justice. (Yes sir)

Let us be dissatisfied (Yes) until those who live on the outskirts of hope are brought into the metropolis of daily security.

Let us be dissatisfied (Yes) until slums are cast into the junk heaps of history (Yes), and every family will live in a decent, sanitary home.

Let us be dissatisfied (Yes) until the dark yesterdays of segregated schools will be transformed into bright tomorrows of quality integrated education.

Let us be dissatisfied until integration is not seen as a problem but as an opportunity to participate in the beauty of diversity.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so what’s the word for someone who leans left of center and doesn’t like the current system and does want radical change for his friends of different skin colors and cultures? If that’s not liberal (because I don’t live in the suburbs and don’t have a gently caress You Got Mine attitude) then what am I? I swear this thread is using different definitions than anywhere else and I’ve been having this discussion pretty much daily for like 4 years.

Neither historically, nor in contemporary United States politics do politicians who identify as 'liberal' advocate for "radical change".

The aristocratic French liberals of 1789 didn't want radical change, they wanted a step down from absolutism into a Prussian-style constitutional monarchy, or more broadly a decentralization of power away from Paris and Versailles. Today's American liberals (think Cory Booker, Joe Biden, or the Clintons) similarly do not want to decommodify housing, or reform our for-profit prison system, or forgive student loans, and instead they look for palliative solutions that may be better than nothing but still ultimately leave large systemic problems unaddressed. This is all without even touching their track records of full throated support for America's wars of imperialism, adventurism, and 'regime change'.

There are dozens of labels you could use for yourself to sum up your broad beliefs and its a matter of finding a body of political theory or a movement you find to be both moral and reasonable and going from there

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Phenotype posted:

When people ask me my political affiliations I tell them that I'd call myself a Libertarian if the Libertarians weren't such a mess. It means that I generally think the government's job is to protect its citizens and otherwise stay out of our lives. Except that means I'm in favor of guns being legal and a strong military to look out for our interests and also in favor of the EPA and stuff like that because protecting citizens means protecting our environment, and I think it should stop corporations from having too much power over us, and basically no one really fits into any category at all and it's just a fancy word that doesn't mean anything.
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1002587464056410112

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Is there a movement where you want your businesses to get to a point where they're fiscally solvent and have enough in the bank for research and development but after that making money isn't as important as improving the product?

lmao if your company is fiscally solvent and you havent taken loans against every asset it owns to gamble more on the stock market or give yourself(and shareholders) a stock buyback

• Locked thread