Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Apoplexy posted:

We should feel sorry for Kentuckyans: They're responsible for Mitch McConnell ever being in the Senate. I, frankly, don't understand how anyone can live with that moral burden for any length of time. Is it the Oxy that helps?

They're living more in fear of Boyd Crowder nowadays anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bobkatt013 posted:

Boyd Crowder for Senate. He maybe an ex-Nazi and drug boss, but at least he is honest!

2slow :c00lbert:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I've been listening to The Bugle due to this show and it's remarkable how John Oliver is incredible no matter where he is or what he's doing but Andy is loving insufferable without John on the Bugle to balance him

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fans posted:

While the health debate is done I'm not sure how "Well-regulated" a business can be when it's using child labour to pick tobacco for 12 hours a day in the US. They're no angels.

I really hope you're not posting this from a personal computer, or wearing anything but handmade clothing, and grow your own food

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Irish Joe posted:

Its like they just decided they didn't need to conduct research or write a compelling narrative for their pointless smear piece.

to be fair tho they dont, because it's ayn rand and she was a self-evident idiot without an interesting, coherent, or positive thought in her entire worthless life

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Irish Joe posted:

It was a smear piece because it attempted to discredit an ideology by making snide comments about its founder's personal beliefs. What Rand thought about Reagan or Indians has nothing to do with the substance of The Fountainhead's political ideology.

the fountainhead has no political ideology beyond "be a prick, forever" because ayn rand was a talentless hack and her followers are all dumber than she is if that's even possible

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

cool kids inc. posted:

I saw him back in November, and he did this bit about weird things around the country. When told about a local, charming festival, he had to stop the show and google Frozen Dead Guy Days. The whole show was funny, but that was a standout moment for me.

he brought that up on the bugle

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The infrastructure bit was important but ironically landed really poorly because John did the "and if you know anything about x then (pop culture reference)" joke like five times too many

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tbf Brianna wu is a spectacularly, spectacularly lovely human being

Again it doesn't make Oliver's point not true or justify the ludicrous hatred she gets but she's a really bad "face" for why public harrassment is bad when she's this elitist entitled classist piece of human garbage who takes her status as victim and uses it to marginalize others

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Burkion posted:

Just because she's a potentially lovely human being doesn't detract from the fact that no one deserves to be treated like she, and numerous others, have. In that regard, there is very rarely a 'bad face' you can bring forward.

I mean she does stuff like marginalize other women in her industry and argue that women can just become developers via bootstrap-pulling and don't need to go to college, like she did when she literally received one hundred thousand dollars from her insanely rich parents to start a business

At a certain point if you're positioning yourself as the face of female advancement in a sexist industry but argue against all the ways that women that aren't privileged can advance you're a loving rear end in a top hat

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

pentyne posted:

For all the "Oh, Brianna Wu is a piece of poo poo etc." it still doesn't justify people promising to come to her house and rape her and kill her

literally nobody here is arguing that

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

did you not read my first loving post where I literally said that the death threats aren't justified, like ver loving batim

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Strobe posted:

There's this thing that happens when you say you don't think something, and then literally everything else you say makes it look like you think that anyway. People don't believe you.

lol "this person is a lovely person because they said x, y and z" = "this person deserves to be killed"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Afro posted:

idk maybe if your first response to someone receiving death threats is "actually this person said some dumb things" it sounds to me like you're excusing the threats as justified

that sure would be accurate if within that first response i didn't literally say "the threats aren't justified"! HMM

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zythrst posted:

So when you go, oh but the victim is really bad it can't help but sound like an excuse for it.

it's relevant to the contention that she's a bad "Face" for how public harrassment has gone wrong, and it's important to specifically note how the things she said and done are specifically harming the industry she has specifically set herself up as the cause d'etre for

like, let's say all this happened to ann coulter, right, i guaran loving tee all of you people would say something along the lines of "well, the death threats are disgusting but ON THE OTHER HAND ann coulter has literally argued that women shouldn't have the right to vote, so on some level she's a stupid rear end in a top hat who deserves criticism if explicitly not to the level of threats"

I'm saying the fundamental argument that women get horrible treatment on the internet, that is 100% true and needs to stop, now

but i'm also saying that the specific example of brianna wu is a bad one to use to represent public harrassment because she's someone whose public actions deserve criticism, and now you can't even point out how the things she has said and actions she has taken are directly hypocritical to the person she presents herself as, but you can't ever bring those criticisms up because about a billion uninformed idiots will jump down your loving throat saying that you're actually furthering an argument you're explicitly against

like even now people are conflating legitimate criticisms (like how she's actually an elitist, classist, self-aggrandizing douchebag who explicitly ostracizes other women in her industry who criticize her) with whatever stupid horseshit that reddit or gg think, they're not the same argument and one isn't part of the other, i'm approaching criticizing wu from a far left perspective and they're criticizing from far right

it's like saying that people who go "Obama is a friend of the family who deserves to die and is a kenyan" are the same people as people who go "obama doesn't deserve death threats but on the other hand he's a douchebag who approved an insane expansion on our spying program, still allows torture to continue in government-funded black sites, and has kowtowed to everything the monied people in power want furthering the wealth gap"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

You're no Irish Joe Occ (because I know you're 100% serious), but I appreciate the effort. :hf:

et tu irq :smith:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i thought that was "shoot black people"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ed: nvm

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 23, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

Wait... what's the U?

undeclared, probably, to cover genderless-identifying people

honestly i think the whole LGBTQAI thing is a relic and a holdover from when it was just G/L and they appended more and more letters onto the acronym as various causes and sexually/genderfluid people were gradually accepted under the generalized banner, and it's now become so unwieldy that the movement should recenter under the generalized term "queer" and be done with it

it's both awkward and a visual reminder of how exclusionary the gay movement was to start, rejecting bi/trans people for a long time as either "bad gays" or "liars", respectively, and keeping the acronym is more indicative of that more shameful part of the movement's legacy

it works now since the negative connotation of queer has been removed because the movement was able to take the word back and works as a catchall

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

xcore posted:

I always thought it was a cleanliness thing. Untrue?

well, no, doctors aren't in agreement on whether or not male circumcision results in a lower rate of infection due to lack of foreskin (if it is, it's marginal and might be offset by increased exposure of the foreskin-less penis)

and either way it was popularized in america, the country that implements male circumcision by far the most, by a nut who believed that circumcision would result in boys not itching their penises as often, which meant that they wouldn't therefore masturbate because scratching your penis = jacking off or something

that nut was this weirdo dude who was stringently anti-masturbation and sex in general, not from religion or anything but because he genuinely believed that masturbation and sex for any reason other than explicit procreation was what caused basically every single illness. his pushing of male circumcision to curb masturbation was his by-far least horrific method of curbing masturbation, considering he also recommended female circumcision for sexually exploratory girls and tying the penis to the body in such a way as an erection would be virtually impossible without ludicrous levels of pain on the boy's part

that nut, by the way? his name was john kellogg. if that name sounds familiar, yes, he's the same guy who founded the cereal empire. grape nuts, granola, and corn flakes were all inventions on his part because he believed that diet was linked to sexual desire, so he intentionally designed the blandest and plainest foods possible because he assumed that eating rich foods was why people were horny

he also was super obsessed with colons, like, he had an enema a day and he founded a facility where he gave people daily enemas

anyways, next time you're enjoying a bowl of frosted flakes or shredded wheat be aware that you're supporting a company founded by a guy who pushed male circumcision because he hated sex so much

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

wrt the expanding acronyms, I feel it's doubly a relic now that we've got "queer" back. You might be homosexual, bisexual, transsexual, demisexual, pansexual, whatever the hell orientation is going to come out in a week, but it's all queer. All expanding the acronym is going to do is make eyes roll and encourage division.

yeah the recentering of the word to being a positive connotation is like what the black community did with the word "black" to the point where every time i hear the words "African-American" i think the person is really, really loving old

the whole "lgbt" acronym's even worse than that because of both its legacy and the fact that it's become even more unwieldy than the mouthful that is "African-American", the cause would benefit from just labelling everyone within it "queer"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

queer is the common term used in academia or on the lecture circuit (queer advocate, Queer Studies, Queer Voice, Queer Expert), and as a pejorative the term has shifted to the much harsher "human being" and even the term "gay" (the gays, etc)

queer is just an old insult, it's been p successfully phased out as an diminutive term and even if it didn't the benefits of using it as a generalized term over an acronym that already includes the term 'queer' as part of it are much higher

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think "fluid" is a decent alternative, especially since it's commonly believed that sexuality and gender are both fluid and that nobody is 100% cisgendered or 100% straight

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Anyway, the problem with "queer" as a category is that there are too many straight people in it.

yeah this whole exclusionary attitude is exactly how the LGBTIQA acronym fiasco got started, so

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Although if you bring up your own personal fetishes unprompted then you forfeit your right to complain when people mock you for it.

this is the crucial thing, i have literally never seen an instance of kinkshaming that wasn't 100% warranted

the mythical "guy comes into group of people on forums.bondagetalk.com in their own private discussion thread and calls them all creepy faggots" is just that, a myth, every instance of kinkshaming i have seen is someone in a completely unrelated public forum bringing up how they like to whack it to underage anime girls and getting all mad when everyone else completely justifiably goes "you're a creepy loving weirdo"

your kinks should be just like your genitalia: show that poo poo to people who want to see them and nobody else

it's crucial too because when you don't publicly shame and humiliate people for being creepy weirdos, you get situations like tvtropes or reddit where their laissez-faire attitude allows the absolute worst of humanity to dominate discussion because there's no fear of punishment

like the sa forums used to be really, REALLY aggressively anti-furry for a reason, because there was a significant time period where the furry community was dominated by weirdos who would bring up how they wanted to bang babs from space jam completely unwarranted, everywhere

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 4, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

that's zeitgueist, who was never a mod and just perma'd in fact and iirc it was more a highlight of how much of a hypocrite he was (considering he's sort of a parody of the Angry Tumblr Feminist and iirc it was chokey punchy sex over "just" bdsm) than of any function of kinkshaming

zeitgueist is more of an exception than a rule because he went around intentionally pissing everyone off, reap what you sow there hombre

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 4, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thirty for thirty....*tents fingers*....owns

but FNL owns harder and if you don't "get" why sports are important or positive influences on their communities in their purest sense after watching it, well

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Veskit posted:

I couldn't get past season 2 it got too loving much about pregnancies and bad high school romance but that first loving season man.

season 2 is generally regarded as both the worst season of the show and one of the worst examples of "Terrible season of a fantastic show"

personally speaking i find it better than 1 because 1 had the godawfu love triangle which just dominated everything and never knew how to write street

but yeah watch FNL dudes, it...owns

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

Counterpoint: The city of Philadelphia

that's not fair since philly fans are the worst assholes of anything and i say that as a steelers fan

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Violet_Sky posted:

We told were that the hymen is not a good indicator for virginity and you can get pregnant despite not having PiV sex.

That's technically true but seems like one step into "any sort of sex can get you pregnant" which is what the abstinence crowd trots out

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the point more is that yes, you can technically get pregnant from anal/oral depending on how aggressive your post-sex hygiene is , but bringing it up even as a stat point puts undue weight on the likeliness of it happening

like sure, you can technically get pregnant even if you use condoms correctly and responsibly, at the correct time to prevent pre-ejaculate from leaking - it's "only" 99.7% effective with all those precautions in place. Is it likely? No, but even stating that during sexual education courses makes it imply that condoms are, as opposed to being a literal free pass for consequence-free sexual intercourse when used correctly like they actually are, a faulty and irresponsible choice prone to failure just as often as success

we had an abstinence only sex ed douchebag teach p much exactly that, the dude went on and on about how the trucks that they carry condoms to drugstores aren't refrigerated correctly and that "real" failure rates of condoms are as high as 25%- that means if you have sex four times, even with condoms, you're BOUND to get pregnant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

axeil posted:

So semi serious question, how many refugees are being taken in here in the States?

like less than a thousand

we are apparently providing heavy financial aid though

• Locked thread