Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I honestly wonder how many sex-ed classes these days go somewhere along the lines of "We looked this stuff up on Google on our own ages ago, why are you wasting our time with this?"

Probably fewer than you'd think. Even with stuff like wikipedia on hand it's not always something people are going to go out of their way to look up, and depending on how they were raised a lot of the accurate information online might conflict with the cultural mores their parents passed down to them. Also, a lack of context, vocabulary, or not even knowing what questions to ask can limit the amount of understand they can glean, despite having all of the raw information at their fingertips.

Like, check out the teen pregnancy rates in some of the southern states that heavily favor abstinence education. Presumably most of those kids have access to the internet, and look at all the good it did them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Schizotek posted:

I was taught that all gay sex involved shoving lightbulbs or arms (it made sure to emphasise that most did it up to the elbow) up your partners rear end before dying of AIDS. This included lesbians.

poo poo, this almost sounds like a challenge. Nah kid, you couldn't handle bein' gay, to be gay you gotta get Exxtreme.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think Stewart, and Oliver for that matter, are quite aware of where they stand. The comedy defense has always been more about the fact that their satire and wry commentary shows a greater resemblance to journalism than what the actual journalists are doing. Yes, they sometimes hop back and forth over the line, but that's pretty obviously born out of a deep frustration with the deplorable state of our news media and it's inability to actually talk about anything worthwhile.

Whenever this question comes up, I always think back to that Crossfire interview Jon did back in... gently caress, 2004? And his response to this exact criticism, "You're on CNN! The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That clip of him talking at what I assume is some kind of debate was aces.

"It. Will be. A poo poo-show."

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 12, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

At what point does the LWT team decide to drop half the awful jokes and add another 20 minutes of actual content to make for a full hour of show. I'm getting tired of the format only allowing for the one key piece when there's a dozen other things that could benefit from 2-3 minutes a piece. Also most of the jokes make it unwatchable to anyone who otherwise isn't already a fan. Trying to use olivers segments to convince red hats (or just a regular conservative) the actual journalism is undercut by the non-sequitors

Expanding the show isn't so easy as cutting jokes or adding to the run time. Oliver's mentioned in interviews that a lot of the show's budget goes into research and background work. Doing additional long-form story segments would mean losing some amount of depth from each one, and Oliver prefers the laser focus on a single topic per week.

As for broadening the appeal, no. No, no, no. People have been saying this in one form or another since Jon Stewart created the modern Daily Show and that's not how it works. These shows are entertainment first and foremost. Asking John—a comedian—to become a full-time investigative journalist is missing the point. When the satirists are doing better news than the actual newsmen, you do not point to them and say "do less comedy and more news." You turn to the newsmen and say "get off your asses and stop getting upstaged by that poncy British wharf-rat."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

"A sudden and mysterious lack of spiders," is one of the funniest things I've heard in a good while.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, tons of progressives were beautiful in their youth. See also: Tim Kaine

Time rots us all.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And all of those stunts put together are still not a patch on the budget of HBO's bigger shows. They also pay dividends in headlines and viewership when everyone watches to see what he'll do next.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 4, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Same, except I have faith in juche and didn't doubt myself for a second.

Who the hell else could it be other than Al? Can anyone even name another remotely famous person who plays the accordion?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Good episode. People forget about oligopolies a lot, which is weird, because there's so many of them.

A lot of it is down to clever branding. Sure, maybe an industry is in the hands of a mere two or three companies, but so long as every arm has a different name nobody notices unless they read that "wholly owned subsidiary" bit in the fine print.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Good episode tonight, but the whole thing was a bit overshadowed by the opening saying they plan to do a full segment on the lawsuit.

Can't wait for that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Considering how much money they incinerated this week on worthless movie memorabilia, I wouldn't be shocked if they made an office in-joke out of trying to come up with the laziest, cheapest prop the could imagine.

On that note, it's a drat shame the Alaska segment didn't make it onto the official youtube. Nobody should miss out on it.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 16, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Man, spending eighty grand on a pointless bit is the kind of thing I could see the Oliver of ten years ago cracking jokes about on the Bugle.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Phenotype posted:

i want enhanced muscles so i can jump higher and run really fast

Phenotype posted:

also i would inject myself with a crisper that gives me retractable claws from my hands

You can have all this, but you'll also go color blind and grow a cloaca.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's a false equivalence. A pretty bad one. There is a big difference between the discrimination and bigotry which leads to the assumed guilt of people of color vs. the he-said, she-said stalemate occurring in a world where sexual assault and harassment are so prevalent and so pernicious.

Seriously, even if you are a responsible guy who is aware of and tries to be sensitive towards this issue, you're probably still less likely to be falsely accused than you are to actually commit some form of sexual harassment out of ignorance or negligence. poo poo is that pervasive.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 30, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

In Louis CK's case, it was clearly him knowing drat well it was wrong, but the impulse was strong enough that only overt negation would dissuade him. More generally, dudes in our culture are accustomed to swinging our dicks around, metaphorically—or not, depending. We're raised and live in a world that allows, and even encourages us to be reckless and uninhibited with our sexuality. If something goes awry, there's rarely any harm or consequence for us. It's hard to imagine a better environment for breeding a carelessness lack of consideration, and that's without even taking into account how our culture treats women.

"Afraid to be around a woman because they might give the wrong impression" is a dog-whistle for "I know I'm a misogynist, and I don't trust myself to keep it in check."

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 31, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This week, for the first time I can remember, LWT dropped format and spent an entire episode talking about the story of the day. If you're one of the five people not following the Kavanaugh mess, you should definitely watch. It's a good summary of the most important political story since Nov. 2016.

Edit: the whole thing is up on their youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opi8X9hQ7q8

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

For anyone wondering why this is all happening now, Mark Blyth—an economics professor at Brown University—gives a lot of excellent hour+ talks on the subject. Here's one of his storer ones that condense many of the basics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4nZ43N8Qy0

TDLR: a common theme for the last few decades is capital in the social democracies selling out labor to maintain profit margins. We're reaching a point where the current system in the west is squeezing people to the breaking point, which leaves them much more susceptible to populist appeals from both the right and left.

Tack on a whole bunch of looming crises resulting from climate change, and a resurgence of authoritarianism in traditionally conservative countries like Russia and China... we're probably in for a rough few decades, and we're better positioned to endure than a lot of places. Countries with less wealth and stability are in for a poo poo time, and folks suck in developing nations where climate change will hit hardest are probably completely hosed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

In his defense, your post is vague enough to read as either whataboutism or as fuckthisawfulhellworld.

This was an excellent episode. Family separation and the overall handling of immigration is probably the most damning thing this administration's done to date, but as always happens in Trump Land the story got pushed off by the next horrible thing, and the next, and etc. I'm glad John took the time to pull some attention back onto the issue.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, at this point there's really no arguing that a disparagingly huge portion of the U.S. just straight up wants anyone who isn't white to suffer and die.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No. Oliver's affable buffoonery is one of the few bright spots in the otherwise miserable world of current events.

Is he a good comedian? Hardly, but drat if he isn't earnest, and that gives him a kind of Dickensian charm.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 14, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, funny or not, the bits where he wastes tons of HBO's money on some idiot scheme are amazing.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 14, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Maybe it would be better if it was actually funny then

The “...cool” joke is pretty good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, hell of a downer to end the season on, but it's an important topic. As the pressure from climate change mounts, the number of people and nations susceptible to authoritarianism is only gonna go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MegaZeroX posted:

We got to do something in this thead for the next two months. Here, have a kitten

Maybe lock the thread until new episodes show up? I know some other TV threads do that to keep the poo poo posting to a minimum between seasons.

• Locked thread