Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancer
May 23, 2011
Nope. He mentioned it last time, one week break. They'll be back next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Atomizer posted:

Plus, what I originally wrote wasn't even remotely racist, because it literally had nothing to do with race. It's clear that you have no loving clue what racism is, so you might want to do a little research first before accusing anyone of it.

Acting like language being described as "urban" isn't intrinsically interlinked with race in an American context is either ignorant or disingenuous. It is clear that you have no loving clue what racism is, so you might want to do a little research first before acting like you are above inadvertently saying racially coded things.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Atomizer posted:

Urban settings are often quite loving diverse even if certain areas can be more concentrated by language, ethnicity, and so on, (e.g. Chinatown, Little Italy, etc.) Describing something as "urban" is in no way racist by default, and certainly not in context. In my example, the speech pattern described is appropriately attributed to a more urban demographic, because it sure as gently caress isn't native to, say, Texas or Minnesota. There was no "coding" involved (except that it was a loving R&M reference) because it was an appropriate descriptor of the dialect referenced.

The assumption that some of you are making that "urban=racist" shows your own biases, not mine. You clearly don't understand racism, because there was none implied in what I posted. You want an example of racism? How about if someone were to describe Latin American and/or Caribbean nations that are largely populated by those of Native American and/or African descent as "shithole countries," and to clarify the point, describe Norway as containing desirable immigrants? One doesn't have to be biased against the people referenced to understand that the speaker clearly implied that those with brown/black skin are inferior to those with "white" skin (i.e. "Chalkasians"); that's overt racism. Saying that some groups in a generic "urban" [implied to be US-based] setting speak in a given way (a dialect) is just an observation; it's literally linguistics.

You don't get to single-handedly decide the meaning of language. Describing language as "Urban" is racially coded. Just because you didn't mean to imply a thing, doesn't mean that you succesfully didn't imply the thing. You're the billionth fragile white guy to not understand every single facet of racial interactions (which is entirely ok! Nobody understands everything and everyone makes mistakes and that's how they learn) and then get pissy when people explain to you a layer you missed.

Also, if you want to play "I'm the adult in the room, can we stop this pointless conversation", maybe don't call people idiots while you're at it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think the point was the right wanted a nationalistic movie that went "U-S-A!" and they were actually trying to make an apolitical film and make it about "a giant leap for mankind". So naturally people saw that as a political statement.

I mean, it is a political statement. A decent one.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Phi230 posted:

The centrism defender has logged on. How long with the both sides rhetoric continue?

Note how there is no support for any of your claims, you're just huffing ze pure ideology

The country and world have radical problems, and need radical solutions. Nobody buys your attempts to tie the left to nazis.

Your post is also categorically wrong, but I guess you're just a chud and don't care.

Note how there is no support for any of your claims, you're just huffing ze pure ideology

• Locked thread