Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Yeah the show's found its groove. The attack ads and ending skit were great, never really seen anything like them on TV before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I love Shep Smith

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

radlum posted:

I guess that Abbot thing is John's way to ask for forgiveness after he said the whole country was casually racist.

They elected him :v:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The Assad-LMFAO bits on the Bugle were great too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKm4GBe-KHk

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
It was an interstitial segment to replace an adbreak, lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Read John Oliver's cover story for RS. They're planning an episode called "Our Friend Israel".

That's surprising considering the way he tiptoed around it during Protective Edge. Ideally he'll explore how batshit the country's become since the assassination of Rabin, but going into how much US money is sent there in return for gently caress all or how all criticism of Israel in US media is tramped down (which is more likely) would be refreshing too

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Man the Varoufakis & Pink Van bits were bad. Those dangerous Greeks don't want austerity! He looks slimy! Even did the Jon Stewart finger-to-mouth thing at one point :(

You played Find The South American Country last week too :mad:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

SlothfulCobra posted:

This episode was mostly a miss for me.

First of all, the Fanta-nazi thing was a little unfair, since the German branch of the Coca Cola company did everything you could reasonably expect to not be involved with the Nazis. The man in charge never became a member of the party (when everyone including the future pope was), and he kept all the profits to give back to the company at the end of the war. It'd be easier to go after IBM, they helped enable the holocaust.

The bit wasn't attacking fanta for being invented by Nazis; it was attacking coke for overlooking the Nazi context to make a whimsical ad in 2015. Two dstinct things imo.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

As a non-american who wasn't aware of the citizenship/voting status in the american territories I actually found the latest episode to be highly informative and interesting.

As an Israeli though I found the segment about the Israeli elections to be laughably shallow and focusing on completely dumb aspects of the various campaigns, some of the burns felt particularly forced such as interpreting Netanyahu's "Left wing = ISIS" statement with the throwaway "oh they wouldn't wait for the results of the elections would they?" comment when it's obvious that that wasn't the actually message that the ad tried to convey (where the actual message itself is actually horrific and worthy of mockery), and if you already show that ad you have to at least mention how the song that was used in it is performed by a palestinian rap group that is now suing Likud over copyright infringement, it felt like the writers were too scared to write anything too critical lest they alienate anyone, I was disappointed.

Yeah, and surely Bibisitter would have been better to demonstrate that nutso paternalistic thing that Likud has going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ1BltDU4iM

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I'm not a ladder idiot

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

SlothfulCobra posted:

gently caress., just...gently caress. The goddamned dedication John Oliver had to go to Russia not just to interview Edward Snowden, but to make fun of him and break his spirit some, makes him simultaneously the best and worst person there is.

It was really good. From crushing disappointment to hope by way of dick pics :unsmith:

Shadoer posted:

Dammit, I need to see this. Why isn't this on YouTube yet?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Haha yesss

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Why are corporations responsible for everything wrong on this show?

Because it's about real life, I think

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Xoidanor posted:

Germany's election system is dog poo poo retarded too. "Oh we recognise the issues with single-seat constituencies so we made half the seats proportional, problem solved" :downs:

It's a tad more complicated than that (especially in regards to the distribution of seats) but isn't exactly a shining beacon.

MMP owns actually, and leads to parliaments that are totally proportionate to the party vote.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Orange Devil posted:

So does party list proportional representation and you don't have to deal with districts.

Local representatives do important work for their constituents tho

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
That Edge joke was incredible

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Philip Rivers posted:

I liked the trans rights segment. It was pretty basic but handled really well, and I especially appreciated that there was relatively equal attention given to trans women and men. Also space bestiality.

I think using transmen as examples works really well to argue against the ~bathroom invader~ angle. Would you want this guy in a women's bathroom with your daughter?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The whole site is a giant donate button, I love it.

Gonz posted:

Make EGGSPLOSION happen, New Zealanders.

Make it happen.

Eggsplosion is scrub tier

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
:siren: Jet-ski :siren:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
It made me feel uncomfortable tbh, turning it into something for the studio audience to laugh at.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
re: Refugee numbers worldwide

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The North Dakota story was good, contractor loopholes could be an episode unto themselves.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Nice to see the cast of The Love Guru back together

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

webmeister posted:

And when John Oliver said "Australia got rid of their 1c coin", it's not a recent thing. We got rid of 1c and 2c coins in 1991.

Yeah, we got rid of 1c and 2c coins in 1990, and the 5c in 2006. What's the point if you can't buy anything with them?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The international stories last season were by far the weakest, hopefully this time they'll stick to poo poo they actually know about

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Steven Joyce is NZ's Karl Rove, to contextualise things

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The Swiss war crime joke was good as hell

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

zVxTeflon posted:

That Hamilton thing sounds dumb as all gently caress is it really that popular?

It's a stage adaption of the popular youtube series "Epic Rap Battles Of History"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
You can tell John is getting serious when he calls somebody a "loving arsehole"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
New Zealand's state-owned tv station is trash, but the radio station is really good (which is why its funding has been frozen for seven years)

• Locked thread