Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Bill Maher does ten minutes, an interview, then lets his panel argue until five minutes of new rules. I agree that Last Week Tonight is excellent and there needs to be a lot more of it, but that isn't the best comparison to make.

(I also wish we had more outspoken atheists like Maher, just not like Maher with his ugly anti-Islam. Better to be anti-religion, you'll either ruffle fewer feathers or more of the right ones.)

I would love for you to tell me who "the right ones" are. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

thehustler posted:

Seems to be just to hammer the point home for an American audience (as :smug: as that sounds...)

We understand spoken humor just fine, especially since we actually spell it correctly.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Leb posted:

If the conflict sees further escalation, as Netanyahu is suggesting, I think it would be disappointing, indeed, since this is precisely the kind of complicated, intractable issue that Oliver has (rapidly) made a name for himself by tackling.

Haha, Oliver would never touch this. His segments thus far have taken a position that most of his audience — 18-36 year olds who lean left — would agree with him on. There is no way he commits himself to an issue that transcends political parties like Israeli politics.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Jack Skeleton posted:

You know, I am so tired of the internet not being able to properly describe things anymore.

Hey man, there is no need to eviscerate the internet like this.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Fragmented posted:

The difference is not being beholden to advertising partly. It must be awesome to joke about anything you want in a fake news format. I mean you can say whatever in standup but for some reason people pay attention to fake news.

I don't think that scaring off advertisers is as big of a concern as you seem to think it is. Sure, with a show like Top Gear, being beholden to advertisers (most of whom are in the automotive industry) would be a conflict of interest. TGUS proves that well enough. However, a satirical news show isn't saddled with the same narrow advertising sources. The Daily Show's audience is pretty much the wet dream of an ad agency: 18-35 year olds with disposable income. That kind of dampens any threats of "be nice to us or we'll pull our ads."

However, I'm kind of curious what you think John Oliver is doing that would be too objectionable for an ad-supported cable network, besides saying "gently caress" a few times. I'll admit that I'm a filthy poor without HBO, but the segments posted to Youtube suggest that most of his material is about general concepts rather than specific companies. No company is pulling its advertising because John Oliver did a segment about the wealth gap.

I don't think that John is better due to being on HBO, and suggesting so is kind of an insult to him and his staff. To me, he's better because he manages to be consistently funnier and more informative. Jon Stewart's biggest problem, as far as I'm concerned, is that he loves making GBS threads on news media too much. He prides himself less on informing the public, and more on making fun of cable news for misinforming them. After more than a decade, this has gotten stale, but he enjoys doing it too much to change it up.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 27, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah I liked that story about the dumb town in one of the Carolinas iirc (please hold for JT Jag's irate specification of which Carolina) where the law was every drink at a bar had to be made with airline bottles. It's silly and stupid and mocking it on television might have spurred people to change the law, but it isn't this stomach-churning intractable evil thing like so much of what TDS now covers in its reporter at large segments.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/c892kg/1-5-amendment

Samantha Bee has been there forever.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

Boondock Saints is an incredibly inept and bad film that really only appeals to people who don't know better. Everything it tries to do and be was done better before and after it. It tries (and hugely fails) so hard that most of the runtime induces a gigantic cringe for me. It really doesn't help that it's unlike-ably juvenile either.

I understand that people like it and I think I even understand why, but it makes me sad.

You could always do them a favor by turning them onto a genuinely good film in the same vein like Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Seems that John has added to the list of countries that he has pissed off.

He should see how far he can go with this. A well placed Falklands war joke could lengthen the list even further.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Has there ever been a thing that's been better after PAC's got involved?

Colbert Report

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

It's me. I'm the schmuck who will laugh at the same joke show after show.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

They could totally get rid of the skits and just run another news story and I'd be happy.

Infrastructure is probably the best thing Ed Norton has ever done. What is wrong with you?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The Puerto Rico question is tricky because so far, the majority has rejected statehood, at least tacitly.

A referendum was held in 2012. While 52% expressed disatisfaction with the current status and 61% of the votes cast selected statehood, the majority of the votes cast were blank. That meant that while statehood captured 61% of the 3 choices presented (statehood, fully independent state, or independent state with association with US), it was actually only 45% of the actual vote cast with the majority of people basically stating they didn't like all 3 choices.

If you choose not to vote, you give up the right to have your opinion matter. It's like saying that Obama shouldn't be President because only 30% of eligible Americans voted for him.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 9, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

They didn't choose not to vote. They voted with a blank ballot. That's a significant difference.

Much like with the Presidential election, if you don't vote for someone on the ticket, you basically didn't vote. A majority of voters who answered the question as well as a plurality of all voters picked statehood. That's clear enough to begin the process of admitting them.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

No, they voted that they were dissatisfied with the current situation They just didn't like the 3 alternatives that the change would be and left that question blank. If I were to wager a guess, they want a change that does not involve independence or statehood but gives them greater political voice in the federal government.

No, you're missing the forest for the trees. It sin't the same thing since this outcome tells us unequivocally that if there was a general referendum where the only question is "Do you want Puerto Rico to become a state?" it would fail. Only 54% of people want change in the first place and only 45% of those who want change want to become a state.

That means a general referendum on statehood would likely have an outcome of only about 25% for statehood.

This is incorrect. The percentage of people who voted for change and the percentage of people who voted for statehood were not associated like this.

quote:

970,910 (54.00%) voted "No" on the first question, expressing themselves against maintaining the current political status, and 828,077 (46.00%) voted "Yes", to maintain the current political status. Of those who answered on the second question 834,191 (61.11%) chose statehood, 454,768 (33.34%) chose free association, and 74,895 (5.55%) chose independence.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

First off, you are right, 25% was in error as I assumed those who did not reject the first question did not vote on the 2nd which was wrong. However, when taking all ballots into account including ones that were blank on the 2nd question, statehood only got 45%. You cannot ignore this data.

Say what you will about them throwing away their vote or not participating in the process. Had this been a real referendum with a binary decision on whether or not Puerto Rico should be a state, those half million voters wouldn't leave it blank or say yes. They would have said no. As of 2012, the majority of Puerto Rico did not want to become a state. The majority wants change of some sort, but they are very divided about what that change should be. This is further supported by the 1998 referendum that had 5 options including "None of the above". Satehood got 46% and "None of the above" got 50%. This time they simply eliminated "None of the above" nudge the results in a particular direction.

The governor-elect actually called for people to leave the 2nd question blank because the party wanted to retain current status and that wasn't one of the options given.

The federal government allocated funds to have another referendum vote as of last year. It will be interesting to see the results of this one will be and how the questions are framed. This is the first referendum to be funded by the federal government rather than Puerto Rico.

"Retain current status" was one of the options given. It was asked in the first question, and still managed to receive fewer votes than statehood. More people in Puerto Rico want statehood than want any other type of government.

You make a big assumption in that every vote for something other than statehood would necessarily be a vote against it. The majority may not consider statehood their first choice, but independence and free association are both hilariously bad options given Puerto Rico's economic reliance on the US. Those two options made up almost 39% of the vote, and I think you'd see that voting bloc fracture if it really came down to it.

I'm also very interested to see the results of the next referendum, mostly because I expect statehood to clean house.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

stop_taking_irish_joe_seriously.gif

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

It amazes me that people have become so used to the idea that schools give full ride scholarships to —and bend admission requirements for— athletes that Oliver can say "athletes don't get paid a cent" and nobody calls him out on it. Seriously, do you think those are offered because schools just love sports?

Comparing some girl making 10 bucks an hour in the bookstore to student athletes is a crock of poo poo, since only one of those two is shouldering soul crushing amounts of student debt.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Zythrst posted:

They also don't get kicked out of school, because they tore their ACL's doing an activity that makes the school millions. Like if you want to say the scholarship is enough remuneration then fine whatever(I don't agree, but fine), but that doesn't deny the fact that they are providing labor for the these universities and should be eligible for workers comp.

I don't disagree. Players losing their scholarships for injuries is a completely indefensible practice, but that's completely separate from the issue of outright paying players.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 17, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Keep in mind that just because you are getting a "free education" you're not really getting an education. Many of these students are ordered to take easy courses/majors, get free passes on assignments and classes, and I remember a report from a couple years ago saying some of these basketball/football athletes graduated college illiterate; they want them to spend more time on sports and less time in the classroom. Honestly, if you aren't going pro your best bet is to study hard and concentrate on school and have a better shot in the real world and have debt than to get a free ride, learn nothing, and basically gain nothing for four years. Some pro athletes said they majored in communications because it was easy, but they found it to be pretty worthless should they have not made it pro.

Gyges posted:

She's also going to end up with an actual degree, a lack of traumatic injury, a work history, and avoid 4 years of stress from worrying about losing everything because your acl exploded. Aside from getting minimum wage for the hundreds of dollars she made the school. As opposed to the thousands\millions the athlete made the school. If the scholarship is to be worth its sticker value then the school's going to have to make sure the athletes can actually take advantage of it by cutting down on the more than full time hours the sport requires.

I think universities need to provide health benefits to players, guaranteed scholarships in the case of injuries, and provide them with the time and support necessary to pass their classes (though, if you graduate illiterate, that is saying a lot more about your grade school than about your college). I agree with Oliver on all those points, I just don't think any of those issues is solved by paying the players.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

The only thing dumber than taking Irish Joe seriously is smugposting about having a poster on your ignore list.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Dolash posted:

It kind of makes me wonder if this is what the other side of the political spectrum feels like when they're watching blowhard Fox personalities work them up into a frothy rage, except actually grounded in terrible things going on and not imagined liberal bogey-men.

Yes, except they remember their rage during the next election. :negative:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It proves that contextualizing things in to something a guy or gal on the street can identify with is the way to get change. Conflating the head of the FCC as a babysitter that happens to be a dingo, creating an ad blitz with Jeff the diseased lung, and showing how unfettered surveillance means that the government is staring at your junk is necessary for that context.

I agree to an extent, but I do think that the whole dick pics thing oversimplifies a serious issue. The fact that NSA employees pass around dick pics for fun is the least horrifying thing about a government agency that has the ability to access pretty much any data it wants with only a kangaroo court to keep it in check.

A huge part of any conversation on government surveillance is about how privacy is important even if you're not a terrorist, because a ton of people operate with that mindset of "if you have nothing to hide, why do you care?" This was never brought up, and it really should have been.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzGzB-yYKcc

Changing all my passwords immediately to Snowden's suggestion.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - margaretthatcheris110%SEXY

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Not a Children posted:

I was hoping he'd say something about how you can accurately gauge the length of patent protection by taking a look at the age of Mickey Mouse

That's trademark and copyright protection, not patents.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Unless I'm misunderstanding this type of test, you're not supposed to get everything correct. If you're able to answer all the questions, you are significantly above average in your age group.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

It's kind of funny to see someone who considers "gently caress you, got mine" to be a legitimate argument.

When I got injured playing footy, should I not have been allowed time off work in order to heal? I mean, I made the choice to participate with full knowledge of the risks.
A few years ago, my father had eye surgery that required him to be out of work for 3 weeks. He might have been able to continue doing his job without the surgery, so do you think it was unfair to his coworkers for him to take that time off?

Do you also oppose paid vacation? I mean, why does that fucker get a paycheck while he's skiing in Colorado?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

Your anecdotes don't make any reasonable sense. If I got hurt playing sports, I'd have to take paid vacation or unpaid leave at the discretion of my boss, and that's how it SHOULD BE. Just because you type all day in someone's employ doesn't make them responsible for your entire freaking life. I'm sorry about your dad, but a grown man should have enough money saved to make it 0-3 weeks (depending on his leftover vacation) to go without pay. Beyond that, like a major illness - you can try for disability?

Paid vacation is part of your employment package. It's factored into your pay. I think you are missing something.

I'm not even the bad guy here. I'm not taking it to some crazy extreme. I said, let them have 2-4 weeks off paid (even though it pisses me off), and up to 3 months with guaranteed job security. Don't make me into some straw man republican DUDE who wants to tell chicks what to do with their vaginas. I happen to have one.

Someone made a false equivalency about old people. Well those old people payed into Social Security all their lives and would probably have had MORE money in the long-run if they'd just been able to keep it in the first place, but people are idiots- so the government takes a small percentage to make sure they don't all waste it on hookers and blow and end up penniless at 65. Probably a good plan. The fact that it's not funded and maintained correctly and requires a pyramid scheme of more and more babies is irrelevant to the original question.

My one mistake was forgetting about those few states where having a baby is NOT a choice. That's not my fault. That's those stupid rednecks' fault. Paying for contraception is a million times cheaper than paying for unwanted babies by the way, and I'm happy to do it, because I believe in a woman's right to choose, and being legally forced to carry a baby you don't want is basically a horrifying nightmare scenario. At some point though, you gotta think "Get the hell out of that idiot state and stop voting for those idiot men, or you deserve what you get". (does not apply to minors). There is an exception to every rule, but 99% of women can take birth control that is 99% effective. And in 9/10ths of the civilized world, you can still fix a mistake after that. That makes it a "choice".

So tell me - honestly - how does supporting more paid maternity leave actually HELP ME or the planet? Why is it "good"? Why would I want that? I think your answers have been mostly really trite and silly. Why would I vote for something that makes my working life harder? I think your suggestions that NOT doing it is making women have to choose between being moms or working is ridiculous. You can be a mom AND work. Everyone I know does. After the horrifying physical effects have worn off, why the hell should they get to stay home and get paid while the other people in the office (or whatever) cover for their lazy asses? That is in effect, perpetuating the stereotype that women need to stay home with their babies. It's doing the exact opposite of what you're saying. It's keeping moms HOME instead of at work.

Frankly, kids need more time away from their stupid helicopter parents these days anyways. (sorry got a little Off-topic, but even my own friends piss me off now. Let the kid BE ALONE for two seconds, JESUS)

Since you've apparently chosen to never have kids, then I guess paid maternity leave won't help you. It will however help the 86% of Americans who will become a parent in their lifetime.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

Apparently there is a "norm" here now, and if you disagree, you are a troll, unless you cite your sources like some kind of wikipedia-bot. I'll stick to making fun of Japanese Mascots from now on.

Literally no one has called you a troll. You're getting crass replies because your reasoning is hilariously self-centered.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Could y'all do this, in maybe the forum that's actually about discussing politics and policy?

You're right. How dare we discuss the main political story of a political comedy show in that show's thread.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

I support workers getting more leave per year, higher minimum wage, and more job security for weird emergencies. I just don't see choosing to have babies as a worker's rights issue.

How is it not a worker's rights issue? People, women especially, are being punished for trying to start families. It's something 86% of Americans will choose to do at some point, and yet you act like the people who make that choice are in the minority.

Shageletic posted:

Because this five page conversation has been so useful, enjoyable, and informative. People in this thread, at least the people really trying to argue, aren't interested in evidence based statements or informative bits of data. Its a total winge-fit.
Yeah, I find clicking that Last Page button to be an insurmountable obstacle as well.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 12, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

This show started off strong but has lately gone to poo poo. I can't believe he dedicated a sketch to broken polar bear penises.

Except I've seen that sketch 3 times now, and it's still funny.

I know it's shocking, but most people watch comedy shows to laugh.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

The federals just arrested the poo poo out of several top FIFA executives on corruption charges. Sepp Blatter was not among them, but if the New York Times is to be believed the people that did get hit count for something.

http://nyti.ms/1etKwQg

Bye bye 2026 World Cup

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

This would be less of a problem if the IOC wasn't so deadset on the concept of the Olympic Village. Most developed countries have a lot of that required infrastructure already in place, just not all in one location. It's absurd to put world class facilities all in one city and expect people to make use of them.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm still not sure that I understand how daily fantasy works. Fantasy sports is based on the performance of players over a given period, right? So for daily fantasy, are you limited to the set of players/teams that are playing that day--if there's anything going on that day?

That's the part that really baffled me. Because otherwise it's just running off made-up numbers.

Yeah, it's limited to the teams who are playing that day. However, an MLB team plays 162 games over 6 months, so it's not like there are very many off days.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Gyges posted:

Stewart would use the comedy defense when questioned on journalistic responsibility and ethics, which was a 100% valid rebuttal. Comedy is an art that touches on many different disciplines and fields, which inevitably causes it to have some overlap with those disciplines and fields. So while comedy can have it's fingers in journalism, holding it to the mores and responsibilities expected of Journalists is foolish. Stewart and the various shows that grew out of his Daily Show are comedy using tools of Journalism, among others, not Journalists hiding behind the shield of comedy.

At what point do you draw the line though? Jon Stewart is not and will not be remembered as the guy who made fun of CNN four nights a week. He's going to be remembered for the tremendous amount of influence he had on how young people saw the government. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to say that Jon Stewart knew exactly how people saw him and liked to hop across that line as he saw fit.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 14, 2016

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is the rationale behind SCOTUS appointments being for life, as opposed to a fixed term of tenure (Like say, 10 year appointments, where they rotate out, so you'd get a new appointment every 2 years or something like that)? The latter would still have the same protections against political retaliation as the former, but without the problems they've had with an entrenched supreme court, where a president can indirectly exert power for potentially decades after their term ends just because someone happened to die while they were in office.

The Supreme Court basically gave itself the power of judicial review. I doubt the framers anticipated that the court would become the political battleground that it is.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Am I misunderstanding what the FBI was asking Apple to do? I was under the impression —and this segment seemed to suggest— that the FBI was asking them to disable the feature that wipes the phone if the password is entered incorrectly a number of times, not actually develop a backdoor in the encryption itself.

Keep in mind I'm not agreeing with the FBI, I just want to make sure I'm on the same page as all of you.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

There is a clear difference between being able to do something and being legally able to do something. It can be argued that if the FBI cracks your encryption, that since it constitutes hacking into the phone, the evidence was illegally obtained. If you obtain the information through a lawful court order the evidence is fully admissible. The NSA or CIA don't care since they operate outside the law, but the FBI would care a lot.

I don't think that argument holds much water. You're basically saying that any computer with a password is untouchable by law enforcement, which is clearly not true. This is exactly why they have warrants.

And if it was illegal for the FBI to hack into your phone, how is uploading a custom version of iOS onto the phone and then brute forcing the password not hacking?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

tarlibone posted:

I think the point is that with a warrant, they can force you to hand over that locked box. Now, you might have destroyed the only key, and if it's a combination lock they can compel you to tell them the combination but if you refuse, other than locking you up, there's poo poo-all they can do about it. With this iPhone situation, they can't get in without the cooperation of the suspect, who is dead.

Police are able to cut a lock or get a locksmith to open your locked box if they have a warrant.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Jaramin posted:

Why cant they just write the update, and only have it pushed to that one phone so the feds can brute force it? iOS updates come out in different regions at different times, so it's not like they don't have a way to isolate phones based on geography/other arbitrary factors.

It's not an issue of getting the software on that one phone. Apple would have to produce a custom version of their OS that is open to intrusion, and they do not believe that it would be possible for them to keep it from getting out into the wild if they did so.

e: Beaten

• Locked thread