Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Drifter posted:

So it seems like the segment about Bill Nye was really showcasing how Bill's not only rather ineffectual in getting his point across to 'the other side' (it's a communication bridge that probably can't be crossed at this time) but how he's actually doing a disservice to the scientific community/crowd at large by willingly allowing himself to be this sort of easily disregardable figurehead of the idea of climate change by the owl deniers.

He may have significantly come back into the limelight as a result, but it feels like it's either for misguided or greed-based purposes.

The Climate Change deniers already exist in some sort of echo chamber of ideological comfort, but being able to have a specific figurehead to rally against seems like it helps to entrench ideas more successfully than having a constant steady exposure and pressure to alternate thoughts. It's harder to talk over a general social realization than a person.

I wouldn't say that. Putting aside the question of how effective he actually is, it's much better that there's a recognizable figure of authority promoting the climate change issue than some random douche spouting the exact same couple talking-points on every network. At the very least, he does actively fight against the idea that there's a dichotomy to the issue and is easily one of the best people to have in that position.

Also, it is monumentally easier to talk over a general social realization than a person, that's why people are so quick to use anecdotal and "personal" stories as proof for their beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Irish Joe posted:

If only the technology to live stream video existed, we'd have definitive proof of aliens police brutality in Ferguson.

Because journalist have only been treated with respect.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
You guys are aware you're trying to explain misogyny to a pedophile, right?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm willing to bet that anyone who actually thinks The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight are good journalists has a fairly limited exposure to news media. They are definitely smart and entertaining, but they are certainly not journalist. Hell, them not being journalist is what makes them so great.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Irish Joe posted:

Haha, goodamn I love that crazy bastard.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that Irish Joe likes someone because they had their fans harass a woman that had nothing to do with something that happened to them.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Freaquency posted:

There's a weird class of free speech advocate that believes that the government shouldn't block any speech because the ~*~Free Market~*~ will self-censor or whatever, but then throw a fit when the free market starts in on something that they like. I'll never get it.

That being said,

These are the same people that whine about people saying group x faces discrimination and then say that straight, white males are the "last acceptable targets" with a straight face. Trying to get them is a fool's errand.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Come on, Joe, you're better at this than that. Try again but this time put in some actual effort.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ravane posted:

Bernie Sanders, Obama, both Clintons, McCain, Rumsfeld, etc were all established politicians before going on the Daily Show. Nobody's going to take them lightly, and they'll easily become more appealing in a more casual environment. Donald Trump was just some rear end in a top hat hosting The Apprentice, someone who's done really nothing but make racist and misogynistic comments and actions his entire career. No democrat takes him seriously already, and if he went on LWT, he'd just be skewered. It makes no sense for him to even consider going on comedy shows of this type, which are typically filled with more liberal viewers.

If he doesn't want to look like a complete fool, avoiding comedy shows is his best option. :shrug:

Funny how arguments actually make sense when they come from someone other than Irish Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I want Peebles to be a real thing so bad.

• Locked thread