Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You would have to be an idiot to be on the receiving end of a polygraph in a criminal investigation as you are volunteering to forgo your lawyer. Even if you are completely innocent and have nothing to hide the police are looking to collar someone especially in high profile cases and one slip of the tongue can get you in a world of hurt.

Getting taken for a ride through prison based on police shittiness is universal and the US excels at it with methods that intended to get people in prisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
May I remind people that coal has released more radiation than every nuclear bomb or incident combined.

I am so sick about people crying about atomz because of the absurd lack of perspective. If people would stop making GBS threads themselves a lot of problems couple be solved. If people cared as much about UV radiation skin cancer deaths would fall off a cliff.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fossil fuel usage would be alot lower if you didn't spaz out and decommissioned the plants so early. It's textbook cutting off the nose to spite the face.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good. gently caress those lying sacks of poo poo.

The fuckers brought in American political hitmen to run their campaign going full negative instead of offering anything. Their voters are not much better arguing in bad faith, racist and revel in ignorance, so American Republicans.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trevor is much, much better when he is off script.

He needs to play the outsider looking in more. He can't follow John as he isn't an insider and he will never be seen as one. Being on the outside is his strenght that none of the others have as it allows him to come at the news from angles other can't. That's why when he goes off script he is so much better as his writers aren't writing for him but to him resulting in the Antifa mess where he acted like a sheltered suburban idiot with no history or idea of oppression and what it takes to fight it right down to worrying about some smashed windows.

I don't know where they have gone but whenever he does an Africa joke its gold. I don't know who writes those but they need a promotion as they need to get out of their head the ideas they are writing for John Stewart and not Trevor Noah.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You have seen the warehouses full of buttcoin crunchers right? Divide your best guess power usage by 5 to get your per transaction cost. Even confined to a single warehouse the using that much power for 5 transactions is awful. Multiply that.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is a near real-time index on bitcoin energy usage. 26.7 houses for 1 day per transaction and only gets worse. Death to this poo poo.

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption

They explain their methodology if that interests you. Even if it is off by a factor of 10 the numbers are still horrifying.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No one knows when it will hit reality but the damage is here and there is no guarantee that anyone would learn anything as they jumping to the next coin to fill the power use gap. You can see it already with other coins ticking up. Even the most power efficient of coins use a stupid amount of power to do the same transaction with established systems. Remember that page measures only Buttcoin.

Even if any coin was remotely as power efficient, never happening as power use is a feature not a bug, there is the massive unsolvable problems of scale(moving to 5 transactions a second was seen as an amazing accomplishment), economic absurdity and legal issues. Every alliteration of a coin just moves the problem laterally.

Much better to ban it and move on. A lot of people are going to lose their shirts and then some, better yesterday than tomorrow.

Secondary problems like driving up the price of silicone for everything and stripping the world's supply of GPUs which hurts scientific research as much as gamers. Right now the GPU premium is anywhere from 50% to 100% of normal retail price.

The sad thing is how so much computing power got wasted instead of doing literally anything else. Blockchain has yet to generate a single legitimate productive use as far as I am aware.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why? It's more polite than "Trump the nazi", "That rear end in a top hat". Are you implying that he is deserving of any respect?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty sure donald has the planet's market on embarrassment cornered so I doubt anybody can get any.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Worse than that, Sinclair contracts the on air personalities with really heinous contracts. If an on air personality quits or is fired with cause before the end of the contract the personality must repay Sinclair 100% of prior bonuses paid out during the current contract and 50% of the salary they were set to receive if they served out the remainder of their contract. These contracts have somehow been upheld in court.

I can't think of any other country off the top of my head that this is legal. It is so outrageous I am not sure if you're telling the truth. Solmaila must have better contracts.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You don't need to file most of the time here in New Zealand as most tax people face is at the point of purchase like GST and PAYE(Pay as you earn). You can file if you wish as this generates a far more accurate tax bill. I never thought to file myself until a couple years ago and got a massive tax refund. They will come after you if you owe them something substantial(More than a couple hundred) file or not and their computers are linked to the banks proper so they will notice.

Like any taxman they won't chase you to give a refund.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NZ does have a "Tax Season" in the very loosest of terms in that it is the end of the financial year. As before the average bloke doesn't have to give a poo poo. It really helps that we don't have "MAH TAXES" in that most people can connect taxes= public services especially through Universal Health Care. If you meet a dumbass you just point to taxes = roads and most will shut up which is something Americans can't seem to do. Progressive tax brackets continue to vex people. But for most part taxes are invisible.

How well spent and how much is always up for debate. We kicked out the right wing government the left is now putting out bush fires and looking for bombs from inheriting a mess of the economy because that's what right wingers do.

The view the rest of the world has about America is that they are already powerful but make things endlessly difficult for themselves for no reason and are mostly red neck level ignorant about solutions to their problems made worse by American Exceptionalism. For me I imagine if you ever get your poo poo together for a few key things it would create a golden age for humanity. It's partially why Obama was so popular as he was clear working towards that and a loving relief from Republicans while it lasted. I personally see Republicans as a treasonous for the damage they do that every single one needs to go to jail or put up to against the wall.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veskit posted:

Borrowing money is raising capital you're making my point.

MAKE MONEY LIKE MAKE IT. you can make it like print it or you can extract it through a tax. Either way they'll make the money one way or another.

Also I'm talking from fed to local municipality not just the fed

I don't think the Feds would take kindly to anybody else printing The Dollar. Also not matter what country or who you are you cannot just print money or borrow forever, reality will ensure. America's love of digging it's own grave isn't funny anymore and the only saving grace is China's economy is another level of horror.

The next thing you're going to advocate for is the return of company scrip.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veskit posted:

While the UK was a true empire they ran a gdp to debt ratio of over 200% and they were a ok from it if not flourishing. Taking it a zero % loan is great
It fell over when the Empire couldn't extract anymore value from their holdings and ran out of money. They had used up all that slack or room to manoeuvre when a crisis came knocking.

Despite what you think the US pays a very substantial amount servicing their debts and the interest rate is not 0%. In real terms to the depositor is negative but the US still has to service which is a real cost especially with social security. Imagine what you could do with $500 billion dollars per year not going to debt servicing. With the infinite war, economic bubbles made worse by the over inflated supply of money and grinding down of your tax base something has to give.

Seriously, just start pushing corporate scrip already, you know you want to.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's another thing Americans find astonishing when its generally quite normal outside of the US. Stop making things hard for yourselves.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43876772

quote:

The calm actions of a police officer who arrested the Toronto van suspect without firing a shot have prompted praise and, in some quarters, astonishment.

Video from the scene shows suspect Alek Minassian pointing an object at the officer and shouting: "Kill me!"

The officer tells the man to "get down" and when the suspect says he has a gun, the officer repeats: "I don't care. Get down."

Videos on social media show Mr Minassian lying down as the officer arrests him.

Many in North America are asking how the suspect did not end up dead in a hail of police gunfire. It contrasts with incidents in the US where police have shot and killed unarmed people.

"Research has shown that Canadian police are reluctant users of deadly force," says Rick Parent, a criminologist at Simon Fraser University in Canada's British Columbia.

"An analysis of police shooting data over many years revealed, that in comparison to their American counterparts, Canadian police officers discharge their firearms far less, per capita that US police. However, like American police officers they take many risks in protecting the public."

One US-based academic told the BBC that the officer would have had a "duty" to kill the suspect, if the object he was pointing was a gun.

Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders told journalists the officer had done a "fantastic job" to understand the "circumstance and environment" and get to a "peaceful resolution".

He said police in the city were "taught to use as little force as possible in any given situation".

Policing in the US is another feedback loop where the harder they try, the more dangerous everything is to everyone.

Holy poo poo this "Professor". More blood for the blood god? It doesn't occur to him that there are far better ways to police than the American style. Good job rationalising a broken system.

quote:

However, Michael Lyman, professor of Criminal Justice Administration at Columbia College of Missouri, told the BBC that the officer may have had a "duty" to kill the suspect.

"Assuming the suspect is holding a gun and pointing it toward officers, it is concerning that the officer is not engaging the suspect with deadly force," he said.

Professor Lyman said that the officer might not have opened fire out of fear of public criticism after the event.

"People died as a result of the suspect's actions. Can we assume that the officer knew this? If so, this changes things a bit in that the level of public threat is higher. Under this circumstance, it would seem that the officer had a 'duty' to respond with deadly force - assuming what he was holding was a firearm," he said.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Outside of the US there is a different expectations, structure, SOP and unified standards as to how police should act. US police routinely and are trained to act out of bounds to that expectation while for us talking a suspect down is the norm. Getting prosecuted for shooting a suspect too many times falls under excessive force and the consequences fall under attempted murder. He was found guilty and with the track and level of trust we have with our justice system most won't nor I question the judgement.

It's seems like a foreign concept that police are accountable for their actions. Too often in the US the officer resigns which for reason allows everyone to wash their hands of the incident. Nor do we have a culture of hero worship. We do show respect but that has been earned and maintained. We fight against front line police being armed and look poorly to the use of tasers. America is the example of how not to police. We have our own problems but absurd escalations into gunfights isn't one.

American expectations and standards is what need adjusting, not ours.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did he get ultra herpes or just mundanely poisoned himself?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CRISPR fires tiny gold beads loaded with DNA at cells to insert code. Being able to alter DNA is revolutionary but it is also pretty random.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We already select out detectable crippling flaws. Gene modification door is open. It is a question of how far down the hall we go as get get better at it and how we will deal with the inevitable blowback.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it's like he said in the interview at the end, a lot of people asking "where's the line?" are asking it in the sense of "tell me exactly how far I can go before I get in trouble". Like it's never about having basic human empathy or anything, it's always about "how will this affect ME?"

Most people don't have perfect empathy and stuff missing seemingly (to you) basic cues.

I really don't like where this is all going as it is turning human interactions into a liability. You can't offend anybody ever in a world where everyone gets offended all the drat time by random poo poo. People are asking where the line is because there is no line, it's a smudge of dirt on a dirt road outside of the really obvious ditch. It's creating a climate of fear and distrust, not the foundation you want to build equal rights or anything else on.

When #metoo first happened this came out and I am sure it's going to get you all twisted up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42630108

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The retribution culture is so strong even progressives have to bend or else they are soft on crime, a political death sentence. The problem extends well beyond the prison system, John could run several concurrent shows on the justice system.

Like most problems in America everyone else on the outside can see it clear as day with plenty of solutions on offer but America won't have none of it for one ridiculous reason or another. Whatever you imagine the excuse is, no matter how stupid, reality will call your bet and double down. But the public don't know or don't care as they get played for :capitalism:.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys shouldn't look at China right now if you despise what is happening in the US....

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xealot posted:

But you're right. [Thing] is worse. I guess this deeply racist administration isn't a problem anymore.

Oh ffs, thanks for taking the wrong sentiment out of the statement.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

So many of the easy jokes about Trump are a trap that seemingly defangs him in the eyes of the public and distract from the fascism and pillaging of the entire country as a whole. Some More News did a piece on how ol' turtle-face doesn't just look like he's ready to retreat into a shell, he's one of the most corrupt and reprehensible and hated (by his own constituents) members of the Senate. Every easy joke becomes a deflection from how much of a real shitbag these people are. LWT has some of the best research, but so often the jokes are just some lazy flab that detracts from the whole.

Oh, that's where one of the Cracked people went. Good Stuff. You could tell he could go on for days if it wasn't for the fact he would run out of jokes first or have a stroke.

:votegop:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

The main calling cards of liberals are:

- No strong political ideology
- Happy with things being the way they are
- Believes in a need for 'sensible politics'
- Thinks that personality is more important policy
- Argues that the truth is in the middle
- Allows hate speech to flourish on the ~*marketplace of ideas*~
- Thinks the tone of the argument is more important than the content of the argument
- Doesn't approve of civili disobedience as a political tool
- Cannot draw a distinction between the left and the right
- Often self-defines as a centrist

And yes, they do enable fascists and you can see it happening across the world right now

Literally DnD.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Devil posted:

I don't quite understand not wanting to discuss the politics of a political comedy show. Or being shocked that others do.

That isn't what is happening.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Devil posted:

In the case of the US, no there really isn't. Just like the government shouldn't be run like a corporation, it shouldn't be run like a loving household either.

Clinton should've been using that money to help poor people.

Government surplus and deficits are one of the key ways change the economy. Running perpetual deficits for no reason like the US does damage the long run as the very real interest payments eat into your revenue, it also reduces resilience when a crisis hits. The US pays a couple 100 Billion in interest per year, money that doesn't help provide any services.

When people talk about government ROI it isn't really about how much in turn it would grow it's revenue or making a profit like a corporation. It's about making each dollar more effective at providing services and economic growth. Straight up giving money to poor people is more economically stimulating than say the F35 which is negative not just because of the money wasted bombing people but also a lot of the money just get siphoned off not getting spent so that dollar isn't going around being productive. Universal health care means healthier people makes a more productive economy along with massive savings by removing the profit motive.

You can have a surplus and help poor people if your tax structure is right which the US isn't remotely close to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The mentality and purpose of the government budget doesn't translate into household budgeting but it doesn't mean you don't have to balance the books. Insolvent=no government. There are economies like Japan that have so much debt it has stagnated.

That said the spending goals are almost completely inverted as spending isn't there to help the government(Defence, institutions etc being exceptions) but to provide services without user payer market rates like a corporate entity. Then there is the fact it's everybody's money and not, encouraging flippant spending and taking(Rich tax cuts) as the politicians frequently take no responsibility. Also the ability to manipulate the economy.

So no, it isn't a household budget but people think as such because the surplus/deficit is the only thing they consider and can relate to day to day. :votegop: also lol the taxation = theft crowd.

• Locked thread