Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

I mean, he's probably also not going to step on any toes acting that way, although he's not doing himself any favors either unless tptb really really want automatons, which who knows?

Correct on the first part of that sentence. But on the latter part, I must object. In my experience, the powers that be tend to appreciate a guy who, while seeming a little stand-off-ish, gets all of his work done (and excels at it), never bothers his coworkers, and leaves his personal life at home whenever possible. If that makes me an automaton, then... beep boop.

IRQ posted:

I wonder if we shouldn't be adding this to the long list of basic-rear end life skills everyone needs that public schools really ought to be teaching, like personal finance and cooking etc. I know "keep your hands to yourself" was covered in kindergarten but apparently the lesson didn't stick for a lot of people. e: and of course there's more to it

It's the "more to it" that, to me, is the issue for a lot of people. You don't have to be Harvey Weinstein to create a hostile work environment. Some people just don't get where the lines are. There's nothing malicious about it--they just don't get it. If nobody ever tells them that they're going too far (and nobody is obligated to do that), then there's a good chance that they will only learn the hard way. I really don't know what the perfect answer is. I do know that simplistic answers like "keep your hands to yourself" won't fix the problem, though. I mean, you can take "keep your hands to yourself" to the ultimate conclusion, forbidding physical contact of any kind (even shaking hands). But what about inappropriate comments or jokes? Forbid people from talking to each other except as required for the work to get done? OK, fine, but that's kind-of how I act at work, and I'm getting flak for it now.

Companies need to do more than show a video on day two of training, and the videos they show need to be less stupid and focus on more subtle behaviors that people might not know are causing discomfort in other people. Stamping out sexual harassment in the workplace needs to be seen as an issue of maintenance; talking about it one time and never bringing it up again isn't working. I think that some people forget about those training materials, and they eventually just get too comfortable at work. "Oh, she doesn't mind these jokes or comments about her looks; she knows I'm not hitting on her and that I'm just kidding around." Meanwhile, she's thinking, "Jesus gently caress, I don't even want to work on this floor anymore, this rear end in a top hat just won't loving stop!"

Maybe that's a good idea? You know, having the companies talk about it with employees more than once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

It wasn't meant to be an attack. My boss would love if I was a robot.

You know like for instance doing work instead of posting?

Ha.

One of the joys of working at home is that if things are slow, like they are today, I can Internet all I want on my non-work connection, as long as I don't just get up and play hooky all day.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I got the feeling that whoever that incumbent DA was, the main reason he didn't prosecute all those types of crimes was because it was some rural parish in Louisiana where you just don't get many, if any, crimes like that reported. That's the one thing I miss about growing up in Greene County, Illinois: the whole time I lived there, nobody ever got robbed, carjacked, raped, or murdered. (At least, no rapes were reported; we all know how that works, though.) So, yeah, whoever the DA was back then? He didn't prosecute any of those claims, either.

It was all minor assault, petty theft, traffic violations, maybe a child molester, and at least one horse fucker.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some shark researcher had an ask tell years ago and apparently they're very bright for fish actually.

Alhazred posted:

That's not saying much.

Do you think sharks swam around, thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ugh, I love the show but this topic's so disheartening

My dad and I got in an argument about this subject back when I was a very young man, maybe before I was 18. I don't know what started it, but somehow the subject got to felonies. He said that when you get a felony, you can't vote anymore, even after you've paid your debt to society (jail, probation, parole, restitution, whatever). Now, I wasn't a lawyer or anything, and I'd never once even thought about this issue, but dammit, I fought about it. And I won! Because in Illinois, this isn't a problem. He never admitted he was wrong, but then again, he never did.

Many years later, maybe after he died, I found out about this law that exists in some states. Maybe it was one of the Virginias? It came up in the last few years as something that was very nearly overturned, then wasn't. But this system in Florida is just off-the-wall bonkers. It's like the review exists just so they can drop in and feel superior to people who got caught doing something they ought not to have got caught doing. It's like one of the cutaway gags they do on Family Guy, except it's a real thing that exists.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If I’m remembering correctly, Scott sent all the testing to the firm he used to work at and contributed massively to his campaign. And they still ended the program after it was leaked that it was costing the state about 200k a month and less than 2% pissed hot.

Yeah, the program ended up saving Florida negative dollars.

At least one other state has tried to "fix" this policy by forcing the people getting tested to pay for the test. Maybe it was Arizona? I never read how that ended up working out.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Little disappointed by the stealth repeat this week.

I saw that it said "Repeat" on my DVR's guide, but I recorded it anyway, just in case. It's been marking new premieres of The Venture Bros. as repeats for the better part of the season for some reason, so I never really know. The show started with new content, but then it was just a framing device to set up the repeat. So, my DVR guide was right after all.

At least they had a bit of fun with it. I was hoping for a new episode, though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Gee Oh Pee already has a kind of unpleasant sound to it. I've heard 'republicunts' too, but since there's only like six women left in the party it falls a little flat.

More often, I just hear people using the phrase "The Democrat Party" disparaging which isn't so much disparaging as just kind of vaguely annoying and halting sound.

The most common pejorative I hear for Democrats is "Dems" at the higher end of the etiquette scale (I can't remember the last time I saw "Dems" used in anything but a negative comment about the party or its supporters), and "libtards" at the... uh, not-so-high end of the etiquette scale.

I have to say, though, watching that irritating woman say "demon rats" with not only a straight face, but with clearly genuine malice in her voice, is a just a little bit hilarious. It's like when a 3-year-old gets super-mad at you, rears back to deliver the sickest burn he can, and then calls you a poopface.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

Who could blame you, what with all that land that no white man has ever seen and all, I'm surprised anyone knows about Brazil!

Map nerd and geography geek here.

I've known about this since I was a little kid. But it was surprising back then, because most world maps in books were still in the Mercator or Miller cylindrical projection. So, the USSR was absurdly huge at the top of the map; Canada was merely ridiculously huge; China was a big, single-colored blob, so that was easy to grasp as #3; the USA was #4 which wasn't hard to believe with Alaska lording over North America... and then there's Brazil, which wasn't even as big as Canada's Ellesmere Island.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It's just what happens once media technology can disseminate messages across the whole world at once

The Internet makes idiots, and idiocy in general, powerful.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Parachuting: the "Rusty Venture" of the John Oliver thread.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

There were a number of terms that were used to be more proper, and most of them were also discarded. I'm not sure why, or what baggage they carry. "African American" came around and was put into all the official places, but at that point people were also comfortable enough to just say black. "African American" also doesn't work for people who aren't american, so it's fairly limited.

There are also a bunch of terms that were abandoned because of the popular understanding of race shifted. Nobody cares about the distinction of an "octaroon" anymore, which is probably for the best.

Funny you bring up "octaroon," because I'm pretty sure "quadroon" is used multiple times in Archer. Archer believes Lana to be a quadroon in the early episodes. In one of the last non-dream seasons, we see that her dad appears to be black (and not half-black). When their child is born, Pam does call her a quadroon. (Also, Lana is repeatedly referred to as a "negress" throughout the series, but almost always by characters for whom English isn't their first language.)

I'm pretty sure using Archer to determine whether or not something is racist isn't really a good idea, but I never expected to see the word "octaroon" used in any context in TV IV outside of an Archer thread.

"I don't mean to sound racist—"
"But your'e gonna power through it!"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
This episode had the most epic deadpan deliveries of "cool" ever.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

Yeah, back in the days of The Mattering. In this new world, where Ajit Pai puts on his best fake smile and holds his oversized novelty Reese’s mug while flagrantly ignoring the public, well,

Remember when someone was altering his picture a little every day to make his toothy grin better?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

I just wanted to talk about Russel Crowe.

I hear he loves making movies, making music, and fighting 'round the world.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

I spend my days catching big air and getting totally tubular, dude

Totally awesomely radical, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

This is a political show I don't understand how you want people to talk about it without talking about politics.

Sometimes he makes fun of other things.

But yeah, it's hard to discuss a show that contains mostly political content without discussing the politics discussed on the show. Honestly, if discussing politics on this board is such a big no-no, maybe this thread should be moved to a board where political stuff is discussed. And the Bill Maher thread, too.

• Locked thread