Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Dreylad posted:

It wont be a true successor to the Bugle until John manages to introduce a news story by quoting song lyrics.

Only if it's incorrectly attributed to a different artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I'm just not finding the same caché with:

Last Week Tonight: A Visual Newspaper for a Visual World!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

"Sure we can make jokes about Indian massacres in our first week. They're brown and far away. But the American death penalty? Woah, too dark!"

Unfortunately this is the unironic reality.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

The one with Sheldon, Normal Heart, based on a play. I saw the play and it was rather good, very sad and heartwarming, but mostly sad.

Assuming it's basically just the play, then yeah it's kind of a downer :smith:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Tornhelm posted:

There's a reason the Ausgoon thread mostly involves us drinking ourselves into oblivion. It's the only way to dull the pain. That package was just the tip of the Abbott idiocy - if John Oliver had waited a week, he could have added how Tony Abbott just linked D-Day with repealing the carbon tax.

This is dangerously close to Godwin-ing his argument.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

brown people were somehow stealing their beaches.

This is the most Australian thing.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

PassTheRemote posted:

It is an amazing word, yes. I cannot take credit for it though. The Bugle created it, and has used it for Bin Laden and Gaddafi, but not for Thatcher to my surprise.

Wasn't she the one where they said giving her a fuckeulogy was more validation than she deserves?

Edit: Just remembered that that was Fred Phelps. What a fucker.

Edit2: Beaten

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 9, 2014

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I learned to play the recorder, though.

Then where did you go wrong after that?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
It's actually kind of funny how some people in the US think they have a monopoly on anti-immigrant racism. It's like they've never heard someone with an accent bitch about "pakis", or Poles running car washes, or gypsies being the source of all crime ever.

There's just a whole world of racism most people haven't experienced.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Ape Agitator posted:

a pun run is a force of nature that answers to no man.

NO MAN!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Dreylad posted:

They balance each other. Andy's bullshit is tempered by John's refusal to engage with it, and John occasional anxiety is indignation is countered by Andy's, well, bullshit.

This is a pretty succinct way of putting it. Andy's pun runs are great, if you have John/Chris groaning along with you. The episodes leading up to Last Week Tonight's first episode had some great segments of John anxiously having no idea how to deal with stress/his face on the side of busses, and Andy was there to joke/bullshit right through it.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Imagine if Bill Maher's popularity nose-dives and John Oliver gets to take his spot. They could throw a televised version of The Bugle in there!

Man, as someone who just saw some Bill Maher for the first time in a while, I hope this is true. Real Time feels like a handjob I'm not sure I want.

Edit: and he just said "and apparently I'm a bad man because I said I don't like Muslims ", soon followed by "my friend Christopher Hitchens' opinion on Muslims was..."

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 20, 2014

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

Isn't that the "Eat the popo" Guy?

Yeah, same guy. Honestly I'm happy he didn't show that particular segment. I've run into people who thought it was funny until they got context. I mean obviously it would have been framed better here, but it's kind of a sore spot for me.

Also Pepe Julian is the loving best.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Kevyn posted:

quote:

"I'm calling out John Oliver as a liar and a fraud who couldn't go ten minutes with me in an unscripted, unedited debate,"

The Bugle would certainly show otherwise.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

rapeface posted:

...how does Israel transcend party politics anyway :confused:

There's basically no politician in the US that is gonna touch Israel. It's a huge political quagmire of lobbying and misappropriated religious feelings. If you voice an opinion even mildly anti-Israel, you end up disappeared from the conversation like Helen Thomas.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Part of me suspects he actually just read them.

Maybe he's studying up for a piece on how 50 Shades of Grey is the world's most profitable plagiarized fanfic.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Brock Samson posted:

So disappointed he didn't bring up

Dat fine print!

Didn't he? I swear I remember him mentioning somebody were reincorporating on a reservation to avoid regulation.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

Holy poo poo England. I kind of wish American politics was like that. Some loss of civility in congress might help get some poo poo done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qu7s-Wox0M

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Nice!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Ham Rove (RIP)

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
The Fanta ad was pretty rough, but bringing back whacky stick!!! pulled me back in.

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 9, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
The absolute worst part of that African-American studies course is that UNC was initially built by actual, loving slaves. Like there's literally a monument in one of the quads to the slaves that built the buildings that surround it.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Snark posted:

Yeah all those bills sponsored by 4th graders are gumming up the works. PICK A SIDE JOHN

They wasted more time sperging and grandstanding over the necessity of it than just pushing it through.

I don't really get how this is contrary to his opinion last year. I mean, yeah, it's kinda a dumb bill by literal children, but the real story is that they spent hours grandstanding over it at the expense of other work.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Mo0 posted:

Michael Bolton Slow Jams the News better become a regular thing.

His voice will always make me melt :allears:

My initial reaction was "what the hell is this musical guest thing?". Instead of just aping the Right Said Fred segment from last season, you have loving Michael Bolton slow jamming about making anuses bleed. So good.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

And whoever in Florida came up with that formula for how your students should do is a lovely statistician. If something has a maximum value you should cap everything at that.

The fact that you had a probable-honors-student crying into a kindle over not being allowed to take a hard enough class should probably be enough to tell you you've gone astray?

axeil posted:

The College Board gets a lot of poo poo for the SAT and AP exams but I think it's way better than most of these state level standardized tests we see. Why didn't we use the AP exam as our template for these things? I thought those were pretty decent as far as standardized tests went. Generous time limits and done at a fairly relaxed pace and they never felt unfair.

AP tests are exactly the same thing, but on a smaller scale. I had high school teachers who had graded AP Tests before, and the history/literature exams were basically described as speed-reading for keywords and determining if the student "coherently" name dropped enough in an "essay".

It's a system I'd consider vaguely acceptable for high-achieving people trying to skip college classes, but not for every single student.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

The hare is a moron that let himself get trolled into a pointless race with an inanimate object.

The pineapple is Irish Joe, and the animals are everyone else assuming he's arguing in good faith.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Salt Lake City made money, if that's a metric to go by. I believe a bunch of their facilities are used for training a lot by the US teams still.

Thanks Mitt Romney (Not really)?

SLC generally did a pretty good job with facilities. For example they built some of the the ski jumps a something like a decade in advance and were already using them for training, and the opening/closing ceremony venue and the Olympic Village were upgraded replacements for University of Utah facilities that already had uses (football stadium/dorms).

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Dead Precedents posted:

John Oliver is one humble bastard and I love him for it.

John's physical incapability to accept praise never ceases to be funny:

Gayle: "Don't minimize what you did"

John Oliver:"I got on a plane for 10 hours...go me!"

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

Can you imagine the hootenanny it would cause every time the US wins at a sporting event when this starts playing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqhcGL9hbeA

Spectators would be a dancin in the stands.

So I'm remembering singing an alternate version that went "run away! run away! run away! dixie lads!" back in Boy Scouts in North Carolina. Retrospectively, I'm sure we infuriated someone.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I've always assumed the show gets edited/delivered pretty close to the wire, and the process of transcoding it into a billion bitrates, then checking those transcodes for errors, then sending them to CDNs...etc just takes too long.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
"Sex is like boxing: if both people didn't fully agree to participate, one of them is committing a crime." is such a fantastic quote. Consent is an infuriatingly unappreciated concept and anything to push people toward understanding is great.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

I think the point more is that yes, you can technically get pregnant from anal/oral depending on how aggressive your post-sex hygiene is , but bringing it up even as a stat point puts undue weight on the likeliness of it happening

like sure, you can technically get pregnant even if you use condoms correctly and responsibly, at the correct time to prevent pre-ejaculate from leaking - it's "only" 99.7% effective with all those precautions in place. Is it likely? No, but even stating that during sexual education courses makes it imply that condoms are, as opposed to being a literal free pass for consequence-free sexual intercourse when used correctly like they actually are, a faulty and irresponsible choice prone to failure just as often as success

we had an abstinence only sex ed douchebag teach p much exactly that, the dude went on and on about how the trucks that they carry condoms to drugstores aren't refrigerated correctly and that "real" failure rates of condoms are as high as 25%- that means if you have sex four times, even with condoms, you're BOUND to get pregnant!

My theology teacher (Catholic school) freshman year of high school decided our particular section needed a sex ed segment. Included was a vice-principal's wife doing a demonstration where she pulled in a trash barrel from the hallway, "this is a pore in a typical condom", and a basketball, "this is a to-scale size of an HIV virus", THUNK. The moral: don't bother with condoms, kids.

Also included was a section where we passed around models of fetuses at different stages of development and as little discussion of actual sex as possible. The teacher also only ever taught that one year, because she went to convent after breaking up with the quadriplegic junior-level theology teacher.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
"My sex education for what being 11 or 12 will be like when I was 10" is more like it, but I'm really trying to avoid arguing against Irish Joe.

5h grade for me included a day where the girls disappeared for a day and came back having learned about "the p-word".

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i also remember watching some weird as gently caress health video in school from the 70s where a young boy wanders around a zoo and looks at animal dicks until he asks a janitor about why dudes have different size schlongs

Ah, yes, Am I Normal.

BigRed0427 posted:

That is if the damage to your colon didn't kill you first. :stare:

Fisting can go pretty far up the forearm sometimes. Schizotek's teacher was just into some decent kink.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Gonna put a check in the male asap. Gonna plant my seed deep inside The Lord.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

I realized that last friday and next sunday, John Oliver tells me to TOUCH THE SCREEN. Definitively a miracle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA21kAovan0

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

I really wish it could have been John's real wife. She seems cool. Fake wife didn't really feel right.

I don't know if he'd be comfortable having his actual wife beg viewers to plant their seeds deep inside.

Also:

Soylentbits posted:

John's real wife is so much hotter than John that nobody would have found it believable that they got married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Take my seed, you rat faced bastard

• Locked thread