Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Thanks to John Oliver, now, every time I see Mitch McConnell, I will no longer see Yurtle the Turtle, I will now see an elderly man's age-shrunken penis. And sadly, I can't think of a more appropriate visual metaphor for the man. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

I was kind of sad that John missed out on Colbert's slot at first, but now I'm glad he took this opportunity.

I know what you mean. While Oliver's show is just different enough, back to back with The Daily Show would be too similar. At least from what we've seen so far. But after those political ads, I can't wait to see what else they pull if this is only week 3. Give the show another month or two and I think it will really find it's voice / niche.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Holy poo poo Right Said Fred

:magical:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh, THAT'S what Money Mutual is.

Before Sarah Silverman showed up I was hoping that Oliver would have gotten Maury Povich or Sally Jesse Raphael for that bit.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31424159

:lol: Apparently that Ecuadorian clown is some national childhood hero or something.

In a few years we'll probably learn that Tiko Tiko has a small mountain of children's bones in his garage or something.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Mexico is another country where cigarette boxes have disgusting poo poo plastered all over them, so I wonder if they're getting sued as well.

No, because Philip Morris is secretly investing with the drug lords, which is much more profitable.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Or maybe people who work for a living have a sense of personal responsibility and, as a consequence, don't feel bad for people who break the law.

As the saying goes: Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

The segment was basically about people who have been punished punitively for moving violations and other minor offenses. It's just a shame that there isn't any punitive punishment for being a lovely poster.

geeves fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 24, 2015

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

Your bank allows you to have something as simple as a password? :stare:

My bank lets me login with BankID or a with a decryption device which there quite frankly is no english name for.

Is your bank in the US? Most banks here seem to have lax security and think adding a two-factor photo instead of actual 2-factor authentication is a good idea.

Say what you will about XKCD Entropy (which is a great idea) but some banks and online vendors (Verizon) don't even allow special characters.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

DoggPickle posted:

Because it's a life choice that you should save up for and plan.It's not a freak accident or a death of another person that you have no control over. A lot of couples buy houses too. Should you get extra pay or leave in order to do that? My dad died while I was at work. I took a half-day off. I already had my own house and if I didn't work, it wasn't getting paid for. My mom died on Christmas, so lucky me, I didn't need to take off work for that one. I did have to sell my car to pay for the funeral expenses and the two extra houses and two extra cars that I suddenly owned 5 days before all the mortgages/payments were due.

Your parents would probably still be alive if it wasn't for you. They clearly should have been less selfish.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Gyges posted:

For a plant example, all of the Southeastern US is just Kudzu now.

I'm sorry I'm sorry! That was just a mean prank gone wrong!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it when Oliver spends an episode completely destroying reddit.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

You've got to admire South Carolina's sheer dedication to assholery. They knew that their flag was dumb and offensive, so they doubled down by requiring any changes to it to have two thirds of the state legislature behind it, and then affixing it to the pole so you'd need a ladder to even try doing anything to it.

In the wake of VA's governor calling for the removal of the confederate license plates, I'm waiting for my high school to change its name and mascot. its long overdue. My redneck classmates would call African American students "Canadians" as a code word.

Lee-Davis High School Confederates.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Yinlock posted:

holy poo poo

I need to see this through to the end: What's the mascot? The Lee-Davis Racist?

It's literally a confederate soldier.

The irony is sometime after I graduated, they lost the head from the costume and had to replace it. It's the head from an Ulysses S. Grant costume :v:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Veskit posted:

The SAME day???? :psyduck:

bobkatt013 posted:

Its on or around January 19th so yeah it will either be the day of or really near.
Yes, it's officially called "Lee / Jackson / King Day". :magical:

I thought this had been changed a few years ago. I would not be surprised if it failed to pass.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

It's weird watching from outside the US because the response to a team saying 'build us a stadium or we'll move' would be utter laughter.

Spurs are building a stadium in the middle of London and have to finance, develop, commit arson, and build it themselves. Which is why the London franchise of the NFL will probably play there as well.

There's actually precedent of owners living up to those promises to move, especially in the NFL most notably with the Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis who "packed up overnight" (though it was actually a decade in the making) and ~12 years later in 1996(?), the Cleveland Browns leaving town to become the Baltimore Ravens after Cleveland refused to negotiate to Art Modell's wishes. This move was notable because Baltimore essentially became an expansion team and all the Brown's records, etc. remain in Cleveland and they returned several years later in 1999

The Oakland Raiders moved from Oakland to LA in 1982 then back to Oakland in 1995. The LA Rams (in LA for 50 years) moved to St Louis in 1995 and now there is interest in having them move back to LA. (I'm less familiar with the Rams' and Raiders' stories - though with the Raiders you can probably just say "Al Davis" and that would be an accepted answer.)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Replace Nixon's hair with a Trump wig, but don't comment about it at all.

No, I think have 4 Nixons in total to equal Trump

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Samopsa posted:

The same with firearm in the US: the NRA actually opposed assault rifles and other guns that are overkill for hunting before a radical libertarian group took over in 1977, which helped create the current (quite insane) gun culture.

Really want a video with Wayne LaPierre's head in place of the Joker's in Suicide Squad when he says to Harley Quinn, "I need a machine gun."

Maybe it's about time I learn After Effects.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

So far as I know, the reason they want Kavanagh specifically is because he's a loving stooge and he was a stooge for the W administration, and the potential abortion ban is just the literal only selling point they've managed to come up with for getting a man with no principals or abilities beyond party loyalty on the bench.

It's not just Roe v Wade, there is also a case that could limit State and Federal charges for criminal charges. Which is something else that Trump is probably very interested in.

So if Trump is charged by Mueller, then State charges in NY couldn't be filed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SickZip posted:

Kavanaugh almost certainly wasn't lying about Devil's Triangle being a drinking game. This is a derail but this is such an easily researched thing that it grates on me that its going to be treated as ridiculous for all time.

Kavanaugh Yearbook Scan:
https://archive.org/details/cupola-1983/page/n24

News mentioned Kavanaugh and Judge having "Devil's Triangle" in the yearbook entry but there was a bunch of other people who had it too.
-There's 9 different people who mention it in their entry in a class of a bit over a hundred. Almost 10% of a class bragging about engaging in MMF threesomes in their yearbook entry strains credibility.
-On page 203, there's another student who has "Devil's Triangle Founder Of The Name" in their entry. I can't think of anyway to square this with everyone's insistence that Devil's Triangle was a sex act, much less a commonly understood term for one
-On page 160, someone says they were "Lost In Devil's Triangle". Perfect sense as a drinking game, not so much in the MMF threesome sense.
-There's other references that are more ambiguous but all of them make more sense as a drinking game then a sex act imo. ("**** Devil's Triangle" on page 223. "Devil's Triangle (Participant)" on page 226)

The Avenatti claim about "FFFFFourth of July" being an acronym (Find Them, Feel Them, French Them, gently caress Them, and Forget Them) is obviously wrong as well. After 5 minutes of looking at the yearbook, there's no way anybody could honestly believe it. There's an absolute ton of "FFFFFFFFF" references and no one seems to care at all about the number of F's used. It goes from 4 to 10+, which doesn't make sense if it's acronym but does match it being an onomatopoeia as Kavanaugh claimed in his testimony.

Have you seen Eyes Wide Shut?

"Who do you think those people were? Those were not just some ordinary people. If I told you their names... no, I'm not going to tell you their names... but if I did, I don't think you'd sleep so well at night."

• Locked thread