Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Unfortunately, I agree that it wouldn't work in the States, which is a drat shame. Our constitution mandates a free press because our government is basically set up to gently caress with whatever it can sink its grubby paws into. US State reporting would make us look more like China and North Korea than anybody is comfortable with.

Guess why :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I liked growing up with kids' shows on PBS, and Nova can be pretty good sometimes, but that's about all I can think of that's of value other than operas and British imports.

NPR is good for some things; it really depends on the local affiliate. My local daytime news-talk show host is pretty dang good and a bit of a local establishment, and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Car Talk, and Radiolab are all great, but the BBC/CBC, they are not.

Unless It's midnight (8AM GMT), in which case it literally is BBC World News.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
KPCC

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I tried watching an episode of Full Frontal and I just really couldn't get behind her politics, nor the way she presented them. If it had made me giggle that would have been one thing, but I found her tone and jokes just...unfunny.

She was pretty drat okay on TDS though. It's a shame. I'm glad she has a show for the sake of it, I just wish it were better.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rexides posted:

Wait, it's not? Why is it not a holiday (or Sunday/Saturday)? What kind of argument could anyone possibly have against this?

Because it's written into the Constitution. Amendments require the vote of 2/3 of each of the legislatures to go through, and I believe the president has to sign off on it to boot. I may have fudged the details (mobile, been a while since high school civics), but the point is amending the Constitution is ludicrously difficult. For something like this, it's a non-starter since the current system got all those people into power in the first place.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Azhais posted:

Most of the southern poor states (and some of the others too) only have "Excuse required" absentee voting, so "I don't want to go down the street to vote" and "I have to work" aren't valid reasons to mail in a vote, it's more like "I'll be in Vietnam in November"

This kind of breaks my heart. I get absentee materials in the mail whether or not I asked for them.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Alan_Shore posted:

The first documentary ever made, Nanook of the North, wasn't even impartial and truthful.

Quoting for Documentary Now!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

CrashCat posted:

It's a funny show I enjoyed watching this year

Anyone want to recommend their favorites for the dry spell?

I binged Nathan for You recently after I was too lazy to override Hulu's autoplay and was pleasantly surprised. I remember when Dumb Starbucks happened and didn't realize that this show was responsible for it (it takes up an entire episode). In general it's an incompetent business major with social anxiety giving struggling small businesses horrible ideas and strategies and watching them fail.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Even Bill Maher said of Hillary versus Bernie, if you can't have the fish, take the chicken and shut your pie hole.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Right. There won't be a Lib Dem PM anytime soon, but forming coalition's for minority-led governments can be really effective.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

joepinetree posted:

2010 was the first time a coalition government was formed during peace time in over 150 years. Whatever you want to say about UK politics, the extremely rare formation of coalition governments is not the reason why the left is further to the left in the UK when compared to the US.

Fair enough, I guess I was talking more from the :canada: perspective where coalition governments are significantly more common, and they're common enough elsewhere as well. In states with 10+ viable parties, majority governments just don't really happen.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
.... Well now I just look stupid. Thanks for schooling me :downs:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Echo Chamber posted:

(ignores everything above)

So anyways, John Oliver brought up Samsung's past problems, and didn't even mention its mess with South Korea's president.

Might be waiting the week for her to actually get arrested. That'll be the coup du grace of that shitshow of a story.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
HBO Now is finally a thing, and lots of people who hate cable are perfectly happy to pay for HBO. It's the brand and the library. I have no idea what the movie library looks like, but between Sopranos, Sex and the City, and The Wire, I see a ton of people happy to drop :10bux: to spend a month on any one of those shows and, say, wondering what's up with this Game of Thrones Westworld Veep business.

I love that they do have Maher and Oliver, and saying that they carry the weak original content just says everything about the rest of the slate (but gently caress Girls anyway).

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I see Ray around in my neighborhood all the time. I don't need to suffer Lena Dunham's piss poor writing for it, but I accept both your point and my personal privilege.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Baronash posted:

Actually, it is possible to ignore completely. All you have to do is not bring it up and boom, it's ignored. Yeah, Trump jokes write themselves and John's not going to lose any viewers dunking on him, but don't pretend that he's hamstrung by the news or anything. It's a comedy show, it can cover whatever it wants.

But then we get into the circle jerk of an argument over whether or not ignoring it is normalizing it. I'm cool with how John Oliver handles it, and the now-routine "ain't nobody got time for that" on Daily Show is on point.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

WampaLord posted:

I'm not going "DNC rigged it!" but they definitely had a preferred candidate and did everything they could to ensure she won.

And why not, exactly? They weren't making dead people vote for Hillary in California or anything, but the email leak certainly did a lot to clarify the situation. They rigged it to the extent they possibly could, and gleefully.

oohhboy posted:

Gee, not voting D made things better.

I hope you enjoyed your first time being glib on the internet.

The democrats are horrible because they rely on ascertained voting populations, notably minorities and young people. It gives them license to be just ever so slightly less lovely than the other guys, because they have those votes, so why bother taking a progressive, potentially risky position?

Oh, no reason?

They need to learn very, very quickly that they cannot rely on our votes with the stupid poo poo they pull. Internal DNC politics in the Trump era reminds me of post-9/11 Bush. For no good reason of his/their doing, he/they found themselves in a position of unanimity and goodwill. As pissed as we were about the 2000 election, we were willing to get behind our president in a scary, confusing time. He hosed us, and he hosed the world. And as pissed as we (the hard, hard left) were about how 2016 went, we were willing to give the democrats the time of day once more to do some housekeeping and recalibrate the party into a moral and productive force to be reckoned with.

The Dems have shat all over that idea, so to whatever minimal extent I can, I will be very forceful in reminding them that they have not earned my vote, marginally less-bad though they may be. They have an incredible moral prerogative at the moment, and they seen almost gleeful in squandering it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
All this Reagan talk is reminding me of the smug look on Hillary's face the first time she said "Trumped-up trickle-down economics" during a debate.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Hillary wouldn't have been terribly far off from Reagan? Her administration would have been infinitely better than the Trump Shitshow, but I don't think Hillary Clinton is the glorious revolutionary that would undo the damage done by Reagan decoupling wage growth from GDP.

Yeah, basically. After her post-Secretary of State victory tour across Wall Street, there's no reason to think she'd have any incentive to stop that ball rolling. Quite the opposite.

I guess at least she wouldn't have re-imposed Don't Ask Don't Tell (one off the list for Trump), nor would she have funded the DARE program, nor would she have been caught getting her dick sucked in the Oval Office, so maybe her administration would have looked okay next to her husband's. Who knows. But she would have been very kind to rich people job creators.

Anyway, this was a good episode. I usually watch out of curiosity and get a mild chuckle or two, but I lost it at the interstitial with "suck his own cock" and some of the Alex Jones stuff. I actually know somebody who buys that poo poo hook line and sinker (literally, the male vitality and brain power or whatever it was) so it was extremely cathartic.

Agreed that a few rich people might buy the wipes. For DWB, I'd consider it if I had the gently caress-you money to justify it. But people who don't require charitable donations to be tax-deductible tend not to wind up with gently caress-you money.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 31, 2017

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Orange Devil posted:

I'm just saying, actually inflicted evil has got to count for more than evil that will potentially be inflicted.

As it stands right now, on July 31st 2017, Bush is a worse human being than Trump.

I think the only argument you could make where Trump might be worse than Bush, so far, in terms of actual suffering caused, would be on climate. But then if we look at Bush' climate policies, it's not exactly a night and day situation.

None of this is to defend Trump. And I would be the least surprised if Trump were given the kind of power Bush had for 8 years, he'd be able to inflict more suffering, but until he's actually done so, Bush is worse.

In conclusion, gently caress Bush and I'm glad Reagan dead.

I agree with all of this, but to be fair to Dubya (why would I do this) An Inconvenient Truth hit the mainstream in 2006 and until then many people could be forgiven for not-quite-buying the gravity of the situation we're facing. As a kid in elementary school in the early-mid 90's, Global Warming was a potentially alarming theory with several contributing factors to point to, but the opposition could just as easily say "we have no idea why there's a hole in our O-zone layer and it's loving absurd that cow dung has anything to do with it. Also, rainforests give us our medicines"

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I thought all you had to do was focus on clenching and unclenching your anus and you can beat a polygraph. The internet said it so it must be true.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's something inherently silly about most horrifying authoritarian dictatorships when you're looking at things other than the horrible oppression and mass deaths. Maybe it's just the stark contrast that really highlights it all, or the fact that absolutely nobody will countermand their glorious leader when he decides to goof off.

I wonder how the North Koreans will feel about all the accompanying instruments with the accordion.

Mr. Trigger-Warning made that thankfully-quick quip about The Interview, but I think Kim just didn't want it getting out that he actually does love driving tanks around empty fields while he blasts inspirational Katy Perry tunes.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

coyo7e posted:

Yeah I like it too but gooncensus is that it's trash

I don't know about gooncensus but I loved the book and neither liked nor disliked the movie. If I hadn't read it first I would have had no idea what was going on.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Here's the Vice clip they used for the Alaska segment. It's kind of adorable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWYGjQxcxXU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's no 1.5m Bugaratti mouse with Rolling Stones playing. I almost wonder if its one of those things where they want to maintain whatever budget they have, so they spend as much as they can.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

tarlibone posted:

Use it as a cottage cheese serving dish?

Nah, the jockstrap's tenure serving Russell Crowe is over.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If nothing else, Dianetics fits right on in with the absurd bullshit Johnny O likes to cover.

That said, I'm sure there has been at least one scientology segment in the four years he's been on.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You know it's bad when even Reddit has given up on him.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Found this StackExchange page with some possible explanations. Decent read. Looks like we don't know for sure, but the retrograde spin has an impact as well as the dense atmosphere.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like it might get a passing mention just because of the fact that it's Doug Ford. Rob became a bit of a thing in the US after the crack video and just that association is probably enough to get the attention of at least a few comedians regardless of the politics.

Doug also takes the same policy positions as Rob did. I'm not sure what Doug has actually done but I'm sure it's the sort of stuff John usually mocks.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, short of health care being sacrosanct, some Canadian conservatives are starting to look an awful lot like American ones, whereas generally they're more like Democrats. I lived in Alberta for two years and some of their politicians were bonkers.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Power. The sins of the states are simply based in power.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Problematic Pigeon posted:

That is whataboutism. You are literally providing a textbook definition of whataboutism. You could send this post to Merriam-Webster and they could use it as an example for the word "whataboutism."

Not really. Whataboutism requires a turn of irrelevance. So, John-John Koala Chlamydia points out China reverting to totalitarianism, but what about how Donald Trump harassed women? Isn't it worse to have a completely amoral head of state? That's whataboutism.

This guy and others are making reference to western governments pulling literally the same maneuver.

For my money I think the difference is It's current events with China, and even John would find talking about Putin to be too much of a retread. But that's just me and I don't care too much. It's a comedian's weekly current events show for gently caress's sake.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Still irrelevant, still whataboutism.

Irrelevant to the story within Chinese context, not irrelevant when assessing the impacts.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Next thing you know, goons will blame Jimmy Carter for the bullshit in Gaza.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I got the HBO promotion through Hulu and it was totally uncensored.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Can genes be modified for race? To a certain extent sure, but race itself has proven famously impossible for geneticists to suss out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Android Blues posted:

"Race" is a social construct, and ethnicity is a combination of many traits which together form a broad archetype in the range of what is typical for members of a historically concentrated population. There's no like, white person gene, but there are genes for melanin production and lactose tolerance that, in a broad swathe of people whose ancestors are from (for example) Northern Europe, tend to be organised a certain way.

That's what geneticists mean when they say race isn't a useful scientific term, and it's broadly true. Ethnicity is only useful on the macro scale, not the individual, because individuals have variations, and there's no firm border on which traits are "ethnic" traits other than their degree of incidence among a population, which fundamentally isn't a reliable metric. If you try to establish ethnicity as a collection of genetic traits, there will always be individuals who one would intuitively define as being part of the same ethnicity that don't share all of those traits. There's really no firm border on when a person is "genetically" one ethnicity or the other, just a collection of generalised patterns. This is why it's thought of as a weak method of categorisation.

However, it would still be entirely possible to switch melanin production from "high" to "low" and eye colour from "brown" to "blue", effectively creating a new ethnicity that just happened to outwardly resemble a white person. Broadly speaking the individual genes determining those traits are known.

Awesome post, thanks. It mostly confirms what I thought but it does clarify a bit. I mean, I listened to the relevant Radiolab episode in 2011.

Honestly, this way of thinking of the CRISPR stuff is even more messed up. Not only do you have the potential issue of "oh, you have dark kids, you must be a poor," but you go straight to "ah, it's good that you could manage the white and blonde and blue, but it's just such a shame about those curls. Is there at least some product s/he could use at least to tone it down a bit?"

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm not so sure about that. False reports to HR are so common that I've spent years finagling myself out and away from corporate culture. I've seen enough peoples' lives damaged by it to be on the side of "lol, like innocence is enough?"

It seems like everything from oversensitivity to attention-seeking to office politics to simple axes to grind. It may have been a false equivalency to racism, but it also simply happens way, way too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You don't even need to go to prison. Even small convictions with the punishment of probation can gently caress up your life with regards to work and travel. Got a misdemeanor? You might now be criminally inadmissible to Canada.

• Locked thread