Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

As a newbie to the format, Oliver outperformed Stewart (and Colbert) on TDS, so this has got to be good. Plus on HBO, I'm sure he's got freedom and a budget. The rest just depends on his writing staff. I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Paper Kaiju posted:

The Daily Show recently did a piece on the exploitation of child labor in the tobacco industry, a practice that is supported by every person who smokes, whether they realize it or not (and I doubt that very many of them did). And the fact that tobacco companies still manage to rake in billions of dollars annually despite the fact that 'everyone already knows smoking is bad', while more and more laws are being passed pertaining to where people are even allowed to smoke, indicates that this is still an issue that the United States continues to deal with. So please don't assume that the smoking debate is done just because you've formed your stance and you don't hear anyone else talking about it.

It's a profitable and fairly well-regulated business. It's unhealthy, and every reasonable person admits this. What controversy is there?

The smoking debate is done, it's just got a few vestigial quibbles about where-and-how-expensive.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Seriousness and respectability are assets when it comes to relaying facts. They're irrelevant or even impediments to telling truth--that's good news for comedians doing journalism. Facts are for encyclopedias; truth is what journalists are supposed to do.

• Locked thread