Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

As much as I love this show, the fact that they tweet out some of the big jokes and cameos as they happen on Twitter is a bit annoying - I always forget they do that and ruin some of the things for me before it plays out.

You look on Twitter on Sunday nights before you look for this show? For shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FlyingCheese posted:

I agree with everything posted here, I only wish it was a little longer. If Smuggy McSmug Bill Maher can do an hour, this show can too. A week wait for a half hour show isn't enough, it's just too good.

Bill Maher does ten minutes, an interview, then lets his panel argue until five minutes of new rules. I agree that Last Week Tonight is excellent and there needs to be a lot more of it, but that isn't the best comparison to make.

(I also wish we had more outspoken atheists like Maher, just not like Maher with his ugly anti-Islam. Better to be anti-religion, you'll either ruffle fewer feathers or more of the right ones.)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

JohnSherman posted:

I would love for you to tell me who "the right ones" are. :rolleyes:

Anyone who uses the guise of Christianity to spread hate speech, from televangelists like Pat Robertson and Glenn Beck to the religious right of this country.

I don't hate the religious, just most of their figureheads and what they accomplish.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Astro Nut posted:

It'd be nice, and I'm saying this as a Catholic, for there to be more popular and well known atheists that weren't subsequently known to also be dicks about it.

Thank you, that's very much the point I'm trying to make. Atheists arrived at a logical conclusion, and I wish more were interested in sharing that rather than spreading stories about dumb Christians or anything else. It's quite likely that people have already seen these stories and shaken their collective heads. Makes me wish there was a better message to send than "your entire spiritual life was a lie!"

Ricky Gervais is a good example that illustrates both sides of my point. He has embraced atheism and shared some of what that viewpoint grants you, but he's a big part of the "LOL Christianity" echo chamber that I have no interest in joining.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
How is responding to Irish Joe still a thing?

Literally the best thing to come out of Ayn Rand is Rush lyrics.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sakarja posted:

The segment was weak because it felt muddled and rushed.

It was rushed. He had just spent half the episode discussing our government's drone program and how little we understand about it. Ayn Rand doesn't deserve that much effort, why is Rand even still a thing? The light-heartedness went right past you.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
This episode was the best yet at exposing a horrible aspect of American life yet keeping you laughing through it. That's tough.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Arab is the people, Arabic is the language. Persians are Iranians.

The country is pronounced Ih-rahn, the adjective is pronounced Eye-rain-ian.

Don't call them orientals. I'm surprised that word is even in my phone's keyboard.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

spending four years playing Foosball on the USS Dick Wave doesn't entitle you to cradle-to-grave care. At some point, every man has to take responsibility for his own goddamn life.

No, being an American citizen would entitle you to healthcare if this were a first world nation. Putting yourself in harm's way for the military is not nearly as lucrative as idiots like you seem to think, as well.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

No one said it was lucrative, but the benefits are very generous considering both historic precedent and equivalent private sector jobs.

Are you actually this dense and spiteful, or are you doing a thing where you're bad at trolling?

I don't even support the military and I know our veterans get a raw deal.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

As for what I said, at no point in history were soldiers (et, al) given a better deal than they are today

I can think of numerous times of peace. You see, it's possible for our leaders to avoid starting poo poo across the globe and keep what's called a military reserve. I would really like to see this in my lifetime, but as long as our leaders are loving idiots, I support programs to slightly unfuck the lives the military-industrial complex destroys.

Lurk more, and read more.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Viginti posted:

I remember the other Jon doing a story about this a few years ago and being shocked by it then. Sad to see so little has changed that they can basically still tell it the exact same way now. This was a pretty consistent episode across the board, none of the usual clunkers for me, even if it didn't hit a high of outrage.

It was certainly one of the funnier episodes this season, made me think of the POMeranian letter: "We laughed hard."

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

We're proud of our kids. Sorry your country sucks.

We enjoy literally replicating the Hunger Games model, sorry you're such knuckle-draggers. :smug:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FlyingCheese posted:

It's also less about not wanting to pay for HBO and more about not paying for cable. HBO is finally adding a web only subscription but only for Apple devices. Ugh.

Really? I was excited for this, I'm about to move away from the HBO access I'm living with. I didn't hear about the Apple device requirement, that's awful.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

That's a super good story. Any way or interest in getting that out? I mean it's resolved which takes a lot of the punch out but that's a drat good story. Also you wonder what happened to the 20 people before you.

I'd personally write a Daily Kos diary about the subject, if you're interested in getting it out there. Good format for a resolved tale.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jack Skeleton posted:

I was asleep in a parked car. I didn't want to dare a DUI and so I was sleeping it off when cops knocked on my window two hours into my slumber time. They were looking for an easy DUI, but thankfully my keys were in the trunk and that's the only thing they could come up with.

You were lucky or I've been lied to, but I've had people tell me they got arrested in a situation like that (keys in the trunk, cop just didn't give a poo poo)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Chand0X posted:

Sunday night's episode is going to be 45 minutes long!

https://twitter.com/lastweektonight/status/584019686674698241

Good, there's a loving lot to cover. Daily Show being off all week doesn't help either.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Grinning Goblin posted:

No, most TED talks really are stupid. It is just watching the speaker mentally masturbate on stage while everyone in the audience pretends it is insightful. He may as well just been on some radio morning talk show with shock jocks.

Because you can easily get 30+ minutes uninterrupted on AM radio.

You have to be smart enough to appreciate the talk.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Also, as a generally informed person let me just say: most TED talks are in fact stupid.

Most people are stupid, but a handful will open your eyes to a view you never considered or show you things you never considered possible.

Kill them all!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Seriously.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Do these tests affect grades, though? I thought they were purely an exercise in data gathering.

Try http://www.google.com next time.

http://www.bobbraunsledger.com/breaking-pearson-nj-spying-on-social-media-of-students-taking-parcc-tests/

Data is definitely being gathered... To suspend students. That might have an impact on GPA!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

EDIT: Never mind. Wrong thread.

In case you're still lost: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3380930

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

There probably isn't, but the point is that he doesn't even understand what he's arguing or why people disagree with him. His principles aren't well-reasoned. They don't have a deep philosophical basis.

I want you to read this and reflect upon yourself.

Hopefully for eternity.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

Yes, because abortion is legal in all America states and without limits and no-one, especially some of the people against paid mother leaves, is trying to ban it even when rape is involved, right?

Beat me to it. I would love to say we're an enlightened, pro-choice society that's capable of fixing our issues that negatively impact women and the poor, but I can already hear the laughter.

I live on a coast and don't plan on having children, but I still support robust maternity leave. Actually, it's not that altruistic: I just don't want to work with new moms.

https://youtu.be/LbTB3ASkdOo

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

I'm sorry about your dad, but a grown man should have enough money saved to make it 0-3 weeks (depending on his leftover vacation) to go without pay. ...
let them have 2-4 weeks off paid (even though it pisses me off)...
but people are idiots- so the government takes a small percentage to make sure they don't all waste it on hookers and blow and end up penniless at 65. Probably a good plan. ...
That's not my fault. That's those stupid rednecks' fault. ...
At some point though, you gotta think "Get the hell out of that idiot state and stop voting for those idiot men, or you deserve what you get". (does not apply to minors).

Do you hear that? That's your entire argument crumbling with your own words. People are idiots. They don't save up three weeks' pay, they don't put away (enough) for retirement, and you know this.

You also know this poo poo isn't getting easier, and telling people who don't like it to move is so hilariously insulated and ignorant I can't believe you didn't delete that mid-post. There is a TV show with multiple seasons called 16 and Pregnant. American mothers need every leg up they can get.

DoggPickle posted:

The way our system works here, I'm completely confident that if we added more paid maternity leave, the end effect would be lesser pay for everyone else.

You should probably question that confidence and actually do a modicum of research.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

Ok f it. It's the internet, so you can choose to believe me or not, but I clicked on the Flash thread and missed (because laptop touchpad) and the entire page of yellow quotes basically destroyed my resolve never to post again.

#1) gently caress that guy who had zero reading comprehension and among other things called me a human being and couldn't even spell it right. I appreciate the reluctant stick up for me post, because he's a stupid idiot.

#2) I'm not some emotionless robot. My dad had been "dying" from when I was 18 until I was 24. I literally could not continue working when my mom called to tell me. It was the day after my birthday by the way, and I knew that he hung on just for me, so he wouldn't die on my birthday. It was also a friday, and I had to have someone come pick me up because I could not drive.

#3) I really was living month to month with a pretty heavy amount of savings, but even THAT could not save me from having to pay two extra mortgages with all the utilities and two extra cars in 5 DAYS. I had perfect credit that I worked really hard for! So you do the right thing, and be responsible. I sold my decent car, and kept the POS that my parents' had had since 1997. So if that makes me some BEEP-BORP robot, than very well. But I think it makes me a responsible human being.

#4) I'm actually quite capable of making babies and there's one out there right now that is 18 years old true story, so you can just stop all that "you can't do it, so of course you're jealous or pissed or whatever" It was a freak accident and I had TWO periods after I was pregnant and then it was illegal to do anything about it. So yeah, I've actually LIVED the nightmare scenario. I had no choice in the matter. I've had two abortions also. One was from a broken condom (and I thought NO WAY CMON, plus it was before Plan B existed) and one was with my husband when I was switching between the patch and the ring, and by all accounts, I should have been safe. SHOCKER, I'm not a disgusting couch-blob and I CAN get dudes to gently caress me, even marry me :lol:

#5) I'm not all SCREW YOU I GOT MINE. I was just asking for any legitimate reason to ask someone who doesn't intend on having kids to support any measures for more paid maternity leave. I think it makes young women even more unlikely to get chosen for jobs. I've actually had an employer tell me to cut his list of potential secretaries by any woman that was between 20-35. And we don't even have the really GOOD leave in America. I can't imagine what it would be like if you could take 18 months off for free. :lol: If I was a small business owner, I would of course make up some excuse, but gently caress THAT if I'm hiring any girl who could possibly get pregnant. It's a total waste of time and money.

#6) these glib excuses about having kids being "human nature" are just silly. Human nature is for all you guys to screw anything possible, willing or not, but you make a rational decision to do otherwise ( I HOPE!). Do we not understand science and genetics? If you KNOW that your genes are sub-par, is it not your DUTY not to procreate? I'm not talking about Nazi level eugenics, but simple things, like mental illnesses, possible Tay-Sachs, or in my case, a horrible predilection for very early cancer. There is a middle-ground between these extremes. Biological imperative also means that we should seek out the most alpha males at all opportunities and try to get their seed at all costs. I'm pretty sure we're intellectually over that as well.

#7) It's clear that I seemed a bit ranty, but like I said right away I had very little sleep and probably shouldn't have posted in the first place. It's just the pre-understood level of agreement that makes no sense to me. (and puts me in the "troll position" whether or not I was actually called that specifically.) Also troll position just made me laugh. Sorry. I like puns.

#8) I think that the more rational people are correct, and that in our current system, if everyone just generally had more leave, then taking all this time off for babies would be completely less irritating. I'm sure it's a cultural thing, but I have real trouble imagining 1/3 of my office just gone for years at a time, and then attempting to get any actual work done.. I guess it works out somehow in the end? But I can't imagine being a business owner and just choosing to accept that. :/

#9) Since everyone I have ever been related to, worked their asses off and still went and died right before retirement, I don't actually have to work anymore. At all. This was just a thought exercise exactly like I said. So in total, pretty much half the suppositions over the last couple pages were completely wrong. You're attacking a person (who you don't understand) instead of a cogent argument. Even though it was a bit ranty sounding. I got a little emotional at the dad-death bit. (and that's my bad) But I really think that calling my post some CRAZY person Rant/rave is a bit out of touch with reality.

*Why should I want to pay for other people to have babies?* <- it's still the same question. Or you can just get back to making fun of John's Mascots. And Japanese people. Or both.

:munch:

Seriously, watching you try to justify this is even better than trying to address it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

I would like to put some kind of Toxx clause in effect, where I will never speak of this matter again, and anyone else who does is also up for getting banned.. Because I like The Weekly Show, and others do too, and I'm sorry I crapped up the thread unintentionally, and I think everyone would like an end to it. FYI there is no mod or administrator involved in this. I just think it's for the good of everyone.

Is this an agreeable thing?

I too thought dropping this issue entirely would have been for the good of everyone when Deadpool very politely asked, but you're such an attention whore you're still posting.

Seriously, log off, go outside, and meet with a therapist.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

njsykora posted:

Well there are very few sites who could've screamed about how John is right this week and not been massively hypocritical, plus I think this is the first time he's targeted a wide group of the media.

Best episode of the show. I pray this gains traction.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Any exposure is good exposure I suppose but who doesn't already know about this?

Too loving many. Show this clip to everyone you know.

This is one of the greatest injustices we see from our "Justice System" today. A part of me insists it's due to our godawful for-profit, crammed and monetized prisons.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Irish Joe: a guy who's literally never bought weed.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

pentyne posted:

What's the "real" alternative to Whole Foods? Besides shopping at local markets where food is better and cheaper.

Trader Joooooooooe's!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ultramiraculous posted:

"Sex is like boxing: if both people didn't fully agree to participate, one of them is committing a crime." is such a fantastic quote. Consent is an infuriatingly unappreciated concept and anything to push people toward understanding is great.

This is all so confusing, let's just ignore it all until marriage and then I can do whatever I want with my wife! ?

Even with the formula, this show is great and handles topics very well.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

There wasn't much about gay sex IIRC, but that's because most students probably didn't want to be outed/mistaken for gay.

I can only imagine the parental outrage. I'd be surprised if any American sex ed covered that topic (I realize you're Canadian, I just don't think we're so different, you and I).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dante80 posted:

Found out yesterday that LWT had a youtube page and then proceeded to watch all main segments published.

drat, this is a good show.

A question. Beside the main segment that gets uploaded on youtube, what other segments are there? In essence I'm asking whether it is a good idea to torrent the show or not.

It's the best idea you could have, short of buying a subscription to HBO. :) Seriously, the episodes are well laid out and paced, plenty of punchy comedy between serious points.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I want that loving book.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm posting because I don't remember my reg date.

Edit: Oh, huh. I would have guessed '06.

Probably lurked for awhile before you spent money. Holy poo poo it's been five+ years since I've seen anyone give a poo poo about regdate.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

That segment was the first time I ever heard of the Daily Show. It's depressing that the divide between left and right is even greater now than it was back then.

I don't see a solution. The American right is entrenched in identity politics, and refuses to accept fact. If you can't appeal via rational logic, and they're already prejudiced against you for whatever reason, there's no debate. You can't have a conversation. It's a non-starter by definition.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

There's nothing funnier in that segment on Hollywood whitewashing than the noting that Asian man Glenn from The Walking Dead was played by a white person in the TWD porno parody.

Yeah, I had no idea that was coming and laughed from the belly. Just a great episode all-around.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Donald Drumpf.

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
That Puerto Rico song was incredible, I can't believe y'all sometimes.

• Locked thread