Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I enjoyed the global warming poll comparison. Do owls exist? [ ] Yes [ ] No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like Andy but he is definitely best as a pair with John.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Powershift posted:

The USS constitution is still technically a comissioned warship in the US navy.

The argentinian navy does still have actual ships, it's not like that's what they use to defend their country.

The Greek navy has a trireme as a commissioned ship, too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

He frequently has said on the Bugle that the British were cartoon supervillains.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nope. Afghan is the people, Afghani is the currency.

E: Though technically Afghan only refers to one ethnic group, the Pashtuns. The other ethnic groups in Afghanistan would not necessarily consider themselves Afghans.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's becoming a new major problem in China, since idiots believe in TCM and use it constantly, but TCM doesn't work. So the people peddling the herbs will add actual medicine to it so it will be effective and thus get them more business, but they have no idea what the gently caress they're doing because they have no medical knowledge. And thus you get people making their dried cockroach tea laced with a lethal dose of acetaminophen or whatever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

John Oliver summoning the fires of hell gif, please

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The libertarian dream is alive again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Honest question, what safeguards are in place for something like the BBC to ensure the state doesn't interfere with them? I'm always immediately suspicious when a journalism outlet is reporting on the people giving them their money, and since a major responsibility of journalists is to keep an eye on the government it sounds like a conflict of interest. Same question for PBS' investigative reporting I guess. I'm not against the idea of state funded journalism but not sure how you keep it from turning into state sponsored "journalism".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've noticed a lot of the "but liberals like charter schools too!" quotes are from like 20 years ago when there weren't any. My understanding is the original idea was sold as hey, private schools often do quite a bit better than public schools. Let's create this charter school idea that is basically a private school which kids who can't afford a private school can get into, so public school kids can get a private school education. Sounds great. Then they actually did it and it's a clusterfuck.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I really want to know more about the most patient man on television.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The US will have the same hate crime spike except we have lots of guns. It will be a loving miracle if we even get to inauguration day without mosque bombings and mass shootings.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eat poo poo, Bob.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

From living in China this is hilarious. The crackdown has been immense and clearly visible over the years I've been here. There's CCP propaganda posters absolutely everywhere now, non-Han neighborhoods are filled with police toting assault rifles, there's vastly more censorship, internet connections to the outside world are routinely cut off for days at a time. Huge areas of the province I live in have been closed off to travel, cops come by the apartment to hassle you with increasing frequency, my school was literally banned from teaching history...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like that John Oliver uses his own TV show for extremely stupid year-long extended jokes, as that is also what I would do if someone gave me a TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Speaking of spectacularly dumb and amazing ways to waste HBO's money.

• Locked thread