Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah I've gotta say I enjoy LWT way more than TDS. I think having more time to get in-depth on stuff and being able to talk about multiple topics rather than "1 topic, commercial, maybe some correspondent stuff, commercial, interview" allows the show to breathe a bit more.

Plus I think the interviews are always the terrible part of talk shows, but there is some value to them so I like how LWT does a little bit of it and puts the rest online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I know GoT is on break because of Memorial Day. Maybe they're doing it for all their series?

All HBO shows are on break next Sunday for Memorial Day. I think HBO said pretty much outright they'd never air any series on the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend again after GOT's ratings went into the toilet after airing what was essentially the climax of season 2 on Memorial Day Weekend.

Instead their airing the movie about the start of the AIDS outbreak, which actually looks like it might be really good.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

John Oliver is just killing it. Also holy poo poo at the list of words GM banned. Kevorkianesque made me guffaw. I mean god drat. Loved the commercial they made with it.

I drive one of the recalled kevorkianesque rolling sarcophagi but they don't have the parts yet and actually haven't even informed me my car is affected. Good job GM :mad:

At least my car's problem is just "the axle might fall off" instead of "everything will turn off and you'll die." I'm kind of surprised there isn't a thread about this in AI/GBS/D&D

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Who had "guest appearance by Right Said Fred to mock Bashir Al-Assad" on the bingo card?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So Youtube said that the season finale is next week. How can a show like this have a season finale? Are they going on break for all of November and December?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You can always listen to old episodes of The Bugle.

Or new ones. He still does it every week.

sbaldrick posted:

He called the FCC a dingo and he was forced to respond to it in a press conference and he called the head of FIFA even worse to the point that everyone calls him on it. Oliver has no fear.

When the new Net Neutrality rules pass later this month I really, really, really hope he gives credit to Wheeler for not being a dingo anymore.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 11, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

richardfun posted:

Was this always in the intro, or did they put it in there as an hommage because of Stewarts announcement?

I think this season they've started having the last one be something topical. I think they had one last week too.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

one sexy loser posted:

Can anyone explain why exactly Florida has such a population of loons? Is it the humidity?

Because Florida's sunshine law makes basically all police documents public. The same stuff is going on in every state, it's just that we actually hear about it in Florida.

edit: loving beaten.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

xcore posted:

So no words on the actual meat of the show this week? As non-US person that scared the everliving poo poo out of me. I understand he was being a bit tongue in cheek when he did the "well i shouldn't have urinated in October during an election year" but the implications of that are frightening.

Maybe I need to go and check out the US Politics series that John and Hank Green's channel is doing at the moment, because it is loving bizarre to me that judges run around running campaigns like that to be "elected".

If you ever wanna get freaked out read the US Politics thread in D&D. There's a really good reason half the time it descends into hard liquor-chat.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I unironically want to see Infrastructure this summer.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

joepinetree posted:

I am a college professor and at one point in my career I taught at a university with a relatively big, but not huge, football program (i.e., a school that will frequently compete for the division, sometimes the conference, but never for the national title). One semester I taught a M-W-F class that met for 50 or 55 minutes per session. One of my students was a football player (freshman, back up, absolutely no shot at the pros), and I got a notice from the athletic department that the student would be 15 minutes late for all my classes, and that I should excuse him because he had team meetings to attend. Did I mention this was the spring semester?

Yeah this is why the NCAA saying "oh the kids are paid in their ~*education and opportunities*~" is bullshit. I remember reading a story during the NW football unionization story about how if you wanted to be say, a chemist, and play football at the same time it was literally impossible. The degrees these players get are absolutely worthless. I know back when I was a kid my dad would watch Penn State games and I always noticed the players had the same completely worthless majors.

But "the kids get a degree" so people who aren't aware of how bullshit it all is don't see anything wrong. Calling the education most of the big time basketball/football athletes get a college degree is a god damned joke.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I actually challenged my last speeding ticket just to see what happens. What happens is the officer actually shows up and presents so much evidence you basically look stupid. Now I understand why everyone takes the plea deal and no one fights them. On a good note, the only thing I got charged more for was the points, they had me pay the same fine as if I had plead guilty.

Lesson learned, just pay the drat thing or try to get the court date pushed back so far that the officer may have moved to another county or you happen to nail him while on vacation so he doesn't show.

Yeah but if the cop doesn't show up you win by default. It's pretty easy to fight a speeding ticket if you make sure the cop doesn't specifically wanna gently caress you over. Best way of doing that is being completely ordinary and non-memorable.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Of all the reasons to go 45 minutes I did not think "an interview with Edward Snowden" would be one of them. Holy poo poo.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Remember when Obama said he'd end the spying and illegal wiretapping during the 08 campaign? And now his administration has gone after leakers harder than any administration ever. Seems like it was said by a totally different person.

If Obama really cared about this he'd pardon Snowden for exposing all this. He was way more responsible and cautious than Manning and without him we would have no clue about all this.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
When he asked who benefited I knew it was "Pearson" before he said it. Years of standardized testing and staring at their loving logo has burned them into my brain.

And whoever in Florida came up with that formula for how your students should do is a lovely statistician. If something has a maximum value you should cap everything at that. That's just simple checking your work... Which leads me to believe that Pearson doesn't really check it's work.

The College Board gets a lot of poo poo for the SAT and AP exams but I think it's way better than most of these state level standardized tests we see. Why didn't we use the AP exam as our template for these things? I thought those were pretty decent as far as standardized tests went. Generous time limits and done at a fairly relaxed pace and they never felt unfair.

Although I will say I think the joke about the cow paper was a bit low. I suspect it was used more for statistical research and methodology than anything else. Scientific research in other areas is used a lot of the time if they find some neat statistical way of measuring something. I've cited papers about cancer because of their statistical rigor, the content is immaterial.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rarity posted:

For starters there's the fact that one party can get 2.5 million votes and 8 seats while another party can get 3.8 million votes and 1 seat, or one party can get 1.2 million votes and get 1 seat while 1 party can get 1.5 million votes and get 56 seats.

I will not have you besmirch the time-honored tradition of gerrymandering and general election fuckery. It's not our fault that everyone is running the old versions of democracy while only Germany and Japan seem to have gotten the most recent system updates.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Holy poo poo we need every agency to have a mascot RIGHT loving NOW

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

swickles posted:

One of my best friends that I have known since high school made a documentary on chicken farming a couple years ago. It was basically a hobby of his, making documentaries. Anyways, he told me today that it is going to be on John Oliver's show this week. I have no clue if it will be 5 seconds, or if they will even mention his name. Either way, its pretty cool to see his efforts make it big so to speak. The documentary in question is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2erLkMuVqt4

Can't wait to see it!

Hey swickles your friend made a really good documentary about something I think most of America has no idea about, so good on him. Really shocked about how bad poo poo is for the farmers, it seems like they're in a no-win situation. Not a whole lot of industry in the Deep South apart from agriculture and when Big Ag fucks you like this, what are you supposed to do?

Is it just me or do all the issues over the last few weeks boil down to "large corporations need to be shackled because they're out of control." Because that seems like the overriding thesis to me. If only any politicians actually gave a poo poo...

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, don't run afoul of the fruit police.

No, seriously, they're patrolling the highways, they'll pull you over to check for fruit smuggling while you're driving through a quarantine strip.

What fruits are banned?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

Edit: Maybe he can focus on LGBT rights (or lack thereof) across the world. I learned Friday that you can go to jail for life in Guyana if you are caught performing "buggery."

Well he covered transgender rights in the US, which you don't typically see too much coverage on.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I'm always impressed with the guests LWT is able to get on the show. I think this is the third or fourth time Nick Offerman has been on.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Tax-exempt status is given to a ton of organizations that don't really deserve it, and the very concept of full tax exemption in the United States should probably be reformed or abolished in favor of large tax credits if your organization can provide reasoning for why they deserve them. Non-profits that primarily do charity work would be able to get a 100% tax deduction in this way, and so forth. But it'd be audited.

It would be a huge burden to smaller charities though. I'm the Treasurer of a very small, very local non-profit and if we had to actually do our taxes every year and not just send the IRS a postcard saying "yeah we're still not making a profit" it would take up almost a quarter of our budget.

Just getting everything set up took over 6 months and dozens of forms and meetings with accountants. If you're not a religious organization there's a lot of hurdles you have to jump through.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zero One posted:

That's a big bag of seed.

Maybe the cum baker sent it in.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So semi serious question, how many refugees are being taken in here in the States? I've heard immigrating here as a refugee is tough, I worked with a bunch of Kosovar refugees as a kid in the 90s and the work they had to do to get here was incredible.

But man, they loved America more than an apple pie shaped like a bald eagle.

What I'm saying is, we need to encourage people getting kicked by camerawomen in hungary to come here because its the right thing to do.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I installed the Make Donald Drumpf again extension so now I have no idea if the people earlier on were actually saying his name or if they've joined with the rest of America and have made Donald Drumpf again. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I just saw John Oliver's live standup show in DC.

Holy gently caress if you have the chance to go, drop whatever you are doing and go. It is incredible. I've never laughed so hard in my life.

• Locked thread