Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The 7 genius students, known as the GREAT 7, launched a project to construct an artificial island called Nanae Island to realize their leader, Nanana Ryugajo's peculiar idea.

12 years later, with a total population of 100,000 people with as much as 80% of those inhabitants being students, Nanae Island has successfully become prosperous as a special student zone. One of the island's newest residents was Jugo Yama -- a high school student who had just transferred to the island after being disowned by his father. One day, Jugo finds in his own apartment the earth-bound spirit of the late Nanana Ryugajo, who was murdered by someone 10 years ago.

The original LN was written by Kazuma Otorino and the adaptation is being animated by A-1 Pictures (Silver Spoon, Zvezda) with Kanta Kamei directing (Usagi Drop).

Yama Juugo: Our unfortunate male protagonist. First he's disowned by his parents, then he's stuck in a room with a ghost NEET who forces him to buy pudding all the time. But he's cool with having a good old Indy Jones adventure and joins the Adventure Club.

Ryuujagou Nanana: The titular female ghost bound to Jugo Yama's room after she was killed there 10 years ago. She doesn't do much else besides plays video games, eat excessive amounts of pudding, and provide vague hints to the locations of her famed treasures, dubbed the Nanana Collection.

Ikkyuu Tensai: The self proclaimed "Master Detective" who's not all talk. She decides to join Juugo on his Indy Jones adventures and also joins the Adventure Club. If Tensai is Sherlock Holmes then...

Hoshino Daruku: ... is her Watson, though he's mostly just an assistant, and join the Adventure Club with Tensai. Yes, he, but voiced by Hana Kanazawa. :shrug:

Yuiga Isshin: A 3rd year student and president of the Adventure Club. He's a little obsessed with the power of Nanana's treasures, and being a dick with them.

Yuu Ibara: VP of the Adventure Club, and is loyal to Isshin.

Why should you care?
Didn't you read the thread title?

They might not be scouring ancient crypts or forgotten temples and running from giant boulders and dodging arrow traps, but the Ruins that guard Nanana's treasures are pretty amazing in their own right and have all the danger and thrill of an Indy style adventure.

Streams on Crunchyroll on Thursdays at 1:30 EDT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Enjoying tis so far. Genius is a pretty cool character, although they haven't given me much reason to give a poo poo about anyone else yet. So far this show's biggest strength for me has been its unpredictability, and I'm pretty interested to find out what exactly they plan to do next episode.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Are there any cool Indiana Jones references? Does the MC ever say "It belongs in a museum"?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I hope the MC is actually going to be a competent treasure hunter in the group. I'm going to be terribly annoyed if he is there just so the other characters can poo poo on him. It's still a pretty cool show. Not...to sure about the side characters, the detective girl annoys me and her side-kick is just idonteven. I'll see how it goes.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

DrPaper posted:

Are there any cool Indiana Jones references? Does the MC ever say "It belongs in a museum"?

Not really or at least not in the Crunchyroll translations. Still, it's far more original than that and doesn't need to depend on wacky references to be a good show.

This has been a pretty fun show so far. The treasure rooms remind of the test chambers in Portal. Particularly in the way they're dynamically constructed and change shape and form and that they have subtly lethal elements in the rooms. All that's missing is a psychotic AI periodically taunting the characters about their lack of intelligence, how they were orphans because their parents didn't love them, and their excess weight. Actually, overlaying the treasure room scenes with GLaDOS's many quips could be a funny video.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Watched the first episode. Too much anime, not enough Indiana Jones. They adjust the ratio later on?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Watched the first episode. Too much anime, not enough Indiana Jones. They adjust the ratio later on?

Watch the next two for the first two treasure hunts.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Darth Walrus posted:

The ratio has been rising steadily. If the current trend continues this show will be better then Jojo half way through the season.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The first episode was mostly setup. 2 and 3 are where the fun starts.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

My master detective can't be this cute. Tensai is already my favourite character i nthis show by far.

Bonus points for being smart enough to know about the suspension bridge effect, and that it was the cause of her sudden feelings for the MC.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, Nanana started up a game of Terraria. Kind of fitting given the topic of the show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

nftyw posted:

Wow, Nanana started up a game of Terraria. Kind of fitting given the topic of the show.

I'm pretty sure every single game she plays is a real game. We could probably make a game out of guessing what games she's playing each episode.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

If the current trend continues this show will be better then Jojo half way through the season.

This show is pretty decent but ahahaha no.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Yeah, Nanana may be fun and charming but Jojo is over-the-top fun and FABULOUS. Plus Jojo is already well established and can practicality do no wrong while Nanana could still turn sour at any moment which is a fairly common occurrence for many original Noitamina shows. :(

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

This show is pretty decent but ahahaha no.
I thought the assumption was that the trend obviously wouldn't continue

Edward IV posted:

Nanana could still turn sour at any moment which is a fairly common occurrence for many original Noitamina shows. :(
This is a LN adaptation.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Hahahaha.

Suddenly this show has turned into, "What's a little endless backstabbery between friends?" the anime.

Tensai has really grown on me over the last two episodes. It's not often you get a "Master Detective" who can back it up.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well that was... weird. I feel like there's something important missing in that beginning part because that was a kinda awkward progression of events. And suddenly Juugo's family is a thief ring, and Juugo himself is a thief but had a falling out over philosophical differences? :psyduck:

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 1, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Well that was... weird. I feel like there's something important missing in that begging part because that was a kinda awkward progression of events. And suddenly Juugo's family is a thief ring, and Juugo himself is a thief but had a falling out over philosophical differences? :psyduck:

There were actually people speculating that Juugo was attached to the thief pair from episode 2. It wasn't made obvious but there was foreshadowing there.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Question is then, did Juugo know about the Nanana Collection before moving to the island? Or did he involve himself in the theft of that eye jewel thing just after learning about its existence?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
After the last episode I can't really tell who is on what side. How many sides are there? Is this going to end up being gambit after gambit of screwing people over to try to get ahead?

This is a great show so far.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Strong Mouse posted:

After the last episode I can't really tell who is on what side. How many sides are there? Is this going to end up being gambit after gambit of screwing people over to try to get ahead?

That would be in the similar vein of Indiana Jones and I'm 100% okay with it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Strong Mouse posted:

Everyone is on their own side with their own goals and motivations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Strong Mouse posted:

I can't even remember their names half the time. I think I need a relationship chart.

EDIT: Holy poo poo this episode is fast. :psyduck:

I think it might actually be too fast

I never think that. I was pissed when Kyousougiga slowed down after the first episode. :shepface:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 2, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

At least it's not as fast as Black Bullet episode 4. It alone covered about 5-6 existing chapters and another 4 that haven't been written/translated yet.

Tensai is still firmly in the lead as best girl :smug: the secret agendas of every character is pretty cool, and I like how even the main protagonists aren't entirely on the same side. I have high hopes for this show.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Something that I've begun to wonder as we see more of the powers that Nanana's collection possesses is if Nanana was really murdered. With the kind of power that these treasure pieces hold, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that one or more of those pieces could be used to fake her death and turn her into a form that resembles a ghost. She probably had enemies that wanted her out of the way so she took herself out of the picture and allowed her enemies to scheme as they please while she plans and implements counter moves.

This is speculation of course but it is a possible explanation for why she's a ghost and the mysterious circumstances surrounding her death. In fact, I think the fetch quest for her treasure could be part of her counter move to draw out and deal with her enemies. Maybe Nanana is the real antagonist. Given all the twists this show has thrown so far, I wouldn't be surprised if events turn out this way or close to it. (Except Nanana being the bad guy, though I won't completely discount it.)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
For a master thief, you certainly had a lovely loving plan to backstep the club president.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

For a master thief, you certainly had a lovely loving plan to backstep the club president.

I dunno, "taunt him into a fight then use my superior agility and durability to tank his staff's attacks until it runs out of charges and completely neutralises him as a threat" does seem like a plan that plays to his strengths. I mean, it's not genius-level, but it's decent enough.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 2, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think the problem with this show is that it tries to do too much, it wants to be a detective/mystery/heist/harem/highschool/magical realism show, and springs completely turnabouts on its core cast on a whim. It leaves the show unfocused and constantly messes with your suspension of disbelief.

They're also trying to apply videogame logic to the story, which doesn't work because animes aren't bideogaymes.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Phobophilia posted:

I think the problem with this show is that it tries to do too much, it wants to be a detective/mystery/heist/harem/highschool/magical realism show, and springs completely turnabouts on its core cast on a whim. It leaves the show unfocused and constantly messes with your suspension of disbelief.

They're also trying to apply videogame logic to the story, which doesn't work because animes aren't bideogaymes.

There, that's much more workable. The detective/mystery stuff has been pretty peripheral so far too, so all we're really looking at is heist/harem/highschool- and that's basically just one genre in the animes.

I dunno, it's working for me. And it's actually working for me a lot more now, after ep 4 fleshed out everyone's characters and motivations.

(also I will invest in anything if I watch it long enough)

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

You are basically descirbing Indian Jones.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Edward IV posted:

Something that I've begun to wonder as we see more of the powers that Nanana's collection possesses is if Nanana was really murdered. With the kind of power that these treasure pieces hold, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that one or more of those pieces could be used to fake her death and turn her into a form that resembles a ghost. She probably had enemies that wanted her out of the way so she took herself out of the picture and allowed her enemies to scheme as they please while she plans and implements counter moves.

If nothing else, I'd say it's pretty likely that the giant glassy pendant she's wearing is related to the creation of the ruins. Cf. the way she was holding it while "divining" in episode 3.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, "taunt him into a fight then use my superior agility and durability to tank his staff's attacks until it runs out of charges and completely neutralises him as a threat" does seem like a plan that plays to his strengths. I mean, it's not genius-level, but it's decent enough.

The important part was goading him into using attacks, rather than something like the go home command he eventually gave. Which was then too late.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wait why did a group of genius students with enough power to build a new society on an island have a NEET as their leader? Was it because she had purple hair?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think she only went neet after she died and got trapped in a room. But through the magic of modern technology, all her social and adventuring needs could be met.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

I think she only went neet after she died and got trapped in a room. But through the magic of modern technology, all her social and adventuring needs could be met.

This was established early-on. She was an adventure-loving energetic type, but since becoming a ghost she cannot leave room 202 so she had to become a NEET. If I was unable to leave the house, I sure wouldn't spend my days sitting on my hands, I'd be on the internet and playing video games too.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

By the way, this is a great idea for modern ghost stories: 'A ghost teabagged me in CoD~'

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I enjoyed episode 4 despite the blistering pace. It was pleasantly surprising to find that Juugo is a character in his own right, with his own motivations and flaws, rather than just a heroic cipher for the others to play off.

Tensai is pretty great and I can but hope she continues to be involved in every episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This show's got some weird pacing. Also no ruins this week either :(

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
That was an... interesting episode. Not much happened, but a few more people were introduced.

With this episode we are just short of halfway. I really want this to go on longer, since it is fairly good.

Question for those who have read the LN: Will the anime catch up to it in 6 more episodes? It really isn't going too fast, so it seems it might be.

ViggyNash posted:

This show's got some weird pacing. Also no ruins this week either :(

It looks like we will get some next week... along with obligatory ~HOT SPRINGS EPISODE~ :sparkles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
It weirds me out whenever they show them playing Tekken.

I was expecting older red-haired woman from the OP to be something more impressive than the landlord, but I suppose it is too early to say whether or not she's got some bigger connections.

Tensai's still the best, and I'm kinda liking Juugo less from this episode. Both in how he treated Yukihime, who he apparently views as close to an older sister, and the way he handled the delivery job because his fear and lying seemed pathetic.

• Locked thread