Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Strong Mouse posted:

It looks like we will get some next week... along with obligatory ~HOT SPRINGS EPISODE~ :sparkles:

Better: ~HOT SPRINGS RUINS~ :sparkles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

Better: ~HOT SPRINGS RUINS~ :sparkles:

That's not a good thing, because that translates to a "water is lava" themed ruin. That wouldn't be very relaxing.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

That's not a good thing, because that translates to a "water is lava" themed ruin. That wouldn't be very relaxing.

Just you wait, the treasure is going to be a freeze ray or something and the club president is going to channel his inner Dr Horrible and double-cross Juugo and Tensai again :unsmigghh:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

Just you wait, the treasure is going to be a freeze ray or something and the club president is going to channel his inner Dr Horrible and double-cross Juugo and Tensai again :unsmigghh:

It's too bad Tensai and Juugo aren't idiots or they'd fall for it again.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

booksnake posted:

Tensai's still the best, and I'm kinda liking Juugo less from this episode. Both in how he treated Yukihime, who he apparently views as close to an older sister, and the way he handled the delivery job because his fear and lying seemed pathetic.

I felt like a lot of that pathetic stuff was him playing up his "i'm just a nobody, not an heir to a massive thief guild, don't mind me" identity. Yeah he was trying to get Shuu to go along with him but he really was going into a seriously dangerous place totally unarmed so that's pretty reasonable.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah. I think he was over-dramatically sand-bagging it too. I wish we'd see the real Juugo. We're not seeing very much of the real one. So, we don't really know what he's all about except he says that he doesn't follow his father's and his father's organization's ideals, never has, and is "out for himself".

He doesn't act that way though. This anime would be really good if they finally do reveal that he's been acting this whole time and has had some evil master plan that finally comes to fruition, and it actually loving works. I would love to see him treating Nanana like he does all this while, taking her poo poo and buying her pudding, and all the while he's playing her. Finally, the plot thickens, and he fucks her over, hard. That would be a good story.

I seriously doubt that will happened because the harem, cute genius detective, trap-antics, and evil club president act will take precedent over any actually decent storyline being told.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

It's got a pretty good story so far and at least it's not Mahouka :colbert:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dan7el posted:

He doesn't act that way though. This anime would be really good if they finally do reveal that he's been acting this whole time and has had some evil master plan that finally comes to fruition, and it actually loving works. I would love to see him treating Nanana like he does all this while, taking her poo poo and buying her pudding, and all the while he's playing her. Finally, the plot thickens, and he fucks her over, hard. That would be a good story.

It might not, but I'm just enjoying it while it lasts. It's really fun to have a anime protagonist guy not a hot-blooded shounen spirit dude, but a bad guy, and not a cold-blooded, calculating mastermind bad guy, or a socially underdeveloped hikikomori creep, but just sort of a jerk.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 9, 2014

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Dan7el posted:

Yeah. I think he was over-dramatically sand-bagging it too. I wish we'd see the real Juugo. We're not seeing very much of the real one. So, we don't really know what he's all about except he says that he doesn't follow his father's and his father's organization's ideals, never has, and is "out for himself".

You mean, it would be a pretty drat crappy story.

He -is- trying to do something via Nanana, and it's probably "i want to screw her over", though maybe he wants to prove to himself he can do something good for once (E.G, that he hasn't completely lost his dream).

However, Nanana is -much- more experienced than he is at seeing through traitors and manipulating people, and the same is true for Tensai. It's not to say Juugo sucks- he is actually pretty drat incredible at it too. It's just that Nanana is literally best adventurer of the last century, and Tensai best detective.

Juugo, OTOH, is probably going to end up Best Robin Hood.

quote:

I seriously doubt that will happened because the harem, cute genius detective, trap-antics, and evil club president act will take precedent over any actually decent storyline being told.
Or because it's not a harem power-fantasy so far where only the MC is allowed to have an impact on the world, and so his current plans to make a crazy heist and show his family he is better than them will probably end up with him doing a crazy heist and realizing that he still believes in his old dreams, so when Tensai catch him and Nanana goes "All as planned", he will team up against [We don't know].

Sorry, but i just -loath- harem stuff where the MC is the only character with agency, and Nanana so far has been a great show where -everyone- has their own goals and dreams.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The series has the Index problem of having way too many characters and overly complex plot points that only loosely tie together. Other than that it's been pretty enjoyable.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think my fundamental problem with this show is that it's all over the place, and same with Juugo's characterisation. The question is, is it because he is a complex character, perfectly 2-faced and appealing to the prejudices of everyone around him? Or is he just written by committee to do whatever is required at that moment in the show.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
I kind of wonder if this anime will end up like some sort of Malatora fiction.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
MORE RUINS!

Also, betting that Juugo/his partners are the ones with the real treasure.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

MORE RUINS!

Also, betting that Juugo/his partners are the ones with the real treasure.

Juugo has a history of betraying his partners in order to get the treasure for himself, and Tensai already commented that Juugo was acting like he had already done that puzzle so my guess is Juugo sent himself the treasure by mail, but Tensai redirected it to her own place

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There's no evidence for that last bit (all we saw was Juugo handing them the package then Tensai commenting on it), but there's no doubt that she knows.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

There's no evidence for that last bit (all we saw was Juugo handing them the package then Tensai commenting on it), but there's no doubt that she knows.

Yeah, hence why it's a guess. She knew from the get go it was suspicious, so i believe she would have done something about it. After all, that's what a proper Master Detective does.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Am I a broken person if the first thing I think every time I see the gears is, "Who the gently caress maintains this poo poo?"

EDIT: "Yup, bad call." :laugh:

I am cackling like a madman here.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 15, 2014

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

Am I a broken person if the first thing I think every time I see the gears is, "Who the gently caress maintains this poo poo?"
I think basically the same thing. First, I wonder how the gently caress she built such elaborate traps? Then, I wonder how they stayed such perfect working order for all these years. I mean, that foam spraying tube thing? Really? The nozzles didn't get gunked up over time?

Plus, the sheer engineering involved. And what, she was like 20 when she died? She went out and got all these amazing treasures, started a city, and built all these incredible treasure traps in that short period of time?

Yeah. It's pretty obvious Juugo already got the item from the trap. I don't know if the genius detective has already foiled his plan, but I wouldn't be surprised. I would like to see Juugo be proficient at something, though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dan7el posted:

I think basically the same thing. First, I wonder how the gently caress she built such elaborate traps? Then, I wonder how they stayed such perfect working order for all these years. I mean, that foam spraying tube thing? Really? The nozzles didn't get gunked up over time?

Plus, the sheer engineering involved. And what, she was like 20 when she died? She went out and got all these amazing treasures, started a city, and built all these incredible treasure traps in that short period of time?

It was already mentioned in the series that many of the ruins only appeared after her death, e.g. the first one shown at the school. The school was built 6 years ago, while Nanana was killed 10 years ago.
I'm working with the idea that the ruins are magical constructs that just appear from nothing or take over the space. The foam/spider one certainly seemed to be warping space.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

... magic?

The show has already established that exists.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dan7el posted:

I mean, that foam spraying tube thing? Really? The nozzles didn't get gunked up over time?

We had jacuzzi jets in our bath when I was a kid. We were never allowed to use them because every time you did they ended up clogged and cleaning them was a bitch.

This is the literal definition of hell for a ten year old.

ViggyNash posted:

... magic?

The show has already established that exists.

If you're going to magic up the place why even bother with cogs and gears and stuff to begin with?
(because it makes for a cool visual, obv.)

Okay, seriously: this show feels kind of schizophrenic with the whole magic/tech thing. You know, sometimes you mix the two and it ends up kinda weird and jarring in a good way, and other times it's just sort of bland but serviceable (see: every magic high school show), but here I just come away feeling that the author just upended a box of plot elements instead of going through any actual world-building process.

Not that I really give a gently caress because the show's super fun, but I think it could have done with either dropping the magic thing or going all in on it.

Like they did the whole Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider tomb raiding thing except it's not actual ruins or whatever, no, that all happened off-screen and instead we're getting mock replica ruins to raid. Which is this weird nested unreality thing for no reason and you're just sitting there going why.

I don't even think it's so they can set it in a high school because they're not leveraging that at all. :shrug:

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Dan7el posted:

Yeah. It's pretty obvious Juugo already got the item from the trap. I don't know if the genius detective has already foiled his plan, but I wouldn't be surprised. I would like to see Juugo be proficient at something, though.

My personal theory is that Juugo refuses to do what he is best at. Tensai will continue to beat him as long as Juugo only focus on what isn't his main talent, i feel, as they seem both equally talented- except Juugo has 'lost his dream', and as such doesn't go to the same lengths and doesn't put the same effort into it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Arkeus posted:

My personal theory is that Juugo refuses to do what he is best at. Tensai will continue to beat him as long as Juugo only focus on what isn't his main talent, i feel, as they seem both equally talented- except Juugo has 'lost his dream', and as such doesn't go to the same lengths and doesn't put the same effort into it.

So what you're saying is he should become the Phantom Thief/Lupin/Moriarty to Tensai's Holmes. I could buy that, especially given he already has a thief crew backing him.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

If you're going to magic up the place why even bother with cogs and gears and stuff to begin with?
(because it makes for a cool visual, obv.)

Okay, seriously: this show feels kind of schizophrenic with the whole magic/tech thing. You know, sometimes you mix the two and it ends up kinda weird and jarring in a good way, and other times it's just sort of bland but serviceable (see: every magic high school show), but here I just come away feeling that the author just upended a box of plot elements instead of going through any actual world-building process.

Not that I really give a gently caress because the show's super fun, but I think it could have done with either dropping the magic thing or going all in on it.

Like they did the whole Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider tomb raiding thing except it's not actual ruins or whatever, no, that all happened off-screen and instead we're getting mock replica ruins to raid. Which is this weird nested unreality thing for no reason and you're just sitting there going why.

I don't even think it's so they can set it in a high school because they're not leveraging that at all. :shrug:

Is "magicpunk" a defined term? I've never seen it before if it is. You could probably use that to describe something like Final Fantasy too.

And speaking of high school, that one bookish girl he met on the first day had not been so much as mentioned since her 5 minutes of screentime. :shrug:

e: Unexpected as the whole Sherlock Holmes cat-and-mouse game is, I think it could be an improvement granted they get their priorities straight.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 16, 2014

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'm just praying that the pudding shipment was a decoy and he had the treasure shipped FedEX in a cheap cardboard box. Come on dude, how many times are you going to let Tensai punk you before you wise up? There wasn't even any reason to return it to the inn to ship it, unless the fantasy make-believe island doesn't have mailboxes.

Besides, "I woke up early to get pudding" probably doesn't even work as an excuse. It was a weekend, so Tensai will probably say the place was closed until noon or some poo poo. Resort towns are like that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vengarr posted:

I'm just praying that the pudding shipment was a decoy and he had the treasure shipped FedEX in a cheap cardboard box. Come on dude, how many times are you going to let Tensai punk you before you wise up? There wasn't even any reason to return it to the inn to ship it, unless the fantasy make-believe island doesn't have mailboxes.

Besides, "I woke up early to get pudding" probably doesn't even work as an excuse. It was a weekend, so Tensai will probably say the place was closed until noon or some poo poo. Resort towns are like that.

My guess is that he actually sent real pudding along with it. The truth is always the best lie. Not that she wouldn't intercept it anyway.

...you mean it' just like Indiana Jones?

I do think they're leveraging the school club thing though. What other motivation would these chronic backstabbers have to hang out with each other? I think the fact that they're all ostensibly friends with each other and only looking for these things for fun while secretly plotting to screw each other over and take over the world is kind of the whole point. Honestly I'd call that more important than the ruins or treasures themselves.

I guess you could do that in a non-school environment but it wouldn't have quite the same feeling to it. I mean, a team of archaeologists or whatever wouldn't have quite the same "trapped together" feel, and making it their job instead of a hobby changes things too. Plus there's an excuse for why the ruins are so plentiful and easily found.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
New episode out!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

No fuckin' way. That's awesome.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Suddenly, Star Driver. :psyduck:

This really is the strangest show.

e: VV You might as well thrown in No Game No Life, if you're watching that (and didn't puke at the fanservice). So many wonderfully strange shows this season.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 22, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
This really is the most enjoyably confusing show. I like that it encourages you to think about the characters cynically, though.

Chaika, Nananana, and Jojo. Wed through Fridays are my happy days this season.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

ViggyNash posted:

Suddenly, Star Driver. :psyduck:

That whole episode was pretty good, but this was my favorite part.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The plot for this show defies any attempt to nail it down, but my current train of speculation is that Nanana isn't really dead/isn't simply a ghost. The big bulbous necklace she wears is a piece of Nanana's collection that's responsible for her state somehow. Maybe it gives her ghost-like abilities, or she's a real ghost and it's responsible for keeping her on this plain or something.

In any event, in a series about magic artifacts, it's way too prominent to not be a chekov's gun. It's definitely going to turn out to be part of Nanana's collection in the end.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Speaking of that pendant thing, there was a proper close-up of it in the new episode.

Odd crystal-flower-like thing inside.

And a new character that feels more like a proper villain.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Wonder if the arc involving this guy will last out the season. This was one of the NoitaminA shows this season right? Only 3 episodes left then.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Yeah, this is an eleven episode show. And they introduced a new major character today, in episode 8. What.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's based on a light novel. LN adaptations are usually structured into 3-4 episode arcs based around individual novels. This is obviously the start of the third volume (maybe 4th if they abbreviated some fillery stuff in 5-7), and will have its own self-contained 4 episode arc. Probably won't resolve the series in any meaningful way, but will have its own emotional climax just like episodes 4 and 7.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Clarste posted:

It's based on a light novel. LN adaptations are usually structured into 3-4 episode arcs based around individual novels. This is obviously the start of the third volume (maybe 4th if they abbreviated some fillery stuff in 5-7), and will have its own self-contained 4 episode arc. Probably won't resolve the series in any meaningful way, but will have its own emotional climax just like episodes 4 and 7.

That makes sense then. The LNs are probably plotted out for quite a few volumes with the actual planned ending likely several books away from wherever this series ends. A manga adaptation might have been better as a result though since the series doesn't seem like it'll have a very satisfying climax given the entire series as a whole.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

The plot for this show defies any attempt to nail it down

I'm not sure it even knows what it wants to be. Not much has really happened in these 8 episodes, and there's nothing that hints at where the show's trying to go next. beyond making the new guy an antagonist of some sort.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly I think I would have preferred the show just being about the president, detective, and protagonist constantly trying to screw each other over instead of introducing a real villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Not sure he's actually a villain, or just an rear end in a top hat. If you think of him as "former Adventure Club member" instead "mysterious trenchcoat guy" then I think he fits right in as yet another side in their conflict. Kinda weird that the entire second half was devoted to him introducing himself to everyone though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread