Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm heading off on an adventure across America with two friends, two tents, some cooking equipment, and a van, for the month of May. To save cash, I'll be doing a good bit of cooking whenever we camp, and need some ideas on interesting camp foods to prepare.

The gear I have is 1 saucepan, 1 fryingpan, a 2 burner Coleman camp stove (propane), foil, tupperware, cheap bamboo kitchenware, rolled cutting board, knives, and a set of cheap utensils for everyone. I'll have a cooler and a pantry box, which will be filled with:

Not quite Perishables:
Olive Oil, Basalmic Vinegar, Mustard, White Sugar, Salt, Pepper, variety of spices (Chilli Paprika Garlic Basil) Siracha, Cans of Tuna or Chicken, Ramen Noodles, Pasta, Red Beans, Basmati Rice, Can Green Beans, Canned Crushed Tomato, Canned Fruit Cocktail, Flour, Choc. Chips, Marshmallows, Cookies, Coffee, Granola Bars, Soda, Water.

Perishables:
Bread, Tortillas, Citrus Fruit, Onion, Veg of choice, Cheese of choice, MEEEAAATTT (plan to use COMPLETELY within 2 days of purchase), Butter, Eggs, Bacon, Milk

Perishables will go into the cooler, with a cold bag reserved for meat. Perishables will be bought as needed in quantities that will be plan to be eaten within 4 days with the exception of Onion, Citrus, and Cheese. I wont be buying anything that needs freezing, or in any kind of huge bulk. The idea is to keep us happily in breakfasts, sandwiches, road snacks, and dinners for a month, with restaurant visits saved for really awesome eating destinations if possible. I will consider this a success if we avoid the siren call of McDonalds.

I'm pretty comfortable cooking and handling food, as I prepare a lot of family meals from scratch. I roast a darn good turkey and make biscuits that make a southern grandma proud. I'm used to a real oven for that though. Aside from some grilling outside, I'm used to having a full kitchen. Anyone have any familiarity with camp cooking and want to share their tips, tricks, or recipes? Any suggestions of what to put in my traveling pantry? The guys i'm traveling with have professed to eat and like anything, but I want to stay away from crappy instant meals and hotdog casserole. I'd love to try grilling some whole fish, and eating some weirder game meats if I come across them in my travels. The ramen is for emergencies. I'll be keeping an eye out for a used cast-iron pan.

Thanks!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I always make eggs and pancakes for breakfasts when camping. Just bring a plastic container with all of the dry ingredients premixed, then add egg and milk and cook. Cold-cuts, cheese, and a loaf of pre-sliced bread makes an easy lunch (or make BLTs if you feel adventurous.

If you have a large ice chest/cooler, fill up an empty plastic beverage containers (such as 2 liter soda, or just plastic water bottles) with water. Keep it in your freezer before you leave for a few days to freeze it solid. That will keep your cooler cold, and as it slowly melts you have clean, cold water to drink.

Didn't see a Weber or other bbq on your list, I don't know how you can cook biscuits on top of a propane grill. They sell small Webers for $30, just put lit charcoal on one half, and the food on the opposite side, and it creates an oven.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You should pick up a cheap dutch oven and ditch the saucepan, especially if you plan on cooking on a fire at all. Also, you can make amazing drop biscuits in a dutch oven.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Maybe even a cast-iron griddle you can fit across both burners to make that Coleman worth a poo poo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Saucepan is going to get a lot of use heating up water for coffee. I have a French Press and a quarter pound of Costa Rican Blue Mountain. The dutch oven's a good thought though, I'll keep an eye out.

I will be looking for a griddle as well, but i'm leary of going all cast iron, as all this stuff has to travel, and I will be donating most of it to GoodWill after the trip, as we're driving from Florida to California, and then I fly home. The Coleman and the French Press are pretty much the only things that are required to make it on the plane home.

Any recipes you guys know of? I know a pretty good fish-camp fry I want to try. You bread the fish in potato chips and cereal.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 28, 2014

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Good luck getting the stove on a plane, in my experience they don't tend to let anything that had fuel in it/around it on there. You may have to end up mailing it back.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Massasoit posted:

Good luck getting the stove on a plane, in my experience they don't tend to let anything that had fuel in it/around it on there. You may have to end up mailing it back.

It's bottle propane, which will be discarded. I had worried about that, but the airline says it's fine so long as there's no fuel bottle. And that's five bucks, no big loss.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's late notice but if you plan to have a fire at all at some point instead of a dinky coleman stove, you should look into a reflector oven. You can make actual baked goods like bannock or cook fish, meat, braise a thing, whatever.

Bring along some powdered milk. No, it's not as good but it gets the job done. A sachet or two of instant mashed potatoes wouldn't hurt. They'll bulk out a meal or thicken a stew gone wrong. Calories are calories.

Instead of having granola bars, maybe make some flapjacks ahead of time.

Smoked sausages will keep well enough in travel and make breakfasts easier. Eggs do better than you would think.

Get a big roll of heavy duty tinfoil. You seem to be going by car and it has a lot of uses. Ditto ditto duct tape. You can wrap the duct tape around something like a shovel, it won't mind.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

angerbot posted:

Instead of having granola bars, maybe make some flapjacks ahead of time.
I searched this on Google and Wikipedia says that "in other countries, including Canada, the United States, and South Africa, such products are referred to as 'granola bars'." What's a flapjack if it's not a granola bar?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I searched this on Google and Wikipedia says that "in other countries, including Canada, the United States, and South Africa, such products are referred to as 'granola bars'." What's a flapjack if it's not a granola bar?

I immediately thought of thick pancakes; I had no idea flapjack meant anything else. I was a little confused by the idea, but also amused by the thought of some guy packing huge containers of pancakes for a road trip. :3:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
flapjacks are thick pancakes? what is this granola bar nonsense

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I make pancakes ahead of time and freeze them, but that's at home. I figured he was either talking out of his rear end or meant something else.

Camp cooking is going well! Burnt a bit of bacon, but I figured it out pretty quick. I really want thicker pans, aluminum is poo poo on the gas burner.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flapjack_%28oat_bar%29 :shrug:

You can add whatever you like to them, which makes it easier to have as a ready-go snack. That or GORP.

And yeah aluminum pans aren't great, they're just light.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

angerbot posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flapjack_%28oat_bar%29 :shrug:

You can add whatever you like to them, which makes it easier to have as a ready-go snack. That or GORP.

And yeah aluminum pans aren't great, they're just light.
Okay but that link you just gave us says that they are known as "granola bars" in the country I live in, so I'm asking why you said "don't get granola bars, make flapjacks." Because I still don't know what a flapjack is if it's not a granola bar.

stzy
Apr 20, 2014
I usually pack oats. Make oatmeal or toss it in with other cooking. If I know I'm gonna feel lazy I just bring instant flavoured oatmeal for breakfast at least.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Okay but that link you just gave us says that they are known as "granola bars" in the country I live in, so I'm asking why you said "don't get granola bars, make flapjacks." Because I still don't know what a flapjack is if it's not a granola bar.

maybe the words "granola bars" in the UK refer to pancakes. everything about his post would make sense then. I think.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

mindphlux posted:

maybe the words "granola bars" in the UK refer to pancakes. everything about his post would make sense then. I think.

In the UK, it would be "granoula bars" :eng101:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Campside curry is super easy and one pot.

Can of thai curry (pick a color)
add to pot, cook til fragrant,
add meat, coconut milk and water/stock
add veggies
add rice or noodle to thicken if you want
place into bowl.
eat.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Foil packs are tasty and easy campfire food.

If you're looking for cheap cast iron go to a farm supply store like Atwoods or similar. I bought my cast iron pan for $10 and dutch oven for $20 from there.

Lord_Brand_X
Nov 3, 2009
Premeasure your pancake/biscuit mix into gallon ziploc bags. Write the amounts of water/milk/oil/eggs you need to add to the mix on the outside of the bags in permanent marker. When you are ready to prepare, measure your wets and add them to the bag. Zip it up and mix it around by mashing the bag.

Carefully cut a corner off the bag and pipe your pancakes onto the griddle(frying pan) or your biscuits into the oven or your dumplings into your soup, etc.

Either wash the bag out and use it to contain dirty clothes, trash, whatever or just throw it out. I love this because my food is premeasured, there are less dishes clean and less boxes of stuff to store.

You can do even more with gallon zips. Measure out some minute rice as above. Add some dried blueberries or dried strawberries or whatever dried fruit and/or nuts and powdered milk you want. Zip it up and write out how much boiling water you need to add to "cook" the rice.

When you're ready, boil up the water and add it to the bag. zip up the bag and mash it around to evenly wet the contents. Set the bag into a clean pot, a sweater, jacket or anything that will keep it from cooling off too fast.

Now work your french press with the rest of the boiling water. 15 minutes later enjoy your breakfast.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
ChuckHead posted:
First you probably want 3 types of food storage:

Cold/Wet - liquids, milk and juice stored in a cooler with ice.
Cold/Dry - meat, butter and cheese. I have a small electric (12VDC) cooler for this. It cools while we drive we use frozen cold packs to completely fill the cooler, It will stay much colder while stationary the more packed it is.
Cool/Dry - bread, cereal, crackers. Coolers are nice if it is going to be hot.
That some good advice from Lord Brand.

Every camping trip my family has it's chicken n dumplings first night.

Buy chicken parts with bones/skin on, vegetables, herbs and canned biscuit dough. Simmer chicken in a pot until it starts to fall apart (90 min) take chicken out and remove bones, skin, whatever. Return chicken and add vegetables, herbs and biscuit dough rounds cut into 8 little pie shaped pieces. and to pot and simmer covered for 20 minutes. uncover for 10 min. Done.

It is the most awesome camp food. We usually buy a whole chicken for this and the 3 of us eat the whole thing. I don't know why we never make this at home.

I think your taste will change camping, at least that is my experience. So it is probably better to not plan meals ahead too much.

ChuckHead fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 27, 2014

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
Double post.

ChuckHead fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 27, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When I camp, it's usually backpacking in the Sierras. Here's what I bring:

Beans
Rice
Salt
Tea
Tobacco w/pipe
Water filtration device / iodine tabs
Premade spice mix of granulated garlic, hot chiles, black pepper, cumin
Small pot
Tinfoil
A fishing pole w/bait

I obtain the majority of my protein by fishing for trout and/or crawfish in the abundant waters of the Sierras. I totally would not ever bring a small gun and shoot squirrels or rabbits or anything like that because that wouldn't be allowed by some state and federal laws I'm certain but if it were why by gosh I'm sure it would be tasty. Dried beans go in an extra Nalgene bottle at the beginning of the day and slosh around in there with water during the hike and they're ready to cook with the rice in the evening. There's good foraging for vegetables and such if you know what you're doing (don't go eating poison sumac or anything). It's pretty good. If I'm doing a long trip via canoe or some other luxurious method, that's when I'll bring along flour and powdered milk, etc., and do fireside pancakes and so forth.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Pre-soaking in a Nalgene? Decadent bourgeoise bastard.

I use some twist-cap thingy that should have died years ago but keeps plugging on for free at maybe half the weight of a Nalgene.

But I still use a brace is original clearish white Nalgenes for my drinking water because I am apparently too curmudgeonly to get something light weight. Hikers have the weirdest mix of preferences.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Butch Cassidy posted:

Pre-soaking in a Nalgene? Decadent bourgeoise bastard.

I use some twist-cap thingy that should have died years ago but keeps plugging on for free at maybe half the weight of a Nalgene.

But I still use a brace is original clearish white Nalgenes for my drinking water because I am apparently too curmudgeonly to get something light weight. Hikers have the weirdest mix of preferences.

Those are all my Nalgenes. Early to mid-nineties vintage. Well, one finally broke actually so I had to buy one of those modern ones but it's not nearly as good.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I would never eat these things at home, but boxed mac & cheese mixed with fried Spam tastes heavenly when you're camping.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Those are all my Nalgenes. Early to mid-nineties vintage. Well, one finally broke actually so I had to buy one of those modern ones but it's not nearly as good.

Tell me about it. I wrote them an e-mail after I hosed up and ruined my old one:

quote:

Good day,

I am writing to you today as a Nalgene enthusiast. On my birthday in 2004, I was gifted a 32 oz. Nalgene water bottle commemorating the UConn men's and women's NCAA Tournament championship victories. Since that day, that water bottle had no peers. It had a large capacity, was extremely durable, and provided a personal link to the good times I spent at my alma mater.

This water bottle lasted over 9 years, which is a testament to the Nalgene name and an overwhelming example of its superiority in the water bottle hierarchy. Sadly, its time was cut short when I put the bottle in the freezer to chill the water within before I ventured to my gym. Unfortunately plans changed and I never made it to the gym. Even more unfortunately, I absentmindedly neglected to remove the bottle from my freezer and did not discover its fate until the following morning.

I'm not going to lie - I was (and am) crestfallen. My faithful gym companion met a grisly death when the ice expanded and split a vertical seam into the rigid plastic. I have attached a picture of the carnage so that someone may share in my grief.

After suffering an extreme pang of loss, I knew what had to be done. I immediately drove to the nearest sporting good store (which happened to be The Sports Authority), and made my way to their display of water bottles. There, in all their glory, were bright and shiny 32 oz. Nalgene water bottles. I immediately grabbed one in Spring Green (the only color they stocked in the 32 oz. size) and joyously checked out, thrilled I had been so quickly able to fill the Nalgene-sized hole in my heart.

However, all is not well. After several days of use, I have come to the conclusion that the Spring Green color does not suit me. Every time I look at it, I am filled with a feeling of dependable, reassuring quality...and disgust. I miss the dark blue bottle with the white cap that had so staunchly performed for so long. The neon-like green color of this new bottle is far too gaudy for me to retain it.

That is where I come to you to ask for help. In my delirious stupor directly after its purchase, I brazenly threw away the receipt, and as Spring Green was the only color The Sports Authority stocked, it would do me no good to exchange the product there even if they allowed me to do so without the receipt.

Would it be at all possible to directly exchange this bottle for one of a different color? I am willing and able to cover all postage required to send this back to your company. I fear I will require a quick resolution to this issue; I could not sleep last night, and as I tossed and turned in my bed, the light spilling in from the streetlamp outside bathed the bottle in a sickly glow, accentuating its harsh, lime-like hue. As I said, I am a true Nalgene enthusiast, and would greatly appreciate any and all possible avenues to ensure that I can once again be proud of my water bottle, as well as rest as soundly as I used to be able to when I still had my dearly departed blue bottle.

I sincerely thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,
The Midniter

They sent me a replacement free of charge which was very nice of them. Then the ring holding the loop connecting the cap with the neck of the bottle snapped the gently caress off three days later. Wrote them about it, they sent a replacement cap...same loving thing happened. Now I just deal with a lid that comes completely off. Not to mention something weird happened when I went trail running with it...not sure if it was the heat from my hands or something but the plastic actually warped. It now bubbles out on the side, all misshapen.

Come back to us old Nalgene :cry:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Come back to us old Nalgene :cry:

This is the bottle you're looking for. Like the old fashioned, sort of soft ones. Have to order them online since I've never seen one in a store (which is how I ended up with that silly "every day" one.)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

E: ^^^ My local outfitter still carries those last I checked. They are the best.

My brother once ran over an - Eddie Bauer, I think - Nalgene knockoff with a skidder. He popped the side back out to as round as it would ever be from then on and still uses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Bubbacub posted:

I would never eat these things at home, but boxed mac & cheese mixed with fried Spam tastes heavenly when you're camping.

I like that too, especially with turkey spam. A similar thing which I'd never ever do at home is bring some Lipton instant soup packets, cut fresh-caught fish fillets into cubes and cook them in the soup - quick and easy and a nice change after a week of fried or foiled fish twice a day.

• Locked thread