Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When I camp, it's usually backpacking in the Sierras. Here's what I bring:

Beans
Rice
Salt
Tea
Tobacco w/pipe
Water filtration device / iodine tabs
Premade spice mix of granulated garlic, hot chiles, black pepper, cumin
Small pot
Tinfoil
A fishing pole w/bait

I obtain the majority of my protein by fishing for trout and/or crawfish in the abundant waters of the Sierras. I totally would not ever bring a small gun and shoot squirrels or rabbits or anything like that because that wouldn't be allowed by some state and federal laws I'm certain but if it were why by gosh I'm sure it would be tasty. Dried beans go in an extra Nalgene bottle at the beginning of the day and slosh around in there with water during the hike and they're ready to cook with the rice in the evening. There's good foraging for vegetables and such if you know what you're doing (don't go eating poison sumac or anything). It's pretty good. If I'm doing a long trip via canoe or some other luxurious method, that's when I'll bring along flour and powdered milk, etc., and do fireside pancakes and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Butch Cassidy posted:

Pre-soaking in a Nalgene? Decadent bourgeoise bastard.

I use some twist-cap thingy that should have died years ago but keeps plugging on for free at maybe half the weight of a Nalgene.

But I still use a brace is original clearish white Nalgenes for my drinking water because I am apparently too curmudgeonly to get something light weight. Hikers have the weirdest mix of preferences.

Those are all my Nalgenes. Early to mid-nineties vintage. Well, one finally broke actually so I had to buy one of those modern ones but it's not nearly as good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Come back to us old Nalgene :cry:

This is the bottle you're looking for. Like the old fashioned, sort of soft ones. Have to order them online since I've never seen one in a store (which is how I ended up with that silly "every day" one.)

• Locked thread