Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Marvel Dice Masters is a newly released collectible game by Mike Elliot (Quarriors, Thunderstone, and some M:TG) and Eric Lang (A bunch of random poo poo for a bunch of companies), and published by WizKids. Now, "collectible" is something of a dirty word in games these days, with most of the successful ones either being ancient colossi like Magic or adoption the new living card game model. MDM takes on a slightly different (but not too different) approach to the original formula; You only need one of each card for a complete playset, and your "deck" is only 8 cards.

Instead of a traditional TCG deck, each player brings eight character cards and two basic action cards to the table, and all of these are open knowledge. In fact, players even have access to their opponent's basic actions! On top of each of those cards is somewhere from 1 to 4 dice, depending on the card, and those dice are what make up the TCG-analogue deck.

If you've ever played a deckbuilding board game (Quarriors, Dominion, etc.), the rest of the game will start to feel very familiar to you. On your turn you draw four dice from your bag and roll 'em. At the start of the game, these dice are going to be bland "sidekick" die, which feature one of each of the game's energy resources (Mask, Bolt, Shield, and Fist), as well as a wildcard side that can act as any resource and an actual sidekick character side. You can then reroll any number of these dice once, and with the final result either buy dice off your character/action cards, sending them to your discard pile to come up later in typical deckbuilder fashion, or "field" your character-sided die, sometimes activating special effects and readying them for combat. In your opening hands this will strictly be the free-to-field sidekick characters, but as those characters you presumably have been buying start working their way through your deck, you'll be able to field more and more powerful units.

Once you have your character engine underway, you can start really mixing it up. Characters have three stats on their die, with the top-left being their energy cost to field, the top right being their attack value, and the bottom right being their defense value. Combat works similar to Magic, where the attacking player announces which characters in their Field zone are going to be attacking, and then the defending player announces and assigns die in their Field to block the attackers. Damage is resolved simultaneously, and any character who took more damage than they had defense is KOed and sent to the Prep area. Ones that didn't take that much damage are returned to the Field, and ones that went completely unblocked are sent to the Used (discard) pile. Any die that are in your Prep area at the start of your turn are added to and rolled with your 4-die "hand," allowing for potentially explosive turns. Confused? Maybe this handy playmat will clear things up a bit:

Deckbuilding

Deckbuilding in MDM is, as you'd expect from a game with so few cards in play, pretty simple. You could probably make a functioning deck by just picking your eight favorite characters, slapping on some dice, and sitting down to play. That said, there's a few restrictions and tips you should be aware of:

1) No repeat characters: Every character in the game has, at least, three different versions - Common, Uncommon, and Rare - with a few having starter deck variants and four lucky heroes/villains having a coveted Ultra Rare version. That said, because each character only has one die type regardless of the card rarity you're using, you can't double dip. No 4 Wolverine/4 Black Widow decks, I'm afraid.

2) The total deck dice limit is 20: Even though each character card has a specific dice limit printed on it in the bottom-right corner (this changes based on card version, so be sure to check it!), there's still a team construction limit of 20 dice total. Note that this doesn't include the three dice that will be on each of your basic actions.

3) Buying expensive dice is hard: The game is new, but evidence is already pointing at low cost, fast rush strategies are going to set the pace. If it's taking you 4 shuffles to even start buying the centerpiece for your deck's gameplan then you probably aren't going to live long enough to make it happen. Low-cost characters that provide solid defense and useful energy types (Beast: Mutate 666 being the current hotness for any deck that requires Mask energies to do anything) will both keep you alive and help you accelerate towards those big characters.

4) Be careful with Global powers: Cards that have powers listed as Global mean that both players have access to them. These effects are often incredibly powerful, and sometimes even make it difficult to use the cards they're printed on, like Magneto who buffs all your villain dice, but whose global lets either player pay to reroll a villain die (including their opponent's). Generally you want to aim to make your Globals useful for you, but not particularly useful to be used against you by most other decks. But even then, with characters like Magneto, you can still make it work if you're aware of it and play accordingly.

Collectible Model

While only needing one of each card for a playset is nice, the game isn't without ways of making you buy more. Each pack of cards only contains two cards (and a die for each), and there's also no easy way to get dice outside of buying packs or finding someone who has extras. Starter decks come with full sets for each of the characters in it, but there's another 20+ characters who aren't featured anywhere in there that you need to buy packs to get dice for. Now, I bought a booster box and almost had a complete playset of dice (3-4+ for each character), but there were still a few holes. This definitely might turn someone off. Mike Elliot actually wrote up an interesting short piece about why they went with the collectible model instead of the LCG model for this game, so if that sort of thing appeals to you, take a look:

Mike Elliot posted:

While LCGs, Deckbuilders, and other "card games in a box" are very popular, most mass market stores will rarely touch a game in the $30 or more range, and certainly not in any significant quantities. Most of these stores want low price point items that can be bought on impulse purchase.

Could this game have been a box game with 200 dice and 150 cards? Possibly, but it would have been close to a $100 game and a "different" angry mob would be complaining about the price point.

Additionally, the starter decks themselves contain essential cards/dice to play the game regardless of which characters you choose. However, they were short printed and basically impossible to find right now. Wizkids has done a great job communicating about this over the last week and assures that a small shipment will be hitting stores this next week, and then a notably larger one two weeks after that, but we'll see. Fortunately, as a stopgap, they also posted a pdf which offers ways to proxy all the essential cards/dice if you have booster packs but not starters. I've been using the method described and, while it isn't the best thing ever (since the odds of you having die that feel like or are the same size as those used for characters are pretty slim), it's worked well enough and I've gotten in plenty of games.

Here's the document if you want to use it.

so many dice, so little time

The Current Hotness

Like with any card game, MDM's meta is already well into development within the first few days. While things are in an exciting state of flux, a few bits of info seem to be commonly agreed upon. Here's a few of the cards and combos that you can expect people to be using early on.

Nova (Quasar) + Human Torch (Johnny Storm): Pretty much the first combo people talked about seriously. The idea is that you have both Nova and Torch fielded, and every time you field anyone else (including Sidekicks) you use Torch to do a point of damage to your opponent and to Nova, triggering Nova's draw ability. I feel this deck is going to really define the early meta since the cards are easy to get and it sort of plays itself in many situations.

Black Widow (Tsarina): Super cheap, super rare. The cornerstone for early game rush, and can easily do significant damage over the course of the game. If your deck doesn't have an answer for a hypothetical and not terribly improbable 3-Tsarina opening, you might have trouble once more people get access to this card.

Green Goblin ("Gobby"): The other particularly-scary ultra rare card. Like Tsarina, Gobby is able to pump out lots of early game damage, and most of the best counters for it cost 4-6, meaning you need to survive the initial bombing and stabilize if you want to win. More difficult to play than Tsarina (and fewer people care about GG as a character), so expect to see less of him than her, but yeah.

Storm (Wind-Rider): The card that inspired a BGG thread by yours truly, and a card I think will gain a lot of sudden notoriety after people's sticker shock from Tsarina and Gobby, and the inherent cuteness of the Nova/Torch combo, begin to fade. There's not much to say here that I don't say in that thread's OP, but let's just say that she's probably the scariest card currently that isn't rush-oriented. Probably mandatory for control archetypes right now.

F.A.Q.

This game has a bunch of weird rule interactions, most of which are directly caused by the lack of stack, so if I see people bringing up the same questions repeatedly I'll post them here.

Links for Stuff

Team Builder/Card List: An excel document that lists all the cards/dice, and has built in functionality for making a deck.
Card Inventory: An easy way to mark off which cards you have and how many die for each.
The complete rules: It's the rules. Also has a complete inventory of what to expect in a starter deck.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This seems cool, and I definitely liked Quarriors once it got some errata, but I'm not quite understanding the collectible model. In that example picutre, where there are three dice on Dr Octopus, you would have to get a Dr Octopus card in three different packs to get that amount of dice?

Do I need two starter packs if I want to have enough for two people to play?

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Nice OP! With the scarcity of starter packs, and the proxy instructions, I've been wondering just how much you'd really miss the starter cards? If you get a box of boosters, it seems like the starter characters would get replaced really fast, and aside from having to use vanilla dice for actions/pawns is there any other set back? At least until a month from now when there will be starter packs everywhere for normal price.

Also, I heard the quality of cards and dice are really crummy in this initial run with flimsy cards and smeared ink on dice. How was the quality of your box?

Swagger, from what I've read, 1 Starter pack plays 2 people.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's a lot less confusing than I probably made it sound, here's a breakdown of the different products you can buy and what comes in each:

- Booster Pack: Has two cards (can be the same character, but not the same version of a character) and one die for each of those characters. So if your pack contained the illustrious Nova/Human Torch combo, you'd get those two cards, as well as a single Human Torch and a single Nova die.

- Booster Box: Has 60 2-card booster packs.

- Starter Deck: 24 characters (3 variants of 8 characters), 10 basic action cards, 2 dice bags, 16 character die (2 for each of the 8 characters), 16 sidekick die, and 12 basic action die. Everything except the 16 character die is starter deck exclusive, and a big part of the game's problem right now, which will hopefully be fixed soon. Using the document I posted towards the end of the OP you can play without the starter deck exclusive things. Also yes, a single starter deck has enough for two players.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Campbell posted:

Nice OP! With the scarcity of starter packs, and the proxy instructions, I've been wondering just how much you'd really miss the starter cards? If you get a box of boosters, it seems like the starter characters would get replaced really fast, and aside from having to use vanilla dice for actions/pawns is there any other set back? At least until a month from now when there will be starter packs everywhere for normal price.

Also, I heard the quality of cards and dice are really crummy in this initial run with flimsy cards and smeared ink on dice. How was the quality of your box?

Swagger, from what I've read, 1 Starter pack plays 2 people.

The game is too new for me to say exactly what cards are truly important, but I think, at the very least, the starter's Beast: Mutate 666 is going to be a staple for control and other slower decks. Other than that, and the inconvenience of having to use vanilla die for a few weeks, not really.

The dice range anywhere from "pretty good and cute" to "seriously?" in terms of quality. I have significantly more good than bad, but I have a few that are just missing accent paint colors on one side or other weirdness. None that are unplayable though. The card stock itself isn't the best either, but since you never actually shuffle your cards wear isn't something I'm particularly worried about. I haven't had any smudged ink, just some bent cards that fixed themselves after being under a textbook overnight.

Unrelated, the Wolverine ultra rare I pulled from my box (first pack, no less) sold the other night for $65! Hooray for secondary markets!

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Zero action in this thread bums me out. Maybe the little hype I'd seen was just due to the starter shortage :(
Any thoughts on if this game is better/worse than quarriors?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I want to try it but it's either not actually out in my area or targets just haven't put the booster packs on shelves yet. I wouldn't be surprised if other people are having issues finding the game at all right now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
At least some of it is due to the product shortage, to be sure, but it's hard for a lot of people to justify another collectible game a lot of the time.

Apparently one of my friends managed to find some starter decks and I should have them by early next week. Hooray, no more proxying.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I liked Quarriors and I thought it would be great to get another theme of it.

Then I saw the boosters. Yikes. I am enjoying the world of buying one product and getting everything, but I know Elliot probably had to hawk off the booster scheme after seeing how much bank Heroclix can make.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
$1 for 2 dice and 2 cards seems like a genius way to make a Marvel game huge. Even if you're getting very little, it's much easier to get something for $1 then paying $4 for 8/8. I feel like this will be huge with kids and I'm gonna want to kill myself rather then go to a tournament by the end of the summer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Go to tournaments, because everyone who plays this game is a huge scrub, and I don't mean kids being kids. I started a facebook group to find players in Michigan, and everyone other than my small core group is like "I made a deck of all Doctor characters, it's undefeated in my local meta! Huh, what's "deck thinning" and why would I want to do that?"

I'll be at GenCon this year, hopefully some event gets run so I can take a completely undeserved top 32 at a major tournament.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Go to tournaments, because everyone who plays this game is a huge scrub, and I don't mean kids being kids. I started a facebook group to find players in Michigan, and everyone other than my small core group is like "I made a deck of all Doctor characters, it's undefeated in my local meta! Huh, what's "deck thinning" and why would I want to do that?"

I'll be at GenCon this year, hopefully some event gets run so I can take a completely undeserved top 32 at a major tournament.

I'm trying to get it going at my store, but the lack of available product is hurting it. It's not that there is a lot of hype, just issues with available product. This game NEEDS starters to get going. People won't get hooked on boosters without being able to get a core set to try the game with their friends. I do feel like some kind of advertising would really get this game going. It could also use an updated rule book. I'm actually glad there is a thread in SA. I came to make this thread thinking there wouldn't be one.

Got lucky enough to pull the UR Black Widow and its disgusting in the few games i've been able to try. I haven't played much but my team looks to be (and forgive me, i'm still not good with the character subtitles):

Black Widow - "Tsarina"
Nick Fury (Avengers get +1/+1)
Captain America (Sidekicks get +1/+1)
Hawkeye (When he enters play he deals damage equal to attack to character)
Hulk (Hulk or you take damage, Hulk deals 2 damage to opposing characters/players, * does 3 instead)

Haven't played a lot, but I would like to try and find a 3-drop (hopefully Avenger) character that uses wit. Haven't been able to really get the hulk going much at all, as the deck is just rush down, so he can probably be swapped for something. I need more Black Widow dice, but i'd like to try and run just 2 on Nick Fury and 3 on Captain America, and the rest into Black Widow, Hawkeye and whatever my third character ends up being. The basic action cards that give 2 characters +1/+1 (* for +2/+2) and deal 2 damage to character/opponent are also good for this team.

Edit: The one question I haven't found an answer to (using the above team): In Magic, if Hawkeye entered the field while Nick Fury is out, he enters with the +1/+1 bonus, so would he also deal the extra damage to a character?

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 2, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think your deck needs a stronger win condition, or at least, a stronger focus on it. I see your deck's current objective as "field Hulk ASAP, ideally with Fury on the field," and that's a perfectly workable goal. But characters like Hawkeye don't make a lot of sense there - He doesn't use the same type of energy that Fury/Widow/Hulk use (Cap doesn't really "fit" that well either but his energy type is fine), and his role is to clear defenders without attack, which Hulk already does. Here's some general suggestions for you:

1) Replace Cap (Natural Leader) with Cap (Star-Spangled Avenger). He's more expensive, but this way he also serves as a tech card against Gobby, is just more useful in general since your deck really has little reason to attack with sidekicks, and also patches you up a bit. This last bit is important because--

2) You should use Silver Surfer, specifically for his global ability. The specific Surfer you use doesn't matter too much since you will basically never be purchasing him, but his global lets you pay a Shield energy - of which you'll likely have some of with your Fury purchases and random other dice - to take two damage and place a die in your Prep area. This does wonders for acceleration, and will let you field Hulk easier and earlier in the game. I'm pretty sure this global also triggers Hulk's ability too, so there's that.

3) Consider another strong Fist or Shield character, just as a tech option. I run Thing (+3/+3 when you have fewer fielded characters) in my Hulk deck because he's SLIGHTLY cheaper and serves a different function. I probably won't buy him very often, but if I'm energy starved and need to exploit my opponent's good fortune with rolling sidekicks he makes a decent early buy. Doc Oc (the one that lets him disable a defender) is a decent Shield option, but I haven't really explored that too much.

4) Dump Hawkeye. I said it before, but he just has no real purpose in your deck outside of sniping a few specific characters and your deck doesn't REALLY care about that. I know you want to use him because he's an Avenger, but he just doesn't fit with what you have so far. Consider Punisher (McRook) for a similar purpose with a more agreeable energy type. This could also serve as your tech option!

5) I'd use Force Beam for one of your actions. It's cheap as far as actions go, and also triggers Hulk's ability - this can theoretically lead to 5 damage to your opponent's entire board with good rolls, and a minimum of 3 damage. It also just wipes out Sidekicks (which is great since you don't want your opponent blocking your heavy hitters with them) and sometimes will nail slightly meatier targets like Widow/Angel that I expect will be really big once people have access to them. Thrown Car is a decent secondary, I'd use either that or Gearing Up. Thrown Car has the bonus if being less useful for some other archetypes so you probably aren't accidentally bringing a card your opponent wants to also buy.

And yeah I think Hawkeye would deal the extra +1 damage.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
A question for collectiing this when I start playing. How many individual dice do I need to have a full playset? Like in Magic with the 4 of limit, having a 5th of that card is useless for deck building and goes to the trade binder.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm pretty sure four is the most any die currently uses, but since future sets will require different die, it's really a character by character basis. You'll never need more than two Colossus die, because all of his poo poo is mad expensive and I simply cannot fathom a viable deck that'd need more than two of them. Lots of characters are like this, like Thor, Phoenix, Dr. Strange, and I'm sure more. Other characters like Angel and Black Widow, well, you'll want four of those.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Countblanc posted:

I'm pretty sure four is the most any die currently uses, but since future sets will require different die, it's really a character by character basis. You'll never need more than two Colossus die, because all of his poo poo is mad expensive and I simply cannot fathom a viable deck that'd need more than two of them. Lots of characters are like this, like Thor, Phoenix, Dr. Strange, and I'm sure more. Other characters like Angel and Black Widow, well, you'll want four of those.

Some have 5. Not sure how this game will run with future sets, but I imagine they can release new character cards anytime in the future that might incorporate a 6th. Knowing a lot of collectors i'd say you'd want at least 5 of each to be safe.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

The American Dream posted:

A question for collectiing this when I start playing. How many individual dice do I need to have a full playset? Like in Magic with the 4 of limit, having a 5th of that card is useless for deck building and goes to the trade binder.

I believe all of the cards with a 5 maximum are the uncommon versions of starter deck characters (don't ask me why this is.)

Pulled a Tsarina today, was not at all surprised that it lives up to the hype. After playing a few games with Count I was half convinced that the best decks would all rush with Tsarina early game. Fortunately I was able to build a successful control deck and it eases my worries quite a bit. Also, Force Beam is a really strong action if you don't plan on fielding and sitting on a bunch of Sidekicks. I will probably avoid building a deck with Force Beam in it though since I looove deck thinning, and I always run Storm to take advantage of opposing sidekicks.

@Showtime, I like your deck idea. Nick Fury is cheap and if you can rush with Tsarina and Hawkeye, he'll be boosting damage quite a bit. The other Avenger build that looks really good is 4 cost Nick Fury (unblocked Avengers can double-attack) with Spider-Man (Pay a Fist to force characters to block him) and a couple of heavy hitters. Doesn't take much set up to deal some crazy damage. Obviously that's a later game build, though.

After playing a little bit more extensively I'm really excited to see how the metagame evolves and I wish there were tournaments I could go to now, even just locals.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah, my matches with Icy were both incredibly relieving with how it showed Tsarina was beatable (though I admit to not being the most top tier of players and made at least one huge mistake during one game), and also a tad depressing because it furthered my belief that big beats isn't going to be an immediately viable archetype. Unless you can make your poo poo unblockable you may just get walled by a good control deck since they have a wall of viable defenders (and can easily neuter your offense through Distraction and other tricks), and a straight aggro deck is simply going to beat you to the punch. I'm gonna keep trying stuff though, I haven't given up on the style, but we'll see.

The rare Professor X is really solid in control, and that sorta surprised me. I had a few turns where I had the choice between fielding a single character for two life, or simply rerolling and hoping for energy to maybe do something in the future. He also doesn't die, his health is huge so even if you force him to attack you it still requires 2-4 defenders to really take him down. Loki also shut my deck down real fast (and likely would to any rush if you survived the initial burst) since saying "sorry, those four Widows you bought first round? Can't use those anymore," is a HUGE kick in the teeth.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Thanks for making a nice OP, countblanc. I am currently obsessed with this game despite having not played it yet. There was a small tournament last week where people were sharing starters but my schedule was already full. Luckily, it seems like it will be a regular thing. I really like the low cost buy in compared to the miniature games I usually play and it seems you could be competitive with just a starter. Ive bought a few boosters because I was hoping to get a Punisher but no dice(hahaha that joke is never going to get old). Some of the symbols on the dice are so cool and I think even if I get tired of the game, as a big Marvel fan I really like having the cool little dice.

edit: The document link seems to be broken.

edit2: Here's a new link
They might have just changed the location on Wizkids website or something since it was originally posted.

jodai fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 5, 2014

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

jodai posted:

Thanks for making a nice OP, countblanc. I am currently obsessed with this game despite having not played it yet. There was a small tournament last week where people were sharing starters but my schedule was already full. Luckily, it seems like it will be a regular thing. I really like the low cost buy in compared to the miniature games I usually play and it seems you could be competitive with just a starter. Ive bought a few boosters because I was hoping to get a Punisher but no dice(hahaha that joke is never going to get old). Some of the symbols on the dice are so cool and I think even if I get tired of the game, as a big Marvel fan I really like having the cool little dice.

edit: The document link seems to be broken.

The common/uncommon cards among the most powerful. The Ultra-Rares seem to be very powerful but geared to streamlined teams, but I have almost all of the rares and I still use common/uncommons. Looks like supply is going to be a major issue for the next month or so. All of my distributors were sold out of the boosters as well (starters have been gone since before the game was even released).

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

ShowTime posted:

Looks like supply is going to be a major issue for the next month or so. All of my distributors were sold out of the boosters as well (starters have been gone since before the game was even released).

You can buy boosters online pretty easily at least! 42 dollars for a gravity feed from Coolstuffinc. The ones we got are holding us over until starters arrive and have made it a lot easier to proxy some decks and get a feel for the game.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Is this gonna be a case where wen the starters show up in a couple weeks all the boosters are gonna be sold out? Should I get some now so I don't have to wait another month for reprints?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I have no idea, truth be told, nor do I think anyone else does. The most they've said is that they aren't having supply issues with boosters.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Which I find crazy since what seems like a large part of the community for this game are buying boxes of boosters instead of 1 of the 60 packs in a booster. Maybe it's just a bgg echo chamber effect misleading me (very possible), but really the Starter Shortage just seems strategic by Wizkids to try and whip up a frenzy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Campbell posted:

Which I find crazy since what seems like a large part of the community for this game are buying boxes of boosters instead of 1 of the 60 packs in a booster. Maybe it's just a bgg echo chamber effect misleading me (very possible), but really the Starter Shortage just seems strategic by Wizkids to try and whip up a frenzy.

I've played Heroclix for years, Wizkids is too incompetent to intentionally do something like this.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

What I find weird is at the store I found out about the game at, the next time I was in there I asked about getting some boosters and the guy was trying to convince me not to buy the boosters because the starters are so hard to get right now. I didn't push the issue because he was so strangely reluctant to sell me the product but I bought 10 boosters from another store(the one that ran the tournament), the owner introduced me to some other players and we talked for a bit about the game. Unfortunately, that's the store thats farthest from me.

Anyway , my point was there's no reason not to buy some boosters right now.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I'm really anxious to play some matches but the game store around here isn't going to host any events until they get a better shipment of starters (which I still don't have).

I got 25 boosters and pulled a Gobby, so looking forward to trying to put together a villains deck. I have nothing meaningful to say since I haven't played yet but man am I hyped for this game.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Campbell posted:

the Starter Shortage just seems strategic by Wizkids to try and whip up a frenzy.

A booster shortage would have been smarter than a starter shortage, probably. You literally cannot play the game without a starter deck unless you proxy stuff, and not everyone wants to/is comfortable doing that.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I am really stoked to pick this game up. But there is not a single scrap of product to be found in the city i live in ( thats 2 fully stocked comic shops and all the big retailers ). Im basically just waiting for the next round of reprints.

Yergie
Jan 22, 2007
I watched a few videos of the game being played, and I got super excited. I'm hoping to get my hands on a starter set or two once they're restocked.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I have a tournament tonight at my local game store, and I'm rather interested in seeing what combos everyone comes up with. I've got a good denial group going, and I hope it works out well.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Normally I'd support my LGS but given they are charging 2 euro a booster. Anyone know any online retailers that'll do reasonable shipping to Ireland?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
LGS restocked today so I finally got some stuff! One starter and a grav feed netted me Tsarina and one more die for each starter character. Excited to deck build and get in some matches.

Do we think secondary market prices will go down once more product is readily available?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

At my LGS yesterday, they were saying now the boosters are running low. I'm worried that the people that actually want to play te game are going to get bought out by people who are just trying to make a quick buck on ebay.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

WerrWaaa posted:

LGS restocked today so I finally got some stuff! One starter and a grav feed netted me Tsarina and one more die for each starter character. Excited to deck build and get in some matches.

Do we think secondary market prices will go down once more product is readily available?

The set size is fairly small so I'd expect most cards to go down to dirt cheap and a few that emerge as big in the meta to hold price or increase slightly. Once expansions start dropping though who knows what availability will be like for old sets.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Uncanny X-Men starter mock up from The Dice Tower:

quote:

In order this is what I see: pyro, angel?, quicksilver, marvel girl, psylocke, sentinel, iceman, toad, bishop, mr. Sinister, cable, juggernaut, scarlet witch, white queen and namor. If I could just be sure about that second die

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
Hey, the local meta here is about to start picking up because the starter sets and boosters just came (I bought a box and starter set). The thing is, there's a group of folks who've been playing since the first printing, and now there are... a bunch of us who just started 3 days ago.

Any tips on building decks that might be able to compete with them? I've got access to: 4 of every character's dice, every common, every uncommon, the following rares:
Angel
Deadpool
Doctor Doom
Doctor Strange
Green Goblin
Hawkeye
Loki
Mr. Fantastic
Mystique
Nova
Punisher

At this point I kinda wanna try something with Storm Wind-Rider, Hawkeye Longbow... not sure what else might be worthwhile though. Any tips appreciated! Most of the people I'll be playing against have access to every card and most dice now too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I just had a friend bully me into learning to play this and it seems pretty fun, though the Superhero theme doesn't really seem to fit the gameplay at all.

We had one rules disagreement that I haven't been able to find a clear answer to on BGG: On cards like Thrown Car and Inner Rage, can you use these abilities if you don't have two characters on which to apply them? So, like-- if you only have a single pawn, and roll an activation symbol, are you barred from actually using the ability? I would think that there would be no problem, but his point was that the ability doesn't specify "Up to two."

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This game is fun! I was about to type up an OP before I saw the announcement that search was down and realized that's why I couldn't find a thread for it. I've only played a few demo games so far. They're obviously slower than a real metagamed-game would be, but it's still fun to play with only the characters from the starter. I bought about a dozen boosters and got a few characters with two dice, so I've been swapping them in and out, playing three character games just to see what the abilities are like.

You totally need the playmat though, I'm not sure I'd be able to play without it unless it's like my hundredth game. Even then, "Wait, what zone are these dice in?" would probably come up a lot.

I got a few people interested, and I'm sure it'll sell like crazy once it's actually available. I found mine by random chance at a board game shop in the local port town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Went down to the local game store after the move down to arizona, they announced getting in a box of starters so I was there next day and picked up a set. Pretty cool game and although I'm disappointed by the lack of characters, it is so cheap that buying a handful of starters and shifting around spare/unwanted dice seems easy enough. Also you can seemingly grab an easy 15~ dollar lot off eBay that has a complete set of the current commons and complementing dice if you really want to bus through that kinda thing.

If boxes are still rare even after the may reprint finally made it, someone drop a line and I'll see if I can snag anything else at the shop, anyone that wanted a copy pre-ordered it so there are a few starter boxes still sitting around last I saw. Only saw a single booster brick on display though, unsure if they have more ready to go or not.

• Locked thread