Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Where are you guys getting product? The two flgs in my city and the one in a nearby city that I am on good terms with the owner with can't get hold of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

Well if y'all are interested in trading one of them to me, send me a PM. ;)

Will do. We gotta figure out who wants what cards for the deck.

I am definitely enjoying the various card strategies. I need to look at them more and better plan things out in terms of group composition.

Currently trying out:
Punisher Vigilante(When Punisher assigns to attack, search your bag for a Punisher die and put it into your prep area. Your opponent can prevent this by paying 3 life)
Green Goblin Goblin-lord(While Green Goblin is active, your Sidekick characters get +1A and +1D (no matter how many Green Goblin dice you have fielded).
Human Torch Johnny Storm(While Human Torch is active, each time you field a character, Human Torch deals 1 damage to your opponent and one to a target character (not 1 damage per Human Torch Die)
Spiderman Webslinger(When Spider-Man assigns to attack, you may pay [1 Fist] to force every opposing character to block him if able)

Basic strategy has been get human torch asap followed by Green goblin. Spam Pawns + Cycle punisher to do lots of autodamage to the enemy. Pawns attack every turn once green goblin is down
Spiderman is to pull any/all people into blocking him to allow pumped up pawns + Punisher attacks to get through

It is in no way, at least I don't think, optimized but is fun.

edit:

Phrosphor posted:

Where are you guys getting product? The two flgs in my city and the one in a nearby city that I am on good terms with the owner with can't get hold of anything.

I lucked into one store out....5 or 6 in my area having one starter. Everyone else is saying 3 weeks for another shipment to come in

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Game Empire Pasadena has an inordinate amount of UnX on preorder if you are in the SouthLand.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

a store got a box i bought the whole thing

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So i got some question I got to pose to other players, to try and drum up more activity in this thread as well, and also some more musings on my end.

What are people doing to answer:
Human Torch Flame On(While Human Torch is active, he deals 1 damage to a character or player each time you field a character (not 1 damage per die)
+ Nova Quasar(Each time Nova takes damage, you may draw one die and put it in your prep area)?
This is the "hotness" right now as you can get a giant chain going, as long as you roll more pawns and/or heroes to field until you have a blob of attackers to overrun your enemy?

How aggressive are you playing? IE are you going for the nickel and dime damage or are you trying to build up for the big attack? My friends seem to be pushing for the big attack. This hasn't had success against me yet as I manage to weaken them prior to the big push I JUST survive and drop the killing blow.

How set are you on your deck? Are you always reaching for the same 4 to 6 guys or do you find yourself still experimenting a lot? Do you reach for a different set of guys against new players vs experienced players?

Lastly what are some thoughts on my deck currently? Any glaring weaknesses? I am currently using
Ghost Rider Johnny Blaze(No special effects; just a low-cost die with good numbers).
He is there because he is cost 2. On a good first roll I am buying two of them and than, hopefully, by the 3rd or 4th turn I can buy some of my better guys if needed
Green Goblin Goblin Lord While Green Goblin is active, your Sidekick characters get +1A and +1D (no matter how many Green Goblin dice you have fielded)
This gets my pawns up and running a touch stronger. 2/2 might not sound like much but you can't really ignore them either over the long haul. I try to purchase him by my 2nd turn
Hawkeye Longbow(When fielded, Hawkeye deals his attack value in damage to a target opposing character)
His ENTIRE purchase is to snipe out Green Goblins, Human Torch's and the like. People who typically are buffers early game before big pushes. A throwaway scalpel

So far thats 3 energy guys. 2/3/4 Cost. All cheap and they feed one another. This is where I'm a little iffy on
My 4th person is
Mr fantastic Mask (Mr. Fantastic gets +2A and +2D while blocking)
He is only 3 mask. I use him to stop the hard hitting Hulks/Thors/Quasars that seem to float around

I rather like the setup but I am not opposed to changing it up. It has done GREAT against Human Torch + Nova + Goblin decks as I can scalpel out the support pieces and slow down the rest. Mr fantastic blocks the heavy hitters and I grind out a win. I don't have any big hitters, 5 is where I top out, but do I NEED someone who can drop 6 to 9 at a time?
My only concern with the list is the Mr fantastic global. I've used it to great effect to get people to toss strong attacks they're trying to save into the used pile but it can also draw out my Goblin support or my blocking Mr fantastic.
My work around has been bringing Distraction and trying to hold onto mask late game to force any of my guys back to the field and not attacking.

edit: I'm a little hesitant in dropping Hawkeye, of all the people, as taking out the Torch is so huge to slowing down the Torch + Nova combo. Played a buddy tonight who managed to get some BS chain going and almost kill me in one attack(we were playing this wrong according to the unofficial FAQ. Human Torch "Flame on" Ability can NOT trigger Nova over and over as all damage is simultaneously and not one after another after another). Odds were with him that he could hold out a turn to roll someone back in and finish me, 2 pawns could have killed me, but I managed to pull a hawkeye. Snipe the pawn and attack for the win.

double edit: Am I understanding Rally properly? Move up to 2 sidekicks from your used pile to your field.
Now there are only Action and characters in a used pile. So will this NOT allow you to move say a cost 0 Nightcrawler/whoever over to the field but ONLY sidekick.
If you have a basic dice that is, for example, a energy. You imply flip it to sidekick and put it in the field correct?

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 19, 2014

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Played a couple of games last night with my friend, I just have the starter but he has a booster box worth of cards.

I won both games (I think it comes down to more familiarity to cardgame-like mechanics). The first game I won by shooting my hulk with torch until he became a 19/19 and then attacking with him, a Spiderman and a few beasts, spending the one fist I needed to force everything he had to block spidey and smashing him for lethal.

Our second game played totally different, he was playing an Avengers deck with Nick Fury, and I was desperately using Storms to keep his Furies off the field. We both had Iron Man and I ended up shooting mine a lot to gain life and remain in the game. I won after a lot of back and forth but it was a really long game. My opponent defeated himself really by overbuying on power dice.

Really enjoying the game, would love to get my hands on more product so i don't have so many filler cards in my deck (Thor and Captain America I am looking at you!)

He was playing Black Widow who I would really like for a cheap fist power character to make getting into Spiderman and eventually Hulk a lot easier.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Played a couple of games last night with my friend, I just have the starter but he has a booster box worth of cards.

I won both games (I think it comes down to more familiarity to cardgame-like mechanics). The first game I won by shooting my hulk with torch until he became a 19/19 and then attacking with him, a Spiderman and a few beasts, spending the one fist I needed to force everything he had to block spidey and smashing him for lethal.

Our second game played totally different, he was playing an Avengers deck with Nick Fury, and I was desperately using Storms to keep his Furies off the field. We both had Iron Man and I ended up shooting mine a lot to gain life and remain in the game. I won after a lot of back and forth but it was a really long game. My opponent defeated himself really by overbuying on power dice.

Really enjoying the game, would love to get my hands on more product so i don't have so many filler cards in my deck (Thor and Captain America I am looking at you!)

He was playing Black Widow who I would really like for a cheap fist power character to make getting into Spiderman and eventually Hulk a lot easier.

Just a couple things to note off of your description of your game.
I assume you were using Anger Issues hulk to get his stats up. I further assume he was level 2 so 2/7/7 in terms of stats
You would need 6 different things that hit him to get his stats up to 19/19 and you don't have anything in the deck, nor the amount of dice needed to do that, with the starter
By that I mean if you use Human Torch Flame OnWhile Human Torch is active, he deals 1 damage to a character or player each time you field a character (not 1 damage per die)
IE you summon a storm with 0 cost and, for example, 3 pawns. That is 4 hits to the hulk but does NOT give him +8/8 as all 4 hits are simultaneously so it would only proc the ability once.

Same deal with Iron Man. Human torch ability can't be used 3 times in a turn to give you 3 health in one go.

You CAN use Human Torch ability, Force beam and Powerbolt in one turn to activate a ability like Hulks/Iron Man 3 times but it will be at the cost of 4 health.

Official faq found here supports this on page 7 describing the Hulk and Fprce beam

In terms of a cheap fist character sadly there is only Black Widow. Luckily all of variations cost 2 so thats good
I agree though. It borderline seems mandatory to have a 2 cost character if only for the first couple turns

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 19, 2014

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Anyone interested in trading? Don't really have much, but looking for any rares or uncommons I don't have. Have spare dice for some characters too.

I have for trade
Uncommon: Iron Man, Silver Surfer, Venom, Punisher, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Captain America, Human Torch
Rare: Colossus, Doctor Doom

Looking for
Uncommon: War Machine
Rare: Angel, Black Widow, Cyclops, Doctor Octopus, Gambit, Ghost Rider, Green Goblin, Hawkeye, Loki, Magneto, Mr. Fantastic, Nick Fury, Phoenix, Professor X, Rogue, Silver Surfer, Thing, Venom

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I assume you were using Anger Issues hulk to get his stats up. I further assume he was level 2 so 2/7/7 in terms of stats
You would need 6 different things that hit him to get his stats up to 19/19 and you don't have anything in the deck, nor the amount of dice needed to do that, with the starter
By that I mean if you use Human Torch Flame OnWhile Human Torch is active, he deals 1 damage to a character or player each time you field a character (not 1 damage per die)
IE you summon a storm with 0 cost and, for example, 3 pawns. That is 4 hits to the hulk but does NOT give him +8/8 as all 4 hits are simultaneously so it would only proc the ability once.

Same deal with Iron Man. Human torch ability can't be used 3 times in a turn to give you 3 health in one go.

You CAN use Human Torch ability, Force beam and Powerbolt in one turn to activate a ability like Hulks/Iron Man 3 times but it will be at the cost of 4 health.

Official faq found here supports this on page 7 describing the Hulk and Fprce beam

In terms of a cheap fist character sadly there is only Black Widow. Luckily all of variations cost 2 so thats good
I agree though. It borderline seems mandatory to have a 2 cost character if only for the first couple turns

Thanks for this info, I had missed that units being played where all simultaneous and assumed it was more like a tcg where you spent your resources piece by piece to by cards and place dudes.

MisterPhoton
Sep 5, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Mr. Tiny Chalupa you are unfortunately wrong: the card text on Flame On says:

"While Human Torch is active, he deals 1 damage to a character or player each time you field a character (not 1 damage per die)."

This means each time you field anything, he does 1 damage. The part in the part in the parentheses means you can't do two damage each time you field a character if you have two Human Torches active. The FAQ entry you mention is in regards to a single action having two damage targets that would both fire off Hulk (Force Beam damaging both Hulk and the player). In that case, you'd only trigger Hulk's ability once, as both the damage to each target occurred simultaneously. In the case of HT (Flame On or Johnny Storm), each character fielded is its own action, so each point of damage would trigger Hulk's ability (+2/+2 or +3/+3, in the case of Anger Issues). The same rules apply to Iron Man or any other character with an "on damage" ability - HT can trigger it for every character fielded, so it goes off multiple times in a turn.

One thing to keep in mind on Hulk - Anger Issues: each time you damage him for 1 to give him +3/+3, he's actually gaining +3/+2; the damage does stay on him even with the boost. So, if you ping him 4 times, he's actually 19/15.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

MisterPhoton posted:

This means each time you field anything, he does 1 damage.

This is true.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

WerrWaaa posted:

This is true.

So the turn in question, that brought all this up. I fielded 5+ guys, so I was correct in giving hulk 5 * +3/+3? (I recognise that technically it is +3/+2 but just trying to keep things simple).

MisterPhoton
Sep 5, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

So the turn in question, that brought all this up. I fielded 5+ guys, so I was correct in giving hulk 5 * +3/+3? (I recognise that technically it is +3/+2 but just trying to keep things simple).

You were correct

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i got three supre rares today

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Out of how many packs?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

jodai posted:

Out of how many packs?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

then i got some more and got some other nice things, so 40 total

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Out of the same grav feed?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

Out of the same grav feed?

no 15 from one then the others from another store

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone got any cool ideas for a team? I'm trying to see what everyone elses metagame looks like.

I'm trying to build a team using these guys as the core:

Iceman - Too Cool for Words
Pyro - Pyrokinetic
Green Goblin - Gobby

I've been using Ghost Rider - Johnny Blaze as the fuel. Also Human Torch - Johnny Storm because it's so good. I'm still having issues with a finisher. Right now I have Professor X for the global, the SR Scarlet Witch because she is bolt energy and pretty decent, and Loki - Gem-Keeper just because. I figured having some utility might be nice.

My issue is actually finishing people. The deck seems to need to be aggressive. It does nothing to affect the board state, it just combos off into needless amounts of energy. I'm thinking of adding in Hawkeye - Longbow to get aggressive by picking off a blocker and swinging in. Also the Cyclops that increases damage dealt by bolt characters.

This is how things go now: I buy ghost rider/gobby early and start turn 2 with 6 energy. Then I try to field a sidekick and buy another character before trying to get lucky and buy a third character with Pyro. I usually get lucky and get a third. I go into turn 3 trying to field all the sidekicks and buy as many ghost rider/gobbys as I can. I usually have 6+ dice going into my turn and combo a few times for 1-2 extra characters a turn. But i'm not really doing anything but buying more dice and fielding sidekicks with a gobby thrown in when I roll them. I think Johnny Storm should be a bigger part of my plan with the number of sidekicks I field. I can also turn those sidekicks into more energy to use (Iceman global) and then try to field them on later turns.

I just think it's lacking a finisher and board wipes really hurt it. If my opponent clears my board by doing 1 damage to everything then it sets me back. I have a higher chance of rolling bolt energy on my actual characters then I do on sidekick dice, so I want to keep those on board or in my prep area.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I won of bunch of the new set in a little raffle my FLGS had on Halloween, so I've been playing it a bit. My current team looks like this:

Take That Villain!
Relentless
Angel: Soaring
Falcon: Samuel Wilson
Hawkeye: Robin Hood
Cerebro: Supercomputer
Captain America: Special Ops
Iron Man: Upright
Magneto: Archvillain
Professor X: Recruiting Young Mutants

Plan is to use Professor X's global to get my expensive characters out, especially Magneto. Then use Captain America, Iron Man, and Take That Villain! to make sure Magneto keeps his buff, and get rid of blockers. Cerebro is great for neutering cheap characters, which also helps keep the number of blockers down. Definitely my MVP so far; everyone I play comments how annoying it is. Hawkeye, Angel, and Falcon are mostly there for cheap filler, but I like having access to a variety of characters with different energy. It's been pretty fun so far, though a little slow. I think I'll try to get a Nick Fury: Mr. Anger next and replace Angel with him, to help field Iron Man and Captain America. Not a huge fan of the Falcon, but if I can find one, a different version would be nice. Might just replace him with a Black Panther, though.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Which starter is "better" or what are the differences between the Avengers vs X-Men and Uncanny X-Men? Does it really boil down to which heroes you like better or is there a playstyle that is more favored in one or the other?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The Avengers Vs Xmen starter has some good characters and some dice that are current meta-game favorites. I'd probably recommend that one.

So what does everyone think about the format changes? For those that haven't heard, games are no longer default best 2 out of 3. Now they are 1 game with a 30 minute round. Venues have the option to change this, but that's something they have to announce before the tournament. WizKids asked me for feedback about this weeks ago and I was kind of surprised to see them go through with it. It's a massive rules change.

I think you will mostly see tournaments being 1-game Swiss rounds with the elimination brackets being best 2 out of 3. Players will be playing more games in Swiss, which means even if you lose a round or two, there is still a solid chance you make it to the elimination rounds just based on how many matches you play. Then you get to enter a slightly more competitive format with higher stakes.

Kind of curious what everyone thought about this.

Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004
I forget, are official wizkids events draft or constructed? I was at a small draft today where no first match ended in under 30 minutes, and only one pairing all event actually finished two matches in the 50 minute limit (and that was on the last turn of the 5 turn overtime)

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Official events can be whatever the venue wants them to be. As long as the venue lets it be known what the format will be they are free to run their events as they choose.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Just got into this game this weekend. Those of us without bought starter packs and then we did a 12 pack draft and tournament thingie. It was my first time playing but I somehow managed to tied for second because I drafted Imperius Rex Namor and just kept hammering away with Namor and sidekicks.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what "character counts as in the context of Imperius Rex Namor's ability?

code:
If Namor is the only character in your field at the end of any turn, field up to two Sidekick dice from your used pile or prep area.
Does it still activate if you have two or more Namor dice? Does each die count as a "character?"

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Are the two starters interchangable, I can pick characters from AvX and Xmen and play? Or are the starters pretty much their own game.

Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, everything runs under the same system with the same rules, so next year, you can have Spiderman hanging out on the same team as Batman and some D&D monsters.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Flaggy posted:

Are the two starters interchangable, I can pick characters from AvX and Xmen and play? Or are the starters pretty much their own game.

I think AvX is the older one and probably the harder to find, so you might wanna grab that one if there's a choice to be made.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kortsu posted:

Yeah, everything runs under the same system with the same rules, so next year, you can have Spiderman hanging out on the same team as Batman and some D&D monsters.

Well thats going to be awesome.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I think AvX is the older one and probably the harder to find, so you might wanna grab that one if there's a choice to be made.
I have both currently, I am only buying boosters for X-Men though, I have most everything for AvX.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So object started this game and have the uxm starter and about 10 boosters. I'm itching to play more but I feel like I need more research. Are there any good places for a new player to go to learn tricks and stuff?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Elblanco posted:

So object started this game and have the uxm starter and about 10 boosters. I'm itching to play more but I feel like I need more research. Are there any good places for a new player to go to learn tricks and stuff?

https://www.diceanon.com
https://www.dicemastersrules.com
https://www.thereservepool.com

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Found out my FLGS has starters for this, so I'm in - can't wait to fill a binder with superheroes.

I figure I'll ask them about tournaments tonight, but is it presumed that once DC cards/dice are out they'll allowed to mix and match in "official" events, or just that they're compatible systems?

Edit: Well I got fleeced; FLGS sold me two Collector's Boxes from Uncanny X-Men and said that was enough for two people to play.

No rule books, not enough dice for the 4 random boosters in each. No non-random character cards.

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 6, 2015

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

That sucks bad. Those collector's boxes look cool to have in edition to a starter. There's supposed to be storage for your cards and stuff. Starters are a lot more available now, so even on ebay, they shouldn't be as jacked up in price as they were initially.

Ville Valo posted:

not enough dice for the 4 random boosters in each

That's one thing that kinda sucks, each card only comes with one die so if it's not a character from the starter, you'll have to hope to get a couple more of that character's card. Luckily, all the different versions of the character (common, uncommon, rare) all use the same dice.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Kortsu posted:

Is it confirmed that D&D will use the same fist/bolt/mask/shield suits as Marvel and DC? Lord of the Rings doesn't...

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Ville Valo posted:

Is it confirmed that D&D will use the same fist/bolt/mask/shield suits as Marvel and DC? Lord of the Rings doesn't...

I think yugioh does too. Though I never heard about lotr dice masters.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Ville Valo posted:

Why would they do this? Is it just "Instead of Fist we have Sword or is it something that's going to make them completely incompatible? I thought they'd know what they weredoing since one of the big selling points of Heroclix is you can have Guile and Frodo fight Batman and the Enterprise and Dicemasters is like a different take on the same idea.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Ville Valo posted:

...are there LoTR dicemasters now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Elblanco posted:

Though I never heard about lotr dice masters.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

...are there LoTR dicemasters now?

The LotR Dice Building boxed game uses the same rules (it's by the same designers); it's just not collectible and so not technically Dice Masters.

edit: same basic rules

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 8, 2015

• Locked thread