Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

jodai posted:

Why would they do this? Is it just "Instead of Fist we have Sword or is it something that's going to make them completely incompatible? I thought they'd know what they weredoing since one of the big selling points of Heroclix is you can have Guile and Frodo fight Batman and the Enterprise and Dicemasters is like a different take on the same idea.

Was talking to someone from Wizards last night at a local MDM event and he said that all the game mechanics are the same and that all the new Dice Masters stuff is comparable. So, no swords, etc... it's still shields and bolts and fists punching you in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004
From what I've seen about the lotr stuff, it's played like quarriors, not dice masters. They both use cards/dice, and building dice pools, but the mechanics are a bit different. I don't believe it was ever meant to be compatable with dice masters (and may have come out before dice masters even)

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Would anyone be interested in my Dice Masters collections. Have most everything from Avengers Vs X-Men and have a bunch of stuff from Uncanny X-Men. I can of course send pictures, we just don't play them much anymore. They are stored in the hardcase Ultra Pro deck boxes. I will send them in the hardcase boxes. Lots of boosters with the main packs.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Yu-Gi-Oh's supposed to be in stores today. Wiz Kids posted that they are, in fact, compatible with Marvel (and DC), but from the preview cards it doesn't look like there's much reason to mix and match for competitive lists.

Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004
I'm not all that interested in the yugioh series as a whole, but I still grabbed a starter and some boosters off miniature market. I figure more action cards are always a plus, from what I saw, it should fill in a few holes in the first two sets (low cost shield characters)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Last Saturday my friends and I bought out literally every booster in Card Kingdom, so I guess we're playing Battle of Faerun Dice Masters now. The Dragons are all super-sweet, Breath Weapon is the perfect counter for little Swarm decks.

Got a rules question, and the volunteer/advocate guy wasn't able to answer it - my Paladin and Halfling get level-ups when they kill monsters. Two questions about this ability:
  • Is the level-up global (ie if I buy a Paladin later and recruit him, he also shares the level up)? Or is it only on the Paladin that got the kill (and goes away when he dies/goes back in the bag)?
  • Monsters. We house-ruled that Villains are also Monsters, because that has to be a cross-over that works and is just a language thing (like how Sidekicks and NPCs are identical), so killing Sabretooth is the same and killing a Kobold. Otherwise Sentinel just became OP as gently caress because he says "can't be blocked unless your opponent controls a Villain" which makes him totally unblockable in cross-genre games, and the main draw is the two games play nice together
This game is sweet as gently caress, because it's all the engine building of Dominion plus the player interaction of Magic. I like it a lot.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

they arent the same. sentinel would be unvlockable. hes unvlockable vs the other set with no villains too but no 1 says u cant bring goblin along

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Everblight posted:

Last Saturday my friends and I bought out literally every booster in Card Kingdom, so I guess we're playing Battle of Faerun Dice Masters now. The Dragons are all super-sweet, Breath Weapon is the perfect counter for little Swarm decks.

Got a rules question, and the volunteer/advocate guy wasn't able to answer it - my Paladin and Halfling get level-ups when they kill monsters. Two questions about this ability:
  • Is the level-up global (ie if I buy a Paladin later and recruit him, he also shares the level up)? Or is it only on the Paladin that got the kill (and goes away when he dies/goes back in the bag)?
  • Monsters. We house-ruled that Villains are also Monsters, because that has to be a cross-over that works and is just a language thing (like how Sidekicks and NPCs are identical), so killing Sabretooth is the same and killing a Kobold. Otherwise Sentinel just became OP as gently caress because he says "can't be blocked unless your opponent controls a Villain" which makes him totally unblockable in cross-genre games, and the main draw is the two games play nice together
This game is sweet as gently caress, because it's all the engine building of Dominion plus the player interaction of Magic. I like it a lot.

So for the first point, experience triggers on all characters that have it, when a monster is killed.

The second point is, monsters are an affiliation exclusive to the dnd set and so no cards from other sets trigger experience.

So unless you expect a bunch of different monsters, i wouldn't count on experience being a big thing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I AM THE MOON posted:

Sentinel would be unblockable. hes unblockable vs the other set with no villains too but no 1 says u cant bring goblin along
That seems like a hilarious clusterfuck based on supporting a parasitic mechanic (overarching affiliations) that doesn't do a whole lot.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i searxhed all the sentinels and none of them are unblock able vs no villains btw

they all just gently caress over x men so idk wtf you were playing.....

Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004
here's how experience works.

when a d&d monter is knocked out, all of your guys with the experience mechanic place an experience token on their card (1 per character, so if you have 2 paladins out, you still only get 1 token for that card) that token will affect all current and future of that character you field for the game. the character in question does not need to help knock anything out, or even be in combat, they just need to be active when an elegible monster goes down. So its a very strong mechanic vs pure monster decks, but is more situational when played in a mixed deck (I run the paladin that makes my guys immune to globals played by my opponent in my all-comers shield deck, so hes good without the xp, and if he happens to get some, all the better)

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
The monster also has to be knocked out on your turn and by your own hand. A monster knocked out on your opponent's turn does not net experience. A monster your opponent knocks out by some mean of his own does not net you experience.

Also, the experience is gained at the end of the turn, not at the moment a monster is KOd, by adventurers that are still in play. If a monster is KOd in the main step, and an adventurer later attacks and goes unblocked, that adventurer does not accrue experience.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 25, 2015

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Note that a monster in Yu-Gi-Oh means something different from a monster in D&D.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Note that a monster in Yu-Gi-Oh means something different from a monster in D&D.

But don't they both have the keyword "monster"?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
The term monster w/r/t the YGO set is equivalent to character in any other set. Just call them characters to make life easier.

Monsters for the purpose of experience is anything that has the monster banner in the upper left corner and only something with the monster banner.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

AlleyViper posted:

The term monster w/r/t the YGO set is equivalent to character in any other set. Just call them characters to make life easier.

Monsters for the purpose of experience is anything that has the monster banner in the upper left corner and only something with the monster banner.

Ah, ok. Haven't checked out Yugioh and haven't got my hands on the DnD set yet but that's a pretty straight forward distinction.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Played a game on Monday, got in a discussion about what to do about Professor X (y'know, the die that is basically a black lotus every turn?)

His argument was, "they should just print more cards in types other than Mask to give ramp to more people"

:psyduck:

Ignoring that they are messing with the chance to give every energy type an actual identity, which would be cool, the answer to "one card provides an insane, unfair tempo advantage" is not "print more of that kind of card."

It's a huge mess because the idea of standardizing your terminology across worlds when you do cross-world games (like the DC Deckbuilder from Cryptozoic or Legendary from UDE) is super, super simple but WizKids is just determined to tank it at every new set. It's dumb, but either we'll get a comprehensive errata saying "the following things are the same" or the game will just fracture more and more until they're trying to run 3+ (Marvel, YGO, D&D, DC?) parallel games and it's just a huge failure because they don't play together.

What's craziest is that WizKids has done this exact thing before, and it failed then, too - HeroClix, MageKnight and Battletech were all close to the same, but just different enough that you couldn't play them with each other, which is colossally stupid.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

your opponent can use his ability

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I AM THE MOON posted:

your opponent can use his ability

And Moat affects both players equally! :hurr: Brilliant! Balance issues solved, no need to consider how one side might set up their team to abuse the gently caress out of a broken ramp ability to buy a 7-drop on turn two. Glad we solved this conundrum, guess everyone can just keep playing without needing to worry about how every deck has to pack a die they have no intention of ever buying, just for the global ability that warps the format.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

anyone just bought a bunch of common and uncommon dice and then proxied the rest? I kind of just want to put together a drafting cube like thing for one of these games and toy around with it, if it can be done cheap enough via proxies. What's the life hack for this, how can I get enough dice cheaply?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

anyone just bought a bunch of common and uncommon dice and then proxied the rest? I kind of just want to put together a drafting cube like thing for one of these games and toy around with it, if it can be done cheap enough via proxies. What's the life hack for this, how can I get enough dice cheaply?

You can get lots of the common/uncommon sets on eBay, then get images of the rare versions off of singles-seller sites. Shouldn't be too hard, just remember 1 die=1 card needed for purposes of drafting, though constructed is 4 die=1 card needed.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Everblight posted:

And Moat affects both players equally! :hurr: Brilliant! Balance issues solved, no need to consider how one side might set up their team to abuse the gently caress out of a broken ramp ability to buy a 7-drop on turn two. Glad we solved this conundrum, guess everyone can just keep playing without needing to worry about how every deck has to pack a die they have no intention of ever buying, just for the global ability that warps the format.

if they buy a 7 drop on turn 2 their cheating

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I AM THE MOON posted:

if they buy a 7 drop on turn 2 their cheating

Yes, literally impossible. :rolleyes:

quote:

Well lets start counting available dice. Lets assume on turn 1, you are able to purchase a single two cost die, and get left with 2 energy that can be used on Professor X’s global. You then wait for your opponents turn (silly transition zone) then use the Professor X global twice. The first usage will move the 2 sidekick dice currently in the used pile to the prep area. The second usage will move the sidekick die used to pay for the Professor X global the first time to the prep area. Now, on turn 2, you have 3 sidekick dice in prep and get to draw 4 from your bag. That is 7 possible energy.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

cool, thanks for the neat trick, cheers

gonna keep gobby-bombing x players to death before they ever get their big guy out lol

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I think they changed it so you have a transition zone on the other players turn as well now, but I could be wrong.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I think they changed it so you have a transition zone on the other players turn as well now, but I could be wrong.

that's what i thought too, limiting it to 6 on turn 2, but i looked it up and thats not the case which is cool. really wasted on trying to get a single 7 though imo, except maybe an early sky-rider if you used his global t1 to just knock their teeth out lol

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Old news, but I bought a Yu-Gi-Oh starter and its just garbage. Same number of dice but only one version of each monster. Really wish I had read the back of the box on that one, but after buying the other starters I would have never thought to look.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Do the starter sets always come with the same characters and if so which are in which sets? This information is surprisingly hard to find.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Wezlar posted:

Do the starter sets always come with the same characters and if so which are in which sets? This information is surprisingly hard to find.

Avengers vs X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and D&D Battle for Faerun all come with three versions of 8 characters (so 24 cards) as well as 10 basic action cards. The Yu-Gi-Oh! set comes with one version of 8 characters and 10 basic action cards. The action cards are different in each set.

Use dicemastersdb.com. You can view by set and the starter characters are all going to be numbered 1 through 24. (or 1 through 8 for YGO). Everything is listed alphabetically and I don't think there is a way to sort by rarity, but the starter cards are also in alphabetical order so it's easy to follow along 1-3, 4-6, etc even if it skips a few... Just look at the site and it'll make sense, I'm doing a really poor job explaining it.

Edit: I didn't really specify here, but yes each starter will always have the same cards in it, and that website will have the complete list.

Fumaofthelake fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 14, 2015

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Picked up the game and played a few rounds, it's super coo. Is there any good place to buy bulk/extra character dice or am I pretty much just stuck cracking boosters until I get a ton?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wezlar posted:

Picked up the game and played a few rounds, it's super coo. Is there any good place to buy bulk/extra character dice or am I pretty much just stuck cracking boosters until I get a ton?

eBay has sellers selling 1-of-every-die-in-this-set for $20 or so. CoolStuffInc sells singles of the Super-Rares, which is likewise more economical than packs.

Rainbow Draft is where it's at, though. :catdrugs:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Whats rainbow draft? Gimme your cat drugs

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Whats rainbow draft? Gimme your cat drugs

Rainbow Draft. You set all the dice up on the table, lots of people color-code them, like a rainbow!

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

http://dicemasters.com/rainbowdraft.pdf

Seems like basically you make two piles of cards per player out of a bunch of boosters. Everyone drafts a card out of their first pile, then it gets passed. Once that first set of piles is depleted, you do the same with everyone's second pile. When there are no more cards to choose, the ones that you have represent what you can use to make your deck with.

I've never played but looks interesting.

Edit: Man I'm really slow.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Rainbow Draft seems cool but 12 packs per player seems like a lot for a game where you only need 8 cards. Are that many packs really required? Is it just because you need to slam multiples of the same characters to get the dice you need?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wezlar posted:

Rainbow Draft seems cool but 12 packs per player seems like a lot for a game where you only need 8 cards. Are that many packs really required? Is it just because you need to slam multiples of the same characters to get the dice you need?

Exactly. Plus, 12 packs is literally $12. It's not like 12 packs of magic for $40. You can get gravity boxes for $44-60 on CoolStuffInc right now that keeps your cost per pack under $0.75.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Everblight posted:

Exactly. Plus, 12 packs is literally $12. It's not like 12 packs of magic for $40. You can get gravity boxes for $44-60 on CoolStuffInc right now that keeps your cost per pack under $0.75.

I think you just described my next game night.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fumaofthelake posted:

I think you just described my next game night.

Of note: You need lots and lots of Sidekick dice (8 per person) and those only come in starters. Starters are cheap though ($12 per?) and also have basic action cards and other dice that you could theoretically include with the rainbow draft (using 2/3 of the cards that come with the 2 dice included per starter)

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Everblight posted:

Of note: You need lots and lots of Sidekick dice (8 per person) and those only come in starters. Starters are cheap though ($12 per?) and also have basic action cards and other dice that you could theoretically include with the rainbow draft (using 2/3 of the cards that come with the 2 dice included per starter)

I'd have to modify it to be 4 player only (based on the people I would have available), but I have 4 starters worth of dice anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Flaggy posted:

Would anyone be interested in my Dice Masters collections. Have most everything from Avengers Vs X-Men and have a bunch of stuff from Uncanny X-Men. I can of course send pictures, we just don't play them much anymore. They are stored in the hardcase Ultra Pro deck boxes. I will send them in the hardcase boxes. Lots of boosters with the main packs.

I would be if you still have it!

• Locked thread