Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Red posted:

Is there a good/simple quick start guide to play a quick game?

The starter sets come with an instruction book that details playing a beginner game, including which cards/dice for each player to use. That's about as good a way as any. It's also a pretty simple game, the only part of it that snagged me at the beginning was that dice that succeed (get spent or attack unblocked) go into the used pile to be put back into the bag later, while dice that get killed go into the ready pile and are rerolled and put back into play on your next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also, nobody asked this advice, but I'm giving it anyways!

There's a plastic storage tray made for Dice Masters stuff by a company called Zen Bins. They are fantastic and anyone who has a collection of any size should probably get some.

Another company, T1 Supplies, makes a playmat for the game that has a better layout than the ones sold by WizKids. It has a space on it for out of play dice that haven't yet entered the used pile, it doesn't have the wasted space at the bottom for 'dice bag', and it's moved the life counter to the top of the mat where it's easier to see.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The second D&D set is really great. Now that there are more fiends than just the lonely pit fiend from the first set, there's a whole tribal fiend synergy thing going that works well. I threw a quick thing together last week with hellhounds and pit fiends (make fiends cheaper), glabrezu (make fiends immune to non-combat damage), balors (chance to get a fiend for free) and Orcus (field a fiend from your dice bag for free when he's fielded). It was slower to start than I'd have liked, since fiends aren't cheap to purchase until you get some discounts in play, but once I had a 7/7 balor running around things wrapped up fast.

I'm also interested in setting something up with golems and their new mechanic where you can KO other characters to buy them for free. I'm willing to bet that can turn pretty sick in short order. Got a gravity box on order that should be arriving later this week, hopefully there'll be some goodies in there.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My only beef with Dice Masters is that the compatibility between genres is goddamn retarded. A lot of keywords involved don't cross over between sets, so if you play with D&D stuff and your opponent plops down in front of you with Yu-Gi-Oh dice, welp. Better hope you weren't playing with adventurers, 'cause their experience ability will never trigger. Field some evil dice with anti-good powers, and your opponent is playing nothing but super heroes? Won't work: technically they aren't good because they have no alignment icon.

Fortunately there are plenty of cards that don't require an opponent to be playing specific sets to function, and I'd plan around those cards if I was going to just play random jerks somewhere with no knowledge of what sets they'd bring. The irksome part is that it would've been super easy for the design team to implement some universal card design aspects to facilitate cross-genre play, they just didn't bother to do so. And now that this many sets have been printed, they really can't go back and retcon hundreds of cards.

• Locked thread