Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Buddies and I went down to my LGS to check out this Marvel Dice Masters after talking to a random guy there a few days earlier. We show up and got to try out the game and.....

2 Booster sets, so with the 60 boosters each, so I would say it was a hit with us. We got 5 guys to come try it out and 2 other buddies interested. We've already preordered 2 more of the gravity feed booster sets, so I think another 60 per, for uncanny X-Men and 2 of those starters as well because of reasons. Sucks it won't most likely be out till October 22nd but we got some many things to mess with I think we'll live
We LUCKILY found one more store, that is also surprisingly local and new with great deals, that had ONE starter left.
Side note it was a funny conversation "Yeah we got 8 of them in luckily and we still have...no. Wait. I have one left"
He was kind enough to set it aside so we managed to get one starter as well.

The guy who introduced was a little miffed with the sheer amount of rares we pulled out of the first booster set. Tons of Novas and Venoms. Only 1 Wolverine, Spiderman, Ironman and 2 or 3 other people I think. But we got 60 more boosters to work our way through tomorrow.

initial combos we loved:
Green Goblin +1A/D sidekicks + Punisher uncommon recycling Punisher.

Other thoughts? Rare Nova is a monster!!! I think we currently have 3 of him.
Storm is fantastic for early game defense.

Really enjoyed the game and look forward to finding out what else we got. Local scene should be starting the tournament stuff in the next month or so yeah. Pretty happy overall

Now to decide if we want to dabble in Heroclix or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

Well if y'all are interested in trading one of them to me, send me a PM. ;)

Will do. We gotta figure out who wants what cards for the deck.

I am definitely enjoying the various card strategies. I need to look at them more and better plan things out in terms of group composition.

Currently trying out:
Punisher Vigilante(When Punisher assigns to attack, search your bag for a Punisher die and put it into your prep area. Your opponent can prevent this by paying 3 life)
Green Goblin Goblin-lord(While Green Goblin is active, your Sidekick characters get +1A and +1D (no matter how many Green Goblin dice you have fielded).
Human Torch Johnny Storm(While Human Torch is active, each time you field a character, Human Torch deals 1 damage to your opponent and one to a target character (not 1 damage per Human Torch Die)
Spiderman Webslinger(When Spider-Man assigns to attack, you may pay [1 Fist] to force every opposing character to block him if able)

Basic strategy has been get human torch asap followed by Green goblin. Spam Pawns + Cycle punisher to do lots of autodamage to the enemy. Pawns attack every turn once green goblin is down
Spiderman is to pull any/all people into blocking him to allow pumped up pawns + Punisher attacks to get through

It is in no way, at least I don't think, optimized but is fun.

edit:

Phrosphor posted:

Where are you guys getting product? The two flgs in my city and the one in a nearby city that I am on good terms with the owner with can't get hold of anything.

I lucked into one store out....5 or 6 in my area having one starter. Everyone else is saying 3 weeks for another shipment to come in

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So i got some question I got to pose to other players, to try and drum up more activity in this thread as well, and also some more musings on my end.

What are people doing to answer:
Human Torch Flame On(While Human Torch is active, he deals 1 damage to a character or player each time you field a character (not 1 damage per die)
+ Nova Quasar(Each time Nova takes damage, you may draw one die and put it in your prep area)?
This is the "hotness" right now as you can get a giant chain going, as long as you roll more pawns and/or heroes to field until you have a blob of attackers to overrun your enemy?

How aggressive are you playing? IE are you going for the nickel and dime damage or are you trying to build up for the big attack? My friends seem to be pushing for the big attack. This hasn't had success against me yet as I manage to weaken them prior to the big push I JUST survive and drop the killing blow.

How set are you on your deck? Are you always reaching for the same 4 to 6 guys or do you find yourself still experimenting a lot? Do you reach for a different set of guys against new players vs experienced players?

Lastly what are some thoughts on my deck currently? Any glaring weaknesses? I am currently using
Ghost Rider Johnny Blaze(No special effects; just a low-cost die with good numbers).
He is there because he is cost 2. On a good first roll I am buying two of them and than, hopefully, by the 3rd or 4th turn I can buy some of my better guys if needed
Green Goblin Goblin Lord While Green Goblin is active, your Sidekick characters get +1A and +1D (no matter how many Green Goblin dice you have fielded)
This gets my pawns up and running a touch stronger. 2/2 might not sound like much but you can't really ignore them either over the long haul. I try to purchase him by my 2nd turn
Hawkeye Longbow(When fielded, Hawkeye deals his attack value in damage to a target opposing character)
His ENTIRE purchase is to snipe out Green Goblins, Human Torch's and the like. People who typically are buffers early game before big pushes. A throwaway scalpel

So far thats 3 energy guys. 2/3/4 Cost. All cheap and they feed one another. This is where I'm a little iffy on
My 4th person is
Mr fantastic Mask (Mr. Fantastic gets +2A and +2D while blocking)
He is only 3 mask. I use him to stop the hard hitting Hulks/Thors/Quasars that seem to float around

I rather like the setup but I am not opposed to changing it up. It has done GREAT against Human Torch + Nova + Goblin decks as I can scalpel out the support pieces and slow down the rest. Mr fantastic blocks the heavy hitters and I grind out a win. I don't have any big hitters, 5 is where I top out, but do I NEED someone who can drop 6 to 9 at a time?
My only concern with the list is the Mr fantastic global. I've used it to great effect to get people to toss strong attacks they're trying to save into the used pile but it can also draw out my Goblin support or my blocking Mr fantastic.
My work around has been bringing Distraction and trying to hold onto mask late game to force any of my guys back to the field and not attacking.

edit: I'm a little hesitant in dropping Hawkeye, of all the people, as taking out the Torch is so huge to slowing down the Torch + Nova combo. Played a buddy tonight who managed to get some BS chain going and almost kill me in one attack(we were playing this wrong according to the unofficial FAQ. Human Torch "Flame on" Ability can NOT trigger Nova over and over as all damage is simultaneously and not one after another after another). Odds were with him that he could hold out a turn to roll someone back in and finish me, 2 pawns could have killed me, but I managed to pull a hawkeye. Snipe the pawn and attack for the win.

double edit: Am I understanding Rally properly? Move up to 2 sidekicks from your used pile to your field.
Now there are only Action and characters in a used pile. So will this NOT allow you to move say a cost 0 Nightcrawler/whoever over to the field but ONLY sidekick.
If you have a basic dice that is, for example, a energy. You imply flip it to sidekick and put it in the field correct?

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 19, 2014

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Played a couple of games last night with my friend, I just have the starter but he has a booster box worth of cards.

I won both games (I think it comes down to more familiarity to cardgame-like mechanics). The first game I won by shooting my hulk with torch until he became a 19/19 and then attacking with him, a Spiderman and a few beasts, spending the one fist I needed to force everything he had to block spidey and smashing him for lethal.

Our second game played totally different, he was playing an Avengers deck with Nick Fury, and I was desperately using Storms to keep his Furies off the field. We both had Iron Man and I ended up shooting mine a lot to gain life and remain in the game. I won after a lot of back and forth but it was a really long game. My opponent defeated himself really by overbuying on power dice.

Really enjoying the game, would love to get my hands on more product so i don't have so many filler cards in my deck (Thor and Captain America I am looking at you!)

He was playing Black Widow who I would really like for a cheap fist power character to make getting into Spiderman and eventually Hulk a lot easier.

Just a couple things to note off of your description of your game.
I assume you were using Anger Issues hulk to get his stats up. I further assume he was level 2 so 2/7/7 in terms of stats
You would need 6 different things that hit him to get his stats up to 19/19 and you don't have anything in the deck, nor the amount of dice needed to do that, with the starter
By that I mean if you use Human Torch Flame OnWhile Human Torch is active, he deals 1 damage to a character or player each time you field a character (not 1 damage per die)
IE you summon a storm with 0 cost and, for example, 3 pawns. That is 4 hits to the hulk but does NOT give him +8/8 as all 4 hits are simultaneously so it would only proc the ability once.

Same deal with Iron Man. Human torch ability can't be used 3 times in a turn to give you 3 health in one go.

You CAN use Human Torch ability, Force beam and Powerbolt in one turn to activate a ability like Hulks/Iron Man 3 times but it will be at the cost of 4 health.

Official faq found here supports this on page 7 describing the Hulk and Fprce beam

In terms of a cheap fist character sadly there is only Black Widow. Luckily all of variations cost 2 so thats good
I agree though. It borderline seems mandatory to have a 2 cost character if only for the first couple turns

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 19, 2014

• Locked thread