Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004
I forget, are official wizkids events draft or constructed? I was at a small draft today where no first match ended in under 30 minutes, and only one pairing all event actually finished two matches in the 50 minute limit (and that was on the last turn of the 5 turn overtime)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, everything runs under the same system with the same rules, so next year, you can have Spiderman hanging out on the same team as Batman and some D&D monsters.

Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004
From what I've seen about the lotr stuff, it's played like quarriors, not dice masters. They both use cards/dice, and building dice pools, but the mechanics are a bit different. I don't believe it was ever meant to be compatable with dice masters (and may have come out before dice masters even)

Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004
I'm not all that interested in the yugioh series as a whole, but I still grabbed a starter and some boosters off miniature market. I figure more action cards are always a plus, from what I saw, it should fill in a few holes in the first two sets (low cost shield characters)

Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004
here's how experience works.

when a d&d monter is knocked out, all of your guys with the experience mechanic place an experience token on their card (1 per character, so if you have 2 paladins out, you still only get 1 token for that card) that token will affect all current and future of that character you field for the game. the character in question does not need to help knock anything out, or even be in combat, they just need to be active when an elegible monster goes down. So its a very strong mechanic vs pure monster decks, but is more situational when played in a mixed deck (I run the paladin that makes my guys immune to globals played by my opponent in my all-comers shield deck, so hes good without the xp, and if he happens to get some, all the better)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004

Nique posted:

Picked up a bunch of packs of this to play with my girlfriend a few months ago, ran through the basic 10 hp tutorial thing and then played a some mess around games to get familiar with the rules.

When it came to the first game we actually tried to take a bit more competitively it went terribly - she ran a fairly aggressive set, i ran more control with strong blockers. Once I set up some defense she stopped attacking because it seemed futile (under the assumption that her dice would go to KO, mine would stay in the field for surviving the hit) and we reached a stalemate just having loads of characters being added to the field but none attacking. I didn't want to attack her until I had enough to 1 shot her as if i didn't she could just let the attack through and take me out. The game dragged on and left us with a bit of a sour taste and we haven't played it since.

I'm guessing I had probably just hit what could more or less be considered a win condition but didn't have a good enough selection of characters to actually close the game out well/easily? Or is it likely we hosed something up with the rules to let the game get to this state?

It is really easy to hit a stalemate with two players new to the game. Being able to hit the opponent around his defender line is really the key to making the game work.
Some easy examples that break stalemates (I'm just using the uncanny x-men set because
Common Namor from X-men (unblockable if there are 2 other characters in the field [other Namors do not count})
Any of the Toad cards from X-men (they let you force attacks from the opposing side)
All of the Pyro cards have ways to directly hurt your opponent, even when blocked
There are also a couple characters in the starter (Cyclops and human torch can directly damage the opponent and storm lets you re-roll some of their fielded characters to mess up their plans)
There are others too, those just came off the top of my head.

In short, neither of your decks had a 'true' win condition, and the nature of the game is if neither person has a way to win, both sides just kind of keep stockpiling heroes like cold war countries stockpile bombs.

• Locked thread