Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Last Saturday my friends and I bought out literally every booster in Card Kingdom, so I guess we're playing Battle of Faerun Dice Masters now. The Dragons are all super-sweet, Breath Weapon is the perfect counter for little Swarm decks.

Got a rules question, and the volunteer/advocate guy wasn't able to answer it - my Paladin and Halfling get level-ups when they kill monsters. Two questions about this ability:
  • Is the level-up global (ie if I buy a Paladin later and recruit him, he also shares the level up)? Or is it only on the Paladin that got the kill (and goes away when he dies/goes back in the bag)?
  • Monsters. We house-ruled that Villains are also Monsters, because that has to be a cross-over that works and is just a language thing (like how Sidekicks and NPCs are identical), so killing Sabretooth is the same and killing a Kobold. Otherwise Sentinel just became OP as gently caress because he says "can't be blocked unless your opponent controls a Villain" which makes him totally unblockable in cross-genre games, and the main draw is the two games play nice together
This game is sweet as gently caress, because it's all the engine building of Dominion plus the player interaction of Magic. I like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I AM THE MOON posted:

Sentinel would be unblockable. hes unblockable vs the other set with no villains too but no 1 says u cant bring goblin along
That seems like a hilarious clusterfuck based on supporting a parasitic mechanic (overarching affiliations) that doesn't do a whole lot.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Played a game on Monday, got in a discussion about what to do about Professor X (y'know, the die that is basically a black lotus every turn?)

His argument was, "they should just print more cards in types other than Mask to give ramp to more people"

:psyduck:

Ignoring that they are messing with the chance to give every energy type an actual identity, which would be cool, the answer to "one card provides an insane, unfair tempo advantage" is not "print more of that kind of card."

It's a huge mess because the idea of standardizing your terminology across worlds when you do cross-world games (like the DC Deckbuilder from Cryptozoic or Legendary from UDE) is super, super simple but WizKids is just determined to tank it at every new set. It's dumb, but either we'll get a comprehensive errata saying "the following things are the same" or the game will just fracture more and more until they're trying to run 3+ (Marvel, YGO, D&D, DC?) parallel games and it's just a huge failure because they don't play together.

What's craziest is that WizKids has done this exact thing before, and it failed then, too - HeroClix, MageKnight and Battletech were all close to the same, but just different enough that you couldn't play them with each other, which is colossally stupid.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I AM THE MOON posted:

your opponent can use his ability

And Moat affects both players equally! :hurr: Brilliant! Balance issues solved, no need to consider how one side might set up their team to abuse the gently caress out of a broken ramp ability to buy a 7-drop on turn two. Glad we solved this conundrum, guess everyone can just keep playing without needing to worry about how every deck has to pack a die they have no intention of ever buying, just for the global ability that warps the format.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

anyone just bought a bunch of common and uncommon dice and then proxied the rest? I kind of just want to put together a drafting cube like thing for one of these games and toy around with it, if it can be done cheap enough via proxies. What's the life hack for this, how can I get enough dice cheaply?

You can get lots of the common/uncommon sets on eBay, then get images of the rare versions off of singles-seller sites. Shouldn't be too hard, just remember 1 die=1 card needed for purposes of drafting, though constructed is 4 die=1 card needed.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I AM THE MOON posted:

if they buy a 7 drop on turn 2 their cheating

Yes, literally impossible. :rolleyes:

quote:

Well lets start counting available dice. Lets assume on turn 1, you are able to purchase a single two cost die, and get left with 2 energy that can be used on Professor X’s global. You then wait for your opponents turn (silly transition zone) then use the Professor X global twice. The first usage will move the 2 sidekick dice currently in the used pile to the prep area. The second usage will move the sidekick die used to pay for the Professor X global the first time to the prep area. Now, on turn 2, you have 3 sidekick dice in prep and get to draw 4 from your bag. That is 7 possible energy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wezlar posted:

Picked up the game and played a few rounds, it's super coo. Is there any good place to buy bulk/extra character dice or am I pretty much just stuck cracking boosters until I get a ton?

eBay has sellers selling 1-of-every-die-in-this-set for $20 or so. CoolStuffInc sells singles of the Super-Rares, which is likewise more economical than packs.

Rainbow Draft is where it's at, though. :catdrugs:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Whats rainbow draft? Gimme your cat drugs

Rainbow Draft. You set all the dice up on the table, lots of people color-code them, like a rainbow!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wezlar posted:

Rainbow Draft seems cool but 12 packs per player seems like a lot for a game where you only need 8 cards. Are that many packs really required? Is it just because you need to slam multiples of the same characters to get the dice you need?

Exactly. Plus, 12 packs is literally $12. It's not like 12 packs of magic for $40. You can get gravity boxes for $44-60 on CoolStuffInc right now that keeps your cost per pack under $0.75.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fumaofthelake posted:

I think you just described my next game night.

Of note: You need lots and lots of Sidekick dice (8 per person) and those only come in starters. Starters are cheap though ($12 per?) and also have basic action cards and other dice that you could theoretically include with the rainbow draft (using 2/3 of the cards that come with the 2 dice included per starter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fumaofthelake posted:

Any first hand experience with DC dice, anyone?

My box only had 1 super-rare :kratos:

• Locked thread