Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Go to tournaments, because everyone who plays this game is a huge scrub, and I don't mean kids being kids. I started a facebook group to find players in Michigan, and everyone other than my small core group is like "I made a deck of all Doctor characters, it's undefeated in my local meta! Huh, what's "deck thinning" and why would I want to do that?"

I'll be at GenCon this year, hopefully some event gets run so I can take a completely undeserved top 32 at a major tournament.

I'm trying to get it going at my store, but the lack of available product is hurting it. It's not that there is a lot of hype, just issues with available product. This game NEEDS starters to get going. People won't get hooked on boosters without being able to get a core set to try the game with their friends. I do feel like some kind of advertising would really get this game going. It could also use an updated rule book. I'm actually glad there is a thread in SA. I came to make this thread thinking there wouldn't be one.

Got lucky enough to pull the UR Black Widow and its disgusting in the few games i've been able to try. I haven't played much but my team looks to be (and forgive me, i'm still not good with the character subtitles):

Black Widow - "Tsarina"
Nick Fury (Avengers get +1/+1)
Captain America (Sidekicks get +1/+1)
Hawkeye (When he enters play he deals damage equal to attack to character)
Hulk (Hulk or you take damage, Hulk deals 2 damage to opposing characters/players, * does 3 instead)

Haven't played a lot, but I would like to try and find a 3-drop (hopefully Avenger) character that uses wit. Haven't been able to really get the hulk going much at all, as the deck is just rush down, so he can probably be swapped for something. I need more Black Widow dice, but i'd like to try and run just 2 on Nick Fury and 3 on Captain America, and the rest into Black Widow, Hawkeye and whatever my third character ends up being. The basic action cards that give 2 characters +1/+1 (* for +2/+2) and deal 2 damage to character/opponent are also good for this team.

Edit: The one question I haven't found an answer to (using the above team): In Magic, if Hawkeye entered the field while Nick Fury is out, he enters with the +1/+1 bonus, so would he also deal the extra damage to a character?

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Countblanc posted:

I'm pretty sure four is the most any die currently uses, but since future sets will require different die, it's really a character by character basis. You'll never need more than two Colossus die, because all of his poo poo is mad expensive and I simply cannot fathom a viable deck that'd need more than two of them. Lots of characters are like this, like Thor, Phoenix, Dr. Strange, and I'm sure more. Other characters like Angel and Black Widow, well, you'll want four of those.

Some have 5. Not sure how this game will run with future sets, but I imagine they can release new character cards anytime in the future that might incorporate a 6th. Knowing a lot of collectors i'd say you'd want at least 5 of each to be safe.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

jodai posted:

Thanks for making a nice OP, countblanc. I am currently obsessed with this game despite having not played it yet. There was a small tournament last week where people were sharing starters but my schedule was already full. Luckily, it seems like it will be a regular thing. I really like the low cost buy in compared to the miniature games I usually play and it seems you could be competitive with just a starter. Ive bought a few boosters because I was hoping to get a Punisher but no dice(hahaha that joke is never going to get old). Some of the symbols on the dice are so cool and I think even if I get tired of the game, as a big Marvel fan I really like having the cool little dice.

edit: The document link seems to be broken.

The common/uncommon cards among the most powerful. The Ultra-Rares seem to be very powerful but geared to streamlined teams, but I have almost all of the rares and I still use common/uncommons. Looks like supply is going to be a major issue for the next month or so. All of my distributors were sold out of the boosters as well (starters have been gone since before the game was even released).

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
They really need to get product out for this game. We just got notice of some major events planned by WizKids and i'm worried that there won't be enough product to support what they are doing. They have major tournaments planned but I can't even find people to play with. Not saying that there aren't people that want to play it, only that they can't find starters to build upon.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This will steadily start becoming more available now. They scheduled print runs for June, July and August, so we are just now getting Junes.

Also, it hasn't been brought up yet but they announced 7 major Dice Master tournaments through the WKO. http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/open.php
National Championship Qualifiers. They will also have side event Rainbow Drafts at all WKO's. They also have a bunch of product allocated to these things, so if you can't seem to find product anywhere else, you will be able to find it at WKO's.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone got any cool ideas for a team? I'm trying to see what everyone elses metagame looks like.

I'm trying to build a team using these guys as the core:

Iceman - Too Cool for Words
Pyro - Pyrokinetic
Green Goblin - Gobby

I've been using Ghost Rider - Johnny Blaze as the fuel. Also Human Torch - Johnny Storm because it's so good. I'm still having issues with a finisher. Right now I have Professor X for the global, the SR Scarlet Witch because she is bolt energy and pretty decent, and Loki - Gem-Keeper just because. I figured having some utility might be nice.

My issue is actually finishing people. The deck seems to need to be aggressive. It does nothing to affect the board state, it just combos off into needless amounts of energy. I'm thinking of adding in Hawkeye - Longbow to get aggressive by picking off a blocker and swinging in. Also the Cyclops that increases damage dealt by bolt characters.

This is how things go now: I buy ghost rider/gobby early and start turn 2 with 6 energy. Then I try to field a sidekick and buy another character before trying to get lucky and buy a third character with Pyro. I usually get lucky and get a third. I go into turn 3 trying to field all the sidekicks and buy as many ghost rider/gobbys as I can. I usually have 6+ dice going into my turn and combo a few times for 1-2 extra characters a turn. But i'm not really doing anything but buying more dice and fielding sidekicks with a gobby thrown in when I roll them. I think Johnny Storm should be a bigger part of my plan with the number of sidekicks I field. I can also turn those sidekicks into more energy to use (Iceman global) and then try to field them on later turns.

I just think it's lacking a finisher and board wipes really hurt it. If my opponent clears my board by doing 1 damage to everything then it sets me back. I have a higher chance of rolling bolt energy on my actual characters then I do on sidekick dice, so I want to keep those on board or in my prep area.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The Avengers Vs Xmen starter has some good characters and some dice that are current meta-game favorites. I'd probably recommend that one.

So what does everyone think about the format changes? For those that haven't heard, games are no longer default best 2 out of 3. Now they are 1 game with a 30 minute round. Venues have the option to change this, but that's something they have to announce before the tournament. WizKids asked me for feedback about this weeks ago and I was kind of surprised to see them go through with it. It's a massive rules change.

I think you will mostly see tournaments being 1-game Swiss rounds with the elimination brackets being best 2 out of 3. Players will be playing more games in Swiss, which means even if you lose a round or two, there is still a solid chance you make it to the elimination rounds just based on how many matches you play. Then you get to enter a slightly more competitive format with higher stakes.

Kind of curious what everyone thought about this.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Official events can be whatever the venue wants them to be. As long as the venue lets it be known what the format will be they are free to run their events as they choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Is anyone interested in any of the WizKids Open promos? I have at least 2 of the full art Black Widow - Tsarina cards with no dice. I also have at least 1 cable and professor x.

• Locked thread