Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Xerol posted:

Getting these assembler go brr setups is only going to happen once you've invested extremely substantial amounts of time, resources, and space into getting high quality components to begin with. But yeah with the quality penalty you probably don't want to do the same "prod mods with speed beacons" build for many things. I'm wondering if science will have quality that makes packs worth more or something. Then you have tradeoffs to consider.

I bet end-game science chains will be productivity-leaning, while your malls will use quality + recyclers. which would mean, ideally, you'd have two chip chains, one for use in buildings, and one for use in science.

I feel like the balance should be that quality science is more expensive than productivity per research tick, but quality is obviously more ticks per weight.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Dr. Stab posted:

I feel like the balance should be that quality science is more expensive than productivity per research tick, but quality is obviously more ticks per weight.

This is actually a great point, it may make sense to go quality science off Nauvis if you get more research per vial. Shipping cost isn't negligible, and may more than make up the difference in effective cost.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Rosalie_A posted:

hey the ultracube mod dev posts here, right?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/cubutt

I have questions.

Xerol posted:

assembler go brr

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

ymgve posted:

It is not made by the ultracube dev though, so not sure they can answer all your questions

Xerol posted:

assembler go brr

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
the only true answer, honestly

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I actually pointed that out to a friend who was jokingly bemoaning how Factorio doesn't have any sex mods. They took it as a challenge.

Turns out the thing increases the speed of your toy the higher your factory's production is. Their problem is their toy sounds like a miniature lawnmower engine up their butt once it gets past a certain speed setting and they don't live alone. :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nah I live alone. I can be as weird as I want personally (and blast powerhouse as loud as I want when laying fresh rail).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Thank God, finally a weirder post in the Factorio thread than what earned me my av.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

FISHMANPET posted:

Thank God, finally a weirder post in the Factorio thread than what earned me my av.

lmfao

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Here, let me post a weird video I just saw to get our minds off whatever the gently caress that was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N191JgMkVyY

"Oh it's just a Factorio train city block video." Yes, but those are belts. What madness is this.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Teledahn posted:

Here, let me post a weird video I just saw to get our minds off whatever the gently caress that was.

"Oh it's just a Factorio train city block video." Yes, but those are belts. What madness is this.

:dogstare:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Teledahn posted:

Thanks, I hate it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Teledahn posted:

Okay that's loving amazing

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I am flabbergasted

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Someone finally solved sushi belts holy poo poo

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Teledahn posted:

uhhhhhh how the fuc

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

uhhhhhh how the fuc

Circuits and Magic and Elegance in motion.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I hope there will be a follow-up video explaining how that was done

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Count Roland posted:

I hope there will be a follow-up video explaining how that was done

The author added some information in a reddit post

quote:

Each block has a requester side and a provider side. When 252 items are buffered on the provider belt, the contents are advertised on the network.

If a requester block is missing 252 itemsor more of that type, it will respond to the advert and reserve a path. Each segment is only reserved for the time the items are in that segment.

What you see in the screenshots and video is just a prototype base made in creative mode. I consider it still a work in progress so the I'm not quite ready to share the blueprints. Perhaps someone with lots of experience will help me complete it.

(Technical explanation on the path finding)
The path finding is done in three stages. We create a number from the path based on right or straight decisions that are taken at each intersection.

So the number 22 circuits (10110 in binary)
1: start
0: straight
1: right
1: right
0: straight

The provider starts the broadcast with a 1 (green circuits as an example)

At each intersection the number is bit shifted left and takes both paths. One is added for the right path. When the number reaches a requester that wants that item, it knows the path that was taken by the binary. It then sends a response backwards down the path this time blocking any collisions with an (*any) wildcard)

The third stage goes from the provider to the requester a second time, this time reserving each segment as it goes.

quote:

Are the blocks reserved from the beginning of the item's trip. Yes. Each belt segment is like a hotel with 1 room. In this analogy, the time an item takes to traverse one belt segment is 1 day. So an item reserves hotel 1 on Monday, hotel 2 on Tuesday and hotel 3 on Wednesday.

Hotel 3 knows it's booked on Wednesday and won't allow anyone else to book the room for the same day. However a different item could book it for Tuesday. So each "hotel" keeps a calendar as a binary number. It also keeps a schedule of what exit you'll be taking when you're there.

Endless loops: I block the signals after 20 jumps. It can loop, but the requesters will only respond to the first thing they're interested in so repeat signals are ignored.

It was... challenging to debug. Usually the first indication something was wrong was random items getting dispersed

I figured they were encoding some sort of grid coordinates for each request that would then be matched to incoming resource packs by each intersection logic block, but that it's doing a multipass floodfill pathfinding thing where it counts and preplans a route for each logistic network tic is just extra great.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 22, 2024

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Anyone have a 8 fluid wagon length loader and unloader that works with LTN? I've found smaller ones, but I'm far too dumb to convert them to work with my 3-8 trains. And having to program all my fluid trains to run outside of LTN is taking away half the point of using LTN.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

RVT posted:

Anyone have a 8 fluid wagon length loader and unloader that works with LTN? I've found smaller ones, but I'm far too dumb to convert them to work with my 3-8 trains. And having to program all my fluid trains to run outside of LTN is taking away half the point of using LTN.

I think this one is the book I use
https://factorioprints.com/view/-LaIPNgh8f16V8EwXXpW

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Teledahn posted:

dosh please. dosh. i'm begging you

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FISHMANPET posted:

You are absolutely the first person that came to my mind.

I am so, so sorry about that.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Appreciate this, I'm also using Brian's trains bp as the basis for my rail network. My problem is he uses 1-4-1-4-1 trains which I'm sure he has a reason for, but they look extremely goofy to me. I was hoping for an X-8 layout station that was balanced.

I know it must exist, I can't be the only one using 1-8, 2-8, 3-8, whatever-8 trains. Nilaus in his LTN fluid train video even says his system built for 1-4 could be used for 2-8 if you reprogrammed it, but as I don't really understand how his 1-4 balanced station works, I have no idea how to combine 2 of them to be balanced across 8.

If Brian's has a solution in it, please point it out cause that would be great, I'm just missing it if it does.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

RVT posted:

Appreciate this, I'm also using Brian's trains bp as the basis for my rail network. My problem is he uses 1-4-1-4-1 trains which I'm sure he has a reason for, but they look extremely goofy to me. I was hoping for an X-8 layout station that was balanced.

I know it must exist, I can't be the only one using 1-8, 2-8, 3-8, whatever-8 trains. Nilaus in his LTN fluid train video even says his system built for 1-4 could be used for 2-8 if you reprogrammed it, but as I don't really understand how his 1-4 balanced station works, I have no idea how to combine 2 of them to be balanced across 8.

If Brian's has a solution in it, please point it out cause that would be great, I'm just missing it if it does.

Coulda sworn I used a 1-8-1 from there but will have to check

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

PancakeTransmission posted:

Coulda sworn I used a 1-8-1 from there but will have to check

I think there is a 1-8-1 or similar in the auxiliary Brian's trains blueprint book.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Building stations and rail improved.

They are hitting every pain point. Incredible.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Babe wake up, new death world tech just dropped.

Loving that it's canonical that the Factorio guy is superhumanly strong. Lmao at Fred Flintstoning an entire train car. All the QoL looks great too.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

redleader posted:

dosh please. dosh. i'm begging you

My thought exactly

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This FFF was strangely the most compelling yet. Good set of changes.

Someone will mod in very quickly the sound effect of Fred Flintstone pedaling his car when you push trains around.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I spy 30° rails too. I don't remember them announcing that.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

M_Gargantua posted:

I spy 30° rails too. I don't remember them announcing that.

Nearly half a year ago now https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-377

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Rail planning in map mode :fap::fap::fap:

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Bobsledboy posted:

I think there is a 1-8-1 or similar in the auxiliary Brian's trains blueprint book.

If it is in an additional bp book please point me to it. If it is in the main one, I tried to look through it comprehensively, but if it's in there, I would also be grateful if you could point me to it.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

RVT posted:

If it is in an additional bp book please point me to it. If it is in the main one, I tried to look through it comprehensively, but if it's in there, I would also be grateful if you could point me to it.

Reviewing the blueprints I think I actually may have butchered one of the normal ones for this.

Docs for Brian's trains here with links but no 1-8-1 sorry. https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1hfdz3PCpe91HOSuna6A650LsVmBjO8YACzxFemrQKqA/mobilebasic?pli=1

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Sydin posted:

Rail planning in map mode :fap::fap::fap:

I think most are underestimating how impactful this will be. It's going to make planning train networks so much easier, especially early and for those of us who despise planned block bases.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It would be cool if rail planning mode could also lay two track with a set gap or something to make freeform running easier, I generally default to a blueprint book with a snap spacing so it's easy to run but it all ends up being a boring 0/90 orientation but organic runs are such a pain with keeping things nicely spaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

It would be cool if rail planning mode could also lay two track with a set gap or something to make freeform running easier, I generally default to a blueprint book with a snap spacing so it's easy to run but it all ends up being a boring 0/90 orientation but organic runs are such a pain with keeping things nicely spaced.

You can just make larger blueprint pieces, you don't have to stay with single 1x1 tiles?