Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Bettik posted:

This suddenly came onto my radar from a few different places today and it looks amazing. Like some kind of perverted cross between Transport Tycoon and the Tekkit mod in Minecraft.

Time to get my :spergin: on, for sure.

I played the demo two days ago and bought the game 20 minutes later for the same reason: it takes my favorite parts of complex factory setups in modded Minecraft and the coolest parts of OpenTTD. The fact that it looks so much like the old Command and Conquer games is a huge plus too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

But it's so hard :negative:

I end up mining a ton of stuff by hand/getting destroyed by bugs because I'm too busy dithering over optimum design (or just trying to figure out how to make anything work, period) to actually get anything built in the first place.

But yeah, the aesthetic is gorgeous and it really scratches that spergy industrialcraft itch without being too taxing on my PC. I'll love it as soon as I can figure out why these loving boilers aren't working! :argh:

I did the same thing at first, and didn't really get the hang of things until I played the campaign. The first campaign is super basic "learn the interface" stuff, but the second campaign "New Hope" is just what I needed to get used to the complex systems one at a time.

It gradually eases you up the tech tree, and the best part is since each mission starts you in a brand new area so you aren't punished for building as you learn. This is extra helpful because the campaign does a great job of having you stumble across different factory setups so you get exposed to many different ways of optimizing and organizing.

I've spent more hours than I care to admit playing since Friday, and I would strongly recommend people play through the New Hope campaign before jumping into freeplay. It's not absolutely necessary, but it saves you the frustration of constantly having to tear things down and re-optimize when you learn something new.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Bhodi posted:

I'm not sure why anyone would ever use electric furnaces. They're bigger, suck power, and you've got more solid fuel than you know what to do with during plastic/lubricant refinement to shove into steel furnaces. The electricity savings alone are worth avoiding them.

It'd be nice if they smelted at 3.0 to make them at least somewhat desirable if you've got massive amounts of power.

Also, just made the airplane. I want more missions! :argh:

You don't need an extra belt and loaders for coal/fuel, and best of all you can install modules in them. With the right modules they are much faster than steel furnaces.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is it normal for biter nest clusters to be enormous with like 50-100 spawners?

How do you kill that? Flamethrowers and power armor?

It can happen sometimes, but I don't think it's too common on default worlds. If it's not too far away, I'd recommend setting up a thick wall and a bunch of laser turrets nearby, then doing drive-bys with a combat shotgun and piercing ammo. With that, you can drive up to a spawner, kill it in 2-4 shots, then drive back to the fort you built to deal with the biters that come after you. When they're gone and you repair everything, you can go back in for a second pass. Running up in power armor might work, but it's a little risky since with ~100 spawners you could get overwhelmed quickly.

When I do that I usually load up my power armor with a ton of laser defense modules and no shields at all to help out a bit.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

My current least-favorite thing about the game is that you can't automate blue science production without spending 100 blue science.

I don't think this is true because I've never manually produced any blue science.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Ra-amun posted:

How quick is everyone getting to blue science production? I have a fifteen hour save that I stopped playing with mostly the power armor / purple science stuff left to research but I like to run around and watch my factory do its thing.

Sometimes I won't have anything researching either while I try to figure out a way for my factory to look as aesthetically pleasing as possible. There was a big gap of time for me after green science where I didn't do much with oil while I was trying to set up a nice looking refinery setup.

I usually try to get to blue science production before I need more than 12 steam engines' worth of power (the most steam power I usually let myself use in any one game before moving to solar), that way when I start ramping up the pollution with extra factories and miners I'll have enough upgrades to make large biters manageable. You can get pretty far without purple science, but blue science takes the big biter nests from being impossible to modestly difficult with only a handful of techs.

The other thing is that once you start polluting hardcore, biter bases will not just grow, but will start spawning in already-explored ares. I don't usually use radar, so it's a nasty shock to drive over an area that you haven't visited in 5-6 hours only to find a 20-spawner nest in the way of your planned expansion. It's much less nasty when you have piercing shells and a combat shotgun.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

I think you'll really enjoy the game with peaceful mode off. The logistics game is incredibly fun, but there's something deeply satisfying at having a constant threat that is proportional to your progress, capable of easily destroying your entire base if you're unprepared, and easily contained with the right defenses and preparation. I never liked the combat in Anno games, but this seems completely different from that. Anno's combat feels perfunctory - something they added because hey, RTS games all need combat.

Factorio's combat feels much more integral to the whole game - a kind of hubris check that stops you from growing too complacent. It's never aggressive and threatening in the same way that a true RTS AI is, but it's just enough that you can't ignore your defenses and leave a wing of your factory undefended once things really get going. Anno is still a great series, but it's never grabbed me in the same way as Factorio does. There's just something about the feeling of building a bubble of affluence and safety in a deeply hostile world that makes this game so rewarding.

I keep forgetting this game is still in alpha because I feel like this game is 100% for me. I played a lot of games that played at the outer edges like Dune 2, the SimCity series, the Anno Series, Minecraft, Stranded, UnReal World, but none of them hit is as squarely as this game does.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

whiteshark12 posted:

I'm currently drowning in the amount of iron ore i'm getting from my train network, is it more efficient to smelt iron in electric or steel furnaces? I can stick speed modules in the electric furnaces but they're bigger and I have access to solid fuels anyway so that isn't much of a problem.

It depends on what you're primary concern is - electric furnaces running speed 3 modules will always be more space-efficient than steel furnaces, but they'll be a good deal less energy efficient. Steel is more energy efficient, if solid fuel is a negligible cost for you, but the pollution can get very bad compared to electric furnaces running off solar, so you have to devote more time and resources to defenses.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Gibbo posted:

You say that like most of the new players Steam will bring are going to be a good thing.

More people playing a good game is a really good thing. The current userbase had a lot of bad ideas too, but the developers aren't trying to cater to the whim of every fan. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Does this game have a demo? I didn't see one on the site and I'm not spending $20 for something that looks similar to factorio without playing it first.

I've been waiting for this to enter beta since hearing about it ages ago, so I went ahead and bought it. I'll try to play it for a few hours and report back so people will know if it's complete garbage or not at least.

Also, Sips just posted a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znSPAdmvpZE