Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm addicted. The game absolutely blows up in complexity REALLY fast, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, I got blue science packs working.

:shepicide:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I usually just put the furnace directly in front of the mining drill.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Electric mines output faster than stone furnaces can process, FYI.

That's what electric furnaces are for. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hihohe posted:

So do we have a date on when it will come to steam. So far the game seems fun. http://youtu.be/N9-7uLg-DZU
Play this on loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SW6qVLSVzw&list=PLD45596E4E930758A

You're welcome. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xarph posted:

Thanks to the goon who suggested Raymond Scott - Powerhouse for background music, I performed this operation as a public service: http://labs.echonest.com/Uploader/index.html?trid=TRBSWBB145F1D8DB49

Thanks to you, I have found a way to force people to commit suicide.

http://labs.echonest.com/Uploader/index.html?trid=TRQRIFX13D3CEE1D5A&thresh=80&bp=100,100,100

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 13, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The central belt method sure does look pretty, but some of the routing I had to do to get everything to fit was :psyduck: inducing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Keep in mind, robots have a miserable throughput compared to belts.

Defining throughput [tp] as items per second...

Belts carry ~7 items per square (similarly, they store ~7 items per square in queue)
Basic belt: 1.8 tiles/sec = 13 tp
Fast belt: 3.6 tiles/sec = 25 tp
Express belt: 5.4 tiles/sec = 38 tp
Source: Wiki

I tested inserters by dropping a stack of 64 things in a chest, then patiently waiting for the inserter to work with a stopwatch. :goleft:
Burner: who cares
Basic Inserter: 64 items in 76 seconds = 0.84 tp
Fast/Smart: 64 in 32 sec = 2 tp
Long-handed: 64 in 55 sec = 1.2 tp
When relevant, multiply by stack size research.

Trains are tricky. One car holds 15 stacks; usually 960 ore.
Testing on a huge straightaway, 640 tiles, an unburdened engine took just about twelve seconds!! to complete. The engine said it was going 1.2 Speed. In practice, I saw my typical trains averaging 0.7 Speed, and two-headed trains averaging 0.5, plus acceleration, your mileage may vary.

So call a train 0.5 speed on average, or 27 tiles/sec, with 960 items, is 25600 tp. The typical empty return trip halves the tp to a "mere" 12800, plus ten seconds of stopping at stations when optimized. This is variable, with longer distance stations taking less of a hit to tp than closer stations- especially since the train is more likely to cap its speed. Also, multiply that by the number of cars in your train. Yea.

Logicstics robots carry 1+Upgrades items over several seconds dependent on speed upgrades and distance, but even in the best case I doubt they could hit whole numbers of tp. My personal rule of thumb is to use logistics robots on things that take several seconds to craft only: processors, robot frames, science, and electric engines.

E: Fun fact: You can do the old Wallace and Gromit 'lay tracks in front of a speeding train' trick

Your math on trains is wrong. A full train of 960 items on a 30 second loop is 32 tp, to use your definition. The further a station is, the lower the tp of each train on the loop (but the more trains you can fit in the loop).

And can we just call tp IPS (Items Per Second)?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Implement the tech tree from WZ2100. TIA.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Are there any good Factorio videos on YouTube? I was reading through the Factorio blog and they mentioned some "direwolf20" videos and I'm watching them and they're awful because he's insufferable and also really bad at this game (He's been playing for 2-3 hours and he's not even automating the production of basic circuits).

This is also not doing much to change my perception that people that make YouTube videos of them playing games and the people that then watch those videos are basically insufferable.

I really want to like Gepwin's "Conquer the World" series, but he's just so fatiguing to listen to. :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Their complaint is at getting frustrated that they get stuck because they didn't anticipate something and have to rebuild a big chunk or restart or whatever. Everyone that plays this game does that - I've restarted 20+ times, and I still don't feel like I have a good way of building a base that won't require massive rework later. Some people really enjoy that and some get frustrated at it. It's honestly why I've gotten burned out on the game - I get the urge to start over again around the time I get to trains, so I never get to the endgame stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kaxman posted:

The biters are basically chumps in this game. You can go clearing nests with a handful of turrets and the first shotgun. Probably even earlier if you want. I've had some fun playing around with the harcorio mod but the guy that makes it seems to be kind of an idiot and I don't really agree with his philosophy of "make everything cost nine billion resources," but having more varied enemy types that can actually mess you up is quite fun.

Blowing up huge sections of your base becomes pretty trivial once you get some roboports going.

I dont' know why, but I hate the idea of roboports. They feel like cheating. Then again, I've never gotten that far, so they could be a lot more balanced than I'm imagining.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ModeSix posted:

So are you saying that Dytech is actually good and/or balanced now?

"Good and/or balanced" is not mutually inclusive with "fun."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is the rocket defense the Noah's Ark burger?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh Jesus Christ sorry. I fixed it.
Odds are you only got the 403 page, it's even worse if you have an account there.

This was the exact face I had when I clicked that link.

I'm never going to be able to look at your avatar the same way again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When do the Friday updates typically come out? Isn't it like 5:30 for those guys right now?

I can't stand the anticipation! I need to know if we'll have a release to play this weekend!

Edit: gently caress.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm still hoping they implement the weapon tech tree from WZ2100. It would fit the game perfectly. I wanna surround my base with Howitzers, damnit!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Elth posted:

The stone paths are amazing. You can build them by using stone bricks on the ground. They even speed you up when placed under transport belts, for maximum going fast.

That seems like a bug....

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A setup like this should let you handle any combination of up to 5 ingredients in any train without backing up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's the part I just burn out on. All of a sudden everything has a million dependencies.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Truga posted:

I usually waste this time by researching *everything possible* that doesn't require blue science.

At that point, I end up with so much crap I've researched that I can now build that it's overwhelming. The expansion curve is just weird.

Maybe if things took longer to research.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I decided to try Bob's Mods out for a change/new challenge. Just completed blue science.

This is what a blue science factory looks like. gently caress you, Bob!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 14, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I did make one change to Bob's Mods to fix something that drove me completely loving insane. I got rid of "synthetic wood" since it breaks your auto crafting for any recipe with normal wood in it. Instead, chemical plants can produce wood boards directly, which I renamed "particle board" for flavor reasons.

Overall, I really don't like Bob's Mods. Having a billion ores and chemicals and production taking multiple steps with no additional inputs through several different types of factory just doesn't feel like good gameplay to me.

I think the original game needs more levels of technology, but this isn't the way to do it.

Edit: There's already a Bob's Mods multiplayer Let's Play on Youtube. It's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnMeIdBGqxY

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kenlon posted:

If you're not going to go Full Isengard and build an enormous smoke belching death fortress, what's the point? I'm actually in the preparation stages of a modded Factorio Let's Play, featuring Bob's Mods.

I'm 18 hours in and using RSO with default settings (extra biters, though). There aren't any resources to do that poo poo. I'm actually kind of sick of Factorio again. That's a problem I have with this game - I can't spend more than ~20 hours before I get bored of it, which isn't nearly enough to get to anything cool (I always quit around the time I get to robots).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

At some point, that turns into Cookie Clicker; except while consuming all your computer's resources.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kjoery posted:

Every videogame turns into cookie clicker at some point.

This is literally only true of resource building games. BRB, playing cookie clicker.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

lohli posted:

Do you mean buffers?

Also it sounds like you're talking about tower-defense game style mazing.

That's pretty much what baffle means, yes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

That's what I mean about endgame - once you've tapped out your research your factory consumption plummets. I'm totally happy building an ever-extending factory to meet an ever-growing demand but it needs to actually do that.

There are mods that add endless upgrades such as weapon damage with ever-increasing research costs.

At some point, I'd like to see a really deep military tech tree with the ability to do PvP. I always thought something like the WZ2100 tech tree would be suitably deep.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Apocadall posted:

WZ2100 was great, I should play it again sometime. Yes though there needs to be a better military system such as some way of commanding military drones without you being there. Or being able to launch satellites and nukes. I mean yeah we have these large factories and automated production systems with some drone uses but a lot of the military side of things isn't even close to what we do know from a commanders point of view.

I don't feel the player should need to be anywhere near the combat zone, that's a robots job, or a nukes.

Absolutely agree. And the enemy needs to be much more powerful to compensate.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Yeah, but you'll have to get in there to disable their hand.

If you aren't going for the MCV first, you're doing it wrong.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Caconym posted:

Holy loving poo poo, WZ2100 is open source and has been since 2004. :aaa:

See you in 3 weeks, bombarding poo poo with a battery of 25 rotary howitzers.

Rotary. Howitzers. :black101:

If you're not rushing down the indirect fire tree and filling your base with those, you're playing it wrong.

Edit: Ripple rockets, too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm a big fan of the way Steejo does science.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Eh, it really trivializes turret creeping (more than normal).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Depends what you want. Ultra complexity? Quality of life improvements? Deeper combat? Long games? Totally different feel?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Probably with a distance limitation like logistics networks to avoid being over powered. It would also be cool if your player had to be within range to get things like radar info and logistics counts.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

On the plus side, if you do find a spot with all the resources, there will be a ton of them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's crazy the number of goons that joined in high school and are now adults.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cooling towers should remove hot water from the pipe similar to the incinerator mod you have. I'm using a slightly modified version of that (that lets me use water with the venting tower) to control some hot water capacitors currently.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You would actually want to feed two iron into one steel belt and have one iron left over to be roughly even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Could have sworn... :psyduck: