Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Why did I have to find out that this game was updated?! After spending a few hours last night in a new sandbox game, I'm considering tearing everything down and starting from scratch, with all my updated tech. Does anyone else do this, or am I the only one with a crippling lack of organization and foresight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

Aaag, why is the power monitor so hard to read? I can never tell when I'm overcapacity or falling short.

Clicking on a power pole will give you a much better picture of your power production/use.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Every time i get a significant upgrade, i feel the need to completely overhaul my whole system. I did it when i got upgraded power poles and just spent 3 hours rebuilding from scratch after electric furnaces. :smithicide:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

exhaust coal reserves?

:lol:
Personally, I've never even had to move a miner, let alone migrate to a new source of coal. Although, I'm only running ~15 engines, with boilers to keep up. My bigger problem is running out of real estate for new engines.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I finally dipped my toes into robotics. Now I have to overhaul my base once again. :smithicide:
Really, it was due for a remodel anyway. I had a central bus system for about 10 minutes then it all fell apart.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Fans posted:

This game owns bones, tried the demo then got the full thing yesterday and been having fun making factories so convoluted and ugly that I dare not link them for fear of what it'll do to people.

It'd probably help if I had a building strategy, rather than just appending whatever I feel I need onto what's currently going until there's a mess of inserters, tunnel, conveyer belt loops and crates everywhere. It's fun to watch it when it all works though, even if it doesn't work very well.

Most of the time you spend ingame is overhauling your base. Usually for me, getting electric furnaces is the start of a complete teardown as I have to make room for the new smelters, reorganize my coal line and streamline all the factories I've poo poo out all over the place.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Neruz posted:

The goal is to make your factory self-replicating so it automatically expands, crushing aliens and slurping up resources until eventually the entire map is covered in machinery.

Factorio: Logistics chain and Grey Goo Simulator.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Kin posted:

I just got this and have started working my way through the tutotials. I just finished the intro to electricity one but i couldn't get a self sufficient setup running.

I had the steam engine powering the coal miner and then changed the initial setup a bit to have inserters pointing to each of the boilers and rerouted the conveyor belt from the electric miner to them. My logic being that the steam generator powered the miner and the inserters which keep feeding the boilers with coal to produce the electricity. The thing is, the inserters refused to put coal in the boiler.

I tried various positions and am pretty sure that i got it right, it just refused to insert things into the boiler.

Am i missing something?

Are the boilers full? The inserters won't continue stuffing coal into boilers forever; only until the boiler doesn't need any more, usually 5(iirc) chunks.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Boogalo posted:

This is our most recent fossil fuel nightmare

Also, behold the fish-go round: http://i.imgur.com/RNn9yaZ.webm

I get a very Blue Ball Machine feel from this.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Krataar posted:

There needs to be an automated way to deal with biters.

A tank, a personal roboport, and pockets full of repair packs. bonus points for Destroyers.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Phssthpok posted:

I've been trying a new high-productivity foundry pattern. I really like how elegant it is, but it's bottlenecked by one belt of output.

Is having iron, copper, and stone available to smelt by design? If so, how do you determine what gets worked on and when? Looks like a nice, compact, if somewhat inefficient design.

E: I started playing around with trains this weekend, which led to me solving my green circuit shortage by starting a new outpost and completely outsourcing manufacturing; bringing them into my all-purpose depot. That got me wondering about rebuilding my bus and integrating logistics support. Have each line fed by a series of requester chests, and have all finished products sent to a central storage. What else am I supposed to do with my 1300 logistic robots?:shepspends:

Royal W fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 24, 2015

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I just looked again and realized those are smart inserters, not chests. Now I'm imagining one huge central foundry that processes ore in batches based on demand using combinators.
I'm surprised that I haven't really seen any kind of absurd wizardry being done with the new logic system yet, it seems like a rather robust system.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Phssthpok posted:

What do you mean by inefficient? Almost all the furnaces have the maximum number of effect sources.
Inefficient may have been the wrong word, sorry. I've just never seen a layout like that before, and the ore and plate on the same belt looks really bizarre and frightening.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Solumin posted:

Thanks for the advice! I started over with a new game to try it out. The bus is so much easier to handle! I went with the really simple Iron Plate--Copper Plate--Green Circuit bus, though I might expand it with red circuits once I get those going.

Now I'm trying to transport batteries and plastic from my petrochemical plant up to the main factory. I think trains + logistic robots would be the easiest way, since there's a lot of geography in the way...

If your oilfields aren't too far away, you can run them closer to your base before setting up your refineries. You can also put liquids on your bus by running underground pipes. Running lubricant, petroleum, and water will help keep your manufacturing all in the same area and can keep you from having a million sulfur and plastic bars in belt storage.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Did the steam release come with any improvements? I remember that a proper patch was forthcoming, but have there been any tweaks?

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Has anyone done any good gameplay video series' on this, by chance? I could use something to watch while zoned out too much to actually play :v:

Arumba is a pretty good player and youtuber. He is doing a series right now with another streamer and they're up to 60 episodes.
I don't know if an LP is exactly what you're looking for, but try this on.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Sillybones posted:

Recommend me a mod, please.

RSO is fun if you like making a massive train network. It starts you off with some of all the necessary resources, then puts more plentiful spawns far away from your starting location.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

That Gobbo posted:

So I'm about 7 hours into a freeplay game, and realize I'm going to need purple science packs soon. Alien artifacts are needed for them, but I either turned aliens off or to very low. Is there a quick way to add some in or did I gently caress myself?

If you turned biters off altogether, you're hosed and you'll have to console some in or find a mod to create purple science. If you just turned them really low and sparse, start pounding sand to find some spawners.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Truga posted:

Oh here's an idea. Would it be possible to make a train horn mod that fires when the train is 5 seconds away from the player at current speed, and the player is standing near a rail? That would make them a lot less dangerous, especially at high speed sections.

Level crossings with crossbars would be neat. You should be able to integrate it into the rail signal circuit somehow.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Tulip posted:

Finally got up to the point where I can use Blueprints reliably, feels badass to roll up to a new patch of ore, drop an entire foundry system on top of it, and then just have to figure out the mines and the bus.

Still haven't figured out trains, even at a rudimentary level.

The hardest part for me is having some sort of strategy for getting Logistic System. Once I have Logistic System I can generally get things working pretty fast, but the period of needing blue beakers without having logibots is really tough for me. My base is always such a mess at that point.

Find somewhere near your oil to set up refineries, then run underground pipes of petroleum, lubricant, and sulfuric acid to your assembly area. Make them another channel of your bus, and you'll hace access to them where it's needed.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
New Friday Facts; not much news patch-wise, but Phone Factorio is looking like A thing.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

When are robots actually better/easier/more effective to use than conveyor systems?

Over short distances, using robots to ferry components to assemblers can be easier than rebuilding belt infrastructure. You don't want to use bots to carry things from one end of the factory to the other, though. They can't carry too much and run out of charge quickly.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Chakan posted:

I started playing this game a couple of days ago and it's great fun, but now that I understand a lot of the basics I'm looking around and it's hard to find layouts of factories people have done and interesting designs. I've read the last ten pages or so, bur it's almost building a computer chat and bot logistics. That, combined with the age of the OP have made trying to find resources beyond the wiki pretty difficult.

So, are there youtube channels or text/screenshot guides to concepts, timing, and the like to help a newer player? I watched a thing on braiding that seems very cool and useful and was trying to find similar stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfdct1J6Sk
This guy has some neat builds, and he's pretty descriptive about what he's doing.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
You could console in alien artifacts if you want.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

DarkSol posted:

I guessing I am missing something then, because the "consumption" and "production" metrics in the top left are not intuitive at all. If what you're saying is true, shouldn't those metrics be swapped. In that my power consumption is a fraction of the power produced?

Your current production is not the same as your max potential. You'll never produce more power than you consume. If your factory is fully powered with 50% of your generators running, then they'll only run at 50%.
But still, I agree with ShadowHawk, check your water temp. If your engines get water <100C (ideally), they won't output at 100% efficiency. The ideal setup is, I think, 13 boilers to 10 engines, without getting into electric pump wizardry.
E:f;b

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

zedprime posted:

I think the current idea is you are launching a mapping satellite to identify places for colonistsinvaders to land/identify the extent of the biter infestation native civilization.

Factorio: Alien Blight Simulator.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

zedprime posted:

Bunch of hippies in the Factorio thread? Mods?

I'm not saying it in a bad way. I just think it's important to go in with your eyes open.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Dootman posted:

On both the current loco and the .13 loco there's an arrow on the roof to tell you which direction it's facing.

For the current loco:

:aaaaa:
How did I never notice this?

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

I built my first rocket silo and I know have a bunch of assemblers making rocket fuel and low density parts. My copper supply has gone slightly cold, so I probably cleared out a row. I finally have enough red and green circuit production (for now) with 6 groups of 3:2 circuit factories using assembler 3 with 4x speed 2.

I need to look into better furnace setups. I've got four rows of electric furnaces saturating two blue belts that are balanced and feed a lot of the circuit production and the scraps after the wire assemblers ravage the belt merge and feed the rest of the factory. I don't think I can add more consumers without starting to be limited by belt capacity again.

You could set up more furnaces and run the output on a bypass to where your supply starts to thin out.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
This combines my most and least favorite parts of Factorio: new shines and starting a new factory. :smithicide:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

BrainMeats posted:

The new RSO doesn't seem to have the infinite, percentage based resource deposits like before. It's just the regular set number. What up with that?

RSO always had static amounts in its mineral patches, I thought.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

So has game.local_player. been changed to something else? I can't get the console working for anything. I keep getting LuaGameScript doesn't contain key local_player errors.

E;

Digging through the API local_player has been changed to simply: player

Thank you for this.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Is there a way, using the new switches, to make a threshold switch for, say, keeping flamer fuel tanks between a certain level. For example, a command to debarrel crude if the tanks reads <700, continue until the tank is >=2000, and then stop until it hits 700 again? I haven't been able to play, but my napkin engineering tells me that the default behavior for a series of switches would just keep it topped off without a rest period.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Kraven Moorhed posted:

What's the preferred mod suite these days for someone who hasn't played in a year+?

I don't know if they integrated it into .13, but <.12, RSO was highly recommended. There are a few QoL/slightly cheaty mods like Long Reach and Autofill that are amazing to have. FARL used to be a must-have too, especially with RSO, but I don't think it's as big a deal anymore.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Yeah, I was talking about Autofill, not Landfill. :shobon:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Ambaire posted:

What's that, from the alpha version?

It looks like it's from a really early build.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I started today with a problem I was thinking about all day and a method to fix it.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Really dumb question about train stops: does the "wait until" parameter for a stop in a train route determine when the train advances to the stop, or when the train leaves that stop?

All of the conditions at train stops are instructions for the train to depart. Once a train pulls in, it is under control of the stop.
*Logic fuckery could throw this out the window, but I'm no factorio systems engineer.
E: Now I'm wondering about having a yard with a bunch of trains in storage, and circuit lines between the yard and outposts where trains are dispatched based on need. I run power with my rail lines anyway, so it wouldn't be too much trouble to add in a circuit network.

Royal W fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 23, 2016

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
So I got my Train call system to work. Is there any way without mods to give if/then commands to a train? eg:If Iron reports full, go to iron/If copper reports full, go to copper. Do trains have to go to stops in the order in the list without skipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

I think they can skip the stop if you deactivate the stop, which you can trigger on the circuit network.

I only read about that though.

The only option I get when wiring up a train stop is "send to train"