Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

zedprime posted:

From where to where? I have never seen a crude tanker, but I have also lived where just about every drop moves by barge and pipeline.

Mostly in oil boom areas where we haven't yet built pipeline infrastructure, ie frakking country like North Dakota

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

Mostly in oil boom areas where we haven't yet built pipeline infrastructure, ie frakking country like North Dakota

Also to get oil to refineries that used to rely on imports from overseas.

http://priceofoil.org/rail-map/

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Trabisnikof posted:

Also to get oil to refineries that used to rely on imports from overseas.

http://priceofoil.org/rail-map/
Makes sense there's some capacity going by rail, but fyi that website is self admittedly just the NA rail map overlaid on top of a map of active oil infrastructure

quote:

The rail lines displayed on the map include the entire North American rail network. A lack of public information makes it very difficult to accurately determine which sections are currently carrying crude oil trains. As more information is made available to the public, we will update the map accordingly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zedprime posted:

Makes sense there's some capacity going by rail, but fyi that website is self admittedly just the NA rail map overlaid on top of a map of active oil infrastructure

Yeah but it is prettier than this http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/transportation/#tabs-summary-2

Looks like the most is being shipped from the Midwest to the Pacific Coast. For a total of almost 16M barrels shipped by rail in March or like 3-5% of total US production (napkin math). But seeing as the US is the largest producer that still ends up being a bunch of tanker cars.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

You can also guess where oil is being shipped by rail by just looking at where the proposed pipelines are. EG here's one from North Dakota to Illinois: http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/03/10/3758562/iowa-approves-bakken-pipeline/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I like oil trains because of the decline curve in Factorio. I can have one train that goes by all my old wells and collects the trickle in while other trains are directly dedicated to the fresher fields.

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

From where to where? I have never seen a crude tanker, but I have also lived where just about every drop moves by barge and pipeline.

Eastport, Idaho, to Tacoma, Washington?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I would be down with a mod that caused derails if the track is destroyed by biters etc. Then use the new fire mechanics for the oil tankers!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

I would be down with a mod that caused derails if the track is destroyed by biters etc. Then use the new fire mechanics for the oil tankers!

That would be so infuriating though. It wouldn't even be fun to deal with. You'd have to defend entire lines of track, and put down hundreds of turrets, just for the possible chance of a biter taking out one of your rails.

And then the train derails and loses all it's items? Nah, I'll pass.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
What about a train derail if it gets attacked by biters too much and then we'd have a reason to HAVE GUNS ON TRAINS

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
High end tech: AC-130 cannon mounted into a railcar. Requires someone specifically manning it to point/shoot, only has 160* firing arc, but throws an explosive shell with distance and explosive power to rival nukes.

Wait.. Why don't we have nukes? Make them use alien artifacts so you have to come back to base, bloodied and bruised and decide to use an assembly 3 for 10 minutes to make a single nuke that will wipe out huge chunks of the map, but will permanently force biters back from that area (and you) for thousands of years... :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The real reason to have guns on trains is to run tracked artillery and attack nests (and unsuspecting multiplayer friends :v:) from stupidly long distances.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I started a new factory on Saturday

It's Monday and I'm not sure what happened between then and now.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Renegret posted:

I started a new factory on Saturday

It's Monday and I'm not sure what happened between then and now.

This is what medical professionals are starting to refer to as "Factorio Comas" or "Factorio Blackouts"

They usually find the affected patients shambling around in a daze, mostly late at night, muttering strange things to do with "biters" and "productivity modules"

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I took a break from cleaning last night for an hour to play Factorio. I set an alarm. I went back to cleaning 2.5 hours later.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I straight up forgot to eat dinner last night. Ate lunch, said I'll play a few hours then do some chores, suddenly it was 9:30PM and my whole day gone.

I haven't marathoned a video game like this since I was a teenager and I can't say it makes me feel very good :(

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Renegret, your icon is the loving best thing I've seen all day

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Dumb rail signal question. I understand the functioning of the regular 'block'-style signals, but I'm still slightly confused by chain signals. Do chain signals also divide tracks into smaller blocks, which can then only be entered if there's an open exit available? Or do chain signals look ahead to the next block signal or something?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question :negative:

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
The latter.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ignoranus posted:

Dumb rail signal question. I understand the functioning of the regular 'block'-style signals, but I'm still slightly confused by chain signals. Do chain signals also divide tracks into smaller blocks, which can then only be entered if there's an open exit available? Or do chain signals look ahead to the next block signal or something?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question :negative:

They just look ahead. So if you've got an intersection and there's a bit of rail that you don't want a train sitting on (because it can cause either a crash or unneeded traffic) just stick a rail signal and it'll look ahead to see if the way is clear. If it isn't, the train waits at where you placed the signal and that way traffic isn't impeded.

They're great for doing a layby as well, somewhere a train can pull into and wait, so you can have really high throughput on traffic

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

So what's the difference between chain -> chain -> block and just block -> nothing -> block?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ShadowHawk posted:

So what's the difference between chain -> chain -> block and just block -> nothing -> block?

On a single line? Nothing at all.

Chain signals mostly come in handy when you start building intersections and other more complicated layouts.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

http://imgur.com/a/CxXxd

Have a browse through that to see the uses of signals. On more complex intersections that see lots of trains running through them, you'll see they add chain signals.

Basically, if you've got a piddly small line with only one or two trains, you can usually get away with just using the regular old signals. Once you start having more trains in your network, chain signals are a lifesaver.

To answer your "What's the difference" question: basically, with a block -> nothing -> block, there's nothing in the middle preventing a train from clogging up the intersection. So say the block signals all show green, the train moves forward, but then another train turns onto the track and causes that last block signal to turn red? You've not got a big train sitting on the tracks. Best case scenario is it just blocks other trains, worst case scenario is it causes a crash.

Chain signals just protect you from that and make it so you don't have to worry about trains, or hauling rear end to go and fix a problem.

This is a good pic to demonstrate what I mean. The chain signals keep intersections clear at all times, and only allow trains to pass through if there's a definite free path.

At a glance, signals seem confusing as gently caress, but once you get your head wrapped around them (they're not too difficult to understand, read http://guide.factorio.com/10-trains.html it's awesome and helped me get signals) they're super simple. Get out there and make a few tracks yourself, you'll almost definitely have problems but you'll slowly figure out where you're going wrong and it'll just make it easier in the future. I messed around with small, simple networks, and then progressed to harder ones and it was a great learning experience.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 16, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's no risk of a crash using only block signals, you just risk deadlock. Signals won't allow two trains into the same block which means they'll never be able to collide, unless you start manually controlling them.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I built my first rocket silo and I know have a bunch of assemblers making rocket fuel and low density parts. My copper supply has gone slightly cold, so I probably cleared out a row. I finally have enough red and green circuit production (for now) with 6 groups of 3:2 circuit factories using assembler 3 with 4x speed 2.

I need to look into better furnace setups. I've got four rows of electric furnaces saturating two blue belts that are balanced and feed a lot of the circuit production and the scraps after the wire assemblers ravage the belt merge and feed the rest of the factory. I don't think I can add more consumers without starting to be limited by belt capacity again.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

I built my first rocket silo and I know have a bunch of assemblers making rocket fuel and low density parts. My copper supply has gone slightly cold, so I probably cleared out a row. I finally have enough red and green circuit production (for now) with 6 groups of 3:2 circuit factories using assembler 3 with 4x speed 2.

I need to look into better furnace setups. I've got four rows of electric furnaces saturating two blue belts that are balanced and feed a lot of the circuit production and the scraps after the wire assemblers ravage the belt merge and feed the rest of the factory. I don't think I can add more consumers without starting to be limited by belt capacity again.

You could set up more furnaces and run the output on a bypass to where your supply starts to thin out.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Royal W posted:

You could set up more furnaces and run the output on a bypass to where your supply starts to thin out.

Yeah, the problem is that my current setup doesn't have room for width expansion because I had never gotten to the point where I could saturate a blue belt, let alone two, and always just extended the length of furnace rows. So, I need to rejigger the whole thing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm going to risk being branded a heretic and say you can launch a rocket fairly quickly without ever touching blue belts. So an alternative is just doing a production control sanity check because good god man, saturating blue belts is decently low rocket/minute territory.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It's my insatiable lust for green circuits that is consuming it all. The near term problem is bringing up the ore production, as the train unload chests finally emptied meaning I need more ore production and until I get that up I'm no longer saturating the belts

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So fuckin hype for the release, I really hope it's coming out today.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
A dev just posted this on the steam forums - they'll release 0.13 on the beta branch first, so you need to opt-in for that if you want it ASAP.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any words from the devs regarding getting (or not) a discount in the Summer Sale?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Mystic Stylez posted:

Any words from the devs regarding getting (or not) a discount in the Summer Sale?

Steam Store page posted:

Discount Disclaimer: We don't have any plans to take part in a sale or to reduce the price for the foreseeable future.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Should I just start a new game for .13? I have a lot of rail. I can get by if tanker cars and express pumps break, because I can fall back to barreling/unbarreling. The only other mod I use is RSO.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
^^ Yes

Mystic Stylez posted:

Friday Facts #140 posted:

No Factorio sale
We state it on our steam page, but people are still asking about it so I want to state it officially. We don't plan any Factorio sale. I'm aware, that the sale can make a lot of money in a short period of time, but I believe that it is not worth it in the long run, and since we are not in financial pressure we can afford to think in the long run. We don't like sales for the same reason we don't like the 9.99 prices. We want to be honest with our customers. When it costs 20, we don't want to make it feel like 10 and something. The same is with the sale, as you are basically saying, that someone who doesn't want to waste his time by searching for sales or special offers has to pay more.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The new FFF: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-143

The release date for 0.13 is now fixed for the 27th of June, they wanted more time to test and finish the mod portal basics but also wanted to set themselves a hard deadline.
The rest of the FFF talks about MP and the network changes they're going to test in the next week.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

tbh I don't really care much about the mod portal. I wish they'd release 0.13 as is and add the mod portal later on. The way we download and install mods is fine, currently. Mod portal is just an added bonus.

Though I'm a pleb so they're probs holding off of release because they want to integrate all the newly updated mods easily into the new mod portal system, right?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I would think the mod portal and an improved mod handling system would make sense if they're rolling out MP improvements. It seems like a total PITA to manage mods for MP.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I must've spent a good two hours at this point reading up on signal tutorials and I can't figure out how to properly lay out my very basic bidirectional train setup for the life of me. Something about how signals work just refuses to click in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

tbh I don't really care much about the mod portal. I wish they'd release 0.13 as is and add the mod portal later on. The way we download and install mods is fine, currently. Mod portal is just an added bonus.

Though I'm a pleb so they're probs holding off of release because they want to integrate all the newly updated mods easily into the new mod portal system, right?

Thing is it's integrated with 0.13 whether you want it or not, without the portal working at a minimal level of usefulness they can't release 0.13. Technically they could go 'Ok, have 0.13 but the portal and anything in 0.13 which attempts to access it including MP won't work' but that would hardly be very smart or professional. Suck it up and wait another week. If you want a real laugh, go look at the mod portal website in it's current state (last time I looked most links were place holders).

Mr. Powers posted:

I would think the mod portal and an improved mod handling system would make sense if they're rolling out MP improvements. It seems like a total PITA to manage mods for MP.

I'm of the same opinion but with one big proviso - it seems very rushed and they should really have ditched it for 0.13 and done it properly later. But spilled milk etc