Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
So, I finally started loving around with logistics bots. My logistics network is huge and has about 3k available bots. But some logistics requests are still going unfulfilled - in particular I have passive provider chests with rocket parts in them, and requester chests requesting those parts, and despite the 3k available bots, the requests are only fulfilled occasionally. Like, I watch the area and one bot comes by every 30-60 seconds. Certainly not enough to keep the chests full of the 20 of each rocket part that I set them to request. How do I get more bots to work on those requests at once? Increase the number requested? More chests? More roboports? Should I just rework everything to use a shitload of spaghetti-rear end belts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Renegret posted:

What's the distance between the two chests? It's going to count a bot en-route to the requester chest as a fulfilled request. If you're only requesting 1 item, then only 1 bot will make a delivery. A second bot won't start to deliver until bot #1 made it's delivery and that item was taken out of the requester chest.

Personally, I just up the amount requested to overcome this because making things more efficient is :effort:

The distance is minimal - like 30 squares. They often don't have bots running between them, even when there are 20 requested and hundreds in the provider chest. I was just trying to avoid using too many belts because this part of my base is pretty cramped.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Renegret posted:

Is it possible that the bots are pulling from a different provider chest that's further away?

Nope, there's only the one chest for each rocket part.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

So a few things to look at, when you mouseover a requestor chest. Are your filters showing correctly? Is anything scheduled for delivery? Does what's in the chest plus what's scheduled for delivery add up to the filter? How many available logistics bots do you have (In this example I have 212 available out of 2608 total logistics bots). Finally, look at "Logistic system storage" at the bottom (cut off by my weapons, I hope they fix that UI "bug" soon). Do your rocket parts show up in storage? Is it possible your two chests are in different logistics networks?

Didn't realize this mouseover existed, super helpful, thanks. Things are scheduled for delivery and the number of available bots is in the thousands, so that's not the problem.

But I think I know what's happening, and it's stupid. I've got a bunch of bots working way across my base (far, far away) moving other poo poo around, and because of that, the logistic bots seem to like to live there. When a bot finishes delivering a rocket part, it fucks off to that area, rather than settle in one of the nearby roboports. So it seems that the network, rather than request the nearest unused bot to carry poo poo, instead prioritizes ones that are flying already. So the bots that should be delivering my rocket parts are incredibly likely to get called off to do other, much more frequently requested stuff. Meanwhile, when the requests for rocket stuff come in, they're likely to have no nearby bots to request (since they've already been requested to go off and do the other stuff), so they have to request a dormant bot from far, far away. Adding more bots to the network near where the rocket silos are, which I've done a bunch already, doesn't seem to help - they get requested away to the far away zone and then lie dormant there.

So it seems as long as there is a lot of activity on the network that is far away, the bots are going to be likely to be called far away, and then end up dormant there. I wish there was a way to tell the network to prioritize "waking up" new bots rather than request ones from across the map, but I don't think that's possible.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

So, it always seems like y'all explore/expand a LOT to build outposts connected by trains, and when I try to do that, I have to fight a million biter nests. Do I need to be polluting less? Do I need to be fighting better (I mostly use the power-poles-and-laser-turrets method)? Should I carve out a long line through the biters and use radars to find good resource patches off to the sides? Do I need to expand faster, so chunks are generated faster than biter nests spawn (is this a thing?)?

I've never done anything with trains because my bases so far have been small enough that it's pretty manageable with belts and exoskeletons.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Zetsubou-san posted:

you need to be using the power-armor-and-flamethrower method

I've been avoiding fire because trees reduce pollution. Maybe I should stop caring?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I mean, in theory, instead of transporting my iron plates on 3 parallel express belts, I could put them on 9 parallel regular belts with the same throughput. But fuuuuuck planning/building that, especially when my factory inevitably grows too big and I need to add more belts.

Setting up an express belt factory is more satisfying anyway.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I remember watching that trailer and thinking that was a crazy huge complicated factory, and playing my first game and being completely unable to build anything so cool-looking. But now I look at it and think "holy poo poo what a tiny, terribly-designed base."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I don't get what the current discussion is about. Was there some special thing happening (that is now gone) where inserters filled underground belts better than regular belts? I never tried that in any of my games.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

:same:

I never really have any trouble moving through my factory. I just, like, go in between the blocks of assemblers/plants/whatever instead of trying to squeeze through 0-tile gaps, especially if pipes are involved. I mean you can run through regular-rear end assemblers but if you're gonna have pipes, use some fuckin underground ones and leave some nice wide spaces for you to run through. I generally keep chemical plants to ~10 in one row, with nice ~4-6 tile gaps between them. Also, when laying pipe, put an underground pipe in there once every unit length that is twice the largest distance you'd be willing to detour when running around your factory.

You're gonna need that space later, anyway, when your factory spaghetti spreads and you gotta lay more belts and pipes.

Also, assuming you don't have biter problems, fill your power armor up with as many exoskeletons as you can. It's easy to go around obstacles if you go at 2.5x speed or whatever.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Finally finished my first "megabase." >1000 per minute of each science pack on standard rail world settings. IDK what the standard is for megabases but I'm pretty happy with it. Since I'm doing 1000 per minute I prefer to call it a kilobase. Still definitely the hardest I've ever factorio'd.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Maugrim posted:

I am not super experienced at this game but aren't those 6-lane balancers, not 4? Or am I looking at the wrong thing

My proudest game "achievement" is probably inventing a 6-lane balancer for my stations in my first game before I knew what a lane balancer was. Like I lay awake in bed figuring it out and then I had to go and fire up the game immediately to check it worked lol

Laying awake in bed thinking about conveyor belts is the true Factorio experience.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

quote:

I'm not defending that women shouldn't be senior software engeneers, but if someone would defend that, it doesn't make him a bigot

holy moly yikes

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The Locator posted:

Question for successful "Megabase" builders. Do you have a 'layout' or general design in mind when you start, or are you generally setting a more generic goal of 'X SPM' and then design on the fly for that goal for each type of science?

I've done >1k spm and while I designed all the stations/modules on the fly, I sketched up the overall layout first - i.e., how many stations and what their inputs/outputs are, what's being train'd around vs built on-site. For example, the blue science station takes iron plates, steel, red chips, and sulfur as train inputs, and outputs blue science, meaning gears, pipes, and engines are made within that station. But exactly how that was laid out, and where, I didn't decide until I actually built it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

~ to bring up the console, then
/c game.player.force.research_queue_enabled = true

it'll disable achievements since any console commands count as "cheating" I guess.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Paper Tiger posted:

they do mention that they're not 100% attached to the legendary/epic/etc. names for the tiers (lol)

doesn't matter, that's what people are going to call them anyway, especially if they keep the colors.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

nullEntityRNG posted:

I got to say I finally picked this up, and I'm definitely captivated by it. I've only just unlocked the third science tier

Same, and I looked at what it took to make blue science and immediately noticed intelligent calcium and besselheim flasks which greatly amused me. seiken is clearly a man of culture. Now i just gotta figure out how to avoid the helvetica scenario

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I am less far than you into Ultracube and I am baffled at how you passed the early/mid game without using circuits. the main "cube loop" in my factory is loving lousy with decider combinators (minor spoilers):

This is where I'm at at the conclusion to blue science, about to switch over to (greater spoilers) ghost cubes, tryna figure out how to design a new, much less spaghetti system to handle that step.

A short explanation of this spaghetti (only minor spoilers again):
In the center there's a loop of belt that carries the cube around. Since there's only one and I can't have it sitting in a machine waiting to be used up, a machine only pulls the cube off the loop when it's needed. Inventory sensors pass signals to decider combinators, and all the combinators are set to "if (inputs >= enough) or (outputs = 0), output (arbitrary signal = 1)" (one combinator for each input and each output), so that each combinator stack outputs a number. The outputs are wired together and connected to the cube input, set to "enable when (arbitrary signal = correct number)" such that they only pull the cube off the main loop if there is both sufficient inputs and zero outputs in the machine. This ensures that the cube is always either working or traveling around the loop, never ever stuck in a machine. It's not very elegant but it works.

The rest of the cause of the spaghetti is the fact that I want to keep the loop small to minimize cube travel time, and all of these machines have too many inputs and outputs. It's possibly the ugliest section of factory I've ever designed (complimentary).

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Don't calculate poo poo. Just look with your eyes. A machine idle with not enough inputs? Put more machines before it to provide more of whatever is supposed to be on that belt. Do you have too many machines consuming from a belt, such that a fully saturated belt is getting completely depleted and no materials are getting to the last few machines? Then disassemble those machines. Don't plan ahead. gently caress around and find out; it's no big deal, you can always rebuild bigger, better, later. Make assemblers that make assemblers/belts/inserters so that you have plenty of material to expand with. The factory must grow.

When you're deep into the game and hella hardcore about it you'll wanna calculate stuff, so that's why all these hardcore factorio nerds are telling you about ways to calculate, but don't listen to them. You're not at the point where that's remotely necessary yet. If Factorio gets its hooks in you, you'll eventually get there. But for now, you can just chill.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The General posted:

Edit: That video has to have the worst Neil C song there is. Wow. I don't remember anything of his being that immediately offensive to my ears.

yeah, I love Neil Cicierega's "Mouth" album series, but that one is not exactly the most listenable of his mashups. I could listen to Crocodile Chop, Rollercloser, or Floor Corn all day long but that song kinda blows (which is mostly REM's fault imo)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Speaking of factorio music, I'd like some.

There's the classic trailer, which has a lovely soundtrack.

Now the main menu screen has some chill tunes playing against the backdrop of various scenes of the game. It's this I'd like more of. Simple instrumental music set to factory poo poo. Does it exist?

flashing lights warning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izefYFR_Zg4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Not believing in sales is just one of Kovarex's weird quirky opinions that he won't budge on, like thinking that statutory rape is cool sometimes.