Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Is there any way to recycle or scrap poo poo? Or is there a mod that lets you do that? Hell even a factory-type building you could have an inserter pump full of garbage from a chest or something.

EDIT: I also find myself wanting something like a diverter where you could take something flowing down one side of a belt and just shift it to the other side. Would help out with the weird switchback conveyors and inserter madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

oh well perfect then, thanks everyone

A way to judge the health of an engine chain is to mouse over the engines down the line and see what temperature they're at and how much water they contain. Ideally you want as close to 100 (I assume C) and 10.0 water as you can get. If it dips at the end of the chain it may be too long. Consider inserting a boiler in the middle to heat things up again or starting a new chain. If the water levels dip down, build more pumps or reservoirs.

Edit: I should note that related to the post above about engines shutting down unneeded boilers, it is natural to see a dip in temps at the end if the chain if you are vastly overproducing power. In this case no action is required to combat dropping temps.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 13, 2014

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

And as has been said recently, if the engines don't need the heat, they'll basically shut the boilers down so they won't load. Chances are you aren't using but a fraction of your capacity.

Energy generation (especially steam) is much muuuucch deeper than it seems. I got into a thing in one of my early playthroughs where I realized that everything was moving at like 1/3 speed because I was overtaxing the system. I went back to my boiler array and see that the temp is fine at the boilers, but there's not enough water in the engines. So I make a few pumps (pain in the rear end) and put them down near my water source. Problem is, it's not enough. So they pump a little and my energy waves upwards. My other poo poo sucks up the juice and that saps the pumps' power, so energy flags. The other poo poo shuts down. The pump gets more energy, the water and the energy comes back. Lather, rinse, repeat. I had a perfect power starvation sine curve going on in power management.

Took me awhile to sort it all out. But I was impressed that it was a much deeper system than it appeared at first glance.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

This game is refreshingly fun and unique and already surprisingly well designed. It definitely scratches that old OTTD itch in a way that doesn't disturb the scar from scratching that old OTTD itch too much. :(

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I really really hope multiplayer has a team option.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Is there a way to make something with the opposite function of a splitter? As in, a way to feed from two incoming belts equally?

I’d like something like that for my train stations.

Yup! Just use the splitter. So rather than one in, two out, make it two in, one out.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

Logistics bots are basically the coolest thing.

I love them. In my current game I've made the whole master bus feed who-ha and things have gotten so complicated at the end of the line. It's nice to be able to say "gently caress logistics" and just let the bots sort it out. I'm seriously thinking about supersperging and removing all feed lines for slow-to-consume hard-to-produce goods and just let the bots handle it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I'm going to go ahead and say this (and it's the spergiest thing I've ever said on these here forums): I do not believe that the bus system is the most efficient overall layout. I feel like there's way too much product on the line and I feel like it bottlenecks way too easily. There must be a better way. And we will find it.

I entertained the notion of a circular bus which would certainly be interesting if not logistically challenging.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

DarthJeebus posted:

Do you have an active research project? Labs won't "pre-load" science packs if they are idle.

Not to mention they hold no more than 2 when active. I always hit ALT when I play so you can see what's going on. If you see a red science pack hanging over the lab, then the lab likely doesn't need one and won't grab another until it does.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got 200 Roboports and 175 Radar dishes.

:eyepop:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I am personally ashamed of Goons and their apparent hate of Ro-Ro stations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

That is a very nicely organized cracker setup. Scalable in all directions.

Yes, but this isn't a thread about upper-middle income housing developments.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

This game has a goal? I thought you were supposed to cram the world with so much belt hell that your CPU burns up and dies with the heat of a Red Dwarf.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Dude, that's like on every page of this thread.

Relatedly I love how it fits the whole you are a conquering bio-terrorist dickbag theme.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

You know, their art design is really smart. It's got a kind of Rube Goldberg-ian thing going on while still looking sorta plausible.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I really want a mod that turns copper wire into burger patties and like green boards into dollar menu burgers and red boards are quarter pounders etc etc.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Mr. Bill posted:

But what becomes nuggets

So okay like in that scenario copper is beef so let's make iron chicken. Steel beams are chicken nuggets because it's just some chicken bits smushed together.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Are there any dev plans to factor in water in the form of boats, docks, underwater resources, derricks, aquatic/amphibious biters? It would be a neat surprise for you to suddenly get invaded by the sea.

I always found the fish entities to be vaguely foreboding.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I don't know if this impresses or informs anyone, but I currently play the hell out of Factorio on Ubuntu that has been installed on top of a Chromebook Crouton. It's a "high end" Chromebook (~$250) and it runs really really well even into the end-game. This patch made it run even better with virtually no stutters or freezes.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I really couldn't care less what my FPS are. That I can run this game on a $250 computer with a medium or even large-ish base with a small RR network and it doesn't choke and die is kind of miraculous.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Kenlon posted:

What happens to existing lasers when you upgrade to .12? I have tons of them lining the walls of my factories, and I dunno how it handles the size change. . .

They break each other's bounding boxes but otherwise seem to function as normal. You can pick them up, but of course you can't put them back down the same way.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

When I have over 5000 logistics robots I'm pretty sure they outdo belts.

His point is that the resources and time put in to manufacturing those 5000 robots is astronomically higher than if you used belts.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Can bots refill turrets?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Fans posted:

I'm not saying never do it, but if you handcraft more than around 10 turrets you may not be getting the point of the game.

Meh, I handcraft most of my gun turrets. I definitely manufacture laser turrets and I don't think I've ever handcrafted a single count of piercing ammo.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Pave this gay earth.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Boogalo posted:

Set them up so they're on separate lines. 1 pump, 14 boilers, 10 steam engines. I don't think water, or any liquids, can handle that kind of grid distribution well without lots of pumps keeping pressure up.

Don't multiple pumps on the same system also interfere with each other, or has that been fixed? I always just have one well per 14/10 system. It's not like it costs that much more resources and it requires no pumps.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

But giving each set of boilers their own pipeline is :effort: and takes up enormous amounts of space.

Relative to the 1000 x 1000 tile behemoth factories out there :confused:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I feel kinda dumb because I just realized that you can pull coal out of boilers to feed other boilers.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Krysmphoenix posted:

God. I try to be low pollution but that many steam boilers is just so gooooood.

Why would you try to be low pollution? Just clean out the nests every so often as your pollution expands and no worries! Besides, the goal of this game is to subjugate the planet and eradicate it's inhabitants. After all, why not?

It's funny, I am at least environmentally conscious. I recycle, I try to preserve electricity, I drive an efficient car. Yet somehow this game is total catharsis for me. Oh, you were using this planet for your little natural idyll? Well gently caress you, I'm paving the entire thing under a dense cloud of toxic fog. Oh, you don't like it? Well then I'll just exterminate you.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Alpha, beta, release: These are all arbitrary development points idiosyncratically chosen by the developers. A quick peruse through the last 3-5 pages of this thread will tell you exactly how playable this game is.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 2, 2015

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I really hope that the space section of the game allows for Newtonian physics. No more belts! Want to feed iron to a factory? Just shoot it there.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I like the idea of filling a train with tracks, walls, lasers and power lines and just sending it off to make a wall for as far as it can go.

Or a train that could auto-pave huge swaths of land while also building its own tracks.

EDIT: Pave this gay earth.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Fractal factories until the machine gains sentience.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Ego Trip posted:

Don't you need a win condition for your game to be complete, legally speaking?

Lowen posted:

There's no such thing as a legal definition for a complete game.

Hahah, the assumption that there's any legal definition of a vidya game really needs more open mockery.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Travic posted:

How many green circuit factories do you generally have in a game? I can't seem to make enough of them. Although I am working on building solar panels and that's eating up tons of them.

I seek to make 1 of every science pack per second in most of my games. So whatever the clock timer at the top is, that's how many factories I build. If memory serves me red is 4, green is 5, and blue is 12.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

So I'm looking for come recommendations for modest mods. I've been playing this game 2ish years and I've never installed any mods. In my current game I've recently discovered a distant oil field, so I'm going to install the Oil Tanker mod and probably that track placement mod to support it. I'm not really interested in adding bloat for bloat's sake nor do I really care to add anything to combat. Any recommendations?

As an aside I'll say that I also started playing in peaceful mode after 2 years as well. The defense/combat portions of the game are sort of boring for me. I would LOVE to turn it back on, but not until there's a fundamental change in combat. I think it would be cool if the devs allowed for modular autonomous combat vehicles that could be programmed through basic Boolean logic. Perhaps there could a central control AI that would sort of a bitch to make, but you could then program tactical things with your vehicles. You could do things like program vehicles to patrol your walls, stop and refuel when low, and seek and destroy in an indicated area.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Uhh, you can change a chest into another kind of chest?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Eventually the game is supposed to have some extra end-game content (it's still beta after all) but nobody who plays really cares about it as the game feels complete as is. Not to mention mods.

Speaking of mods, does anyone have any recommendations for mods for me to try based on my previous post?

Overwined posted:

So I'm looking for come recommendations for modest mods. I've been playing this game 2ish years and I've never installed any mods. In my current game I've recently discovered a distant oil field, so I'm going to install the Oil Tanker mod and probably that track placement mod to support it. I'm not really interested in adding bloat for bloat's sake nor do I really care to add anything to combat. Any recommendations?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

DaveKap posted:

All the mods listed at the start of this guy's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfdct1J6Sk
It's a huge gameplay dynamic shift when you 1: Don't worry about biters, 2: Depend on large rail systems to keep your factory going, and 3: Add a bunch of quality-of-life changes that are, in my opinion, modest to the point of wondering why they aren't in vanilla.

Unless you're specifically talking about adding mods to your current game, in which case I'd still suggest most of the mods listed at the start of that video.

Those mods he listed look cool. I doubt I'll use all of them, but it's a great start. Thanks!

Ratzap posted:

Not really, I read that post and you list a lot of what you don't want. I could give you a pack with RSO settings I use but you seem to have something specific in mind and probably wouldn't like it.

I know it seems like I'm being overly picky (I probably am). I'm definitely going to do RSO and fiddle with it. I just personally think the only thing about this game that's not really done is combat. I want it in the game and see how it's necessary, it's just clunkily implemented and after playing with it (and it not changing) for 2ish years, I'd rather omit it and wait until they get it looking better. And I'm sure they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

LLSix posted:

Toolbelt what?

Middle mouseclick on any slot in your toolbelt and you can choose a filter for that spot. It's convenient because only that thing can go into that slot, but inconvenient because that specific item doesn't snap to that specific spot when you return it to your belt after using it.