Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
As I have accidentally discovered, turning trees down to next-to-nothing makes biters way more of a threat, since your pollution just flows freely so you can, and will, be attacked on literally all 4 sides at once, by biter nests many, many screens away. It's grueling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Also what's the point of 3d first person if I can't build my factory into giant multifloor buildings?? That's literally my only issue with factorio being 2d and these guys have gone and appear to have hosed it up lol

They show exactly that in the trailer starting at 1:09.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Yeah that's the tutorial I was referring to. I'll give it a whirl, thanks. I found a patch of 6M iron ore and have grand designs for it that involves a sea of electric furnaces, and I'm not sure I want to waste the time and resources that would be required to defend the massive plot of land I'd need for the requisite solar farm.

Nuclear power is an always on affair, correct? What's the general logic network method used to make sure reactors aren't being fueled when power demand is being covered already?

The setup on the wiki works great:

https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Circuit_network_cookbook#Optimal_usage_of_fuel_for_nuclear_power

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

Almost everything in that FFF is amazing but at the end they fell into a classic developer trap - forcing the user to decide instead of just making a decision, any decisions.

It would be better if they just picked one option. The player would probably be surprised the first few times, but they would save sooooo much time by not having to interact with a popup that they'd be happier in the long run. Which option doesn't really matter IMO, they lay out reasonable arguments in favor for all the options. Anytime a dev lets users choose (at runtime) how a feature should behave its generally a sign the dev doesn't understand their problem space well enough. And in the long run such modal choices end up with monstrously huge programs with so many options that most users don't ever try to learn what more than a handful of them do.

Compared to everything else they got right its a small complaint though. I'm just sensitive because I've been having an argument around this same sort of death by a thousand choices slowness at work all week.

At least the addition of copy+paste should help nullify this a bit, since now when I make a blueprint I'd almost always want to actually keep it in some way. I can't believe they're adding cut, too. Factorio has ruined all other building games for me because none of them have anywhere near the amount of QoL.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Circuits are a nice, self-contained optional extra, that you can dip into when you feel like exploring it.

Complicated inserter stuff unavoidably impacts the entire pre-bot game.

No reason it couldn't be post-bot tech. Unless you are worried about the verisimilitude of being unable to design an inserter that only moves half as much without giving it sentience.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 29, 2018

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
After playing with the beacon rework where production buildings can only be affected by one beacon at a time but beacons have a ton of module slots I don't think I can ever go back. It makes the factory progression feel so much smoother than having to start putting identical rows of beacon cages everywhere.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 25, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I’d highly recommend industrial revolution 3, it’s what got me playing again and it has a ton of new mechanics and fun stuff, there’s a whole new steam-powered phase at first that demands you run steam pipes everywhere, it’s great

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
FFF 386: Volcanus

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

It's funny how this ends up being easier for him than his first rampant playthrough, and not just because he's more experienced.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dosh goes to the ends of the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzpUQZIr15g

It's great to finally see him make a proper infinite research ultrabase and a megaproject that warrants it

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

Same, and I looked at what it took to make blue science and immediately noticed intelligent calcium and besselheim flasks which greatly amused me. seiken is clearly a man of culture. Now i just gotta figure out how to avoid the helvetica scenario

Okay I’m definitely playing this now

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
There's also the question if they're going to make recursive blueprints official. That one mod adds so much megaproject potential that it'd be nice to be official.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harvey Baldman posted:

Or is the space platform thing more of a background-is-animated-as moving thing, I wonder.

It's this, I'm pretty certain. Like, I think they said as much somewhere.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I hope we get some IR3-style tree management from that planet, I really enjoyed the unique gameplay layer that added.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, for IR3 forestry you plop a greenhouse down and it'll generate wood, remove pollution, and grow more trees based on how many trees are in its chunk. So put one in a forest and it gets going right away, but for a desert you need to kickstart it with tree planters, which will gradually turn the chunk into a densely forested spot. It's a great take on farming, and much better than a building that's just "insert seed+water, get wood".

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
New Dosh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlPREQ55kzc

oh god

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lmao

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

:woop:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Music! They hired an orchestra this time. They also have tracks for the two unseen planets, leaving it to us to imagine what kind of places the music invokes.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-406

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 12, 2024

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ha, the second image just outright shows the names of the unrevealed planets: Aquilo and... Gliecie? Harder to decipher that one

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The biggest problem with IR3 is that the expanded early game and pollution control mechanics are nifty, but eventually you have to expand into their nests and uh whoops turns out the nests have been evolving on their own even though you aren't killing anything and now every single nest has behemoths. Had to resort to console commands because screw that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The funny thing about this kind of change is that a lot of Factorio-heads are 100% focused on UPS-optimization and they're complaining how this makes functionally no difference since they're so ultra-lategame brained. For people like me that value aesthetics way more this is great. I wonder what the other mathematically optimal layouts will end up with this, like max output per tile/watt/cost.