Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just use Loaders. :shrug:

Which really should be stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Jack the Lad posted:

How do you all load/unload trains? I found this design on Reddit which looks and seems really neat, but because the top inserters have to wait for the bottom belts to be empty it's not very even:

If you replace the bottom y belts junctions with splitters I don't think they will have to wait, since the bottom inserters will unload all onto 1 lane, and the top should be unloading onto the other lane. The use of stack inserters unloading those buffer chests onto belts is odd, express inserters with a couple capacity upgrades should be good enough.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Nevets posted:

If you replace the bottom y belts junctions with splitters I don't think they will have to wait, since the bottom inserters will unload all onto 1 lane, and the top should be unloading onto the other lane. The use of stack inserters unloading those buffer chests onto belts is odd, express inserters with a couple capacity upgrades should be good enough.

I tried this just now and sadly that doesn't appear to work, they ALL end up on the left hand lane. The gaps the top leaves aren't enough to have the bottom unloading 100% of the time, so it ends up being about 2x the speed on the top row. Probably still fine and if you REALLY want an even unload you can do circuit tricks.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

UraniumAnchor posted:

I tried this just now and sadly that doesn't appear to work, they ALL end up on the left hand lane. The gaps the top leaves aren't enough to have the bottom unloading 100% of the time, so it ends up being about 2x the speed on the top row. Probably still fine and if you REALLY want an even unload you can do circuit tricks.
The rule for inserter->parallel belt unloading is "right hand side in the direction of travel of the belt"

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Collateral Damage posted:

I just use Loaders. :shrug:

Which really should be stock.

Rather, use Miniloaders, not Loader Redux, the former is way more UPS friendly.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

do you need stack inserters before setting up trains for ore transportation to the smelting area, or are yellow/blue inserters sufficient ?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Nalesh posted:

I know I added rampant to make enemies a bit more challenging, but this is ridiculous

And I can't even find a setting to not spawn them so close to the spawn area.

Found out it's RSO's spawning doing this, as far as I know I have the default options on it, why the poo poo is it spawning enemies within sight of the spawn.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nalesh posted:

Found out it's RSO's spawning doing this, as far as I know I have the default options on it, why the poo poo is it spawning enemies within sight of the spawn.

There is a toggleable option in the settings to use RSO for enemy generation too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

double nine posted:

do you need stack inserters before setting up trains for ore transportation to the smelting area, or are yellow/blue inserters sufficient ?
Stack inserters can make it a little easier to design because it's a pretty simple ratio to fill a blue belt.

My gut says no for yellow inserters managing a worthwhile quantity but more so I don't understand how you get to trains without reliable blue inserters available. Maybe if you're on a really lean RSO setting in which case you'll deal with it because you need to.

Blue inserters can manage a fair clip coming out of the station. It's all we had for a while. But it takes some finagling through splitters and merging junk.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

My gut says no for yellow inserters managing a worthwhile quantity but more so I don't understand how you get to trains without reliable blue inserters available. Maybe if you're on a really lean RSO setting in which case you'll deal with it because you need to.

Trains and faster inserters solve different problems, and if you're running out of resources near all your other poo poo, trains will fix that before inserters do.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

The most Factorio solution to trains that can't unload fast enough is just have more trains and merge two red belts to make your blue.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The real solution is to unload your trains using swarms of robots

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jack the Lad posted:

How do you all load/unload trains? I found this design on Reddit which looks and seems really neat, but because the top inserters have to wait for the bottom belts to be empty it's not very even:

you could get a more even load by having the left side belt do a short jog left so that both belts side feed a central belt. It would mean slightly more space is needed for the unloading area though. e.g.
pre:
   |  |  |  |
 | -  |  |  |
 - |  -  |  |
   |  |  -  |
   |  -  |  -
and so on, with the third set not merging until after the second.

I just use loaders and warehouse though.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Re: AngelBob's

It's taken me many many hours but I've finally managed to automate... :siren:Blue Science!:siren:

I joke but it really does feel like an achievement.

This mod set is definitely for the more crazed Factorio fans, but I really like how it changes everything so that the basic game isn't all but solved. Like, I'd been struggling with sulfuric acid for dozens of hours since I though the waste water was only obtainable from oil and gas refining, or higher tech processes. A couple of days ago I discovered that I could get all the sulfur I needed from coal and acutally said, out loud, "Oh! Great!". It's the kind of excitement I don't get from the base game anymore.

Now I need to puzzle out what I want, how to get that stuff and how to build it. The metal casting system and gas processing stuff especially is really neat and such a change from the usual sets of furnace arrays and oil refineries.

The bad of the mods is pretty glaring though. It's ridiculously cluttered. Even just starting blue science research I've got 3 different kinds of chemical plants. They're all the same size, with the same input output placements, and all do the same recipes. The only difference is the machine speed. There's seven different silos. But they all work the same, they just have different art. Eventually I broke down and went looking for a recipe sorting mod (FNEI) because the complexity of everything was just spiraling out of control. There's just way to much stuff that has overlapping functions, and I can definitely see why the base game has ONE oil refinery. I get why the mod makers thought it would be neat to add in specialized circuit assemblers, but the only benefit is being slightly faster. This is Factorio. Throughput issues are fixed by building more.

The mod also has a problem with, I don't know what the game design term is, but things don't lead from one step to the next. In the base game you research something and it unlocks one new research option and maybe one or two new buildings. Each step kind of points you to the next thing you should probably be doing. AngelBob just has a ton of stuff and throws it all at you. Like with that acid shortage I was struggling with, you need sulfur processing, coal processing, advanced chem, and oil gas processing (even though there's no gas deal with anywhere in this production chain!). There's no indication of what you're working towards other than a nebulous "do something with sulfur and coal"

The base game would have Acid Processing as a specific research, with Coal and Sulfur Processing as a requirement. That would hopefully clue the player in to the fact that somehow coal has some part in sulfuric acid production.

It got better once I installed FNEI, and got a sense of the reasoning the mod creators were using for these processes, but these mods are in dire need of streamlining.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Galvanik posted:

The mod also has a problem with, I don't know what the game design term is, but things don't lead from one step to the next. In the base game you research something and it unlocks one new research option and maybe one or two new buildings. Each step kind of points you to the next thing you should probably be doing. AngelBob just has a ton of stuff and throws it all at you. Like with that acid shortage I was struggling with, you need sulfur processing, coal processing, advanced chem, and oil gas processing (even though there's no gas deal with anywhere in this production chain!). There's no indication of what you're working towards other than a nebulous "do something with sulfur and coal"

Yeah, I was intrigued because the first few research steps in Seablock (angelbob's plus you have to build your own land) aren’t about building a million research packs, they’re just guideposts to refining ores or dirt, but then it's just the grind without a lot of obvious progression steps.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
I’ve recently been turned on to this game from YouTube. I’m a software architect and love automating things. How much of a terrible idea is it for me to get this and is there any recommendations for a newbie? The OP seemed light on recommended tweaks and known issues.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Wozbo posted:

I’ve recently been turned on to this game from YouTube. I’m a software architect and love automating things. How much of a terrible idea is it for me to get this and is there any recommendations for a newbie? The OP seemed light on recommended tweaks and known issues.

How terrible of an idea it is... that's dependent on how much you want your free time to be spent on things that are not videogames. There's really not anything to know before jumping in-- you can choose to learn by doing or do the tutorial which isn't bad (but whenever I mention I think it's fine a bunch of other people reply saying it sucks compared to jumping in so take that as you will), and the only important thing you'll probably miss is that you can hit Alt to toggle viewing what items things are producing or contain.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the most fun to be had as a straight up beginner is to avoid tutorials and google for the first several hours. You will be 100% lost but there's no secrets you'll miss out on, everything you need to get things rolling is right in front of you can can be deduced with a bit of poking around the gui.

You can only be surprised by the game once, so unless you really hate not knowing what to do I suggest keeping the mystery alive as long as possible.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

It's still technically in beta I think, but as far as I know there aren't any major game issues left and it's pretty close to being properly released.

There's no mods that are really essential to make the default game playable if that's what you're asking.

Two things don't seem to be listed in the OP

The cheat sheet is good for looking up basic common issues. How many items does a fast belt carry per second, what's the correct ratio of boilers to steam engines. That sort of thing

The Ratio planner, is a tool for doing larger scale planning. Like figuring out how much, and of what, you need per second in order to make more complicated things.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Do it, factorio is amazing

My tips for you
  • Go in blind
  • don’t play on peaceful, maybe turn resource richness up a little, and maybe turn up water size
  • if you ever get really stuck look at kathrine of sky’s tutorial YouTube series on that topic (tends to be oil processing is the most common)
  • anything you can do by hand can be done faster and better with a machine setup
  • never destroy what you’ve already built if it works. space and resources are infinite, keep feeding old buildings until your new prettier and more efficient design is proven and up to full speed.
  • in the same vein never restart the map. Unless you’re a glutton for early game punishment. Just grab equipment and stroll off to a new spot on the same map. Use old bases to supply new ones
  • dont add any mods until you launch your first rocket. If you love achievements get all the non time based on the same map after you’ve launched your first rocket.
  • Once you get to that point start playing with mods, most address specific things, and everybody here has a list they run with.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Galvanik posted:

There's no mods that are really essential to make the default game playable if that's what you're asking.
Honk :colbert:

vv SqueakThrough is a must-have QoL mod as well, especially once you get to the oil stage.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 11, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Galvanik posted:

Squeak Through and Factorio Reach.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is exactly how I feel about angelbobs. It’s a LOT of fun, but some additional guidance in the research tree would make it even better. The multiple research requirements make it kinda tough to grasp tier jumps.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

MrYenko posted:

This is exactly how I feel about angelbobs. It’s a LOT of fun, but some additional guidance in the research tree would make it even better. The multiple research requirements make it kinda tough to grasp tier jumps.

This is the only major gripe I've had with it so far(other than floatation pools being loving HUGE), going to upgrade your factory and mid way through going "Oh, this one needs something I don't have yet"

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

As I understand it there's some way to mine water in angelbob, but I can't figure it out. FNEI says "Water Pumpjacks" exist, but gives no recipe for them. Is there some mod toggle I need to activate get this to work?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Galvanik posted:

As I understand it there's some way to mine water in angelbob, but I can't figure it out. FNEI says "Water Pumpjacks" exist, but gives no recipe for them. Is there some mod toggle I need to activate get this to work?

At least in vanilla you make a "water well" by first building Offshore Pump and then filling in the land, it changes names and keeps pumping water out of the ground.

Maybe angelbob is similar?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

It's been awhile but I remember there being a water pumpjack that could mine water deposits created in mapgen. Not sure if they are still around since you can do the same thing with dynamite + pumps without any special mapgen now. Make sure you don't confuse them with lithium water deposits either.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i just downloaded a "well" mod because piping a shitload of water over is my least favorite part of factorio.

i don't really enjoy the fluid part at all. I also feel like oil runs out way too fast compared to ore patches

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The .50 update locks the mouse to the window when in windowed mode. This is not a thing I like because my habit is to just slide my mouse away, but now I have to alt+tab.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
So, uh, this was announced at E3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_lmP8jYVLs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 3d is impressive but playing most of the game in first person seems like a huge pain in the rear end.

There's a short clip of an overhead view in there so maybe it's been addressed but I'm not sold on it yet.

E3 teasers are the worst, show us the drat game mechanics.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Too much green plant stuff in shots with big factories. The blasted hellish moonscape looks like a desert planet rather than the result of thousands of acres of concrete paving and enough factory smoke to blot out the sun. 2/10

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Psawhn posted:

Too much green plant stuff in shots with big factories. The blasted hellish moonscape looks like a desert planet rather than the result of thousands of acres of concrete paving and enough factory smoke to blot out the sun. 2/10

You know that's a good idea for a mod! A visible pollution cloud that makes everything progressively darker as the pollution becomes more dense. It would become so dark that you would need to make lights everywhere and soot would fall from the sky like snow.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Something tells me the hardware requirements are going to be slightly higher than for Factorio.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

It doesn't have procedural generation so I couldn't care less about it yet.

It does have haunted asschecks though

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

AG3 posted:

Something tells me the hardware requirements are going to be slightly higher than for Factorio.

quote:

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: i5-3570k 3,4 GHz 4 Core
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX 660 2GB
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 20 GB available space

I have a feeling that the CPU requirement will be dropped a tad.
No release date or anything.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/526870/Satisfactory/

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone know how to get FARL to put down radar stations at the right distances?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm probably gonna get satisfactory if it's priced reasonably, but yeah, I'm not expecting factorio level of good.

Also what's the point of 3d first person if I can't build my factory into giant multifloor buildings?? That's literally my only issue with factorio being 2d and these guys have gone and appear to have hosed it up lol

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Also what's the point of 3d first person if I can't build my factory into giant multifloor buildings?? That's literally my only issue with factorio being 2d and these guys have gone and appear to have hosed it up lol

They show exactly that in the trailer starting at 1:09.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Huh, how did I miss that. Well, I'm definitely buying then