Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I built Artillery for the first time and immediately fired off 50~ shells with the remote, it's hard to express just how satisfying the experience was. The sound was especially good, hearing thuds from the cannons firing salvos next to my dude mixed with the impact explosions from the radar view. Sorry Rocket Silo, you're not going to match up to that pinnacle of achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Robots are significantly better than belts in basically every way, the only reason to use belts over bots once you've started mass producing bots is for aesthetics and challenge.

The extremely boring ideal factory form is straight lines of roboports, assemblers & logistics chests.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Vizuyos posted:

Over short distances, the limitations of low-tech bots don't matter that much because bot networks are way more space-efficient than belts are. Even if each individual bot is slow, it's really easy to just add more bots and brute-force it. As the bots tech up, you can expand their range and use them for longer-distance hauling.

I don't use logistic bots much myself, though. They pretty much blow away the logistics challenge, so I feel like using them is admitting defeat.

Yeah it's this. Bots seem like they have low throughput and can't handle bulk production because when people unlock them they typically just stick a small number in roboports and have them gather supplies spread all over a sprawling belt base. When you start building bot-based systems and flood the system with loads of bots they quickly surpass anything belts can do, and absolutely destroy any production line creativity or design.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

nrook posted:

Bots do tend to save you money on beacons iirc, but it’s not the bots’ fault beacons are boring, bad and the one black spot on factorio’s design

The way Space Exploration handles beacons is one of the low-key nicest things. Beacons have a lower individual cost and can hold much more modules, but an assembler can only be boosted by a single beacon. Building assembly blocks around each beacon instead of cramming a dozen beacons around an assembler is much nicer, especially with belts.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Kinetica posted:

And may god have mercy on you if you’re doing a space exploration run with biters on

If anything it's the opposite, biters in Space Exploration largely become a joke. The SE defaults makes biters evolve a lot slower and you get all the vanilla tools minus spidertrons at about the same speed as normal to deal with them plus jetpacks, stronger walls and freebie super powerful SE guns. Once you start traveling to other planets you can almost exclusively pick planets with little or no biters on them and completely ignore defense everywhere except Nauvis. If you can handle vanilla default biters you can easily handle SE default biters.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The mod literally gives you a dozen requester chests (more if you go exploring) before you’re asked to make even the first space science, I’m not sure what the problem is. The modder clearly wants to steer people away from logistic bot based builds but doesn’t actually stop you from turning your brain off and doing it anyway.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Green is the way. Buffer chests don't request from other buffer chests and they can still provide for requester chests, so they should be able to do what you want.
Turn your passive providers that are picking up those resources into buffer chests, restrict any inserters inputting using the logistics connection, then give the buffer chest a huge request of that item, more than it will get from the inserter. Any excess items in the system will get pulled to your buffer chests without disrupting your requesters. Buffer chests also have the highest priority for providing items, so they'll get used first.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You get one giant 6x6 requester and three 2x2 requesters for launching your first satellite, then once you launch a cargo rocket you get a bunch of regular blue & green chests from the Nauvis Orbit ruins, and another handful if you visit the crashed ship in belt 1

It's enough to get the basic space science going easily and most of the utility science, especially if you're clever about making chests service multiple machines. It's an unusual neat challenge where you try to make the best use of them instead of just making a dozen more because requester chests are usually cheap as dirt.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

TwoDice posted:

it's more than enough for actual science production but it's definitely not enough for a basic dumb mall, which is one of the least interesting things to build. especially in a mod with so many weird new buildings

You can fit 8 assemblers around a 2x2 requester. 24 different things should be enough for a basic mall, especially since you want to have already made the basics before blue science. There’s only a couple extra ground based machines you want beyond vanilla stuff, and in space you have a crafting speed 10 behemoth assembler and only want a handful of most space machines so it’s easy to just handfeed those.

It’s all a temporary problem anyway because then you make utility science and get unlimited access to requesters.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

Speaking of SE anyone have tips for surviving the first CME? I have an umbrella defense but I keep reading conflicting reports about needing excess power? My main base is 4 nukes, I'm doing science in orbit now but maybe I'm really underprepared for it.

The trick for early CMEs is to get an electric boiler or two using your excess power to turn water into 500c steam and stuff it into a giant array of steam tanks (or siphon some from your nuclear plant), with an attached wing of steam turbines isolated from your power grid so they don’t use any power until you plug them in when the CME arrives.

The CME strength for default settings Nauvis should be about 2.2GW, you can check it using the information [i] screen under energy beams. If you just have enough spare power in the main grid you can just tank it and not worry, though that does mean a lot of overbuilding.

Darox fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 19, 2022

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

A single tank filled with 500c steam is equivalent to 480 accumulators. That's the main reason why you don't use accumulators for it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The Locator posted:

But don't you need 2.2gw of steam turbines to actually produce the power?

400 steam turbines is a lot cheaper and easier to repurpose than the 37 thousand accumulators you'd need to deal with a CME.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I've heard all these horror stories from the thread but also I've seen people go "I wanted to use this other major mod alongside SE but it's incompatible so I forced it and now I've softlocked, how could this happen to me???"

Use the mod if you're interested in the mod, don't use it if you're not. :shrug:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You can just tell a decider combinator to output an appropriate signal with a strength of 1 when your condition is met. You can check the contents of the logistics network by connecting a roboport to circuit wire.

As for making sure your landing chest has space, there is a complex and ugly way to solve it using a single delivery chest or you could just take the sane and simple approach of using multiple chests.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

They seem to be talking about the basic uncolored space science, but you can also craft those only using things from the previous tech level. Unless you're using an incompatible mod of course.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The tutorial is kinda flawed because it puts several biter bases so close to your position without any noticeable modifiers for the pollution rate, so you'll get swarmed pretty quickly which is rude for any player and especially deadly for people who are still working out how inserters and assemblers work. Even putting up turrets only goes so far because without automation they will quickly chew through whatever ammo you hand fed them so distracted people reading tooltips won't notice them suddenly failing.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The simple sushi belt is just a giant blob of splitters.

You do an X to 1 merge to create a nicely mixed belt and then at the other end you use a bunch of filter splitters to break them back out into separate lanes so they can feed back in.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Suran37 posted:

I have a signal transmitter sending requested materials from my space base back down to a reciever on Nauvis. The reciever is hooked up to a requester chest and sets the requests from the circuit signals. My issue is that if I request say 5k copper the chest only requests 1 at a time until I get to 5k loaded into the cargo rocket, since it requests 1 at a time only 1 logi bot slowly fills the chest/rocket. Is there a way to wire it up to request the full amount (minus whatever is in the rocket already)?

That sounds like you have a decider combinator somewhere in the system that is set to output a fixed signal of 1 instead of a signal equal to the input.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Phobeste posted:

Unfortunately it’s not about the nuclear part it’s about all those pipes and turbines and all that steam. It’s not an issue until you’re building a really massive base in vanilla but you can run into it pretty quick with more intense mods like space exploration. It’s also more of an issue in multi of course
I actually found the opposite in SE, nuclear was a far nicer option there because you can carry an entire nuclear plant in your pockets, shipping uranium to another planet is far easier than trying to bulk ship everything needed to make mass solar, and solar is generally messed up on not-Nauvis planets which means custom ratios everywhere. Slapping down a basic reactor and bootstrapping it with a couple cells and solar panels immediately gives you all the power you'll need for a long while when arriving at a brand new planet.

In general I think unless you're an insane person who has turned tech costs up to 100x big mods are fine for nuclear for the same reason they're fine for non-megabase vanilla. You don't need to make huge production lines for the sake of >1000spm and I believe most (all?) big mods have mod tech unlocks that help compact your setups down with higher tier assemblers/modules/etc and maybe even give more efficient steam systems. If you have an good nuclear design (or even just a not-horrific-steam-tank-blob design) having a couple 2x2 nuclear blocks isn't a significant hit to your ups.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The exception is if you're using custom mods that are not UPS friendly and liberally abusing them. I've seen someone on YT cripple their UPS in a SE multiplayer game in part because they used 500 slot giant chests everywhere for belt balancing and train loading.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

As I understand it, when you move items into or out of a chest it has to check all the slots each time for stacking items and deciding what gets pulled and etc. More slots in your chest means more work to check slots each time you move an item in or out, and having chests in high traffic areas acting as train buffers or belt balancers means they're being checked constantly. With regular chests this isn't really noticeable, but with extremely large chests (like the 512 slot warehouses in SE) it becomes more pronounced. It's still fine to use large chests in places, but using them every time you want a train station or belt balanced adds up quickly.

Darox fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 17, 2023

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

Yes it does matter, the game won't check blocked slots so doing that way is more UPS efficient.

There's nothing stopping items from existing in blocked spots so I'm not sure that's true. It might help but it's definitely not the same as not having the extra slots.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Vanilla station limits and the Train Control Signals mod combined have demolished any interest I had in using LTN, they make it super simple to set up effective train networks.

As for learning trains, this video does a great job explaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG4oD4iGVoY
Especially because it's only 3 minutes long instead of over an hour like some less than good factorio tutorial videos.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUnl-M0lVBM

This one.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's wildly impractical for several reasons but it is very silly, and that's what is most important.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If you don't want a perfectly rectangular base but still want bot repairs the way to go is individual logistics networks supplied by mixed cargo trains. This also lets you ship in ammo so you don't need everything connected even with big lakes breaking up the walls and you can stick an artillery wagon on it as well.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I beat Space Exploration. I enjoyed it, Arcospheres were the most satisfying part. Lost ~10k total logistics bots to attrition, entirely from Nauvis & Space base, but that worked out to like 1 bot every ~3 seconds which is nothing especially considering how heavily I was using them for mall stuff.

Thinking about doing a Nullius or Rampant run next, any recommendations for either?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Freaksaus posted:

What are some fun, but not crazy overpowered mods to help with moving around the base?

I've heard about mods that helicopters, jetpacks, planes or even teleporters and those all sound like fun. Ideally it'd be balanced like nanabots where there is still a tradeoff in using it over just walking or using a train.

The grappling gun mod is a nice early game mobility tool. Cheap but not free ammo, faster than walking with bare legs, still nice even later on for short distances because it can get you over impassable gaps or quickly through a tangle of machines.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'm going to shill Train Control Signals because it's an extremely simple and effective vanilla+ train mod. It adds two signals you can use to mark a station as a fuel stop or a waiting bay. Trains will only visit refueling stops when they run low and they'll only go to waiting bays when their next destination is full.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

One thing i've noticed in my current Space Exploration run is that I seem to always need more sulfur, and no amount of oil wells seems to actually fill the gaping maw that is petrol and plastic. Compared to everything else in the game Crude as a raw resource just seems to require so many oil wells and processing stages.

Is it just me or does the balancing there seem very wrong for anybody else who has played it?

The sulfur, plastic & rocket fuel (and thus oil) requirements for things are far higher than vanilla, yeah. You need a lot more oil. The closest moon to Nauvis is always guaranteed to be a biter-free oil-primary moon though, and will give you more crude than you could ever use if you tap it. You could source it all from Nauvis if you expand enough but the oil moon is the most worthwhile surface to colonize that doesn't have a special space resource primary.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Mailer posted:

Is there any way I can easily move my mall's contents to effectively centralize the bots where I'm now building? For once I'm wishing I had the equivalent of Satisfactory's filtered sorters, where I could ensure any <item X> passing through on a conveyor is automatically pulled off the chain and nothing would ever slip by.

Edit: I mean in a way that isn't just shoving all random contents to come off the train into random yellow buckets and letting the bots sort it out. I'd like to have a place I can go to get 500 belts when I need them without waiting on a ton of logistics bots to fill me up.
Buffer chests?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I started a Rampant/K2 game and things were going fine for a while but then I decided to grab a large chunk of land and discovered that apparently rampant biters can spawn nests from thin air anywhere they like with no restriction. I go out and kill everything in an area and then with no biter or nests in the area suddenly another dozen nests sprout out of the ground. I'm not missing expansion parties, they even spawn literally on top of my walls as I'm building them.

All of the nests you can see on the mini map didn't exist 15 seconds ago and there was no biters in the area to create them.

This is ruining the mod for me, hopefully there's some option or setting I can find to disable this garbage.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If by 'blocks' you mean chunks/chunk borders, that's not a mod that's a debug setting. They show up by default when you pause the game but you can also use the debug options menu (F4) to set them to be always on or have them only show up when you toggle on debug view (F5).

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

nullEntityRNG posted:

So because I hate myself and wanted to set a goal to actually finish a project I've started I decided to go straight to finish a SE run. 13 days in (not including lab times for testing and rate testing) and so far its been a fun, albeit arduous journey. But now I've stonewalled at the last major hurdle. Those drat arcospheres.

I just can't figure out how to balance the drat things. I've must have spent 2 solid days trying to figure out how to do it, and nothing seems to work. I wanted to use bots and chests to actively balance them.

My best attempt takes 3 numbers, avg, min and max and basically allows one of the 8 folding devices if it meets the criteria:

• The sum of the input spheres > the sum of the output spheres
  • One of the input spheres must be greater than the max
  • One of the output spheres is lower than the min
If it meets one of these conditions it is allowed to run. Simple so far. It works ... until one value gets horribly unbalanced, like 10 and 2. All three are met because 6+6 is the same as 10+2 and before I can stop it, its deadlocked.

I probably could just find a blueprint that does it, but I want to avoid cheating like that and solve it because its a logistical puzzle its put forth... I'm just missing something that makes it click... anyone have any suggestions?

There is 10 folding recipes, the 8 paired ones but also the 2 inversions that take 4 spheres each. It might initially seem like the two inversions are not important but they're essential for preventing that kind of 10-2 imbalance you're describing. You can run the same kind of conditions on them, though you may want to make sure you can scale for multiple machines because those recipes are noticeably slower than the others.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

That space platform looks grossly organic, especially the engines. Neat.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The first CME is an interesting challenge to block but later CMEs are pretty boring once you have space infrastructure. It's just a tax of grabbing a pile of scaffolding & solar panels, flying out to the affected planets orbit in your starter spaceship and building a small platform for the umbrella. Doing that keeps that planet CME-proof for the rest of the game.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

Feels like SpaceEx is missing (...) some way to beam electricity directly between surfaces like the Microwave power plant in SimCity 2000.

This exists, it's the Beam Emitter/Receiver buried in tier 3 space sciences. The emitter sucks up a huge amount of power and transmits it to another surface where it heats up a receiver like a nuclear reactor, and then you plug heat converters & turbines into it. It's most useful when you set up a giant solar farm around the sun. It's a good way to permanently solve outpost power problems, but you can also power spaceships with it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Cargo rockets are the intended midgame solution before you unlock spaceships. After playing through completely I really think the cargo cannons need a modification pass, they are too limited to be that useful - you need to send cargo rockets with the rocket parts needed to send back rockets of materials anyway so you might as well barrel or send the solid ice chunks or slush or whatever. Cargo rockets have uses through the entire game (general outpost supply) but cannons don't and I think one way of making them useful would be allowing them to send fluids. that would make them useful into the late game and fill a useful niche.

Getting basic space sensors working with reporting and acting on the outpost inventory is almost mandatory, I don't know how people can play/beat it without it. You don't *have* to autolaunch but just auto-filling the rocket with what's needed is such a huge quality of life change.
It's a shame that cargo rockets are the best way to transport items between planets because they're also the first one you unlock. Cannons have low throughput, high energy costs and restrictive item limits, which makes them only really worth it for early liquids and items you only use in relatively tiny amounts, like supplying off-world reactors with uranium or ice. If you set up a basic rocket part resupply system you then have the ability to treat cargo rockets as a super simple and powerful train system where you just slap down a landing pad station anywhere you like and you have that resource immediately at hand.
Spaceships are deep into the tech tree, are much more fiddly to automate, aren't anywhere near as fast, and are a UPS hog, so they only really end up being useful for specialty items like the Sun/Asteroid probe data as well as Naquitite simply because the fuel costs and lack of local supply make even nearby deep space fields awkward for pure cargo rocket logistics. Space Elevators are the ideal because they basically link the two surfaces but they only work planet <-> orbit so it's mostly for getting all the liquids and processed goods from your main planet up to your space base.
Technically Arcochests are the absolute best inter-surface transportation option but they're also buried in the endgame after you've already basically won and costs 20 arcospheres each time.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The third option is to just remove the need for such conditions by improving production to the point that trains won't have to wait for stations to fill up. This works for basically everything, just make more stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Please don't trick people into believing there is ever a reason to use burner inserters in vanilla.