Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I keep seeing GIFs like this of this game and that old cartoon "industry/factory/building something" music keeps playing in my head. It's sort of wonderful. :allears:

This one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I bought this game because it was going up in price soon and I've put off trying it.

Being the clever dick I am I played a few hours to figure out the basics and then installed a shitload of mods.

And, well...

Even with the mods I'm using I suspect the approach I'm taking is possibly a bit insane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm having fun with it, if anything it's quite nice having ridiculous amounts of new things to build and keeping it all organized is fun.

It's more that I'm using a mod that adds a bunch of ore types which are processed into a bunch of different raw minerals so I decided instead of doing that I'm just going to electrolyse a fucktonne of water and refine the slag into mineral goop which i can then make into whatever ores I want rather than having to figure out how to store all the poo poo I don't need right now.

I'm enjoying the emphasis that everything has a load of byproducts which you can reprocess to get more stuff out at the end but I think I need a lot more space to do all that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 10, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Renegret posted:

Just let excess materials back up on the belt.

Full belts are a thing of beauty

The issue is that a lot of it is stuff I literally can't process into useable stuff so I need to keep it somewhere, the mods have big silos which I'm using but it produces a lot of extra poo poo that I haven't built processing stuff for and possibly can't yet. I need the belts clear for stuff to keep running. Full belts are great aye but I need them full of stuff I can actually use.

I'm also enjoying that I can store a million gallons of molten metal in a gasometer.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 10, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesla was right posted:

There is a point where you can overproduce things, and that's where you have a manufacturing process that has multiple outputs.
Before you research cracking, oil production will grind to a halt unless you're turning light oil and heavy oil into solid fuel and feeding that into your boilers.

It's a much bigger problem in Bob/angels, though, since they have a lot more byproducts, and not necessarily an easy way to get rid of them. Chlorine production by saline water electrolysis produces sodium hydroxide, and your only major sink for that is aluminium.
And ore sorting before you have catalysts can choke your factory with useless nickel ore.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bonfire Lit posted:

I don't like Angel's Refining because all of the ore sorting stuff is massively huge and ridiculously slow. With the number of buildings you require to have even a semi-decent amount of ore per minute, they could really be 3x3 instead of 6x6 or whatever size the stuff is. In fact that's an issue I have with most of the Angel buildings.

Also your screenshot looks like you might be playing with Angel's Petrochem and if you are then hoo boy are you in for a ride.

Yeah there's a whole page of chemicals to faff about with which is going to be fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Well then this sounds right up your alley then. A lot of the stuff is actually fairly simple to make, you just need to make the parts out of bronze or steel with a few extra stages (making balls + bearings and then shoving them together) the biggest source of complexity is basically the chips which get absurd. The furthest I got was level 2 which needed boards made out of wood/resin, etched with ferric chloride and then you gotta make transistors (out of silicone) to slap on them.

On the plus side your sulfur will literally become free once you get Angel's refining up and running (to the point where you'll be making H2SO4 and shoving it in a clarifier just so your factory doesn't back up and jam with too much sulfur). Also, have fun dealing with waste-rock!

I literally just got to the point where I can produce a limitless supply of iron/steel/lead/tin/copper/resin/wood/plastic so I'm setting out to make a section which can mass produce the first couple of circuit boards.

I feel like it should be possible I'm just... struggling to approach it because there's so many things that need feeding into each other and use various bits of the resources I've run to it that I'm not sure how to do this elegantly. I'm staring at a nice tidy bus for those basic resources and wondering how the hell I'm not going to end up with some spaghetti nightmare.

Honestly I've had no issue with the rest of angelbobs so far because I can approach it one bit at a time and it's all slowly built to having this little production base I'm now using, but setting up production for circuit boards is proving hard to hold in my head at once.

The waste rock however is actually going great for me, I built a shitton of electrolysers just to produce it so I can condense it back into sludge for making more resources :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 13, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Yeah as I said when the other guy was talking about Angelbob's, the biggest source of frustration in Bob's is circuits because dude does NOT let up. Tier 0.5 are okay, 1.0 aren't that bad, 1.5 are actually easier than 1.0 by a bit but aren't used by much besides basic bots, and then tier 2.0 is "holyfuckwhat?"

The biggest frustrations in Angels are sorting (hint: look up the stuff to mix two or more ores together to get pure iron/copper/whatever), stone and petrochem which it sounds like you have well in hand.

Yeah I'm looking to use the catalysts to get specific ores, and I just finished this... thing... that produces the first three circuit types and should let me manufacture the first three sciences too! I also since I started producing white circuits, am now able to build logistics robots that should hopefully help with later stages of complex production.

e: so I just automated the production of logistics robots using logistics robots and it just now occurs to me that this might possibly be a bad thing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 14, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wow logistics robots are insanely good.

I'm literally now automating the production of logistics stuff so I can place logistics stuff in the satellite view and it'll build itself.

Also they make more of themselves so it's slowly accelerating production of all the stuff they're involved in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might try belts only in vanilla but with the amount of different crap I'm handling with the mods I think I'm going to need to use robots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that too they're significantly faster than the bots even with low tier belts so once I move into mass production I'll use more of them. As it stands this modpack's kinda proving more about getting through the tech tree to unlock all the infrastructure before I look into massively expanding how much of it I build. No point building a production chain en masse if I then need to insert an extra step later on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jarf posted:

Jeesis and I have been playing with Angels & Bobs and a few other mods and good lord I am having a great old time. I feel like I'm relearning the entire game. So many new processes and products, it's amazing. In vanilla my tactic was to build a main bus and run stuff like iron and copper down it but I'm not sure if that is feasible now there are just too many products! Anybody have any pro strats they can share in regards to this?

Also I made a couple short and dumb Factorio videos that you might enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JilyprTRvtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s83YKb5OBbY

I've redesigned my refining setup a bunch and I think I've come to the realization that you actually want to branch off every stage of ore refining. So you want to crush your ores, pull a branch off of crushed ore, while simultaneously feeding it onto a floatation cell, then you want to split the chunks off and also branch them into crystallizers and so on.

The reason for this is that you can use catalysts to process combinations of ores in various states of processing into specific end products and if you don't do this, you're going to run into a point where you're swimming in poo poo you don't need.

So for example if you want pure iron production, you want to split off crushed jivolite and crushed saphirite, then mix them with a catalyst in a sorting machine and it'll convert it to iron 1:1, you can get a lot more raw production per ore if you run it through all the various refining systems but it'll be all the rare elements and such that you don't actually need many of, and if you're using infinite ores you'll probably want to use the catalysts to just save you the headache of storing all the useless high tier poo poo you have no actual use for but you do need shitloads of iron.

You also want to get waste rock reprocessing up and running ASAP because it's a really good way of getting specific minerals that you need and also you can use it to make fluorite, which you need for hydrofluoric acid, which you need to mine infinite jivolite, which you can only otherwise get from, well, refining jivolite. The process is a net positive but if you want to use crushed jivolite for the aforementioned pure iron production, you will need to insert extra fluorite into the equation from somewhere and that means using the mineral sludge to create it.

I think a lot of the hump is that it's really loving hard to just produce lots of a single material, because everything has byproducts you need to manage or they'll jam your whole system up. Once you get waste rock reprocessing set up and some crushed jiv/saph then you can start churning out a shitload of iron without worrying about byproducts and that's so loving nice.

I feel like it's the kind of thing honestly that you would presumably want to set up some obscene logic system to turn on and off various parts of the production based on what you've got a surplus of.

E: Something I would also suggest is that if you have a surplus of power, set up a huge bank of electrolysers fed with lakewater, because they produce slag as a byproduct and you can feed that into your waste rock reprocessing to get some of the rarer materials on demand. Oxygen and hydrogen also don't come amiss though you will massively overproduce them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 16, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a bunch of stuff that doesn't actually have many uses so even if you have a main bus for iron/copper etc you probably won't bother for say, tin/lead because they're mostly only used for solder and making other stuff like bronze.

I would say once you get to the smelting setup, you want to have a mixed ingot bus from which your induction furnaces can just pick stuff off depending on what they need, because there's a crapton of mixed metal approaches to making stuff. For example iron can be made by smelting iron ingots, but you can also make mixed iron/silicon and iron/nickel/cobalt, so rather than trying to make dedicated lines I've just made a big looped bus that all the ingots get dumped onto, and then splitting them back off for the dedicated production runs but putting the mixed furnaces ahead of them in the bus, and picking the stuff straight off the belt first.

You'll want to do this because refining stuff a lot makes a crapton of rarer stuff that you'll probably want to use up by smelting it back into basic stuff like iron. I don't need silicon/nickel/cobalt for anything really but I'm producing it anyway so I fold it back into iron.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 17, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fukkin yeah boiiis, I just figured out and set up the beginnings of an automatic control system that processes the ores I mine into specific resources based on what I have a shortage of at the moment. The circuitry system is super loving powerful and easy to use.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't, presently, and I definitely have an overabundance of stuff I don't need with angelbobs, so having it only output the ores I actually need is super helpful. I can't really expand production of stuff until I'm not spending every five minutes sorting out overproduced resources jamming up the smelting array. So if I automate that I can just have it produce what's needed and it'll scale up as I put better belts into the refinery setup.

Downside: I need to mass produce nitric acid to mine rubyite/bobmonium which I need for targeted lead/tin production and the only way to make nitric acid for some reason is to use aluminium/silver catalysts, which needs the next tier of catalytic ore production to make and is going to need its own loving branch because I always need to keep a stock of those unsmelted or it'll crash the ore input.

Like loving hell it's basically air flavoured water how hard can it be to make??

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I said though I can't expand consumption without a stable production base that requires less of the finite and non expandable resource: my attention.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I just built an armoured train and stuck a plasma cannon on it, choo choo motherfuckers.

Can't wait for one of those artillery cars. God trains are loving cool in this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To be honest I'm thinking I probably don't really want to bother setting up mass production for anything but catalyzed processing, because I think you can actually make everything with catalysis, you just need to feed off each tier of refinement and stuff it into sorters with catalysts and it will produce what you want, on demand, in my case based on how full my molten tanks are.

It'll need some more specific logic to handle the mixed metals, but it should be doable still, or what I'm doing right now which is just putting them at the head of the line and filling them 100% with inserters and if they're full then it goes on to produce other stuff. You don't need a lot of mixed metal until pretty late, except maybe bronze and solder, solder can be made at the end from tin/lead and bronze can be made easily cos it's just copper/tin.

You see I've branched off right at the crushed stage and set up a stack of sorters and basic catalysts for all the crushed ores, they turn on/off based on molten lead/tin/copper/iron levels, then I'm going to do the same thing at the chunk level above that, setting up switched sorters for the chunk level of catalyzed refinement which I think is like silvery/ally/nickel and stuff, then above that I'll be feeding the crystallizers and splitting them off, then I think purified only makes tungsten.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Public service announcement: Requester warehouses have a smaller capacity than normal warehouses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nevets posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but what is the point of a requester warehouse? Is there ever a reason to have 30K of an item available all at once in one place?

I assume it's useful for logistics heavy builds, I'm using those ones as buffers for the ore processing system, and I made them requesters so that they can also suck in any random bits of ore I end up trashing while faffing about with belts.

I can do the same thing with a chest and an inserter sure but it's easier to put it on the warehouse. Basically it combines the function of a warehouse (storing lots of stuff) and a bunch of requester chests and inserters (connecting to the logistics network)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jabor posted:

I'd have thought buffer warehouses would be better here, so that bots can also grab from it if you're actually requesting the raw ore anywhere else.

Maybe? I've not used buffers so I wasn't sure what they did.

I'm not using raw ore anywhere else though, it's the central ore processing intake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Less Fat Luke posted:

13 hours into an Angel + Bob's playthrough and I realize that splitters themselves have a new filtering functioning from a recent patch. That will certainly simplify stuff!

Annoyingly though it will jam the conveyor rather than let things through if the belt is full. I'd like to be able to turn that off. At the moment I try to work around it by prefacing it with a second splitter and a second bypass belt, set the pre-splitter to just filter everything into the filter splitter because an unfiltered priority splitter is "soft" and won't lock up when it has nowhere to place its preferred output.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xzzy posted:

Someone on reddit dug up the post where factorio was announced on a minecraft forum:

https://forum.industrial-craft.net/thread/8845-factorio/

Which if you click around brings you to this video. Hell yeah programmer art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1qOCAM9Syw

That fukkin german voice.

Wonderful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you need sulphuric acid then you can produce it from coal with some advanced chemistry.

Water electrolysis will get you absolute shitloads of hydrogen and oxygen? Slow isn't what I'd call it. You put water in and get hydro/oxy out, plus slag for reprocessing. It's basically free, just build more electrolysers. It's not like water is a scarce resource. Your limit is how many electrolysers you want to build.

My hangup for angelbobs was getting nitric acid to mine the two ores that use it from infinite patches. Turns out nitrification is as loving annoying in factorio as it is in real life.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 14, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that you dad has an extremely Dad approach to the game, obviously understanding why you would want to do everything in it, but stumbling with basic computer use. Quite fitting for an engineer :v:

That does sound like a pretty good father's day present.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

I just want to take a moment to appreciate this item name. Modding can be a pretty wild ride!

(The mod, by the way.)

That's not... strictly incorrect, if you pulverized it into granules it would exhibit fluid properties while remaining a solid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angelbobs definitely has enough different paths through it that I think you'd a: struggle to make blueprints for all of it and b: you won't be able to depend on having all the inputs for optimal operation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Your power infrastructure should generally be somewhere dedicated that you can send fuel to from whatever source you're using.

Alternatively just move them closer to the oil if you're going to be using that from now on.

Liquids are easy to move long distance with underground pipes so you can do that with either the water, oil, or both.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LLSix posted:

Distance wise, that's fine.

As long as you build reasonably close to water you should be fine. I wouldn't try to pipe water across the length of your base to fuel power boilers though.

I mean it's true that there's probably not a great reason to do that if that's all you're using the water for but I'm used to angelbobs which uses water for a bunch of things so i have a water line running around the base anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LLSix posted:

I'm surprised you haven't run into problems from that yet. There's an upper limit to the amount of water a pump can create per second and an upper limit to the amount of water that can be pumped through a single pipe network that is not just the sum of all the pumps attached to it. A single pump maxes out at feeding 20 boilers (I think it's actually 20 and a bit but its still better to have a separate pump and pipe line for every 20 boilers). I run almost every water requester in my base on its own pipe line unless its just one or two assemblers.

I tend to plumb in extra pumps around the place whenever I go near a body of water and eventually just connect them all up to the same water loop, cos there's a bunch of stuff in angelbobs that need a bit of water here and thee. But I also haven't ever needed 20 boilers yet and I don't imagine you would at the point when you're debating where to put your power/oil infrastructure.

Angelbobs is slow enough that you spend more time setting up new things rather than scaling up existing ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The main problem I have is not getting insufficient amounts but rather getting too much of the stuff I don't need, so the first thing I tend to try to set up is a catalysed refining setup that produces what I actually need.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually started with angelbobs, more or less, after a very brief run to get the basics of how the game worked.

It's gonna be weird playing without any mods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Factorio without mods is bizzarely simple. Also not a fan of the new world gen because it really doesn't work with large oceans as well as the previous one did, cuts you off real easy and didn't generate me any oil anywhere I can see to bridge to.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 27, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Toot toot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Is there a proper/better way to do this?

Like, I want to merge a coal belt with an iron/copper belt, is there a better way to make the output put all iron on one side and all coal on the other when both sides of the incoming belts are being used?

You can make it more compact than that, but no that's how you do it. There's a whole set of belt shapes that do various things to where resources are positioned on belts, and a big part of assembly efficiency is being able to create belts which feed just the stuff you need to where you need it.

E: You can use splitters to filter stuff but the problem is that a single splitter will actually lock the belt if it can't offload its filtered product, you need to use two splitters next to each other, one to split from the main belt, the other to filter the second stream, to get a "soft" filter like that. It's generally much easier to just load your belts from the side when you want to shuffle your belt loads around.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 1, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

uPen posted:

The robots not launching from vehicles they can't keep up with doesn't seem to account for faster fuels. My robots are happily getting left in the dust by a rocket-fueled tank.

Have you considered making them bipedal and nuclear armed? I hear that's how you surpass rocket tanks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm just getting back into this, and regarding .17 biters my strategy is to set water pretty high on map creation (300% on both sliders) to create natural chokepoints which I can then wall the gently caress off. Not sure if I have water high enough yet though

This is a fun way to play, I think. Have the starting area be on a peninsula. Makes the pace a bit more enjoyable for an anglebobs game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

R/Seablock has been whipping up a 0.16 seablock server for the past couple days. It is fuckin wild.

Like the level of complexity in bobs/angela means nobody can claim expertise or a "one true build". But the resource scarcity is so extreme teamwork is heartwarming and desperate. Since all things come from the sea, you can just build a positive loop somewhere and it is a positive contribution to the meager resources.

Also the discord dude running the server and been adapting redmew's softmods for a whole bunch of differnt ascii art surprises. There has been 3 server wipes. I was able to witness mindblowingly different approaches.

Angelbobs has a whole system for distilling resources from seawater, basically, so building a gigantic desalinization plant and mineral slurry reprocessor is a good way to make stuff. Especially cos you can automate it to only produce the resources you actually need and it can produce extremely rare resources as easily as common ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless they changed it, last time I tried it, slurry condesning to ore produces quite comparable levels of both iron and crazy stuff like uranium and fluorite or whatever. You just feed goop into one of the machines and it randomly spits out chunks of ore, and you can tell it what types you want. I haven't played seablock though yes I would assume you can't just mine stuff. But the slurry refining process was pretty result agnostic, I think some of the rarer ores had slightly less chance to appear per cycle, but still orders of magnitude easier than most methods of acquiring them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Check out the "main bus" concept. It's a logical and structured way to get products where they need to go. I use a main bus up to blue science and then I shift over to dedicated production centers connected by rail.

I keep sort of trying to route all my stuff in one place but I invariably end up branching it off so many times and in so many directions it ends up as spaghetti anyway.

The coal line is especially bad for this because you need little bits of it all over the place so it ends up going through half the base. And don't get me started on angelbobs having like three or four different coal variants you need. Eventually I just decided it was easier to route raw coal and duplicate the production for the coal products wherever I needed them.