Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I've been playing after being gone for 5 years and have tried to not use others blueprints to do things beyond smelting and green chips because those are boring and obvious. I wound up spending a ton of time trying to build the most compact purple science blueprint I could and have learned just like real coding that too much optimization just isn't worth it. I now know to just come up with the logical chunks of things I need to make, make each chunk in an ergonomic way, and then get them reasonably together.

I've also learned that not only is too much belt weaving and reuse hard to manage, it can also screw up throughout if you wind up needing to rely on long reach inserters for high volume input. I've got to pay attention to number of items as well as type. My rails need to get redone in order to get stone in fast enough now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Unlike coding, Factorio is a game so the correct level of optimization is "as much as you think is fun"

Yeah and it is a fun exercise but I still should only do it *after* I've made a reasonable baseline.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Belt weaving also sucks a whole lot down the road when you forget you did it and do a mass robot-powered belt upgrade on your entire base and it completely breaks your build. No, of course I've never done this, why do you ask?

If you always do higher tier first you are safe right? Like red to blue before yellow to red?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I took the time to rearrange it so that nothing is weaved and nothing that is high throughput is inserted or taken on underground entrances or exits. Is that still a problem or did they fix that? I've noticed that using undergrounds for compression has changed since last I played. What about inserters and corners? Still inefficient?

Can't believe I have spent probably 6 hours just optimizing purple science but it was a good exercise. The blueprint laboratory mod made it much nicer to tinker with.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
By corners I mean that inserters had a harder time grabbing from one of the sides of a corner I forget which.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Ok what about inserters sometimes struggling with placing and picking up at underground entrances and exits?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

It's a thing with mods that have slower inserters than default (like Py), but I think vanilla inserters are all fast enough to not have issues unless you're really low on power. I haven't played vanilla in a long time though, so I can't be 100%.
Man makes things a lot easier to not have to worry about any of that. I still like pulling from a belt if I can just so I can see what's happening at a glance though. I guess bottleneck does that for me though.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Its a Rolex posted:

I'm not sure how much I'll keep playing past the rocket, I built a spidertron last night and probably want to build an artillery just for completeness sake. I'll likely finish the science and set it down until the expansion, or build to some meager SPM target over the winter.

I can't recommend enough playing this game past oil (obviously preaching to the choir); it's absolutely a step change in difficulty, but the payoff for following through is so good

The achievement challenges are fun. There are overhauls that make everything change. Just starting up vanilla from scratch and trying again and fixing things is fun. Doesn't always have to become a post rocket mega base thing.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Oh sorry I meant for on the corners when the object is moving away from the inserter. Undergrounds are no different from pulling from a regular belt - the entire tile is fair game.

Edit: I tried to find a FFF backing this up but I can't find it. I'm fairly sure that's how it works though.

Yeah the problem I have is I try to find people that have done demonstrations and they are from some unknown earlier version that did have issues. Guess I could figure out the creative mode items and do it myself.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

If you're thinking about that old stuff, one thing you should definitely know is that belts auto-compress for like 5 years now. Doesn't matter how you space inserters, if the machine and inserter speed is sufficient they will saturate a belt perfectly.

Yep. Been super impressed by the amount of polish since last I played it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a mod that can have a display on a chest showing how many items are in there? Total count is all I would need because it would just be a single item chest. Some sort of enhanced alt mode.

Also, is there a mod that will show the current out of game time? I would like something to keep me a bit more aware of the hours that just seem to evaporate into nothing when playing this.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

*wiring a bunch of combinators into a speaker to Morse code the quantity in a chest when I'm nearby* a mod for what now?

How much do you want a numerical readout? Babby's first circuits design is a quartile/decile/etc. chest meter which just involves wiring the chest to a string of 4-10 lamps and hard coding them to turn out at certain % of the chest capacity.

I was hoping for some sort of numeric display panel that can display a signal value at least. But I could at least see how to wire the meter you describe myself at least

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks all!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I've been playing on my steam deck and been really happy with the community config that I'm running. It isn't based on the controller config it is more of a use the touch pads as a mouse style config.

But I come to realize now that I've been playing for the last. I don't know 40 hours on my steam deck with my refresh rate fixed to 40 frames per second. So does that mean 40 updates per second too? Then have I been running at like 2/3 speed this entire time?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I play most steam deck stuff at 40 fps because battery life

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a mod to have bitter corpses disappear very quickly? They make the ground hard to see otherwise

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Solumin posted:

And the whole business with checking if the refinery is making black smoke or white smoke is very confusing to new players.

Scaling up anti-pope production is the real challenge

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Solumin posted:

the Ranch Dressing Planet

Finally a way to get my 8 year old to play

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Oops I accidentally played until 4 am

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
It always shocks me how elegantly they handle the solution to some problems. This is another case of that. Exciting.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
And at this point the 2.0 feature upgrades without any space stuff would be worth a DLC purchase no doubt. I hope they add a pretty large price tag for it overall because they'll have earned it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

And yeah, you can accomplish priorities with signals already. Put a priority combinator at each station, if a higher priority is on the network train limit is capped at 0, if train count < train limit, make the priority signal equal your priority level. With the 2.0 changes making running circuit networks everywhere much easier, it'll be reasonably easy to accomplish.

Why is running circuit networks easier in 2.0?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Anyone have a good guide to when I would use the various flavors of logistic chest? I get what they do individually I just don't know where green and purple fit in my factory.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

darthbob88 posted:

Green chest: "Please make sure I have this stuff, and also make it available for other bots". I don't use this much, and mainly for staging construction supplies near my wall so repair bots don't have to fly all the way back to the main base.
Purple chest: "Please take this stuff away from me". I mainly use this for a) unloading trash that comes in from outpost deconstruction and b) handling spent nuclear fuel cells.
Red chests: "This stuff is available for any bot who needs it". Differs from yellow chest in that a) bots will not add to red chests, making them useful for holding construction material at the building end of a train, and b) red chests are lower priority for bots to take from, making them useful for holding new-production stuff and forcing bots to reuse trash from yellow chests first.
Blue chests: "Please make sure I have this much stuff". Used in places where I don't want to run a belt to supply a particular manufacturing process.
Yellow chests: "Here's some stuff and space for any bot who needs it". Lay down a field of these to create a virtual junk drawer.

Thanks. Green I guess is the one that still confuses me. Just because I'm not sure when Id ever pick that over a logistic filtered yellow.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks all really interesting and enlightening.

Does anyone know a good mod for doing operations like upgrades or deletes for an entire line of belts? Would be nice to do that instead of rectangular selection.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Steam Deck Factorio is great. Finally launched my first rocket after a few restarts (after like 5 years of being away from it).

The concept of an "early bot setup" mod (I used nanbots) sounds nice but it lead to me just never getting to making full bots because the nanobots were good enough. This time I did it by hand, and the difference when bots got unlocked was a revelation (the way it should be).

Might do some sort of compromise of hand building only but with a mod that will auto fill in ghosts with the item on your cursor, so it is still annoying enough to have to switch between the different items and paint everything, but at least I don't have to click and rotate each one (this is finicky enough on M+KB but with steam deck controls it is really slow).

Kind of not interested in a megabase try yet, but I don't want to do vanilla again right now. Thinking maybe K2? Is that a series of mods or just one you install? EDIT: Looks like just one but they recommend some others. Why do they recommend armored biters?

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 19, 2023

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

I'm not sure if you understand the ghost pipette functionality or not, but that plus being smart about the order you build things it makes it a lot easier to drag swathes out.

I do (I think), it is just the precision you need to click with on the steam deck is annoying. If I had a mod that would only let me place the right thing over ghosts then maybe that would be enough even. So often I get something lined up then slip by one grid row right at the last second.

Edir: Also only let me place over a ghost of the orientation is right.

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 19, 2023

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a more effective early game biter defense than just "4 turrets next to each other with a wall around, place wherever you think necessary and add more if biters get through"? All encompassing walls without either flamethrower turrets or bots sounds tedious to maintain.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I wish there was a way to play with ghosts with the game paused. Currently in order to plan something out in the early game I either have to keep dealing with biters while doing it or quit and go to the editor extensions map, mess around with it in peace and then blueprint it.

There is a blueprint lab mod that lets you jump in and out of something like that but it doesn't pause the game while in there, so biter attacks keep continuing.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I want Dosh to play this.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Its a Rolex posted:

FFF today is about blueprint parameterization. This sounds like it would make combinators much nicer to work with/easier to blueprint and black-box

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-392

I have wished for some of this for a while. The rest makes it even better. Space Age keeps looking amazing.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

DarkSol posted:

Can someone break down the latest FFF and explain it to me like I'm 5? It just isn't parsing in my head for some reason.

You can make a generic blueprint like "take in 3 ingredients and spit out one thing" and with the new stuff instead of having to make different versions of that blueprint for item A B and C separately, you can just make a generic 3 in 1 out, and when you place it it will give you a UI to specify what are the 3 in and what is the 1 out. That then plumbs through the rest of the blueprint. This is a simple example.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Can anyone explain what the values of grid position and absolute x/y have to do with each other?

I'm trying to make my own absolute grid rail prints with a city block ( well, brick) design. So far every BP I make I have to randomly stab around for the right values to type in grid position to make everything match up. It works but is tedious and feels antithetical to the game. How am I supposed to reason about them?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there any mod out there that will let me hide the spidertron interface or stack it with the character one? The side by side of it is hiding too much of my screen on the steam deck.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
What's the victory condition for K2? I've unlocked the last tech card I think.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

SettingSun posted:

Don't watch the Dosh video on K2 if you want to preserve the surprise. But do watch it eventually because it is a Dosh video.

Yeah that's the one I haven't watched yet.

I've just started smelting immersium and unlocked the advanced smelters and assemblers. How long do I probably have left if I'm not going to try and megabase? This was a trial run with K2 with biters off so I'm looking to just get to the end, see all the stuff it offers, then starting over with biters on for the real experience.

So far it has been a cool playthrough though. Definitely appreciate it isn't so overwhelming as like seablock looked like. What is a good next step in terms of overhaul mods after K2? Some increase in complexity but not like Space Ex big.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there any mod that extends the functionality of shift right clicking on a building then shift left clicking to copy through to other things? I'd love to be able to do that from a building to an inserter that has an empty circuit condition to automatically use that product in the condition slot. So like if I am building a mall I can just copy from building to inserter to control amounts being inserted.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I found one that works it is called Additional Paste Settings. Does exactly what I wanted. You can even in the settings change the default behavior so that the inserter cuts off at some multiple of stack size, or time to craft, or number of items.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there any way to see the engineers current run speed, mining speed, reach etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I'm glad for filters on every inserter now. Was a dumb distinction.

2.0 looking better and better.