Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Is there more campaign after the radar scanning part? It closed out after that for me but I've downloaded the alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Elfface posted:

There is, that's just where the demo ends. You can jump in to Chapter 2, which picks up where the demo chapter left off, so no need to re-do things either.

but I didnt download the demo :(, I'm a Transport Belt Repair Man and clicked the download 0.9.8 alpha zip. Weird. How large is your alpha folder?

Edit: I'm dumb, there's a new hope chapter.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

do you guys reccomend goon island as a first serious map? I've hosed around but never actually put time into this game, i wanna get a crazy factory going and the goon island looks neat.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i just clicked new game, set it to rail world, pasted that string in and hit generate and got the goon island, so it should work fine...

edit: i'm getting weird hitching in the game, like the fps stays solid at 60 but every minute or so i get a little bit of choppiness. i have auto save pushed out to like 10 mins as well.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

satisfactory has made me start playing this as well, gonna post my lovely factory spaghetti for you all to appreciate!

heres the start. managed to get red science automated, and self sustaining boilers.

i feel like im gonna run out of room for my furnaces eventually

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 6, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i automated green science! ive never gottent his far playing before lol. it broke my brain a bit figuring it out

im dumb and thought the factory things couldnt do larger than 2 item recipes so i was confused as hell until i realized i could just pick whatever in the list for them to make

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

electric furnaces!

oh they need steel.

oh steel is 5 iron plates per, i guess my 5 furnaces and 3 miners making plates isnt gonna keep up now.

i like how i feel less tied to ratios in factorio over just making sure im outputting as much as i can. satisfactory im like OK this put out 30/ min so i need 2 of these, etc/

factorio i feel like, oh. im not keeping up with demand, ill just drop another 5 miners.

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 7, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

K8.0 posted:

I was watching a new player stream last night, trying to just give tips on UI functionality and the like, but they were playing with 3 people and only had 6 total iron miners. They kept almost, but not quite, realizing that they needed to put down a ton more miners.

There should be more encouraging new players to stream their playthrough. Blind Factorio is one of the most fun things to watch.

yeah im realizing how fastim going to have to scaleup.

also i feel like a genius, setting up a steel foundry, wondering how the gently caress im going to snake coal all the way over, since i though steel furnaces were electric but they arent. then i realized you could filter splitters. so now im just filtering my excess coal off my iron makers over to the steel ones.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok wow steel furnaces are a huge upgrade.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i started on a rail world for mine since it seemed neat. was that a bad idea for starting?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

started running into space issues so now i restarted with a better plan in mind. way more room for iron and stuff, and more lanes to split off of when i can poo poo out enough material to fill them. 1 didnt seem to be working.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ConfusedUs posted:

Not sure if you're aware, but this style of base design is called a "main bus" and is super popular and really powerful! The hardest part is figuring out what to put on the bus and what to make locally in each mini-factory that is fed from the bus.

Iron, Copper, and Green Circuits is a drat good start. I typically aim for four iron, four copper, and two green circuit lanes, so you're even pretty close to what I'd do! That carries me through a long time.

I realized how much stuff needed basically all those things, i was making green chips like every freggin building area so i figured id toss those out. are gears worth mass producing?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol i have no idea what im doing here, its so ugly but it works

getting the poo poo necessary for green science in one location, a knot tangle of belts

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

SkyeAuroline posted:

Same deal as before- if it works it's good. What's your plan to expand it if you need it, or are you just planning on replacing your infrastructure entirely once you've bootstrapped up?

i can continue to the right with assemblers, i can probably squeeze like 8 green science assemblers off those belts and inserters.. i think.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol man. every time i think oh yeah, i have a lot of production now, its like yeah nah. I love it.

Heres where im at now:

going to get steel going. im assuming im going to want to belt steel? seems like an upgrade to iron for most stuff

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how do you cut and paste stuff/ im assuming that comes once you get robots?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man, I started watching Katherine sky's recent series and Holy. I'm way under building. She's got like 48 furnaces up and running like an hour in.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Jesus its 48 furnaces to fill a yellow belt? So going up to Reds and blue you need like multiple that amount? Lmao the scale of this game is great.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i feel like im cheating, i grabbed the nanobots: early bots mod. but man, my mind is being blown coming from satisfactory where im connecting everything by hand. just copy pasting parts of my base is insane.

im assuming this is what construction bots do later on, but not expendable?

queeb fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 10, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I did it! my main base had a small crappy coal patch, so i got to train research and built my first.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

sucks that the dev is a chud, but he has my money already and factorio is pretty much the best game in this genre so im going to keep playing

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i havent played passed like just after early train science before and havent played in foever but captain of industry makes me want to play a full on much better factory game so im goin in blind passed that stage, prepare for pics of my poo poo rear end factory and me asking for help.

edit: unmodded too, i want those steam achievements, i have none currently.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

heres progress so far. automated belts and inserters. i feel like my mining setup is hosed up because as soon as i mine on the other side of the belt its all gonna be mixed up, ill have to like, separate the coal and ore onto separate belts and then rejoin them or something.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gonna swap miners over to T belts soon i think.

feeling proud of my little atomation area but lol, should made more room:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

holy gently caress its ugly but i figured it out

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

K8.0 posted:

There are a couple ways to do that much more elegantly, but you're making really rapid progress and you should be happy with yourself.

i played a bit awhile ago but i was legit just copying from a katherinofsky video and learning nothing up to green science, so I get things like the main bus and stuff but figuring this poo poo out solo hurts my brain but also feels dope when it works, lol

i'll look up the better ways after i launch a rocket in the 80 hours this is gonna take me.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

day 1 end progress. i got some stone going, probably to make walls i guess? do i need a lot of stone later? my little mall in the middle left there is coming along, just automated fast inserters which are dope. i currently have 4 assemblers making gears which makes me think i should belt it, at least in my mall but i dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

green science automated!