Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
avatar change, that's why I didn't remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

RandallODim posted:

I was going to say but I honestly wasn't sure if OMN was making a joke.

I was. I love any excuse to praise Vulpes for his Spider Punk story. They really gave the wrong Spiderverse character an ongoing. No offense to Jason Latour.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not feeling PP #1.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rhyno posted:

Not feeling PP #1.

Don't do this to me, don't do this to me now. I need this Rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure everyone will love it, it's just not for me I think.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I didn't really care for the FCBD issue. Chip is such a funny writer though, and Bendis said he's mad at how good he writes Spidey.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Not feeling PP #1.

I also can't feel my PP due to the medicine. :(

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I really liked PP! I'll be adding it to my pulls.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pubic works project posted:

I did too. I was both surprised and happy to see they brought back a specific one appearance character from a book I think very few people actually read. I really liked Teresa Parker in the Family Business book

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I actually preferred Secret Empire to PP in the FCBD issue so I'm sure I'll be with Rhyno.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

X-O posted:

I did too. I was both surprised and happy to see they brought back a specific one appearance character from a book I think very few people actually read. I really liked Teresa Parker in the Family Business book

I completely lost it when that happened.

Issue was alright imo, I was hyping myself up too much, but it's setting some neat things.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

pubic works project posted:

Nobody got that he's talking about jacking off here? Come on.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, it seems that Renew Your Vows is doing an 8-year timeskip with Legacy.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, it seems that Renew Your Vows is doing an 8-year timeskip with Legacy.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I feel bad about it and I am not even reading it right now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

evilmiera posted:

I feel bad about it and I am not even reading it right now.

Well you should be reading it! :colbert:

The prospect of the timeskip's just making me miss classic Spider-Girl more now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So I'm gonna be 'that guy' and say I quite liked the new Spiderman film so I'd like to give the comics another try after being out of the loop for like 15 years (the last thing I remember was an old man with some ancient spider-related heritage constantly turning up to say mysterious things, also Doc Ock is young and enjoys hookers). Assuming I don't want to read a million issues of back-story what's currently considered the 'main' series to read? The only two I found were the Miles Morales one and Renew Your Vowels which sounds dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

So I'm gonna be 'that guy' and say I quite liked the new Spiderman film so I'd like to give the comics another try after being out of the loop for like 15 years (the last thing I remember was an old man with some ancient spider-related heritage constantly turning up to say mysterious things, also Doc Ock is young and enjoys hookers). Assuming I don't want to read a million issues of back-story what's currently considered the 'main' series to read? The only two I found were the Miles Morales one and Renew Your Vowels which sounds dumb.

Renew your Vows is unironically the best Spider-Man book on the market right now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Amazing is the main title, but would be really difficult to get into.

I'd say to just go with the recently released Spectacular Spider-Man, which has a much better writer.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Codependent Poster posted:

Amazing is the main title, but would be really difficult to get into.

Oh right, I see it was rebooted in 2015. Could I not just start from there and make enough sense of it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you could but it's kinda bad

the first issue of spectacular is pretty underwhelming as well, at least to me. I agree with imp that renew your vows is the best spidey thing currently going. you could just ignore all that and cherry pick stuff tho. I'd suggest looking into spider-man and the x-men

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Steve2911 posted:

Oh right, I see it was rebooted in 2015. Could I not just start from there and make enough sense of it?

Nope since it's still slott and he has been writing it for a long time

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know you asked for the current main title but if you've been out of the game for this long then that means you missed the vast majority of Ultimate Spider-Man, which was never the main title but has been the biggest comics influence on all other Spider-Man media and adaptations since...? Norman Osborn's return in the mid-to-late 90s?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Norman's return in the 90s, as lovely as it was, kinda set the stage for the Ultimate line, didn't it? What with turning Norman into a boring dimestore Lex Luthor mastermind type who has big evil plans but maintains a respectable facade.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's a good point, ultimate spider-man's pretty good and would be a lot more familiar to anyone that's watched the movies than asm is

you'd also have an actual beginning and ending for peter parker's story

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Norman's return in the 90s, as lovely as it was, kinda set the stage for the Ultimate line, didn't it? What with turning Norman into a boring dimestore Lex Luthor mastermind type who has big evil plans but maintains a respectable facade.

Probably set the tone yeah. Maybe Bendis would have done it anyway since it was a reimagining but Osborn back in the day was much more sympathetic and perhaps tragic. It really did seem as though he sufferred this terrible second personality from the accident rather than him being an evil industrialist prick to begin with. The 90s cartoon and Raimi both did the classic Osborn but everything else does the Luthor-style Osborn.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

Probably set the tone yeah. Maybe Bendis would have done it anyway since it was a reimagining but Osborn back in the day was much more sympathetic and perhaps tragic. It really did seem as though he sufferred this terrible second personality from the accident rather than him being an evil industrialist prick to begin with. The 90s cartoon and Raimi both did the classic Osborn but everything else does the Luthor-style Osborn.

In the 90's cartoon Norman was literally working with the Kingpin and designed and outfitted the Hobgoblin before becoming the Green Goblin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you liked the movie go start Ultimate Spider-Man from the first issue. It's all on Marvel Unlimited.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

X-O posted:

If you liked the movie go start Ultimate Spider-Man from the first issue. It's all on Marvel Unlimited.

Then stop reading just before the Ultimate Clone Saga.

Edit:As for the reading , if I had the money to read that other comic I would.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vince MechMahon posted:

In the 90's cartoon Norman was literally working with the Kingpin and designed and outfitted the Hobgoblin before becoming the Green Goblin.

There are two parts to it. Not just what he was doing but how he was going about it. You're disputing the "evil industrialist" part and you're right about what Osborn was doing. I don't remember the plot well enough to know but was Osborn pressured or blackmailed into doing it? I remember him acting like he was constantly on the verge of a breakdown.

The other part is the Luthor-style mastermind. What I do remember about that cartoon is Osborn's personality and the power dynamic between him and the Kingpin. In that show Osborn was weak and decidedly un-Luthor like. It was the Goblin persona, that second personality I mentioned from classic pre-death comics, that was differentiated from Osborn as the powerful villain. Whereas when he returned in the comics he was just one personality who was supremely confident and competent in both his business and villainy. No more of those Romita panels of Osborn covered in flop sweat, all dazed and confused. No more Peter wondering if Osborn was over it, or cured, like it was a medical condition and not who he actually was as a person.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah but he got kinda roped into it all and was trying to find an out. He was sketchy, but not outright evil. In fact I think he only created Hobgoblin to take out Kingpin so he'd stop leaning on him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

evilmiera posted:

Then stop reading just before the Ultimate Clone Saga.

Edit:As for the reading , if I had the money to read that other comic I would.

I know this sounds crazy but the ultimate clone saga is not bad and if you stop reading there then you won't get to aunt mays and her suoer boarders

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ultimate Clone Saga is just fine. It's pretty good actually. You should read Ultimate Spider-Man all the way until the end. There's only two or at most three subpar arcs in 160+ issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

"Ja, I be blowin up der cars!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

That was a power fantasy for me. Who doesn't want the mutant ability to explode cars?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Geldoff and Ultimate Deadpool really stand out as the only two flat out crappy arcs but even in those books there's some stuff worth reading.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

That was a power fantasy for me. Who doesn't want the mutant ability to explode cars?

Geldoff's powers are not the problem with that loving story.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

X-O posted:

Geldoff and Ultimate Deadpool really stand out as the only two flat out crappy arcs but even in those books there's some stuff worth reading.
That arc, and the fact that it was pretty much his only appearance, always makes me wonder which character had the Ultimate version that was the most removed from their normal 616 importance and popularity.

Ultimate Sebastian Shaw was also a giant waste since he's one of my favorite regular Marvel characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NorgLyle posted:

That arc, and the fact that it was pretty much his only appearance, always makes me wonder which character had the Ultimate version that was the most removed from their normal 616 importance and popularity.

Ultimate Sebastian Shaw was also a giant waste since he's one of my favorite regular Marvel characters.

The most different characters (super powered characters that is because a lot of random names are thrown about at times) I can think of from the 616 versions are Deadpool, Jessica Drew, and Rick Jones who were all pretty much fundamentally different characters. Then you have characters like Reed/Maker or Namor that were kind of similar at first but turned out to be a completely different take by the end. Ultimate Namor at first was thought to be pretty much the same story as ours but it turned out he was actually the most dangerous criminal Atlantis had ever known and had been locked away in a tomb for thousands of years. That was a pretty fun story despite the horrid art from Greg Land who was at his worst at the time.

And Geldoff somehow actually became a 616 character later before being killed off by Bendis, probably in response to how everyone pointed it to be the low point of the entire USM run.

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 9, 2017

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

X-O posted:

And Geldoff somehow actually became a 616 character later before being killed off by Bendis, probably in response to how everyone pointed it to be the low point of the entire USM run.

Geldoff actually managed to become two different 616 characters because Bendis doesn't give a poo poo about continuity, including his own. There was the one he killed off in Secret Invasion and then he made another that was an Inhuman kidnapped by AIM during his Uncanny run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Is it safe to say that I thought Millar's Ultimate Fantastic Four was a good time? Despite Greg Land's art, he did some fun stuff. I still fondly remember the excitement for Crossover, and laughing my rear end off at the twist.

• Locked thread