Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Those old Spidey stripes are amazing! The catti-ness between Gwen and Mary-Jane is hilarious and I even forgot the MJ was around before Gwen died. Good thing I'm reading all the old issues so I can experience it all!

Lee always had girls fighting over Peter. By the time he was dating Betty Brant, MJ, Liz, and Gwen would all hit on him and make obvious passes at him, in front of Betty and in front of their own boyfriends.

The best part, though, is those weird snarky word bubbles they use when they're being vicious to each other. I think Slott has used it a few times and I find those hilarious. It is a nice touch of using a retro feature while at the same time not completely reverting to 1960s art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Those old Spidey stripes are amazing! The catti-ness between Gwen and Mary-Jane is hilarious and I even forgot the MJ was around before Gwen died. Good thing I'm reading all the old issues so I can experience it all!
Finally, to anyone who read Ultimate Spider-Man #1 this week I really hope that's not the real Peter, part of my enjoyment of ultimate spidey is that I never read the Peter stuff so Miles didn't feel like he was in anyone's shadow, under pressure? Yes, but, shadow? No. I had to force myself to think "well, let's see how this plays out" :smith:.

You need to read Amazing Spidey 1-122. You can really see that Mary Jane changes from her first appearance to helping Peter deal with Gwen's death.

As for the Ultimate stuff, look who the bad guys are in the beginning of the issue.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Peter Gwen and MJ is basically Archie Betty and Veronica love triangle. Done well it is a lot of fun and the cattiness is more playful than vicious.

You also have the Black Cat vs Peter vs Spider Man love triangle vs the Lois Superman vs Clark triangle. Today maybe such things would be handled in a serious tone for dramatic affect but back then it was more light hearted.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Gatts posted:

Peter Gwen and MJ is basically Archie Betty and Veronica love triangle. Done well it is a lot of fun and the cattiness is more playful than vicious.

I don't know if this makes me a bad person but I really liked Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane and it was pretty much this. Like someone else said, leaving the main continuity alone and just making a throwback book like this seems like a million times better option if Marvel feels like Spider-Man needs a version that kids can relate to.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The love triangle stuff was also due to John Romita Sr. (The best Spidey artist) coming on board. He was most famous for doing romance comics, so that element was added more to Spidey.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

bobkatt013 posted:

The love triangle stuff was also due to John Romita Sr. (The best Spidey artist) coming on board. He was most famous for doing romance comics, so that element was added more to Spidey.

One of the many reasons I love his run. I've been going back and hitting up the Ditko stuff, and while I love the art in the first run of books, there's a meanness to the characters that's off-putting. I mean, Peter Parker's a complete smug rear end in a top hat most of the time, even when the other kids at school actually try to include him in things! If you read the first few dozen books as the origin story of a teenage supervillain it makes much more sense. And it's not just Peter. That first picture of Gwen Stacy posted a page back is a great example of the how the other supporting characters are generally written--sneering jerks who fail to see Peter's brilliant superiority or something. I think the change to make him less of a loner and more of a guy you really could root for, while taking away the supporting cast's total mindless at-all-times antagonism was for the best.

On the other hand, his first fight with Dr. Doom was loving amazing, like watching two angry 8-year-olds play Calvinball. "I'm going to throw your own laser satellite back at you!" "Nuh uh, the floor is ice now!" "Well then I jump over it and punch your head!" "WHICH WOULD WORK IF THAT WASN'T MY IDENTICAL ROBOT TWIN!"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bobkatt013 posted:

When I was a little kid (in the 80s), Marvel would reprint 3 issues of a classic title into a mini-trade paperback. I got to read a ton of Romita/Lee Spidey this way, and the stories they put together are still fantastic today. I wish they'd bring those back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

XboxPants posted:

I don't know if this makes me a bad person but I really liked Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane and it was pretty much this. Like someone else said, leaving the main continuity alone and just making a throwback book like this seems like a million times better option if Marvel feels like Spider-Man needs a version that kids can relate to.

This wasn't really about making him more relatable.

Its just Q wanted him to be a certain way so he was.

As to why thy just didn't do it in another book, the main SM title will sell well regardless, while satelite books generally struggle really really hard. Hence why they were dissolved and ASM went triple ship.

I am surprised it took them that long to try that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

CharlestheHammer posted:

This wasn't really about making him more relatable.

Its just Q wanted him to be a certain way so he was.

As to why thy just didn't do it in another book, the main SM title will sell well regardless, while satelite books generally struggle really really hard. Hence why they were dissolved and ASM went triple ship.

I am surprised it took them that long to try that.

Yeah the whole "relatable to a younger audience" is hogwash they know spider-man being married isn't what keeps kids out of the comics, the lack of digital distribution is, but they can't do a big push without risking comic shops disappearing all together. Which they care about, for some reason.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Red posted:

When I was a little kid (in the 80s), Marvel would reprint 3 issues of a classic title into a mini-trade paperback. I got to read a ton of Romita/Lee Spidey this way, and the stories they put together are still fantastic today. I wish they'd bring those back.

Digests! I read the original Silvermane story this way, and it was great :) They'd throw in a bunch of other stuff, too, like Hembeck cartoons.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Digests! I read the original Silvermane story this way, and it was great :) They'd throw in a bunch of other stuff, too, like Hembeck cartoons.

Any uk guys/girls here read spidey via the monthly mag "Astonishing Spider-man"? Looking back the price per content was phenomenal, £2.50 got you two current story arc issues and a back up which would be a classic spidey issue or a off-shoot like toxin.

I remember my first copy had Ben Reilly fighting Kane in the front and inside featured JRjr art and just thinking to myself, that's spider-man! That's how he should look, that's how Pete should look it's perfect. 14 years later I'm still reading ol' Web Head :3:

They also had an x-men one which probably made reading x titles much easier.

Ahhh those were the days :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Yep, I followed Astonishing Spider-Man, Essential X-Men (started both with #100, which both had multi-page spreads recapping the entire series up to that point), Mighty World of Marvel (featuring Daredevil and the Hulk), Avengers United (just before it ran JLA/Avengers) and Fantastic Four Adventures.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Any uk guys/girls here read spidey via the monthly mag "Astonishing Spider-man"? Looking back the price per content was phenomenal, £2.50 got you two current story arc issues and a back up which would be a classic spidey issue or a off-shoot like toxin.

I remember my first copy had Ben Reilly fighting Kane in the front and inside featured JRjr art and just thinking to myself, that's spider-man! That's how he should look, that's how Pete should look it's perfect. 14 years later I'm still reading ol' Web Head :3:

I sometimes used to read "Complete Spider-Man" or something which collected together all the different Spidey books at the time (four?) or something like that. At the time I didn't really understand the difference between the books, and I'm not sure I even understand the difference to this day. However, it was pretty cool to have something with a bunch of content and variety.

The one I remember the most had a cool Venom story (the one where he saves that baby from drowning), and a story

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

I'm going to derail this thread for a minute to ask a question. I felt it more appropriate to post in the Spider-Man thread rather than clutter up the forums with another new thread.

I recently got a collection of older Spider-Man comics from a friend of mine who is moving and doesn't want them anymore. One of them (#229) has a signature on it, and neither of us can figure out who it might be. Does anyone happen to know who's signature this is? A few quick searches lead me to believe that it is NOT Stan Lee, John Romita Jr, Jim Mooney, Tom DeFalco or Roger Stern. Any ideas? Surely it is SOMEBODY!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Comedy option is that's Todd Mcfarlane.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

atomicgeek posted:

One of the many reasons I love his run. I've been going back and hitting up the Ditko stuff, and while I love the art in the first run of books, there's a meanness to the characters that's off-putting. I mean, Peter Parker's a complete smug rear end in a top hat most of the time, even when the other kids at school actually try to include him in things! If you read the first few dozen books as the origin story of a teenage supervillain it makes much more sense. And it's not just Peter. That first picture of Gwen Stacy posted a page back is a great example of the how the other supporting characters are generally written--sneering jerks who fail to see Peter's brilliant superiority or something. I think the change to make him less of a loner and more of a guy you really could root for, while taking away the supporting cast's total mindless at-all-times antagonism was for the best.

On the other hand, his first fight with Dr. Doom was loving amazing, like watching two angry 8-year-olds play Calvinball. "I'm going to throw your own laser satellite back at you!" "Nuh uh, the floor is ice now!" "Well then I jump over it and punch your head!" "WHICH WOULD WORK IF THAT WASN'T MY IDENTICAL ROBOT TWIN!"

This is the best picture of Gwen from her first appearance.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

bobkatt013 posted:

This is the best picture of Gwen from her first appearance.

Man Peter what an rear end in a top hat. He's giving her the unexpected cold shoulder. She's used to guys fawning over her and she's in control of her sexuality hooking up with guys but Peters playing the long game and building chemistry. Not being needy and push pulling her and making her curious. Dude got game. No wonder the babes line up for him.

Haha.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Emmitt Nervend posted:

I'm going to derail this thread for a minute to ask a question. I felt it more appropriate to post in the Spider-Man thread rather than clutter up the forums with another new thread.

I recently got a collection of older Spider-Man comics from a friend of mine who is moving and doesn't want them anymore. One of them (#229) has a signature on it, and neither of us can figure out who it might be. Does anyone happen to know who's signature this is? A few quick searches lead me to believe that it is NOT Stan Lee, John Romita Jr, Jim Mooney, Tom DeFalco or Roger Stern. Any ideas? Surely it is SOMEBODY!

If it is none of those then it probably doesn't matter.

Also that is one of the best Spider Man stories of all time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

atomicgeek posted:

If you read the first few dozen books as the origin story of a teenage supervillain it makes much more sense.

That element was certainly deliberate. Peter's future was very uncertain in the early comics: he usually didn't do things for the right reasons, he gave in to rage and desperation more often than not, he was mistrusted and disliked by most of the public... that element of "which way is he going to go" was part of what made the Lee/Ditko comics so interesting. I mean, yeah, in the end he always did the right thing, but they kept you guessing. He even turned tail and ran a bunch of times instead of stepping up to the plate, which is the biggest no-no for a classic superhero.

Now we're left with a character so thoroughly established as a good guy that even hesitation to do the right thing is seen as out of character, and any instance of being mistrusted by someone that isn't Jonah Jameson seems like a strange trope that has no reason to exist anymore. There have been a lot of great stories told with the more grown-up Spidey who's firmly a hero, but some of the magic of the classic stories is lost, which is a shame.

Of course, we've had a lot of people who try to turn back the clock on some of his character development but not other parts of it, which is usually garbage.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

That element was certainly deliberate. Peter's future was very uncertain in the early comics: he usually didn't do things for the right reasons, he gave in to rage and desperation more often than not, he was mistrusted and disliked by most of the public... that element of "which way is he going to go" was part of what made the Lee/Ditko comics so interesting. I mean, yeah, in the end he always did the right thing, but they kept you guessing. He even turned tail and ran a bunch of times instead of stepping up to the plate, which is the biggest no-no for a classic superhero.

Now we're left with a character so thoroughly established as a good guy that even hesitation to do the right thing is seen as out of character, and any instance of being mistrusted by someone that isn't Jonah Jameson seems like a strange trope that has no reason to exist anymore. There have been a lot of great stories told with the more grown-up Spidey who's firmly a hero, but some of the magic of the classic stories is lost, which is a shame.

Of course, we've had a lot of people who try to turn back the clock on some of his character development but not other parts of it, which is usually garbage.

Many of Peter Parker's significant developmental moments involve him throwing his costume in the trash.

He quits in the third issue of ASM after being beaten by Ock. And he quits several times after that over the next 50 years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Red posted:

Many of Peter Parker's significant developmental moments involve him throwing his costume in the trash.

He quits in the third issue of ASM after being beaten by Ock. And he quits several times after that over the next 50 years.

Pretty sure they kind of made fun of it in an issue of Spider-Girl at one point. Something along the lines of:

Mayday Parker/Spider-Girl:He just up and quit!?
Mary-Jane:All the time! It almost seemed like an annual event!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The best part of early ASM is whoever is writing the words on the page clearly doesn't give a gently caress.

ASM #2 spends the entire issue calling him "Peter Palmer".

ASM #3 Doc Ock calls him, in bold letters, Super-Man.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

notthegoatseguy posted:

The best part of early ASM is whoever is writing the words on the page clearly doesn't give a gently caress.

ASM #2 spends the entire issue calling him "Peter Palmer".

ASM #3 Doc Ock calls him, in bold letters, Super-Man.
It's not the letterer, it was Lee himself

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hahahaha

I'm really glad they never bother to correct it in the re-prints. At least they didn't in the Masterworks edition.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

notthegoatseguy posted:

Hahahaha

I'm really glad they never bother to correct it in the re-prints. At least they didn't in the Masterworks edition.

Lee was really, really bad about remembering names.

I'm pretty sure he called the Hulk Bob enough that they retconned his name to Robert Bruce Banner

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Facepalm Ranger posted:

The Astonishing Spider-Man? Son, the comic series that got me into Spider-Man was The Exploits of Spider-Man!

http://www.biblio.com/book/exploits-spider-2329th-june-1994-tim/d/62810768

Check that poo poo out, the very first issue I ever bought. For £2, I got 100 pages of pulse pounding action. And not just ANY Spider-Man stories. It was the first two parts of Maximum Carnage, and an issue of Spider-Man 2099. I even think there was a Venom/Spider-Man arc from just before Maximum Carnage finishing up around that time too.

(And you want to talk about modern comics being confusing? Imagine being a 10 year old trying reading the first two stories where Venom is in San Francisco freaking out over Carnage and wanting to help Spider-Man beat him, then flip forward about 50 pages, and Venom and Spider-Man are in New York pounding each other's heads in and trying to figure out how that worked? Because 10 year old me didn't have no Internet or Wikipedia to figure out that Amazing Spider-Man #373 took place about 8 months before Spider-Man Unlimited #1.)

But reguardless, it was those comics that got me hooked on Spider-Man, and I still have those issues hold up in a locker. Fantastic value.
And the covers. I never realized it, but I think they used original artwork for most of those issues, and they were really good original artwork. That one of Peter/Miguel in the puddle is Amazing. As is another one with the two just webswinging off a building.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Mine didn't have those - just three classic issues.

These (in a lovely iPhone pic) are the only Spidey ones I can find, but I had a bunch more that I've probably lost. Thankfully, I have plenty of GI Joe and Transformer digests, and even a few Star Comics digests (Muppet Babies, ALF, Ewoks/Droids, MadBalls, etc.), too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The solicitations for August's Spidey books are up.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52926

They mention Superior Foes being at it's "Penultimate Hour." Hope that means for the story arc as opposed to the book being completely cancelled next issue.

I'm also very intrigued by Superior Spider-Man getting an issue 32. While it's nice to have Peter Back, Otto's story really isn't done yet, at all.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

The Question IRL posted:

The solicitations for August's Spidey books are up.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52926

They mention Superior Foes being at it's "Penultimate Hour." Hope that means for the story arc as opposed to the book being completely cancelled next issue.

I'm also very intrigued by Superior Spider-Man getting an issue 32. While it's nice to have Peter Back, Otto's story really isn't done yet, at all.

You know foes is getting cancelled. No reason for it to stick around after the end of superior. Plus everyone is coming down from the hawk eye craze (I'm sorry but when I read 1-5 of Hawkeye I wanted it to go away as fast as possible) and superior foes is 100% riding on the coat tails of that.

I also keep forgetting it exists as spidey comes out so frequently comparatively to other comics.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Facepalm Ranger posted:

You know foes is getting cancelled. No reason for it to stick around after the end of superior. Plus everyone is coming down from the hawk eye craze (I'm sorry but when I read 1-5 of Hawkeye I wanted it to go away as fast as possible) and superior foes is 100% riding on the coat tails of that.

I also keep forgetting it exists as spidey comes out so frequently comparatively to other comics.

The reason for it to stick around would be that it is a very good book.

Also your Hawkeye opinions are bad, and you are a bad person because of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only reason people are "coming down" from Hawkeye is because of its release schedule.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Also your Hawkeye opinions are bad, and you are a bad person because of them.

Boo hoo my feelings.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Boo hoo my feelings.

I'm glad you didn't try to defend your position here, as it is inherently indefensible.

And yeah, if Hawkeye was able to maintain it's original monthly schedule no one would be "coming down" from it. It's still my most anticipated book every whenever it comes out.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm glad you didn't try to defend your position here, as it is inherently indefensible.

Oh it's perfectly defensible. I found it boring and not to my liking but, if other people enjoy it, more power to them.

Now get off your Hawkeye horse and talk some spider-man.

I hear issue two comes out today! How will Pete get his way out of Marie's clutches? There is only one answer...

briiiiiing...briiiiing...click, "Hi, Mephesto, yeah it's me Peter. What'll cost for a person to go 'missing'?"

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

A few days ago, I saw a book about Spider-Man hanging out at B&N for about $25. It was The World According to Spider-Man. I really like the writer who did it as it was funny and pretty detailed look into Spider-Man's world that some of the comics just don't get into (especially not any of the comics by Slott).

Does this writer have any actual Spidey titles he's done? Is the book canon and thus worth picking up? I mean I wouldn't be buying it for $25 because Amazon.com clearly has it for $18 but...yeah.

It has a lot of neat things like little fake Avengers IDs for Spidey, a report card for him, a letter from JJ...etc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I hear issue two comes out today! How will Pete get his way out of Marie's clutches? There is only one answer...

briiiiiing...briiiiing...click, "Hi, Mephesto, yeah it's me Peter. What'll cost for a person to go 'missing'?"

"Yeah, so I'm not married but what can I get for my aunt's marriage? Do I have jurisdiction over that?... Fine, be an rear end in a top hat. I've probably got a little residual Doctor Octopus kicking around in my head, and I'll throw in that Living Brain robot to make you cocktails, will that get me anything? "

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Facepalm Ranger posted:

You know foes is getting cancelled. No reason for it to stick around after the end of superior.

Yeah it is so intertwined with SSM that it would be impossible for it to exist without that book. Remember that one time Spider-Man showed up? Crazy.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah it is so intertwined with SSM that it would be impossible for it to exist without that book. Remember that one time Spider-Man showed up? Crazy.

I know and then he said words and webbed away or whatever. Crazy.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Superior Foes could exist without Superior Spider-Man, well Spock is coming back for a bit to prelude Spider-Verse, but Superior Foes isn't going to exist longer because it doesn't sell well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I know and then he said words and webbed away or whatever. Crazy.

Yeah the book has nothing to do with SSM.

• Locked thread