Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't even know how to describe it. It's not quite a steam whistle and not quite the sound of a bomb dropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

I don't even know how to describe it. It's not quite a steam whistle and not quite the sound of a bomb dropping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqPv2SKYUE&t=32s

This?

The video might help answer Grump's question too.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Nevermind. It's the new cartoon. I don't really like it, but they really do give Spider-Man some really cool facial animations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If you want to read some great Spidey comixology is selling Scarlet Spider for .99

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

If you want to read some great Spidey comixology is selling Scarlet Spider for .99

The complete series?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The complete series?

.99 per issue. It's a great deal.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is that the new one with Kaine?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is that the new one with Kaine?

Yep

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sweet! Thanks! :)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When it goes into crossover territory, don't bother with Minimum Carnage. It's soooo bad.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hakkesshu posted:

When it goes into crossover territory, don't bother with Minimum Carnage. It's soooo bad.

I'm still mad they locked the christmas issue with the Minimum Carnage trade.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm reading Deadpool vs. Carnage and its come to me. I've never read a good Carnage story. Do they exist?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

coconono posted:

I'm reading Deadpool vs. Carnage and its come to me. I've never read a good Carnage story. Do they exist?

Yes.

They are written by Zeb Wells and called Carnage: Family Feud and Carnage U.S.A. This first series was going to be Astonishing Spider-Man and Iron Man but it's all basically Carnage.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Superior Carnage had a good first four issues, though it really is much more of a Wizard story (very faithful to Hickman's Wizard in F4 rather than Slott's dumb wizard in some of the Spider-Man stories). The fifth issue is just the likely editorially mandated re-set button.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Read Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine and it was really fun. That Planet Doom spread...

The all-ages Marvel Adventures Spider-Man is surprisingly good, too. I like Chat a lot. Wish they had kept it going.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I kind of wonder if Peter is going to straight up tell Anna Maria the truth and she'll be keepin Otto's memory alive~

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

^burtle posted:

I kind of wonder if Peter is going to straight up tell Anna Maria the truth and she'll be keepin Otto's memory alive~

I kind of hope so.

She knows he's Spider-Man, so it's pretty much not a huge suspension of disbelief at that point.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Seems like a pretty poo poo thing.

"Yeah I'm not actually him anymore, my mind was stolen by a supervillain and that's whom you fell in love with. See you around maybe?"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If there's one thing that Spider-Man needed after BND, it's another harem full of characters that no one really likes. Reboot completely justified.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Flameingblack posted:

If there's one thing that Spider-Man needed after BND, it's another harem full of characters that no one really likes. Reboot completely justified.

To be fair, Peter's "harem" actually did have some likable characters. Norah Winters, MJ, Black Cat, Carol Danvers (sorta). These were all people that fans would have thought were interesting foils for Peter to end up with. It's just unfortunate that he ended up with the blandest one off the bat: Joe Quesada's daughter who he fantasizes hooking up with Spiderman for some reason Carlie Cooper.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

E the Shaggy posted:

To be fair, Peter's "harem" actually did have some likable characters. Norah Winters, MJ, Black Cat, Carol Danvers (sorta). These were all people that fans would have thought were interesting foils for Peter to end up with. It's just unfortunate that he ended up with the blandest one off the bat: Joe Quesada's daughter who he fantasizes hooking up with Spiderman for some reason Carlie Cooper.
There were a lot of people down for Peter and Black Cat/Captain Marvel just trying to make the most of it, but welp, it's Carlie Cooper straight into Anna, two characters made post OMD that no one is very interested in :v:

And now Felecia wants to murder Spider-Man and Carol is long, long gone.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's another thing, Felicia has been around Spider-Man more than enough to realize *something* was hosed up over their fight. Why she's all "must kill spider" instead of trying to figure out what was wrong is baffling.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, that's another thing, Felicia has been around Spider-Man more than enough to realize *something* was hosed up over their fight. Why she's all "must kill spider" instead of trying to figure out what was wrong is baffling.
Dan Slott. Everyone in his comic has been beaten over the head with the stupid stick for the sake of his story-telling. This is a world where Skrulls have very publicly invaded the Earth and no one thinks much of anything.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Soonmot posted:

Not really. You see, Felicia has always loved/lusted after Spider-man but been meh about Peter Parker. In fact, they did break up when Peter explained who he was under the mask.

While their relationship is complex and she does rely on Spider-man (the person) to help her out of jams, she ultimately wants Spider-Man's body in a lustiful manner.
But Felicia is a selfish person. Sure, she does the hero thing and she robs from criminals and those who "can afford it" but she is not above using it as an excuse to enrich herself.

Yet as far as Felicia is concerned, Spider-Man finally got tired of their games. And not only did he web her up instead of their normal sparing/forelplay activity, he called the cops on her. And when she got arrested, all her ill-gotten games over years have been taken from her.

Really Felicia doesn't want to figure out what was wrong with Peter, because that would mean investigating the man beneath the mask and she doesn't care about that. She cares about getting back at the muscular red and blur friend with benefit who decked her and took away all her stuff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

E the Shaggy posted:

I dispute this.

Black Cat hasn't been interesting since her initial arc (with Peter) ended.

She is just kind of there.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What Stan Lee seemed to understand that a lot of other writers/editors don't get is, Peter's got soul and his character grows. Started out as a high school kid, went to college, got a job, had life hit him hard and gave a lot of challenges, and he overcame them or got through them and not always in the best of condition. That's the "relational" aspect to the reader. It's one of the better aspects of JMS' run when he brought him full circle in a mature way by making him a High School teacher and simultaneously having him be a resource for or working for Tony Stark, who in some ways is a successful Peter who applied himself differently before becoming Iron Man (also the whole Howard Stark thing). He's a character that progresses in life even when all he's got is punching Doc Ock's face for the 1000th time as Spider-man. Spider-man is fun, but Peter's life is what gets you hooked and in relation to Spider-man and the consequences of his superhero life impact his regular one.

During Stan Lee's run you had a great supporting cast. You had May, Gwen, Mary Jane, Harry, Flash, sometimes Betty Brant and Jonah Jameson and Robbie. Although it was during college it was really appropriate. You had Flash joining the military, you had Harry and his issues with drugs, Gwen dying as a consequence to his life as Spider-man, Mary Jane and Peter growing closer, him getting married and and growing up. His cast also seemed to be living their own lives versus just being something Peter interacts with to serve a purpose and then disappear. And a lot of it overall is somewhat organic and sensible in development. He's been a popular character throughout all this and a flagship to Marvel, in sales too.

It's part of the reason why OMD and OMIT was so jarring (thought it did lead to some good stories from Joe Kelly, but then again, good writer). Pigeon-holding the character and/or trying to throw him "back to his roots" isn't what the character or book is. Even Stan Lee threw all that b.s. out for the comic strip. Going the Ultimate route or having a flashback book like Spider-man loves MJ, is the way to do it. And why did that work? Because even Bendis had things grow and develop and lead up to Peter's death even if the setting was still high school, the cast grew with him. If they can understand this, put him in the right spot where they want him and surround with an appropriate supporting cast to what his life is, it'll work out much better. Norah Winters was a good one and generally liked, Joe Kelly got a fun character to challenge Peter and she was a co-worker. Carlie Cooper is nerdy girl and Peter-lite, it don't work. She doesn't give anything new or interesting for the character to play off of or take him anywhere. Black Cat was interesting enough and she's stuck around as a supporting character for a long time.

Also, Spider-man shifted a bit when it transitioned from Ditko to Romita Sr. and became a bit more dramatic/soap opera like, probably in part due to Romita Sr.'s style and Stan Lee took it in that direction.

Take a look at this and tell me it's the same character...

vs

(also to throw in some "Parker luck")

That's more interesting than what we get these days and it seems more playful with a bite than anything else.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Characterization over the years pushed Felicia away from that, though.

Though I think they made her forget he was Peter at all when they did the remasking thing, so of course it had to go back and ignore the character growth in favor of that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Not really. You see, Felicia has always loved/lusted after Spider-man but been meh about Peter Parker. In fact, they did break up when Peter explained who he was under the mask.

While their relationship is complex and she does rely on Spider-man (the person) to help her out of jams, she ultimately wants Spider-Man's body in a lustiful manner.
But Felicia is a selfish person. Sure, she does the hero thing and she robs from criminals and those who "can afford it" but she is not above using it as an excuse to enrich herself.

Yet as far as Felicia is concerned, Spider-Man finally got tired of their games. And not only did he web her up instead of their normal sparing/forelplay activity, he called the cops on her. And when she got arrested, all her ill-gotten games over years have been taken from her.

Really Felicia doesn't want to figure out what was wrong with Peter, because that would mean investigating the man beneath the mask and she doesn't care about that. She cares about getting back at the muscular red and blur friend with benefit who decked her and took away all her stuff.

Oh, I understand and agree with Felica doesn't care about Peter. I just take issue that she'd be so hurt by Spock's betrayal that she'd go into full on destroy mode. Black Cat never really struck me as the clingy type, if Spider-Man had actually rejected her, I'd have thought she'd just move on.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Speaking of the change in Spider-Man between when Ditko was on the book, and when Romita took over, CBR talks about a Grant Morrison story that could have been. http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/05/09/comic-book-legends-revealed-470/

Grant Morrison posted:

The Spider-Man of that world is a creepy, skinny Ditko guy, who lives on his own and is shunned by the neighbors.” said Morrison, “He only comes alive when he’s out on the rooftops leaping about and squirting jets of white stuff over everything. Freud would have loved the story as the creepy but ultimately decent Spider-Man meets his counterpart from a place where Peter married a supermodel and made lots of money. The story was based around that tension and the ultimate redemption of the creepy Ditko character. I’d do something different now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Speaking of the change in Spider-Man between when Ditko was on the book, and when Romita took over, CBR talks about a Grant Morrison story that could have been. http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/05/09/comic-book-legends-revealed-470/

Isn't Grant Morrison considered to be close to insane in all seriousness? It's either him or Frank Miller I heard that about... Because that entire quote just feels unhinged and weird.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ThermoPhysical posted:

Isn't Grant Morrison considered to be close to insane in all seriousness? It's either him or Frank Miller I heard that about... Because that entire quote just feels unhinged and weird.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Frank Miller's whacko in a sort of conservative, Islamaphobic rage-filled way. Morrison likes to write some very metatextual, surreal comic stories and is a practicing occultist. They're both a little crazy but in pretty different directions.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

Some of the basic premise kinda sounds like Spider-Men, I wonder if Bendis took some cues from that?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

Cocaine Mescaline is a hell of a drug.

Wacth the Grant Morrison documentary. Cocaine for Morrison is something he adds to his cereal for breakfast every morning.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Gatts posted:

Carlie Cooper is nerdy girl and Peter-lite, it don't work. She doesn't give anything new or interesting for the character to play off of or take him anywhere. Black Cat was interesting enough and she's stuck around as a supporting character for a long time.

The thing about Carlie is that it was the most inorganic relationship seen in the medium of fiction. Every character could not stop saying how perfect she was, and it didn't ring true at all. Marvel had a one issue called "The Great Loves of Spider-Man" and Carlie was on the cover months before they even started dating!

The worst offender was when they originally became a couple. They had gone on a few dates that had essentially barely happened as Peter had to leave to be Spiderman and then the two being an item was never brought up again (except for other characters who would not shut the hell up about it). In the final issue of the Brand New Day era, before Big Time started, Carlie DEMANDED that her and Peter be a couple. Look at this poo poo!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hasn't it been like a decade since Morrison decided to sober up? Dude's always been weird, he turned Wile E. Coyote into Christ before he ever got into the club scene and the drugs therein.

Even as a fan, the mythologizing of Morrison is kind of tedious.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think it's just a big jab at Ditko. Spider-Man becoming an anti-social recluse who can only express himself when he's out super heroing (or making comics in Ditko's case). Grant isn't the first person to make a Freudian joke about Spidey's web, but in the context of a sexless Spider-Man it's a lot more apt.

Grant probably saw something disturbing in the original, tortured loner, version of Spider-Man. We can relate to Peter's problems with bullies, bills, and girls, and share in the escape of putting on a costume and becoming someone that's stronger and wittier than yourself. While that sounds great, it ignores the fact that Peter's life still sucks when he takes off the mask. Spider-Man becomes more of a noble avoidance of his real life problems. Grant likes his heroes mentally and socially healthy in and out of costume.

If he didn't lose the glasses, start riding that scooter, and dating girls, we'd probably have a Peter Parker that hides away in his room reading Ayn Rand.

Spider-Man: Blue is a pretty good showcase of Peter becoming more socially conscious. Tim Sale drawing Gwen and MJ invokes Romita's time on the book, reminding you of when Peter had to face it that he hit the jackpot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Die Laughing posted:

I think it's just a big jab at Ditko. Spider-Man becoming an anti-social recluse who can only express himself when he's out super heroing (or making comics in Ditko's case). Grant isn't the first person to make a Freudian joke about Spidey's web, but in the context of a sexless Spider-Man it's a lot more apt.

I don't think so, he is accurately describing what Peter was like in the Ditko days.

He was really, really pathetic.

Some people miss those days.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Grant is not "lol drugs" so much as he has a throughline of hope in his work and he plays and experiments with concepts often moving things forward and exploring things themeatically and on a, I can't say it any other way, level higher than other writers. It's more high level stuff than just nitty gritty details. In terms of what he did with X-Men and Batman alone shows that much less his original works, sometimes he throws stuff out there that applies but maybe doesn't explore it fully in depth but it fits. He also "gets" Superman and the only other writer in modern times I think does as well is Kurt Busiek. Morrison explores Superman in a more mythological grandoise way while Busiek gets his humanity imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Those old Spidey stripes are amazing! The catti-ness between Gwen and Mary-Jane is hilarious and I even forgot the MJ was around before Gwen died. Good thing I'm reading all the old issues so I can experience it all!

The new Amazing seems a bit jarred but, it'll be interesting once it all comes crashing down, I really do miss the JMS run so much. I figure this is the problem with the character being around for as long as he has, the story was going in a good direction but, someone decided they had push reset to keep him relevant, when gently caress it, high school teacher Peter could still work to this day.
The Ramo Perez story is pretty cool as a back up though, I hope they keep putting it in as a back up and release the .1 in between issues to further the story till it's completion and then do a different back up and follow that system. they won't but, I can dream.

Also the guy Clayton speaks to in the line for spidey's show is Ramon Perez the artist of the issue :eng101:

The 2099 story was weird though, the muggers look like a bunch of hipsters going to a concert who decided, gently caress it let's rob a woman. Maybe they were a bunch a women hating gay men? They were very metro and angry.

Finally, to anyone who read Ultimate Spider-Man #1 this week I really hope that's not the real Peter, part of my enjoyment of ultimate spidey is that I never read the Peter stuff so Miles didn't feel like he was in anyone's shadow, under pressure? Yes, but, shadow? No. I had to force myself to think "well, let's see how this plays out" :smith:.

Interesting two weeks for spider-fans!

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 12, 2014

• Locked thread